Aerial panoramas made with multirotor drone

Aerial panoramas made with multirotor drone

PanoTools NG mailing list
Hi all,
would like to share some of my recent aerial panoramas made with my multirotor drone.
The drone is equipped with a 3 axis brushless gimbal, a Sony Alpha 6000 with 8mm Samyang or 12mm Samyang lenses.
The latest panoramas can be viewed here on 360cities:
SkyPano https://www.360cities.net/sets/image_sets/skypano

 https://www.360cities.net/sets/image_sets/skypano

 SkyPano https://www.360cities.net/sets/image_sets/skypano Eine Sammlung von Luft-Panoramen in 100m Höhe. Mehr Details finden sie auf meiner Seite: www.luftpano.de

 View on www.360cities.net https://www.360cities.net/sets/image_sets/skypano
 Preview by Yahoo

 Technical details of all my equipment can be found on my website:http://www.luftpano.de/multikopter/ http://www.luftpano.de/multikopter/
 Sorry the website is German language only, but if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Re: Aerial panoramas made with multirotor drone

PanoTools NG mailing list
Great panos!

I'm just starting doing some panos using a multicopter and Sony NEX 5N.

Can you share how you are getting such good images of the sky overhead? I
can see that if you have an unobstructed view of the sky from the ground,
taking the sky photos from the ground and then adding them to the aerial
mosaic is straight forward. How do you handle the sky photos when there are
buildings or trees blocking some parts of the sky?

Thanks

Re: Aerial panoramas made with multirotor drone

PanoTools NG mailing list
Hi Phill,
for such cases I have saved different sky pictures which I reuse when needed.If you review some of my aerial panoramas have a similar sky, of course I adapt the light and color to match the other pictures.
Regards Traugott

Re: Aerial panoramas made with multirotor drone

PanoTools NG mailing list
Very impressive sky integration. building a 'sky' library seems like a good idea.

I use a GoPro camera, set to take a still image every 5 seconds plus video, and navigate the drone using video goggles. To shoot a panorama, I tilt the camera 35° down and spin the drone slowly. There is always some parallax but it's insignificant at the distance.

Pano of my neighbourhood:  http://www.uricogan.com/home http://www.uricogan.com/home

Earlier pano: http://www.uricogan.com/qtvr/burgoyne/ http://www.uricogan.com/qtvr/burgoyne/

Equipment: DJI F550 hexacopter, Tarot gimbal, GoPro Hero V3 Black.

Re: Aerial panoramas made with multirotor drone

PanoTools NG mailing list
Hi ..very nice work ..I hope I get some courage to make some aerials 360
too.

it is very impressive the quality difference betwen the go pro and the sony
6000

take care
Fernando
Salvador Bahia
www.facebook.com/Salvador360

--
71 9906 9966 vivo
71 9173 2722 tim
71 3331 6723 fixo

Re: Aerial panoramas made with multirotor drone

PanoTools NG mailing list
Yes, I know how it feels to lift a expensive camera...
I started with a gopro around 3 years ago, btw. I think this was the first one I shoot with the GoproHD
https://www.360cities.net/image/gopro-hd-aerial-panorama https://www.360cities.net/image/gopro-hd-aerial-panorama#-470.03,28.01,78.0
but if you want better quality you need to go for a real camera. Gopro is good for video footage when you are limited by wight or external environment.

Coastal Optics 4.88mm fisheye

Hi All,

Have you seen this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151431090251

It's the Coastal Optics 4.88mm fisheye on an IPIX rotator.
I was talking directly with the seller and he has a bunch of them that
he is willing to sell for US$450 + shipping if you contact him directly:
adam spafford <[hidden email]>
So drop Adam a line if you are interested.
I'm thinking of buying one to play with. It looks like it has a Canon "T
mount" adapter which should be easy to change to other"T mount" adapters

All the best
Steve

Re: Coastal Optics 4.88mm fisheye

PanoTools NG mailing list
Why ? The quality is rather poor. I guess if you have a VERY specific use for a 4.88mm lens that it might be worth. I remember these lenses going for $4000+ years ago.

Matt

Matt wrote:
> The quality is rather poor.

Really? I didn't realise they were that bad

Thanks
Steve

Re: Coastal Optics 4.88mm fisheye

PanoTools NG mailing list
these  tiny lenses are worth 50$ not more....

Willy

On Oct 13, 2014, at 12:33, Steve Morton [hidden email] [PanoToolsNG] <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Matt wrote:
>> The quality is rather poor.
>
> Really? I didn't realise they were that bad
>
> Thanks
> Steve

> Yahoo Groups Links

Re: Coastal Optics 4.88mm fisheye

PanoTools NG mailing list
AFAIK Coastal Optical (then a Subsidiary of Jenoptik Germany) have designed and produced two different 185° Fisheye lenses for SLR photography. Both were included in the famous comparison reported in 2001 in the paper "Fisheye lens design and their relative performance" by Kumler and Bauer.

The older model was the monstrous (and rare) 7.45 mm f2.8 (adjustable) that could suit a 35 mm SLR despite a weight of 3.63 kg, length and diameter of 180 mm.
The second model, subject of the O.P., is the 4.88 mm f5.2 lens that was intended to be primarily used with an APS-c DSLR for getting a smallish 14.9 mm DIA. circular fisheye image. Dwarfed by its older sibling with a 85.2 mm DIA. front lens cover, a 106 mm length and a weight of 0.5 kg it was however not the tiniest of all fisheyes!
It was also sold by Minds-Eye-View (IPIX) as part of an "Immersive Photography kit" composed of that lens together with a "heavy-duty 2-shot rotator". Price of the combo was $5750 in 2007!
Sunex introduced then a very similar combo comprising a simpler 5.6 mm f5.6 lens called Superfisheye at a lesser (but IMO still outrageous) price.
By the same token, the Sigma 4.5 mm f2.8 EX DC circular fisheye lens is primarily dedicated for use on a cropped sensor DSLR.

FYI all here-above mentioned lenses are listed by Luca Vascon at http://panopticus.altervista.org/fishlist/fishlist.htm

Michel

On Oct 13, 2014, at 11:16 AM, Michel Thoby [hidden email] [PanoToolsNG] <[hidden email]> wrote:

> a "heavy-duty 2-shot rotator"

It was more than “heavy-duty”, it was out right heavy! I remember picking one up one time and it was like a boat anchor. I think it may have belonged to Jook Leung and he was using it with a Nikon 8mm f:2.8 (maybe IPIX made one for that lens as well.) When you sell something for that much money, maybe you feel like it should have a lot of heft?

Thank goodness for smaller fisheyes, cameras and lightweight rotators. The TomShot rotator for the micro-4/3 Rokinon 7.5mm lens is only 110g!

John

John C. Riley

Office: (864) 503-5775
Cell: (864) 431-7075
Home (864) 461-3504

email

Re: Coastal Optics 4.88mm fisheye

My recollection is that these Coastal Optical lenses were designed and built specifically for IPIX as an option for APS-C digital cameras, in lieu of using the Nikkor 8mm on a 35mm film camera.  They were provided with the heavy steel rotator, and were intended to capture an entire spherical view in two shots.  I believe their field of view was about 185° in order to provide a small overlap between hemispheres.

Coastal Optical designed these to have very minimal chromatic aberration (something most other true fisheyes like the Nikkor 8mm suffered -- even worse for the Sigma versions), and to contain the full image circle within the then less-than-full-frame sensors, which were the only option for digital cameras at the time.  Hence, their significant price tags.  I believe they were only sold through IPIX, as they were designed and built specifically for the company.  After IPIX went bankrupt, I believe Coastal Optical sold them independently for a while.

During the sordid history of this era of VR photography, Ford Oxxal (proprietor of Mind's Eye View) sued IPIX for supposedly stealing his intellectual property with their development of the IPIX / Omniview / Tele-Robotics International spherical imaging technology.  The two parties reached a settlement wherein Oxxal was reportedly paid a very small fee, in order to make the lawsuit go away.  According to sources at IPIX, this saved them the incredible expense of defending what they felt was a baseless lawsuit, but gave IPIX a license to continue using their own technology, and gave Oxxal the ability to maintain that IPIX licensed HIS technology.  He promptly started going after other players in the VR imaging industry, threatening legal action if they didn't pay him licensing fees, as well.

After IPIX's bankruptcy, Oxxal / Mind's Eye View and others pursued purchase of IPIX's patent portfolio at bankruptcy auction, but were outbid by Sony.  If I recall corruptly, Sony paid about $7 million for these, and many of us were excited about what a large company like Sony might do with them in terms of releasing commercial VR products.  Unfortunately, we've not really seen anything in this area resulting from Sony since then, and I suspect that most of the patents have expired (or are close to it) by now.  Oxxal and Mind's Eye View were the successful high bidder on IPIX's remaining physical property at a subsequent auction, which included furniture, electronics, software packages, various cameras and lenses (including Coastal Optical items, plus one Nikkor 6mm, several Nikkor 8mm, etc.), as well as the IPIX name, web domain, and logos.  Oxxal and Mind' Eye View have continued to sell IPIX software and camera kits (using predominantly Sunex lenses) on the ipix.com web site, with IPIX's Interactive Studio software -- which still requires payment of an annual licensing fee.

I never did use any of these Coastal Optical lenses, but I understood from others that they were quite good for their intended purpose.  My experience with IPIX technology was limited to shooting primarily with the Nikkor 8mm on 35mm film, but we did a number of leading edge projects with this combination (including photography of Toyota's entire product line in the late '90s for a couple of years).  I still have an 8mm Nikkor, as well an an inferior Sigma 8mm, in my studio closet, along with several of the heavy IPIX rotators.  None of them have seen any use for quite a few years now.

Scott Highton
Author, Virtual Reality Photography
Web: http://www.vrphotography.com

Re: Coastal Optics 4.88mm fisheye [1 Attachment]

PanoTools NG mailing list
Scott, very interesting.

I have been trying to forget the entire IPIX story, even though it never
directly involved me. I imagine that, as usual, the guys behind it got their
assets out well before the crash and made a bundle.

I assume it was an auto-correct, or maybe a Freudian slip, when you said "​ If
I recall corruptly, Sony paid ..."

Also interesting to see that the PanoTools list is not quite dead. Did you
cross-post to the QTVR list?
![:-)](cid:bwWtCiPBeD11KQqlhE_e7S5zwV1LPjyoGVrhpJvZ8eGgvzCXc.mail.virtualguidebooks.com)

Don

Sent with [inky](http://inky.com?kme=signature)
"Scott Highton [hidden email] [PanoToolsNG]" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> domain, and logos. Oxxal and Mind' Eye View have continued to sell IPIX
> software and camera kits (using predominantly Sunex lenses) on the ipix.com
> web site, with IPIX's Interactive Studio software -- which still requires
> payment of an annual licensing fee.
>

> I never did use any of these Coastal Optical lenses, but I understood from
> others that they were quite good for their intended purpose. My experience
> with IPIX technology was limited to shooting primarily with the Nikkor 8mm on
> 35mm film, but we did a number of leading edge projects with this combination
> (including photography of Toyota's entire product line in the late '90s for a
> couple of years). I still have an 8mm Nikkor, as well an an inferior Sigma
> 8mm, in my studio closet, along with several of the heavy IPIX rotators. None
> of them have seen any use for quite a few years now.

smiley-smile.png (1020 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: Coastal Optics 4.88mm fisheye

Hi Don,

Yes, that was a spell-check miscorrection… it should have been, "if I recall correctly…"

I did not cross post the message, since the PanoTools discussion was occurring here.  If there's value to be gained from disseminating the discussion (or my part of it) elsewhere, you have my permission to do so.

Scott

Scott Highton
Author, Virtual Reality Photography
Web: http://www.vrphotography.com

Re: Coastal Optics 4.88mm fisheye

PanoTools NG mailing list
Scott,

My quip about the QTVR list was because it seems to be deader even than the
PanoTools list. Quite amazing how lists and e-mail have faded into
insignificance so rapidly and completely.

wrote:

> Hi Don,
>
> Yes, that was a spell-check miscorrection… it should have been, "if I recall
> correctly…"
>
> I did not cross post the message, since the PanoTools discussion was
> occurring here.  If there's value to be gained from disseminating the
> discussion (or my part of it) elsewhere, you have my permission to do so.
>

> Scott
>
> Scott Highton
> Author, Virtual Reality Photography
> Web: http://www.vrphotography.com

> Yahoo Groups Links

Re: Coastal Optics 4.88mm fisheye

PanoTools NG mailing list
On Wed, Oct 15, 2014 at 1:38 PM, [hidden email] [PanoToolsNG] <
[hidden email]> wrote:

>  Scott,
>
> My quip about the QTVR list was because it seems to be deader even than
> the PanoTools list. Quite amazing how lists and e-mail have faded into
> insignificance so rapidly and completely.

Don + Scott
blogs, sites, etc
all going down
Facebook and Twitter took the world  :-(

Ayrton

+55-21-99982.6313
http://ayrton360.com
twitter.com/ayrton360

*"It's not WHAT you shoot. It's the WAY you shoot it."*

> Don
>

>   Sent with inky <http://inky.com?kme=signature>
>
>  "Scott Highton [hidden email] [PanoToolsNG]" <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Don,
>

> Yes, that was a spell-check miscorrection… it should have been, "if I
> recall correctly…"
>

> I did not cross post the message, since the PanoTools discussion was
> occurring here.  If there's value to be gained from disseminating the
> discussion (or my part of it) elsewhere, you have my permission to do so.
>

> Scott
>

> Scott Highton
>
> Author, Virtual Reality Photography
>
> Web: http://www.vrphotography.com

>     Individual Email | Traditional

>     (Yahoo! ID required)
>

>     [hidden email]
>
>     [hidden email]
>

>     [hidden email]
>

>     https://info.yahoo.com/legal/us/yahoo/utos/terms/

Re: Aerial panoramas made with multirotor drone

Do not know why Willy and Matt writes that the quality is so poor it may be lack of knowledge, as there never produced anything better if you take the right purpose in mind.
It is the only fisheye lens that provides full image circle of good quality dx (and almost completely on Micro 4/3) format. Sunex is not even close.
CA, and f-theta distorion is also very low. less work :-)
For me there is no alternative if one's purpose is:
making 360 degree spherical video with only two streams.
aerial view with just one shot down and replacing the sky.
Quick and easily shoot 2-3 around for real estate 360 ° or the like.

I have 2 coastall 4,88mm as it was planned to use to produce sperical video, but have lost interest, so if anyone in the EU are interested, they can be bought for 1000 euros total. Just send a message.

Regards
Per Bruus

Re: Aerial panoramas made with multirotor drone

PanoTools NG mailing list
sorry it was a misunderstanding from my side I mixed that lens up with another one.

Willy

On Oct 15, 2014, at 19:05, [hidden email] [PanoToolsNG] <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Do not know why Willy and Matt writes that the quality is so poor it may be lack of knowledge, as there never produced anything better if you take the right purpose in mind.
> It is the only fisheye lens that provides full image circle of good quality dx (and almost completely on Micro 4/3) format. Sunex is not even close.
> CA, and f-theta distorion is also very low. less work :-)
> For me there is no alternative if one's purpose is:
> making 360 degree spherical video with only two streams.
> aerial view with just one shot down and replacing the sky.
> Quick and easily shoot 2-3 around for real estate 360 ° or the like.
>
> I have 2 coastall 4,88mm as it was planned to use to produce sperical video, but have lost interest, so if anyone in the EU are interested, they can be bought for 1000 euros total. Just send a message.
>
> Regards
> Per Bruus

Re: Coastal Optics 4.88mm fisheye

There's a good reason for the QTVR list to be dead since it's not even
supported/working with quicktime anymore.

If it weren't for itunes there wouldn't even be quicktime.  I haven't run
into a page with a recent quicktime mov in years.

Best Regards,

Sacha Griffin

http://www.seeit360.com <http://www.seeit360.com/>

http://twitter.com/SeeIt360