Quantcast

Canon EF 8-15mm f/4 L USM Fisheye

Carlos Chegado - carloschegado.com
Any brave soul out there wants to be the first to shoot some panos with
the Canon EF 8-15mm f/4 L USM Fisheye and let us know how good is it?

Amazon just started to take pre-orders of this lens:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0040X4OZU

--

Os melhores cumprimentos,
Best regards,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Carlos Chegado

Olho de Peixe Lda
Rua Miguel Pais, 48 - B, 2830-356 Barreiro, Portugal
Tel: (+351) 210 88 91 92, Fax: (+351) 210 88 91 99

|| Skype: carloschegado || facebook.com/carloschegado ||
twitter.com/carloschegado ||

www.xprints.com ||

|| 360cities.net/profile/carlos-chegado || ivrpa.org/user/2153 ||

Re: Canon EF 8-15mm f/4 L USM Fisheye

Bostjan Burger
I have ordered it about month ago. The delivery is expected in the mid January -
at last in Slovenia. In mean time I bought Tokina 10-17, shaved it and I am very
pleased with the picture quality resoult. As it is a very light lense and Canon
8-15 seems quite  heavy I am seriously considering to cancel the order. I have
Canon 15 mm and I don't see much difference between the Tokina at 15 mm.

Bostjan

________________________________

Re: Canon EF 8-15mm f/4 L USM Fisheye

Carlos Chegado - carloschegado.com
Bostjan,

Yes, I think exactly the same.
I already have the Canon 15mm Fisheye, the Tokina 107 Fisheye, the
Nikkor 10.5 Fisheye, the Sigma 8mm Fisheye, etc, will be very hard for
me to justify another fisheye lens purchase, unless the benefit in
quality is such that replaces a couple of my current lenses for the better.

Lets wait and see ;-)

Os melhores cumprimentos,
Best regards,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On 23-10-2010 16:53, Bostjan Burger wrote:

> I have ordered it about month ago. The delivery is expected in the mid
> January -
> at last in Slovenia. In mean time I bought Tokina 10-17, shaved it and
> I am very
> pleased with the picture quality resoult. As it is a very light lense
> and Canon
> 8-15 seems quite heavy I am seriously considering to cancel the order.
> I have
> Canon 15 mm and I don't see much difference between the Tokina at 15 mm.

Re: Canon EF 8-15mm f/4 L USM Fisheye

Hans-74

--- In [hidden email], Bostjan Burger <si_lander@...> wrote:

> I have ordered it about month ago. The delivery is expected in the mid January -
> at last in Slovenia. In mean time I bought Tokina 10-17, shaved it and I am very
> pleased with the picture quality resoult. As it is a very light lense and Canon
> 8-15 seems quite  heavy I am seriously considering to cancel the order. I have
> Canon 15 mm and I don't see much difference between the Tokina at 15 mm.

If you can not see any difference you have not done a real test.

Here is my test of Canon 15mm and Tokina 10-17 at 15mm
http://www.panoramas.dk/panorama/canon-tokina/

Hans

> Bostjan
>

> ________________________________

I don't need to make tests. For my way of work my subyective experience of the
resoult counts. It is a diffrence between the lenses technically ... but not
such a big one with the final VR images.

Bostjan

________________________________
> I have ordered it about month ago. The delivery is expected in the mid January
>-
>
> at last in Slovenia. In mean time I bought Tokina 10-17, shaved it and I am
>very
>
> pleased with the picture quality resoult. As it is a very light lense and Canon
>
> 8-15 seems quite  heavy I am seriously considering to cancel the order. I have

> Canon 15 mm and I don't see much difference between the Tokina at 15 mm.

If you can not see any difference you have not done a real test.

Here is my test of Canon 15mm and Tokina 10-17 at 15mm
http://www.panoramas.dk/panorama/canon-tokina/

Hans

Re: Canon EF 8-15mm f/4 L USM Fisheye

Keith Davison-2
Interesting, did you use manual or AF for these shots?

Keith

--- In [hidden email], "Keith Davison" <megakd@...> wrote:

> Interesting, did you use manual or AF for these shots?
>
> Keith
>
> > If you can not see any difference you have not done a real test.
> >
> > Here is my test of Canon 15mm and Tokina 10-17 at 15mm
> > http://www.panoramas.dk/panorama/canon-tokina/

They are focused manually with Live View

Hans

Re: Canon EF 8-15mm f/4 L USM Fisheye

Bruce Hemming
Like Carlos I want one but can't really justify buying one - then
again..........;-)  "Not that we needed all that for the trip, but
once you get into a serious drug (LENS) collection, the tendency is to
push it as far as you can."  With apologies to, and great respect of,
Hunter S Thompson

Bruce Hemming
Bruce Hemming Photography
Tel: +44 (0)1580 200277
Mobile: +44 (0)7974 918414
e-Mail: [hidden email]
Skype: bhemmingphoto
web :http://www.bhphoto.biz/

Re: Canon EF 8-15mm f/4 L USM Fisheye

luca vascon-3
So...
I'm a lens collector. I'm a FISHEYE collector. And a test lens addicted
too..

I agree with HANS!!!!!
My tests lead to consider 10-17 tokina a good lens at all, worth the money,
and really flexible.

Said that it was easily outperformed by a lot of other lenses I tried.
Another thing to consider is lens SAMPLES!! For instance, 15mm Canon I
tested is NOT as sharp as Hans' example, a bit better than Tokina but not so
much.
And 15mm Sigma in my hands IS as good as Hans' Canon, I think.

2010/10/24 Bruce Hemming <[hidden email]>

> Like Carlos I want one but can't really justify buying one - then
> again..........;-)  "Not that we needed all that for the trip, but
> once you get into a serious drug (LENS) collection, the tendency is to
> push it as far as you can."  With apologies to, and great respect of,
> Hunter S Thompson
>
> Bruce Hemming
> Bruce Hemming Photography
> Tel: +44 (0)1580 200277
> Mobile: +44 (0)7974 918414
> e-Mail: [hidden email]
> Skype: bhemmingphoto
> web :http://www.bhphoto.biz/

Luca Vascon.

www.canalview.it
www.officinepanottiche.com

--- In [hidden email], luca vascon <luca.vascon@...> wrote:

> So...
> I'm a lens collector. I'm a FISHEYE collector. And a test lens addicted
> too..
>
> I agree with HANS!!!!!
> My tests lead to consider 10-17 tokina a good lens at all, worth the money,
> and really flexible.
>
> Said that it was easily outperformed by a lot of other lenses I tried.
> Another thing to consider is lens SAMPLES!! For instance, 15mm Canon I
> tested is NOT as sharp as Hans' example, a bit better than Tokina but not so
> much.
> And 15mm Sigma in my hands IS as good as Hans' Canon, I think.

The Tokina is fine at 10-12mm. Just as good as Nikkor 10.5mm actually I would call it superior to the 10.5 as the 10.5mm also reduces the resolution at the 160-180 area with 20%.

Regarding the Sigma 15mm I got this Canon-Sigma test sent to me by John Houghton.
http://www.gletscherbruch.de/foto/test/fisheye/fish.html

Hans

> 2010/10/24 Bruce Hemming <bruce@...>
>
> > Like Carlos I want one but can't really justify buying one - then
> > again..........;-)  "Not that we needed all that for the trip, but
> > once you get into a serious drug (LENS) collection, the tendency is to
> > push it as far as you can."  With apologies to, and great respect of,
> > Hunter S Thompson
> >
> > Bruce Hemming
> > Bruce Hemming Photography
> > Tel: +44 (0)1580 200277
> > Mobile: +44 (0)7974 918414
> > e-Mail: bruce@...
> > Skype: bhemmingphoto
> > web :http://www.bhphoto.biz/

> > --
> >

> --
> Luca Vascon.
>
> www.canalview.it
> www.officinepanottiche.com

Re: Canon EF 8-15mm f/4 L USM Fisheye

luca vascon-2

> The Tokina is fine at 10-12mm. Just as good as Nikkor 10.5mm actually I
> would call it superior to the 10.5 as the 10.5mm also reduces the resolution
> at the 160-180 area with 20%.
>
> Regarding the Sigma 15mm I got this Canon-Sigma test sent to me by John
> Houghton.
> http://www.gletscherbruch.de/foto/test/fisheye/fish.html
>
> Hans

Interesting link, thanx!
The 15mm Canon I had been testing has probably something that is not ok.
The results I had with the Sigma are actually very very close to the ones
John brings out. Slightly better at the borders after CA correction. The
lens has sweet spot at f8, weak borders at f2.8 with vignetting, recovering
and beeing good from 3.5.
I heard good and bad things about the 15mm Canon, but I see good results
from you, John and others. We all know sigma had some problems in uniformity
of production, specially with some difficult lenses as 12-24 fullframe,
maybe there is a bunch of weak 15Canon?

Very curious to see 8-15.

Re: Canon EF 8-15mm f/4 L USM Fisheye

Matthew Rogers - 360Precision
The due date of the lens has now been pushed out to March 2011 so I guess we'll be seeing it in May :(

Matt

On 25 Oct 2010, at 15:16, Luca Vascon wrote:

> > The Tokina is fine at 10-12mm. Just as good as Nikkor 10.5mm actually I
> > would call it superior to the 10.5 as the 10.5mm also reduces the resolution
> > at the 160-180 area with 20%.
> >
> > Regarding the Sigma 15mm I got this Canon-Sigma test sent to me by John
> > Houghton.
> > http://www.gletscherbruch.de/foto/test/fisheye/fish.html
> >
> > Hans
> >

> Interesting link, thanx!
> The 15mm Canon I had been testing has probably something that is not ok.
> The results I had with the Sigma are actually very very close to the ones
> John brings out. Slightly better at the borders after CA correction. The
> lens has sweet spot at f8, weak borders at f2.8 with vignetting, recovering
> and beeing good from 3.5.
> I heard good and bad things about the 15mm Canon, but I see good results
> from you, John and others. We all know sigma had some problems in uniformity
> of production, specially with some difficult lenses as 12-24 fullframe,
> maybe there is a bunch of weak 15Canon?
>
> Very curious to see 8-15.

Re: Canon EF 8-15mm f/4 L USM Fisheye

bigwade
Sig/canon (http://www.gletscherbruch.de/foto/test/fisheye/fish.html) is a matter of production and focus.
Hans, you ever had a RAW file for download (not sure, panoguide?) and it's not better or worse than my Sig 15 IMHO
MY Tokina @15mm is worse :-)

--- In [hidden email], bigwade <celsius@...> wrote:

> Sig/canon (http://www.gletscherbruch.de/foto/test/fisheye/fish.html) is a
> matter of production and focus.
> Hans, you ever had a RAW file for download (not sure, panoguide?) and it's
> not better or worse than my Sig 15 IMHO
> MY Tokina @15mm is worse :-)

I never had aSigma 15mm but I have this test comparing the Tokina and the Canon at 15mm.
http://www.panoramas.dk/panorama/canon-tokina/

Hans

Re: Canon EF 8-15mm f/4 L USM Fisheye

panovrx-2

--- In [hidden email], "Hans" <hans@...> wrote:

> --- In [hidden email], bigwade <celsius@> wrote:
> >

> > Sig/canon (http://www.gletscherbruch.de/foto/test/fisheye/fish.html) is a
> > matter of production and focus.
> > Hans, you ever had a RAW file for download (not sure, panoguide?) and it's
> > not better or worse than my Sig 15 IMHO
> > MY Tokina @15mm is worse :-)
>

> I never had aSigma 15mm but I have this test comparing the Tokina and the Canon at 15mm.
> http://www.panoramas.dk/panorama/canon-tokina/
>
> Hans

Compared with a Nikkor 10.5mm my Sigma 15mm has a different kind of flare behavior -- ie. a general veiling haze compared to the more compact (and often more retouchable) flare artefacts of the Nikkor. The Nikkor is much sharper wide open but stopped down they have the same sort of sharpness I would say. The Nikkor shaved has 200 degrees of coverage on full frame - which has its particular uses.

Peter M

Re: Canon EF 8-15mm f/4 L USM Fisheye

luca vascon-3

> Compared with a Nikkor 10.5mm my Sigma 15mm has a different kind of flare
> behavior -- ie. a general veiling haze compared to the more compact (and
> often more retouchable) flare artefacts of the Nikkor. The Nikkor is much
> sharper wide open but stopped down they have the same sort of sharpness I
> would say. The Nikkor shaved has 200 degrees of coverage on full frame -
> which has its particular uses.
>
> Peter M
>
> I agree any single word, but the Sigma 15 I have is really not so bad in
flare, after all.
I used any single degree of the 10.5, has its uses, really. Not a matter of
stitching-picture area, but of aid for color blending and control point
placing (even if the maths we use are not dealing really precisely with
it!!)