360 Video

PanoTools NG mailing list
I am getting back into the game after raising our kids and I noticed a lot
of competition is doing 360 Video and charging nothing to do all of this. It
looks like I need to reinvest in automated equipment to keep up and keep
things quicker for low end real estate. Is anyone doing 360 video for real
estate and for high end work? What equipment and software do you use? I am a
cannon shooter. Thanks.

Daniel Sarno

Re: 360 Video

PanoTools NG mailing list
Am 11.04.2017 um 17:02 schrieb lists:
> I am getting back into the game after raising our kids and I noticed a lot
> of competition is doing 360 Video and charging nothing to do all of this. It
> looks like I need to reinvest in automated equipment to keep up and keep
> things quicker for low end real estate. Is anyone doing 360 video for real
> estate and for high end work? What equipment and software do you use? I am a
> cannon shooter. Thanks.

Just my personal opinion: 360Video is over-hyped. The quality is
generally low, not only due to bandwidth restrictions (you need a 4k
Video for a 640x480 viewport), but also because the devices are still
crappy (dynamic range is very low). Parallax errors are inevitable due
to multi-camera-rigs. And what is the point to have the ability to look
sideways or even back when the camera moves forward? A still spherical
panorama with good resolution is far better IMHO, where I can look at
anything unhurriedly.

However, there is very little traffic on this list. Most users have
moved to https://www.facebook.com/groups/panoramicphotographers/

Re: 360 Video

PanoTools NG mailing list
The other day, I went to see, in a museum, a 360 video of 8 or 10 historical museum. When I went there, I was already a little bit skeptical about the quality of the video. It was a big deception. Fortunately, the soundtrack supporting the video was interesting which compensate the lack of visual excitement.

 Because you can add the same soundtrack to a 360° panorama, I agree with Erik, a photo better serve the message.

Re: 360 Video

The Samsung Gear 360 is an easy inexpensive way to dip your toe in the water, the current version does 4K video and 30mp stills and the quality is as good as you can get without spending thousands of dollars, and is now only $189 on Amazon now. Ideally  you need a Samsung phone to run the app, but it can work without as long as you have a Windows PC to process the files. The new 2017 version is due out soon and that will work with an Apple iPhone too, the 4K video is slightly enhanced but the stills drop to 15mp, rumor has it the price will be $250 - $300.

Brian Richards