Quantcast

Bohemian Paradise, Czech Republic

erik_leeman
Hi all,

For those with a taste for green stuff and rocks and a healthy dislike of concrete and bricks, AND(!) with BIG screens and FAST internet connections, I've got some ridiculously large panoramas to show you:

<http://tinyurl.com/Direct-to-Fullscreen-CeskyRaj>

Only Flash10, file size is about 13MB each.

When you click on a thumbnail a VR-panorama will load and open in full screen.

Why so large? Cube face size is 2880x2880 and they're highly detailed.

I shot them in June of this year in the Czech Republic, and really like them myself. I hope some of you will like them as well.

Please note: I will only keep these very large versions on my website for a week of so because I need the space for other things.

Thanks for having a look!

Erik Leeman

(<http://www.erikleeman.com> <http://www.flickr.com/photos/erik-nl/>)

Re: Bohemian Paradise, Czech Republic

akameus
Eric,

Delicious. Wonderfully detailed. Were these shot with your 5D and Sigma Fisheye
?

Randy Kosek

________________________________

Re: Bohemian Paradise, Czech Republic

erik_leeman
Hi Randy,

Thanks for having a look!
Yep, still the same gear I have been using since 2006 : )
As long as lenses don't substantially improve I won't need another camera or lens. Lighter and more compact would be nice though.
In case you'd like to know, here's a picture of how I shot them:
<http://www.flickr.com/photos/erik-nl/4758067733/>

The forest ones were taken on a rather overcast day, so exposure was a bit 'longish' at 1/30sec. (ISO 200 and F8.0) for shooting with a 3.4m monopod. I was lucky to get enough really sharp photos, but it was close!

Cheers!

--- In [hidden email], Randy Kosek wrote:

> Eric,
>
> Delicious. Wonderfully detailed. Were these shot with your 5D and
> Sigma Fisheye
> ?
> Randy Kosek

Re: Bohemian Paradise, Czech Republic

Roger D Williams
On Mon, 01 Nov 2010 01:35:22 +0900, erik_leeman <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> For those with a taste for green stuff and rocks and a healthy dislike
> of concrete and bricks, AND(!) with BIG screens and FAST internet
> connections, I've got some ridiculously large panoramas to show you:
>
> <http://tinyurl.com/Direct-to-Fullscreen-CeskyRaj>
>
> Only Flash10, file size is about 13MB each.
>
> When you click on a thumbnail a VR-panorama will load and open in full
> screen.
>
> Why so large? Cube face size is 2880x2880 and they're highly detailed.
>
> I shot them in June of this year in the Czech Republic, and really like
> them myself. I hope some of you will like them as well.
>
> Please note: I will only keep these very large versions on my website
> for a week of so because I need the space for other things.

I'm sorry that they will only be available for such a short time. They
are so beautiful that they would repay many visits.

When I was a rock climber (50 years ago! I think I would have had fun on
those rocks in the forest.

Roger W.

Business: www.adex-japan.com
Pleasure: www.usefilm.com/member/roger

Am 01.11.2010 04:05, schrieb Roger D. Williams:

> When I was a rock climber (50 years ago! I think I would have had fun on
> those rocks in the forest.

You still can ;-) We just celebrated my fathers 80th birthday. He used
to climb in that area when he lived in the czech republic (until 1967).
This summer he was there to meet his old climbing companions - just in
Hruba Scala BTW. They all are more or less 80 now but some of them still
climb.

I was there, too, some years ago and I climbed a bit (well, not much, it
was a pretty wet august that year). But I took some panoramas of course:
http://pano.erik-krause.de/czech/index.htm#P3

Am 31.10.2010 17:35, schrieb erik_leeman:
> For those with a taste for green stuff and rocks and a healthy
> dislike of concrete and bricks, AND(!) with BIG screens and FAST
> internet connections, I've got some ridiculously large panoramas to
> show you:
>
> <http://tinyurl.com/Direct-to-Fullscreen-CeskyRaj>

Finally I took the time to wait until they are loaded. It is a bit
annoying that I can't have them load in the background and do something
else meanwhile - not even on a secondary monitor.

However, those are wonderful and perfect panoramas which justify every
minute of wait time.

Re: Bohemian Paradise, Czech Republic

crane

must be the monkey gene. don't take that the wrong way
mick

Re: Bohemian Paradise, Czech Republic

erik_leeman
Thank you for your generous compliment Erik!
And sorry for the annoyance, I'll soon replace them with smaller, non-instant full screen versions and publish them on my regular website.
But for now I *really* want these large versions to be seen full screen, NOT scaled down in a tiny window that will make them shimmer and simply too small. That would completely ruin the first impression.
So I made sure that doesn't happen : )

Thanks for checking them out!

--- In [hidden email], Erik Krause wrote:

> Am 31.10.2010 17:35, schrieb erik_leeman:
> > For those with a taste for green stuff and rocks and a healthy
> > dislike of concrete and bricks, AND(!) with BIG screens and FAST
> > internet connections, I've got some ridiculously large panoramas
> > to show you:
> > <http://tinyurl.com/Direct-to-Fullscreen-CeskyRaj>
>
> Finally I took the time to wait until they are loaded. It is a bit
> annoying that I can't have them load in the background and do
> something else meanwhile - not even on a secondary monitor.
>
> However, those are wonderful and perfect panoramas which justify
> every minute of wait time.
> --
> Erik Krause
> http://www.erik-krause.de

Re: Bohemian Paradise, Czech Republic

erik_leeman
Dear Roger,

Looking at the webstats over the last few days it seems I seriously underestimated the willingness of people to download panofiles of over 10MB. I expected only a handful would, but although not huge by any standard, the numbers really surprised me.
This made me reconsider my plans, I think maybe I should make a special 'branch' on my website for huge panos for those who have the bandwidth and suitable hardware.
I'll take some time though, because I'll need to move all QuickTime and Webkit/CSS3 versions over to Amazon S3, I simply don't have the room for both on my own website.

Well, better get to it then : )

Thanks for having a look and your kind words Roger!

Kind regards,

--- In [hidden email], "Roger D. Williams" wrote:

> I'm sorry that they will only be available for such a short time.
> They are so beautiful that they would repay many visits.
>
> When I was a rock climber (50 years ago! I think I would have had
> fun on those rocks in the forest.
>
> Roger W.
> --
> Business: www.adex-japan.com

Re: Bohemian Paradise, Czech Republic

PanoToolsNG.10.m8
This may not be a very objective test.
As you didn't have an alternative model to view, everyone who wanted to
look, 'had' to then open the 'huge panos'.

I only looked at one of them.

Cheers,
Darren.

)Looking at the webstats over the last few days it seems I
)seriously underestimated the willingness of people to download
)panofiles of over 10MB. I expected only a handful would, but
)although not huge by any standard, the numbers really surprised me.
)This made me reconsider my plans, I think maybe I should make
)a special 'branch' on my website for huge panos for those who
)have the bandwidth and suitable hardware.
)I'll take some time though, because I'll need to move all
)QuickTime and Webkit/CSS3 versions over to Amazon S3, I simply
)don't have the room for both on my own website.
)
)Well, better get to it then : )
)
)Thanks for having a look and your kind words Roger!
)
)Kind regards,
)
)Erik Leeman
)

Re: Bohemian Paradise, Czech Republic

Wim Koornneef
Erik thanks for sharing your fine panos of this beautiful place.
Downloading the large panos (I looked all of them) was not an issue for me, after all you gave a clear warning that the panos are huge.

Best,
Wim

Re: Bohemian Paradise, Czech Republic

John Houghton
Very nice, Erik.  I appreciate the natural rendering of the colours and the lack of artifacts.  The panoramas loaded in acceptable times for me of between 10 and 20 seconds, so not a problem.

John

--- In [hidden email], "erik_leeman" <erik.leeman@...> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> For those with a taste for green stuff and rocks and a healthy dislike of concrete and bricks, AND(!) with BIG screens and FAST internet connections, I've got some ridiculously large panoramas to show you:
>
> <http://tinyurl.com/Direct-to-Fullscreen-CeskyRaj>
>
> Only Flash10, file size is about 13MB each.
>
> When you click on a thumbnail a VR-panorama will load and open in full screen.
>
> Why so large? Cube face size is 2880x2880 and they're highly detailed.
>
> I shot them in June of this year in the Czech Republic, and really like them myself. I hope some of you will like them as well.
>
> Please note: I will only keep these very large versions on my website for a week of so because I need the space for other things.
>
> Thanks for having a look!
>
> Erik Leeman
>
> (<http://www.erikleeman.com> <http://www.flickr.com/photos/erik-nl/>)

Re: Bohemian Paradise, Czech Republic

erik_leeman
Thanks for the feedback John!

To make room on my webserver I moved all my QuickTimeVR/DevalVR panos over to Amazon S3, and if I didn't make any stupid mistakes they should all still work like they used to : )

So now I can add some more of those biggies, and I started by adding a view of Trosky castle from a field nearby to the Bohemian Paradise test page.

I also re-uploaded the large version of a pano from Plymouth that I had to take down earlier because of insufficient storage space.
For those who haven't seen it yet: it's a PanoToolsNG parade on its way to the aquarium during our get-together in August. There's some pretty well-known panoheads and panohats amongst them ; )

<http://www.erikleeman.com/HTM/DirectFullscreen-english-Plymouth.htm>

Both of these panos are about 10MB in size (you've been warned!).

I guess these might also be a useful demonstration of the qualities of a Sigma 15mm Fisheye on a Canon 5D, as discussed in another thread.

--- In [hidden email], "John Houghton" wrote:

> Very nice, Erik.  I appreciate the natural rendering of the colours
> and the lack of artifacts.  The panoramas loaded in acceptable
> times for me of between 10 and 20 seconds, so not a problem.
>
> John

Re: Bohemian Paradise, Czech Republic

bigwade
Damn Erik, a lot of Wim's..
and I'm not sure about Torsten/me at the Kiosk site, is it real :-) ???????

Nice work, HiRes Rules !!

Re: Bohemian Paradise, Czech Republic

Robert Harshman

I agree higher resolution is great when you want it and the load times are not an issue for a "destination" site especially if warned in advance.

I only looked at the first one, wonderful shot, you should have carved your name in the nadir stump :)

But, the shimmer when moving the view is intense, strong enough to give someone prone to strobe issues a seizure. Will any Flash player ever get even close to the smoothness of Devalvr via Shockwave ?

My personal view is shimmer is the biggest problem this format has and it's enough to make a lot of viewers go away.

Regards,

Robert

--- In [hidden email], "erik_leeman" <erik.leeman@...> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> For those with a taste for green stuff and rocks and a healthy dislike of concrete and bricks, AND(!) with BIG screens and FAST internet connections, I've got some ridiculously large panoramas to show you:
>
> <http://tinyurl.com/Direct-to-Fullscreen-CeskyRaj>
>
> Only Flash10, file size is about 13MB each.
>
> When you click on a thumbnail a VR-panorama will load and open in full screen.
>
> Why so large? Cube face size is 2880x2880 and they're highly detailed.
>
> I shot them in June of this year in the Czech Republic, and really like them myself. I hope some of you will like them as well.
>
> Please note: I will only keep these very large versions on my website for a week of so because I need the space for other things.
>
> Thanks for having a look!
>
> Erik Leeman
>
> (<http://www.erikleeman.com> <http://www.flickr.com/photos/erik-nl/>)

Re: Bohemian Paradise, Czech Republic

Trausti Hraunfjord
Yes.

Not only close, but matching... and even go beyond.

http://www.neowin.net/news/adobe-releasing-apis-to-support-3d-acceleration

Will have to be built on the new upcoming API's though, so no currently
existing players can get there.

Trausti

On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 11:51 AM, robert <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Will any Flash player ever get even close to the smoothness of Devalvr via
> Shockwave ?
> Regards,
> Robert

Re: Bohemian Paradise, Czech Republic

erik_leeman
Hi Robert,
I certainly agree that the image quality of FlashVR is nowhere near that of DevalVR, no discussion about that!
But may I ask what monitor size you used?

The cube face size of these high-res panos is 2880x2880 pixels, and at the initial vFoV of 60 degrees Ken Turkowski's calculators tell us a screen hight of 1663 would be a perfect fit. So they should look good and not oversharpened or aliased on a 2560x1440 or 2560x1600 screen. When zoomed fully in they have a vFoV of 45 degrees, and that should work well with a screen height of about 1200.

However, on my 1920x1200 Eizo they look absolutely fine, I cannot see the excessive shimmering that you describe. Sure, DevalVR looks MUCH better, especially when panning, but this is Flash.

I could (and maybe should) increase my Pano2VR Render Quality setting from 10 to 12, but then my poor old (Pentium 4) PC would not even get to the 7 fps it barely manages now.

Also in Pano2VR I have 'Decrease Quality while moving', 'Change stage quality', and 'Change bitmap filtering' unchecked by the way.

In about a year or so I expect screen sizes of well over 1920x1200 to be quite common, and hardware accelerated Flash will be *essential* to keep up with those dimensions.

--- In [hidden email], "robert" wrote:

> I agree higher resolution is great when you want it and the load
> times are not an issue for a "destination" site especially if
> warned in advance.
>
> I only looked at the first one, wonderful shot, you should have
> carved your name in the nadir stump :)
>
> But, the shimmer when moving the view is intense, strong enough to
> give someone prone to strobe issues a seizure. Will any Flash
> player ever get even close to the smoothness of Devalvr via
> Shockwave ?
>
> My personal view is shimmer is the biggest problem this format has
> and it's enough to make a lot of viewers go away.
>
> Regards,
>
> Robert

Re: Bohemian Paradise, Czech Republic

Robert Harshman

--- In [hidden email], "erik_leeman" <erik.leeman@...> wrote:

> Hi Robert,
> I certainly agree that the image quality of FlashVR is nowhere near that of DevalVR, no discussion about that!
> But may I ask what monitor size you used?

Hi Erik, I'm using a single 24 inch Samsung 1920 by 1200, while I'm traveling with a Nivida GeForce 9800 GTX+ card.

There must be something about this monitor and/or graphics card as I tend to see a lot more shimmer than others appear to or perhaps it just bothers me more, not sure.

Regards,

Robert

Re: Bohemian Paradise, Czech Republic

AYRTON - avi
On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 5:24 PM, robert <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  --- In [hidden email], "erik_leeman" <erik.leeman@...>
> wrote:
> > Hi Robert,
> > I certainly agree that the image quality of FlashVR is nowhere near that
> of DevalVR, no discussion about that!
> > But may I ask what monitor size you used?
>
> Hi Erik, I'm using a single 24 inch Samsung 1920 by 1200, while I'm
> traveling with a Nivida GeForce 9800 GTX+ card.
> There must be something about this monitor and/or graphics card as I tend
> to see a lot more shimmer than others appear to or perhaps it just bothers
> me more, not sure.

Robert and Erk
I'm on a MAC, macbook pro,  using a 24" external Dell
No shimmering at all !

best
AYRTON

> Regards,
>
> Robert

+ 55 21 9982 6313 - RIO
+ 55 11 3717 5131 - SP
http://ayrton360.com
twitter.com/ayrton360

Re: Bohemian Paradise, Czech Republic

Hans-74

--- In [hidden email], "erik_leeman" <erik.leeman@...> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> For those with a taste for green stuff and rocks and a healthy dislike of concrete and bricks, AND(!) with BIG screens and FAST internet connections, I've got some ridiculously large panoramas to show you:
>
> <http://tinyurl.com/Direct-to-Fullscreen-CeskyRaj>
>
> Only Flash10, file size is about 13MB each.
>
> When you click on a thumbnail a VR-panorama will load and open in full screen.
>
> Why so large? Cube face size is 2880x2880 and they're highly detailed.
>
> I shot them in June of this year in the Czech Republic, and really like them myself. I hope some of you will like them as well.
>
> Please note: I will only keep these very large versions on my website for a week of so >because I need the space for other things.

Beautiful panoramas. I am almost getting homeseek. Reminds me of my native home place in Sweden.

Regarding size I have given up the max 2 mb long time ago. With the speed we have today 10 mb is not at all very large.

Buit 10 mb is very different depending on several things.

Within Europe it should not be a  problem. I assume your server is in Europe or may be not?
I have a 15 Megabit connection and your panos take 27-35 sec to load.

I  uploaded a large panorama for testing a  week ago.
This one is 12 mb 4000x4000 cubefaces with FPP.
http://www.panoramas.dk/panorama/FPP-QTVR/cubes-nostream.html

It takes just 8 sec to load fully for me . The server is the best in UK.

I have the same using a QTVR movie as source.
http://www.panoramas.dk/panorama/FPP-QTVR/qtvr.html
That one takes 16 sec to load but you see the first tiles in 1 sec as I use 3x3 tiling.

If you look at the smallest panoramas at  360cities you have to  load 12 mb also and it takes often 50 sec to load it all.
The initial view to fill the browser is 7-8 mb and even if you pan slow you see previews even after some time.
A high resolution pano often downloads 20-30 mb.

Main reason is that KRPano loads all the smaller cubefaces also even if you just use step 3.  This ads extra download and in addition the Google Maps are 1 mb.
As the server is in US it takes double as long time  to load. I never have more than 6 megabit from US. Usually it is around 4-5-

Hans