Quantcast

2.5 or 3.5 hard disk?

Jeffrey Martin | 360Cities.net
I've finally built my new pc. oh yeah :)

there is a spare 5.25" bay (i'll resign myself to the fact that a dvd drive
will still be necessary for a couple more years - if nothing else than to
copy DVD's we get as gifts)

now, is there any reason not to stick 4 notebook hard disks into one of
these and put it in the spare 5.25 bay?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816119012

is there any huge advantage of 3.5" hard disks over 2.5" hard disks? in my
case, 4x 3.5" disks simply won't fit in my box.

thanks,
Jeffrey

Re: 2.5 or 3.5 hard disk?

thomas bredenfeld
hi jeffrey!

such a close packed hd stack can produce heat problems.

here is some cooler stuff i found during my search for pimping my 2009
mac pro with it's 4 hd's with two additional ssd's for system and
photoshop scratch:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/MM352A52MP8/
http://www.icydock.com/goods.php?id=79
http://www.icydock.com/goods.php?id=114

cheers
thomas

Am 01.02.11 15:17, schrieb Jeffrey Martin | 360Cities.net:

> I've finally built my new pc. oh yeah :)
>
> there is a spare 5.25" bay (i'll resign myself to the fact that a dvd drive
> will still be necessary for a couple more years - if nothing else than to
> copy DVD's we get as gifts)
>
> now, is there any reason not to stick 4 notebook hard disks into one of
> these and put it in the spare 5.25 bay?
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816119012
>
> is there any huge advantage of 3.5" hard disks over 2.5" hard disks? in my
> case, 4x 3.5" disks simply won't fit in my box.
>
> thanks,
> Jeffrey

RE: 2.5 or 3.5 hard disk?

Mark D. Fink
I'd say capacity was one factor. The biggest notebook drives I see at NewEgg
are 1TB. Four of these in a RAID5 environment would effectively give you 3TB
of storage, if I'm counting correctly on my fingers.

Speed is another factor. The ones I saw were all 5200RPM vs. 7200RPM for
similarly priced 3.5" drives. However, four 5200 drives in RAID5 would be
faster than one 3TB 7200 drive, although more expensive overall.

It's an interesting idea, especially since you have the space already. Maybe
this would be a perfect scratch drive for Photoshop and stitching?

Mark

www.northernlight.net
www.virtual-travels.com
www.pinnacle-vr.com

Re: 2.5 or 3.5 hard disk?

Robert C. Fisher
I would look for 2.5" Enterprise drives, better made and I saw some
had issolation so they would not have vibration interaction problems.

On Feb 1, 2011, at 9:45 AM, Mark D. Fink wrote:

> I'd say capacity was one factor. The biggest notebook drives I see
> at NewEgg
> are 1TB. Four of these in a RAID5 environment would effectively give
> you 3TB
> of storage, if I'm counting correctly on my fingers.
>
> Speed is another factor. The ones I saw were all 5200RPM vs. 7200RPM
> for
> similarly priced 3.5" drives. However, four 5200 drives in RAID5
> would be
> faster than one 3TB 7200 drive, although more expensive overall.
>
> It's an interesting idea, especially since you have the space
> already. Maybe
> this would be a perfect scratch drive for Photoshop and stitching?
>
> Mark
>
> www.northernlight.net
> www.virtual-travels.com
> www.pinnacle-vr.com

Cheers
Robert C. Fisher
VR Photography / Cinematography
[hidden email]
http://www.rcfisher.com
Facebook - Robert C. Fisher

Re: 2.5 or 3.5 hard disk?

Tived
you should be fine to do that, using a 4x craddle for 4x 2.5" drives. are you able to connect up an additional 4 drives, or will you need another controller card?

Enterprise grade drives are always the prefered choice if it is HDD's

I guess the question should be what will you be using those drives for? just store more data? or to RAID up 2 or 4 drives to improve the speed of your OS drive or Scratch/temp disk ??? any thoughts?

Henrik

PS : I find that my SSD's do not get very hot, so if there is no fan they should probably be ok, but cooling them would still be desirable.