Cube faces to equirectangular in PTGui ?

JPS

Cube faces to equirectangular in PTGui ?

JPS
I've been trying to use PTGui to "re-compose" an equirectangulat view, instead of having to go thru Pano2VR... but haven't found how to !

In PTGui, one can convert equirectangular to QTVR or cube faces but NOT the opposite ! Why ? Is it impossible due to PTGui "construction" ?

If it was possible, we would then be able to do EVERYTHING in PTGui instead to use another program...

Cheers,
J-P.

Re: Cube faces to equirectangular in PTGui ?

Ian Wood-2
What problems are you having?

Bring the cubefaces in as 90 degree rectilinear images with all lens
settings zeroed and you should be fine. I think Erik has a template
somewhere for this.

Ian

Am 21.06.2010 16:09, schrieb Ian Wood:
> Bring the cubefaces in as 90 degree rectilinear images with all lens
> settings zeroed and you should be fine. I think Erik has a template
> somewhere for this.

Yes, at http://www.erik-krause.de/ttt/?#PTGui%20files
However, with the current PTGui version it doesn't work correctly
apparently because it tries to blend the cube faces. You need PanotTools
installed and PTStitcher to have it work.

Am 21.06.2010 18:27, schrieb Erik Krause:
> Yes, at http://www.erik-krause.de/ttt/?#PTGui%20files
> However, with the current PTGui version it doesn't work correctly
> apparently because it tries to blend the cube faces. You need PanotTools
> installed and PTStitcher to have it work.

Correction: nona would do as well...

JPS

Re: Cube faces to equirectangular in PTGui ?

JPS

Thanks Eric !
In fact, it's exactly what I thought: there is no way to re-build an equirectangular image (nor a *.MOV file) with the CUBE FACE images in PTGui ! One MUST use an external program... What a pity !

...but the question remains: would it be possible to implement this function in PTGui ? If NO, why ? ...and if YES, why hasn't it been done yet ?

Cheers,
J-P.

--- In [hidden email], Erik Krause <erik.krause@...> wrote:

> Am 21.06.2010 18:27, schrieb Erik Krause:
> > Yes, at http://www.erik-krause.de/ttt/?#PTGui%20files
> > However, with the current PTGui version it doesn't work correctly
> > apparently because it tries to blend the cube faces. You need PanotTools
> > installed and PTStitcher to have it work.
>
> Correction: nona would do as well...
>
> --
> Erik Krause
> http://www.erik-krause.de

Re: Cube faces to equirectangular in PTGui ?

Sacha Griffin
Stitching using the old version of panorama tools if so "IN PTGUI" and don't
use feather.

It's not hard to setup your images in ptgui

90 degrees fov, rectilinear,

If you have qt pro, you can save the source images of a mov so as to convert
to flash if you need it.

If you use the new version, there are zenith and nadir gaps.

Sacha Griffin

Southern Digital Solutions LLC

http://www.seeit360.net

http://www.southern-digital.com

GMAIL IM: [hidden email]

404-551-4275

JPS

Re: Cube faces to equirectangular in PTGui ?

JPS

Thanks everybody for tyour answers !

In fact, I do not NEED to do ALL the work in PTGui... I do all my spherical panos using PTGui, Photoshop for patching the NADIR and the usual post-process, then Pano2VR or back to PTGui to creat the *.MOV file ! It was just an idea that came to my mind... and obviusly something missing in PTGui ! It would be nice to be able to use ONE program to do -almost- everything !?!

Cheers,
J-P.

Spherical Panoramas (360x180°) at http://www.360cities.net/profile/jps

Am 22.06.2010 17:31, schrieb Jean-Pierre:
> In fact, I do not NEED to do ALL the work in PTGui... I do all my
> spherical panos using PTGui, Photoshop for patching the NADIR and the
> usual post-process, then Pano2VR or back to PTGui to creat the *.MOV
> file ! It was just an idea that came to my mind... and obviusly
> something missing in PTGui ! It would be nice to be able to use ONE
> program to do -almost- everything !?!

This is exactly what I don't want. I'm a handcrafter (a guitar maker
actually), and as such I know that *any* all-in-one tool will ever be
worse than a specialized tool. You can already see it in PTGui: There
are some peripheral functions like QTVR output that where requested by
the users, which works of course but is nothing compared to a tool like
Pano2QTVR (free) or Pano2VR (commercial).

Hey, we have multi tasking operating systems (even apple has one!). The
age of DOS where you had one program running (which would justify the
benefit of doing all in one program) are long, long gone. Get used to
it! ;-)

Re: Cube faces to equirectangular in PTGui ?

crane

> Hey, we have multi tasking operating systems (even apple has one!). The
> age of DOS where you had one program running (which would justify the
> benefit of doing all in one program) are long, long gone. Get used to it!

also you can get other pc's to do stuff.

http://www.straightrunning.com/XmingNotes/manual.php
http://sourceforge.net/projects/xming/
http://linux-sxs.org/networking/openssh.putty.html

Re: Cube faces to equirectangular in PTGui ?

PanoToolsNG.10.m8
Actually this 'is' a case of PTGui putting more into it's application.
Prior to PTGui  being able to do its own blending itself, I believe you
'could' in fact assemble cubefaces into an equi (without the blending).

Alternatively Eric Gerds tools may be more to your liking: (you do need
PTStitcher.exe from the PT suite; you may already have it on your system.)
http://www.pinlady.net/vr/#anchor3

Regards,
Darren

)
)This is exactly what I don't want. I'm a handcrafter (a guitar maker
)actually), and as such I know that *any* all-in-one tool will ever be
)worse than a specialized tool. You can already see it in PTGui: There
)are some peripheral functions like QTVR output that where requested by
)the users, which works of course but is nothing compared to a
)tool like
)Pano2QTVR (free) or Pano2VR (commercial).
)

Re: Cube faces to equirectangular in PTGui ?

Roger D Williams
On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 01:28:15 +0900, Erik Krause <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am 22.06.2010 17:31, schrieb Jean-Pierre:
>> In fact, I do not NEED to do ALL the work in PTGui... I do all my
>> spherical panos using PTGui, Photoshop for patching the NADIR and the
>> usual post-process, then Pano2VR or back to PTGui to creat the *.MOV
>> file ! It was just an idea that came to my mind... and obviusly
>> something missing in PTGui ! It would be nice to be able to use ONE
>> program to do -almost- everything !?!
>
> This is exactly what I don't want. I'm a handcrafter (a guitar maker
> actually), and as such I know that *any* all-in-one tool will ever be
> worse than a specialized tool. You can already see it in PTGui: There
> are some peripheral functions like QTVR output that where requested by
> the users, which works of course but is nothing compared to a tool like
> Pano2QTVR (free) or Pano2VR (commercial).
>
> Hey, we have multi tasking operating systems (even apple has one!). The
> age of DOS where you had one program running (which would justify the
> benefit of doing all in one program) are long, long gone. Get used to
> it! ;-)

I usually agree with everything you say, Erik, but I do feel there is one
lack in PTgui that directly impinges on its basic function as a warping
and stitching program. By this I mean integrating Alpha channels and the
ability to select specific areas of particular shots to be ignored. This
would save me a lot of post processing and working with programs like
PhotoShop. Life is too short for me to try to master PhotoShop. But PTgui
is absolutely central to all I am doing with panoramas, and I would like
it to provide the basic tools I need. (It is a wonderful program, and I
love it, just as I used to love my children when they were babies. But
I still wanted them to grow!)

Roger W.

Business: www.adex-japan.com
Pleasure: www.usefilm.com/member/roger

Am 23.06.2010 04:14, schrieb Roger D. Williams:
> I usually agree with everything you say, Erik, but I do feel there is one
> lack in PTgui that directly impinges on its basic function as a warping
> and stitching program. By this I mean integrating Alpha channels and the
> ability to select specific areas of particular shots to be ignored.

Hugin now has a masking tool which works pretty effective. I don't think
it will take long until PTGui has it, too ;-)

On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 04:41:15 +0900, Erik Krause <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am 23.06.2010 04:14, schrieb Roger D. Williams:
>> I usually agree with everything you say, Erik, but I do feel there is
>> one
>> lack in PTgui that directly impinges on its basic function as a warping
>> and stitching program. By this I mean integrating Alpha channels and the
>> ability to select specific areas of particular shots to be ignored.
>
> Hugin now has a masking tool which works pretty effective. I don't think
> it will take long until PTGui has it, too ;-)

Thanks, Erik. I had already heard that Hugin provides this, and had been
wondering whether I should attempt to get it working. But I am rather
set in my ways, and it took me long enough to become familiar with PTgui,
so I think I'll wait until PTgui has it.

Roger W.

Business: www.adex-japan.com
Pleasure: www.usefilm.com/member/roger

Re: Cube faces to equirectangular in PTGui ?

Sacha Griffin
It does have it.

90 fov rect

Yaw

-90

-90 pitch

90 pitch

0 feather.

Original ptstitcher..

I think my message from earlier in the week may have not gotten through.

Takes only a couple of seconds to restore the original equi 360.

I believe this process is in the panotools archives as well, which is where
I learned it when needing to recover a MOV file.

<mailto:erik.krause%40gmx.de> > wrote:

> Am 23.06.2010 04:14, schrieb Roger D. Williams:
>> I usually agree with everything you say, Erik, but I do feel there is
>> one
>> lack in PTgui that directly impinges on its basic function as a warping
>> and stitching program. By this I mean integrating Alpha channels and the
>> ability to select specific areas of particular shots to be ignored.
>
> Hugin now has a masking tool which works pretty effective. I don't think
> it will take long until PTGui has it, too ;-)

Thanks, Erik. I had already heard that Hugin provides this, and had been
wondering whether I should attempt to get it working. But I am rather
set in my ways, and it took me long enough to become familiar with PTgui,
so I think I'll wait until PTgui has it.

Roger W.

--
Business: www.adex-japan.com
Pleasure: www.usefilm.com/member/roger

Re: Cube faces to equirectangular in PTGui ?

Sacha Griffin
Whoops I missed the point here..

Quick alpha channel support.

Yes, I've been calling for that for ages..

However, if you keep a command line window open, and photoshop and ptgui,
you can paint in masks very quickly or run an action to load a preset alpha
channel.

Content aware blending does an "Ok" job.. without an alpha channel in not
using the 360 head in the blend.

However. we need this for flares, lens dust, peoples cars etc.

Sometimes its just easier to see which moving object to mask, inside an
overlapping viewer like ptguis.

Cheers!

Sacha Griffin

Southern Digital Solutions LLC

http://www.seeit360.net

http://www.southern-digital.com

GMAIL IM: [hidden email]

404-551-4275

On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 04:41:15 +0900, Erik Krause <[hidden email]
<mailto:erik.krause%40gmx.de> > wrote:

> Am 23.06.2010 04:14, schrieb Roger D. Williams:
>> I usually agree with everything you say, Erik, but I do feel there is
>> one
>> lack in PTgui that directly impinges on its basic function as a warping
>> and stitching program. By this I mean integrating Alpha channels and the
>> ability to select specific areas of particular shots to be ignored.
>
> Hugin now has a masking tool which works pretty effective. I don't think
> it will take long until PTGui has it, too ;-)

Thanks, Erik. I had already heard that Hugin provides this, and had been
wondering whether I should attempt to get it working. But I am rather
set in my ways, and it took me long enough to become familiar with PTgui,
so I think I'll wait until PTgui has it.

Roger W.

--
Business: www.adex-japan.com
Pleasure: www.usefilm.com/member/roger

Re: Cube faces to equirectangular in PTGui ?

Roger D Williams
On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 10:02:13 +0900, Sacha Griffin
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Whoops I missed the point here..

Easy to do. The original thread title no longer applies... <grin>

> Quick alpha channel support.
>
> Yes, I've been calling for that for ages..

> However, if you keep a command line window open, and photoshop and ptgui,
> you can paint in masks very quickly or run an action to load a preset
> alpha channel.

Sorry but I don't see what keeping a command line window open has to do
with photoshop and ptgui? Is this a reference to the use of Hugin as a
command line program?

> Content aware blending does an "Ok" job.. without an alpha channel in not
> using the 360 head in the blend.

I am waiting for Content Aware Blending to be incorporated within PTgui...
At the very worst it will be a quick diagnostic "TOOL" that shows when
you need to work harder on seams and masks. And hopefully it will do the
complete job more often than not.

> However. we need this for flares, lens dust, peoples cars etc.
>
> Sometimes its just easier to see which moving object to mask, inside an
> overlapping viewer like ptguis.

Exactly!

Roger W.

Business: www.adex-japan.com
Pleasure: www.usefilm.com/member/roger

Re: Cube faces to equirectangular in PTGui ?

hd_de_2000

--- In [hidden email], "Roger D. Williams" <roger@...> wrote:

> By this I mean integrating Alpha channels and the
> ability to select specific areas of particular shots to be ignored. This
> would save me a lot of post processing and working with programs like
> PhotoShop.

PTStitcherNG supports several options for that:
(a) Alpha channels in source images are honoured. Rectangular areas can be masked using the C (crop) or S (select) tag in the stitcher script.
(b) Along with the panoramic image you can request PTStitcherNG to output a colour indexed mask. Edit this mask in Photoshop and rerun PTStitcherNG, this time using the edited mask as input. Example here:
<http://www.fh-furtwangen.de/~dersch/seam/s0.html>
(c) As in PTGui, the seams can be shifted using the blend-priority parameter.
(d)The upcoming next version supports additional global mask images for the source images.

> Life is too short for me to try to master PhotoShop. But PTgui
> is absolutely central to all I am doing with panoramas,..

As you probably know, PTStitcherNG can be called from within PTGui.

Regards

Helmut Dersch

Am 24.06.2010 03:02, schrieb Sacha Griffin:

> However, if you keep a command line window open, and photoshop and ptgui,
> you can paint in masks very quickly or run an action to load a preset alpha
> channel.

That's true. There is a lengthy thread about that in the PTGui list:
http://tinyurl.com/2wsrzav ("live panorama editing")

best regards

Re: Cube faces to equirectangular in PTGui ?

Roger D Williams
On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 00:32:48 +0900, hd_de_2000 <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> --- In [hidden email], "Roger D. Williams" <roger@...>
> wrote:
>>
>> By this I mean integrating Alpha channels and the
>> ability to select specific areas of particular shots to be ignored. This
>> would save me a lot of post processing and working with programs like
>> PhotoShop.
>
> PTStitcherNG supports several options for that:
> (a) Alpha channels in source images are honoured. Rectangular areas can
> be masked using the C (crop) or S (select) tag in the stitcher script.
> (b) Along with the panoramic image you can request PTStitcherNG to
> output a colour indexed mask. Edit this mask in Photoshop and rerun
> PTStitcherNG, this time using the edited mask as input. Example here:
> <http://www.fh-furtwangen.de/~dersch/seam/s0.html>
> (c) As in PTGui, the seams can be shifted using the blend-priority
> parameter.
> (d)The upcoming next version supports additional global mask images for
> the source images.
>

>> Life is too short for me to try to master PhotoShop. But PTgui
>> is absolutely central to all I am doing with panoramas,..
>
> As you probably know, PTStitcherNG can be called from within PTGui.

Thank you, Dr. Dersch. That goes a very long way to addressing my needs.
I would still appreciate tighter integration within PTgui (not your
task, I know). I understand that is coming.

Roger W.

Business: www.adex-japan.com
Pleasure: www.usefilm.com/member/roger

Re: Cube faces to equirectangular in PTGui ?

Douglas-2
After much frustration in PTGui with this problem, although I did manage eventually, I now use the excellent OSX command line droplet tools in KRPano.
All pre-scripted, very fast, accurate and 16 bit.

Douglas Cape
Director of Photography Z360
http://www.z360.com

12