Advice on viewer/authoring package

Keith Davison-2
I have a flat HTML website with hundreds of equirect panos, they are spread roughly 50/50
between stand-alone single panos and linked multi-pano tours with map interfaces. I have
been using the JAVA based Puretools system for years now, but the impending browser
changes to block JAVA and the inevitable spread of mobile platforms mean that this is no
longer viable.

Pueview seems to have ceased development and their existing Flash option is limited to
simple single pano only.

So, I'm looking for advice on the best authoring/viewer package to replace Puretools/view.
The Puretools system did everything that I needed, full multi-panos tours with map and
hotspot navigation, full/part screen viewer windows and domain linked copy protection.

Will I need to support both Flash and HTML5 viewer options to adequately cover the desktop
and mobile device worlds?

The Puretools system meant that I had to hand code all of the multi-pano tour interfaces
individually, as I will have to recreate all of these again for the new viewer system, any
authoring tools that will speed this up would be very welcome.

The last discussion on the list relevant to this kind of query seems to be back in May 2011,
and the front runners then were KRPano, FFP and Pano 2VR. Are these still the major
contenders?

From the discussion then, it seems that some list members may have had experience with
the various merits of all three systems. I would be grateful for any advice regarding which of
the options might suit my needs best.

Hope you guys can help,

KeithD

Re: Advice on viewer/authoring package

thomas bredenfeld
to bring hundreds of panos / tours to an up-to-date viewer with all the
features you named you should consider combining krpano with a content
management system like drupal which is able to generate krpano xml code.

with this amount of panos (and its redundancy) i think it's worthwhile
to code (or to hire someone to do this).

flash is still necessary for msie 8/9 audience. all others are served
well with html5. krpano can do this with a minimum of redundancy related
to both platforms.

java indeed is a no-go nowadays ;-)

Am 18.02.14 11:58, schrieb Keith Davison:

> I have a flat HTML website with hundreds of equirect panos, they are
> spread roughly 50/50
> between stand-alone single panos and linked multi-pano tours with map
> interfaces. I have
> been using the JAVA based Puretools system for years now, but the
> impending browser
> changes to block JAVA and the inevitable spread of mobile platforms mean
> that this is no
> longer viable.
>
> Pueview seems to have ceased development and their existing Flash option
> is limited to
> simple single pano only.
>
> So, I'm looking for advice on the best authoring/viewer package to
> replace Puretools/view.
> The Puretools system did everything that I needed, full multi-panos
> tours with map and
> hotspot navigation, full/part screen viewer windows and domain linked
> copy protection.
>
> Will I need to support both Flash and HTML5 viewer options to adequately
> cover the desktop
> and mobile device worlds?
>
> The Puretools system meant that I had to hand code all of the multi-pano
> tour interfaces
> individually, as I will have to recreate all of these again for the new
> viewer system, any
> authoring tools that will speed this up would be very welcome.
>
> The last discussion on the list relevant to this kind of query seems to
> be back in May 2011,
> and the front runners then were KRPano, FFP and Pano 2VR. Are these
> still the major
> contenders?
>
>>From the discussion then, it seems that some list members may have had
> experience with
> the various merits of all three systems. I would be grateful for any
> advice regarding which of
> the options might suit my needs best.
>
> Hope you guys can help,
>
> KeithD

Re: Advice on viewer/authoring package

Sacha Griffin
I second this. Ive been using drupal as a krpano cms for 3 or 4 years
now to tile images, reorder scenes, manage titles, encryption,
descriptions, logos, hotspots, templates and much more.
There is only a little you need to code for in terms of html5 which
the future and more cross platform than flash ever was. But at least
for me flash is more smoother on the desktop.

Now to the nitty gritty. This route is EXPENSIVE and time consuming to
get it to production. But does save an infinite amount of time once
its done. Putting together a tour and editing it would take 20-25
minutes and you never have syntax errors.

Another thing you can do is drop the cms and use php and an include
file to set customization of your xml.
This is fairly easy to do, no sql necessary, and secure.

The last and final route is simplest. Access the server and run
krpanotools to multi resolution tile thosd equirectangulars.. But
probably they are all 6000 which are pretty low res. I remember using
that dimension for pure. If you have larger images use those.
Then use a template and find and replace for the image names. Tiling
on the server will save you upload time.

Sacha Griffin
http://www.seeit360.com
http://twitter.com/SeeIt360
http://www.facebook.com/SeeIt360
EMAIL: [hidden email]
IM: [hidden email]
Office: 404-551-4275

> On Feb 18, 2014, at 8:23 AM, Thomas Bredenfeld <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> to bring hundreds of panos / tours to an up-to-date viewer with all the
> features you named you should consider combining krpano with a content
> management system like drupal which is able to generate krpano xml code.
>
> with this amount of panos (and its redundancy) i think it's worthwhile
> to code (or to hire someone to do this).
>
> flash is still necessary for msie 8/9 audience. all others are served
> well with html5. krpano can do this with a minimum of redundancy related
> to both platforms.
>
> java indeed is a no-go nowadays ;-)
>
> Am 18.02.14 11:58, schrieb Keith Davison:
>>

>> I have a flat HTML website with hundreds of equirect panos, they are
>> spread roughly 50/50
>> between stand-alone single panos and linked multi-pano tours with map
>> interfaces. I have
>> been using the JAVA based Puretools system for years now, but the
>> impending browser
>> changes to block JAVA and the inevitable spread of mobile platforms mean
>> that this is no
>> longer viable.
>>
>> Pueview seems to have ceased development and their existing Flash option
>> is limited to
>> simple single pano only.
>>
>> So, I'm looking for advice on the best authoring/viewer package to
>> replace Puretools/view.
>> The Puretools system did everything that I needed, full multi-panos
>> tours with map and
>> hotspot navigation, full/part screen viewer windows and domain linked
>> copy protection.
>>
>> Will I need to support both Flash and HTML5 viewer options to adequately
>> cover the desktop
>> and mobile device worlds?
>>
>> The Puretools system meant that I had to hand code all of the multi-pano
>> tour interfaces
>> individually, as I will have to recreate all of these again for the new
>> viewer system, any
>> authoring tools that will speed this up would be very welcome.
>>
>> The last discussion on the list relevant to this kind of query seems to
>> be back in May 2011,
>> and the front runners then were KRPano, FFP and Pano 2VR. Are these
>> still the major
>> contenders?
>>
>>> From the discussion then, it seems that some list members may have had
>> experience with
>> the various merits of all three systems. I would be grateful for any
>> advice regarding which of
>> the options might suit my needs best.
>>
>> Hope you guys can help,
>>
>> KeithD

Re: Advice on viewer/authoring package

Keith Davison-2
Many thanks to Thomas and Sacha for their replies to my query. Perhaps I did not explain my
needs well, as the suggested solutions seem to be overkill for my particular problem.

Although I have hundreds of them, the panos are only a small ( but essential! ) part of my
website, I do not want to have to redesign the entire site content and navigation ( eg. by
switching to Drupal or similar ) just to switch the pano viewer.

The easiest answer for me would be to simply replace each instance of exisiting Pureview
viewer/GUI/tour code where it appears in my website with the equivalent new viewer solution
code/files.

A simple piecemeal replacement method like this would allow me to gradually convert the
pano content of the site as I have time available. This is exactly the method I used when I
transitioned from PTViewer to PureTools, and it worked well for me.

Would KRPano allow me to do this and is it the best option for this kind of approach?

I dimly remember a lot of discussion on this list eons ago regarding the use of browser
sniffers in order to feed visitors the correct flavour of pano viewer, is this still required for
HTML5/Flash?

Whichever new solution I end up with, it will need to have a good user support forum, as I will
probably need a lot of help!

Thanks again for helping me with this guys.

Keith D.

Re: Advice on viewer/authoring package

Sacha Griffin
Krpano can do it for sure as a drop in replacement. But equirectangulars
suck for performance and should be retiled. I'm also pretty sure html5 only
supports cubic or multires cubic.

Sacha Griffin
http://www.seeit360.com
http://twitter.com/SeeIt360
http://www.facebook.com/panoramas/
IM: [hidden email]
Office: 404-551-4275

On Feb 19, 2014, at 9:49 AM, Keith Davison <[hidden email]> wrote:

Many thanks to Thomas and Sacha for their replies to my query. Perhaps I
did not explain my
needs well, as the suggested solutions seem to be overkill for my
particular problem.

Although I have hundreds of them, the panos are only a small ( but
essential! ) part of my
website, I do not want to have to redesign the entire site content and
navigation ( eg. by
switching to Drupal or similar ) just to switch the pano viewer.

The easiest answer for me would be to simply replace each instance of
exisiting Pureview
viewer/GUI/tour code where it appears in my website with the equivalent new
viewer solution
code/files.

A simple piecemeal replacement method like this would allow me to gradually
convert the
pano content of the site as I have time available. This is exactly the
method I used when I
transitioned from PTViewer to PureTools, and it worked well for me.

Would KRPano allow me to do this and is it the best option for this kind of
approach?

I dimly remember a lot of discussion on this list eons ago regarding the
use of browser
sniffers in order to feed visitors the correct flavour of pano viewer, is
this still required for
HTML5/Flash?

Whichever new solution I end up with, it will need to have a good user
support forum, as I will
probably need a lot of help!

Thanks again for helping me with this guys.

Keith D.

Re: Advice on viewer/authoring package

Keith Davison-2
> Krpano can do it for sure as a drop in replacement. But equirectangulars
> suck for performance and should be retiled. I'm also pretty sure html5 only
> supports cubic or multires cubic.

OK I'll download the trial KRPano and see what it offers.

Do you know offhand if it supports layers with switchable visibility? So you can, say,
superimpose upper and lower floorplans and have the pano ID toggle the correct map layer
visible?

If you're right about the format, I'll probably have to convert a lot of the exisiting equis to
cubes. Many are up to 14 years old now and although they are tiny by modern standards, I
really don't want to rescan all those negs.

Dear me, 56k dial up modems and film, remember them?

KeithD

Re: Advice on viewer/authoring package

Sacha Griffin
I remember 300 baud modems, sepia monitors, and hard drives you had to park
at night!!

Krpano supports pretty much anything you can conceive. Only problems are
the browsers like Apple safari on iOS that's not webgl ready so no flash
360 video and little planet transitions.

On Feb 19, 2014, at 3:44 PM, Keith Davison <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Krpano can do it for sure as a drop in replacement. But equirectangulars
> suck for performance and should be retiled. I'm also pretty sure html5
only
> supports cubic or multires cubic.

OK I'll download the trial KRPano and see what it offers.

Do you know offhand if it supports layers with switchable visibility? So
you can, say,
superimpose upper and lower floorplans and have the pano ID toggle the
correct map layer
visible?

If you're right about the format, I'll probably have to convert a lot of
the exisiting equis to
cubes. Many are up to 14 years old now and although they are tiny by modern
standards, I
really don't want to rescan all those negs.

Dear me, 56k dial up modems and film, remember them?

KeithD

Re: Advice on viewer/authoring package

Keith Davison-2
> I remember 300 baud modems, sepia monitors, and hard drives you had to park
> at night!!

OK, I'll see your fancy sepia monitor and parkable HD, and raise you a green screen with
8" floppy drive.

Damn, it'll be punched tape next.............  mind you, it could be used decoratively at
Christmas.....

KeithD

Re: Advice on viewer/authoring package

Roger D Williams
And *I* remember when the only way I could save programs and data was on a
cassette recorder recording the 300 baud audio stream. Each recording was
made three times to ensure the necessary, ah, redundancy. (Translate: On
average it took three attempts to get one good record.) Ah, those were the
days!

My university had a computer that filled a large air-conditioned room and
the rental was a million yen a month (think US$10,000!). My iPhone is many
times more powerful. Many MANY!

Roger W.

image001.jpg (456 bytes) Download Attachment
image002.jpg (460 bytes) Download Attachment

Am 19.02.2014 21:48, schrieb Sacha Griffin:
> I remember 300 baud modems, sepia monitors, and hard drives you had to park
> at night!!

My first shareware I earned some money with was a screen saver for
hercules graphics cards with integrated auto park for HDDs - in under 1
kB (!) written in pure assembler ;-)