Quantcast

5D MK II & lens combos - how well do these work (for VR & stills)

5D MK II & lens combos - how well do these work (for VR & stills)

lovefilm
Hi group.

I have been thinking of upgrading my camera from Rebel XTi to Canon 5D MK II for some time now - the Rebel is great for general purpose VR work but I can not effectively use it in low light / event situations.

Well - I just got a fantastic opportunity to shoot a bunch of event VR's for a high end client and will need to make that upgrade now.

A few questions for those experienced with 5D MK II:

I use my Rebel with Sigma 8mm f1.3 - pole panos 4 shots around.

How does the 5D MK II work with this lens - anything I need to be aware of?  Can I shoot a pano with just 3 shots using this combination?

I will need to take some still photos as well but can not at this time afford to purchase any "L" series lenses for the 5D.  I do own a Canon  EF 100mm f2.8 USM Macro lens.

Will I be able to use that lens to capture portrait shots on the 5D MK II?

I also have a Canon Zoom EF 75 - 300mm but the quality is mediocre at best and I have not found it a particularly useful lens.  I imagine that on the 5D - it would perform even worse.

Any advice on the above combinations very much appreciated - I will have only a day or two at most to test before the events.

And one last question:  Anyone know of a good wireless solution for the 5D MK II that would allow me to reliably fire the shutter when the camera is above my head on a pole?

Thanks!

Re: 5D MK II & lens combos - how well do these work (for VR & stills)

Ricardo TVB
 > And one last question: Anyone know of a good wireless
solution for the 5D MK II that would allow me to reliably
fire the shutter when the camera is above my head on a pole?
This remote control works fine for me:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Cleon-Wireless-Remote-C8-Canon-1Ds-5D-Mk-II-III-/270651088355?pt=Camera_Camcorder_Remotes&hash=item3f040fdde3

Em 24/10/2010 13:49, LoveFilm escreveu:

> Hi group.
>
> I have been thinking of upgrading my camera from Rebel XTi
> to Canon 5D MK II for some time now - the Rebel is great
> for general purpose VR work but I can not effectively use
> it in low light / event situations.
>
> Well - I just got a fantastic opportunity to shoot a bunch
> of event VR's for a high end client and will need to make
> that upgrade now.
>
> A few questions for those experienced with 5D MK II:
>
> I use my Rebel with Sigma 8mm f1.3 - pole panos 4 shots
> around.
>
> How does the 5D MK II work with this lens - anything I
> need to be aware of? Can I shoot a pano with just 3 shots
> using this combination?
>
> I will need to take some still photos as well but can not
> at this time afford to purchase any "L" series lenses for
> the 5D. I do own a Canon EF 100mm f2.8 USM Macro lens.
>
> Will I be able to use that lens to capture portrait shots
> on the 5D MK II?
>
> I also have a Canon Zoom EF 75 - 300mm but the quality is
> mediocre at best and I have not found it a particularly
> useful lens. I imagine that on the 5D - it would perform
> even worse.
>
> Any advice on the above combinations very much appreciated
> - I will have only a day or two at most to test before the
> events.
>
> And one last question: Anyone know of a good wireless
> solution for the 5D MK II that would allow me to reliably
> fire the shutter when the camera is above my head on a pole?
>
> Thanks!

AW: [PanoToolsNG] 5D MK II & lens combos - how well do these work (for VR & stills)

ptgroup
8mm / 5D -> 3 shots should go with sufficient overlap.
But 8mm wastes a lot of the sensor !
10mm would be better, 12mm would be the same image-circle as the 8mm at the
crop.

Ciao
Mike

----------------------------
----------------------------
360° VR Fotografie:
http://www.360de.de

NEU: Abstrakte Fotografie unter:
http://www.abstraktfoto.de
-----------------------------
Aktuelles vom Virtugrafen:
http://virtugraf.wordpress.com

Re: 5D MK II & lens combos - how well do these work (for VR & stills)

Bostjan Burger
I use
: http://cgi.ebay.com/Plato-Wireless-Remote-C8-for-Canon-1D-1Ds-II-III-5D-7D_W0QQitemZ390194182011QQcategoryZ64345QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4340.m263QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%252BC%26itu%3DMRU-625%252BUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%26otn%3D15%26pmod%3D270651088355%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D4758601394897387866#ht_3810wt_1139

So far I am very satisfied.
Lense... I use Sigma 8 mm, Nikkor 10.5 mm and Tokina 10-17 mm set at 12 mm
(11~12 mm) for my action panos. 5MKII is the most optimal choice as I get the
highest image resolution.

Bostjan

________________________________
> And one last question: Anyone know of a good wireless
solution for the 5D MK II that would allow me to reliably
fire the shutter when the camera is above my head on a pole?
This remote control works fine for me:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Cleon-Wireless-Remote-C8-Canon-1Ds-5D-Mk-II-III-/270651088355?pt=Camera_Camcorder_Remotes&hash=item3f040fdde3

Em 24/10/2010 13:49, LoveFilm escreveu:

> Hi group.
>
> I have been thinking of upgrading my camera from Rebel XTi
> to Canon 5D MK II for some time now - the Rebel is great
> for general purpose VR work but I can not effectively use
> it in low light / event situations.
>
> Well - I just got a fantastic opportunity to shoot a bunch
> of event VR's for a high end client and will need to make
> that upgrade now.
>
> A few questions for those experienced with 5D MK II:
>
> I use my Rebel with Sigma 8mm f1.3 - pole panos 4 shots
> around.
>
> How does the 5D MK II work with this lens - anything I
> need to be aware of? Can I shoot a pano with just 3 shots
> using this combination?
>
> I will need to take some still photos as well but can not
> at this time afford to purchase any "L" series lenses for
> the 5D. I do own a Canon EF 100mm f2.8 USM Macro lens.
>
> Will I be able to use that lens to capture portrait shots
> on the 5D MK II?
>
> I also have a Canon Zoom EF 75 - 300mm but the quality is
> mediocre at best and I have not found it a particularly
> useful lens. I imagine that on the 5D - it would perform
> even worse.
>
> Any advice on the above combinations very much appreciated
> - I will have only a day or two at most to test before the
> events.
>
> And one last question: Anyone know of a good wireless
> solution for the 5D MK II that would allow me to reliably
> fire the shutter when the camera is above my head on a pole?
>
> Thanks!_,_._,___

Re: 5D MK II & lens combos - how well do these work (for VR & stills)

lovefilm

I have the Canon 10-16mm but it is an EFS lens and will not work with 5D.

When you says "wastes a lot of the sensor" what is meant by this exactly?   Is it that everything will appear further away in regards to using the Sigma 8mm on a 1.6 crop camera?

--- In [hidden email], "ptgroup" <ptgroup@...> wrote:

> 8mm / 5D -> 3 shots should go with sufficient overlap.
> But 8mm wastes a lot of the sensor !
> 10mm would be better, 12mm would be the same image-circle as the 8mm at the
> crop.
>
> Ciao
> Mike
>

> ----------------------------
> ----------------------------
> 360° VR Fotografie:
> http://www.360de.de
>
> NEU: Abstrakte Fotografie unter:
> http://www.abstraktfoto.de
> -----------------------------
> Aktuelles vom Virtugrafen:
> http://virtugraf.wordpress.com

Hans-74

--- In [hidden email], "LoveFilm" <lovefilm@...> wrote:

> I have the Canon 10-16mm but it is an EFS lens and will not work with 5D.
>
> When you says "wastes a lot of the sensor" what is meant by this exactly?   Is it that >everything will appear further away in regards to using the Sigma 8mm on a 1.6 crop >camera?

If you use the 8mm on the 5D your resolution will be slightly less than you get with your Canon XTi

The circle of the image is about 23mm  which on the XTI fills all the sensor height which is 14.8x22.2

On a fullframe camera you just fill half the sensor which is 24x36mm.
So  your resolution will be around  7600x3800 on the XTi and 7200x3600 on the 5D mark II

Hans

Am 24.10.2010 20:27, schrieb LoveFilm:

> When you says "wastes a lot of the sensor" what is meant by this exactly?

You get less resolution. With the 5DII and an 8mm fisheye you get
equirectangular panoramas of about 7200 pixel width, just the same as
for the Rebel XTi. A 10mm fisheye would give you 9600 pixels, a 15mm one
14400. For details see
http://wiki.panotools.org/DSLR_spherical_resolution

Re: 5D MK II & lens combos - how well do these work (for VR & stills)

lovefilm

Thank you Hans for clarifying that for me.  I can live with the slight resolution decrease, especially since I'll gain so much more in shooting flexibility with the improved ISO the 5D has.  Besides, I rarely output panos larger than 6000 x 3000 anyways.

> If you use the 8mm on the 5D your resolution will be slightly less than you get with your Canon XTi
>
> The circle of the image is about 23mm  which on the XTI fills all the sensor height which is 14.8x22.2
>
> On a fullframe camera you just fill half the sensor which is 24x36mm.
> So  your resolution will be around  7600x3800 on the XTi and 7200x3600 on the 5D mark II
>
> Hans

Re: 5D MK II & lens combos - how well do these work (for VR & stills)

Thomas Krüger
Wireless solution: http://martybugs.net/blog/blog.cgi/gear/Phottix-Strato-4-in-1-Trigger.html
With the Phottix Strato you can trigger up to 4 units (camera and flash units).