Automating depth of field reduction - Aligning a stack of slightly different points of view

Automating depth of field reduction - Aligning a stack of slightly different points of view

Antonin Roussel
Hello,

I "discovered" a way to give a macrophoto look'n'feel to monument
building pictures, but I feel my process to be time consuming. I wonder :
  - if it is possible to improve Hugin usage in this concern, or
  - if another software would be more accurate, or
  - if Hugin python scripting can help, or
  - ... any comment ?

Process :
I'm taking photos of a monument, about 50-100 from a set of slightly
different points of view (all spread within a 30cm side square). I want
to align all those photos on a tiny set of points, from 1 up to 3. These
points are the same on every pair of photos. These points are expected
to be on resulting picture focal plane. Once aligned, the set of photos
is exported as a set of Remapped Images, and then dropped in Siril for
sum stacking. Gimp can import the three color channels of the resulting
file_stacked.fit and displays the monument in a macrophoto look'n'feel.

Settings :
In order to automate the Control Points Creation as expected, around
expected focal plane, I use the same Crop Mask on every photos before
launching creation. Once done, restore default cropping (none)
In order to limit the number of Control Points, I use the following
customized Control Point Detector Program command `cpfind --linearmatch
--sieve2width 2 --sieve2height 2 -o %o %s`

Problems are multiple :
  - if points of view are too different (centered differently), Crop
Masks need to be individually adjusted
  - automated control points are obviously not the same, randomly not
close enough

Wishes :
  - get a way to generate all control points from the ones manually set
in the first pair of photos.

Idea :
  - once a pair of photos is aligned, close Hugin. Edit file.pto in a
text editor to spread first pair of photos Control Points to every
following pair. Then open this modified file.pto and run "Edit > Fine
tune all Points". Not yet tested.

NB :
Siril (https://www.siril.org/) can align photos, but as it is made for
astronomers, it is looking for stars and seems not able to align
building pictures.

Thank you for your attention.

Re: Automating depth of field reduction - Aligning a stack of slightly different points of view

Am 19.03.2020 um 10:55 schrieb Antonin Roussel:
> I'm taking photos of a monument, about 50-100 from a set of slightly
> different points of view (all spread within a 30cm side square). I want
> to align all those photos on a tiny set of points, from 1 up to 3. These
> points are the same on every pair of photos. These points are expected
> to be on resulting picture focal plane. Once aligned, the set of photos
> is exported as a set of Remapped Images, and then dropped in Siril for
> sum stacking. Gimp can import the three color channels of the resulting
> file_stacked.fit and displays the monument in a macrophoto look'n'feel.

Interesting idea. Kind of lightfield photography through the backdoor.
However, if you seek help for hugin problems it might be better to ask
on the hugin mailing list:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/hugin-ptx

PanotoolsNG is pretty inactive nowadays, unfortunately...

Le 19/03/2020 à 10:55, Antonin Roussel a écrit :
> Hello,
>
> I "discovered" a way to give a macrophoto look'n'feel to monument
> building pictures, but I feel my process to be time consuming. I wonder :
> .../...
Hello again,
as the previous excerpt was part of my first post on this list, and as
no comment was given, I now wonder if this first post has actually
reached the list.
Are we supposed to receive a copy of the post we send ?
Thank you for reading.

Automating depth of field reduction - Addendum

Antonin Roussel
Addendum

According to the idea suggested, I manage to align my pictures using
Hugin in two main steps, run as two projects. It's working fine, and
needs you to be perseverent. Here are the details:

  * Project one : prepare pre-aligned pictures on the subject
     1. Masks tab > Crop tab > Crop > check "All images of selected lens"
        crop around subject "focal plane"
        then roughly align
              o [copied from previous post "Settings :" part]
                In order to automate the Control Points Creation as
                expected, around expected focal plane, I use the same
                Crop Mask on every photos before launching creation.
                Once done, restore default cropping (none) In order to
                limit the number of Control Points, I use the following
                customized Control Point Detector Program command
                `cpfind --linearmatch --sieve2width 2 --sieve2height 2
                -o %o %s`
     2. Masks tab > Crop tab > Crop > check "All images of selected
        lens" + reset cropping
     3. In "Fast Preview panorama" window: Crop tab > HDR Autocrop
     4. Stitch in "Remapped Images:"
  * Project two : fine align
     1. Add remapped images
     2. Align image-0 and image-1 with two points (on subject "focal plane")
     3. save
     4. close
  * Edit plain text pto file, part "# Controls points" and repeat
    alignment first points on each following images pairs
      o What you see:
        # control points
        c n0 N1 x1837.45203469205 y1999.00689622047 X2150.0061340898
        Y2013.09575035756 t0
        c n0 N1 x1893.93936109372 y2632.40244711498 X2219.65035682863
        Y2644.06221765228 t0
      o What you get:
        # control points
        c n0 N1 x1837.45203469205 y1999.00689622047 X2150.0061340898
        Y2013.09575035756 t0
        c n0 N1 x1893.93936109372 y2632.40244711498 X2219.65035682863
        Y2644.06221765228 t0
        .../...
        c n7 N8 x1837.45203469205 y1999.00689622047 X2150.0061340898
        Y2013.09575035756 t0
        c n7 N8 x1893.93936109372 y2632.40244711498 X2219.65035682863
        Y2644.06221765228 t0
        c n8 N0 x1837.45203469205 y1999.00689622047 X2150.0061340898
        Y2013.09575035756 t0
        c n8 N0 x1893.93936109372 y2632.40244711498 X2219.65035682863
        Y2644.06221765228 t0
      o save
      o close
  * Project two : reopen the project with Hugin
      o Menu > Edit > Fine-tune all Points
      o Optimise
      o Stitch in Remapped Images
  * Final step is with Siril to sum this stack.

Re: Automating depth of field reduction - Aligning a stack of slightly different points of view

Roger Goodman
Antonin,

This message made it to the list (obviously); I don't recall if your
first message made it.

Roger

Thank you Roger.
I now also receive copies of my messages, so it looks well connected 5/5.

Am 21.04.2020 um 19:51 schrieb Antonin Roussel:

> as the previous excerpt was part of my first post on this list, and as
> no comment was given, I now wonder if this first post has actually
> reached the list.

There was a comment given and no, you don't get a special email. You
need to either set your mail delivery options to digest or individual
email or read the list on yahoo or nabble:
http://panotools-ng.586017.n4.nabble.com/

Automating depth of field reduction - Samples

Antonin Roussel

in order to figure out what I'm trying to do within my previous post, I
let you see some samples, hosted on my piwigo galery (behind a
redirection managing server maintenance period).
A pair of them gives an good idea of what kind of "/macrophoto
look'n'feel/" can be expected from this experience of "/depth of field
reduction/":

  * ancient tower emerging from Figeac city (stack of 9 pictures)
    http://antonin.roussel.free.fr/g/?path=picture.php%3F%2F116845%2Ftags%2F1668-montagempdc
  * platanus tree in a square (stack of 140 pictures)
    http://antonin.roussel.free.fr/g/?path=picture.php%3F%2F116947%2Ftags%2F1668-montagempdc

Regards

Re: Automating depth of field reduction - Samples

Michael Hodish
That is a very interesting look, I like it!

Mike