D800 + ~ 16 mm

Bostjan Burger
Excuse me for a possible double post in case that someone has asked similar question...
I am looking for my new standard "daily-use" combo Nikon D800 + Nikkor 16 mm but would like to get even better lenses with similar angle. Any tips?

Thanks!

Bostjan

Re: D800 + ~ 16 mm

Hans-74

--- In [hidden email], Bostjan Burger <si_lander@...> wrote:

> Excuse me for a possible double post in case that someone has asked similar question...
> I am looking for my new standard "daily-use" combo Nikon D800 + Nikkor 16 mm but would like to get even better lenses with similar angle. Any tips?

I am afraid there is none. Unless you can convert a Canon 8-15mm to Nikon.

Sigma 15mm should be the same as Nikon 16mm but I never seen a side by side test.

Hans

Re: D800 + ~ 16 mm

Wheaton, Simon
What rectilinear lens has the best image quality around this focal length, for similar use on a D800E?

I have a 20mm AIS manual focus lens, but would like lens with best possible image quality around this length or a little wider.

Thanks,
Simon
Canberra
AUSTRALIA

I am afraid there is none. Unless you can convert a Canon 8-15mm to Nikon.

Sigma 15mm should be the same as Nikon 16mm but I never seen a side by side test.

Hans

CIT is the ACT Large Training Provider of the Year.
Subscribe to CIT Industry Connection - CIT's free, bi monthly publication:
http://cit.edu.au/industry_business/industry_connection/

--- In [hidden email], "Hans" <hans@...> wrote:
> I am afraid there is none. Unless you can convert a Canon 8-15mm to Nikon.
>
> Sigma 15mm should be the same as Nikon 16mm but I never seen a side by side test.
>
> Hans

Re: D800 + ~ 16 mm

awirealvr

Maybe one of these, expensive sure, but also still kind off affordable.

Carl Zeiss ZF.2 21mm F/2.8 Distagon T* for Nikon

Carl Zeiss ZF.2 18mm F/3.5 Distagon T* for  Nikon

regards, Andre

--- In [hidden email], "Wheaton, Simon" <simon.wheaton@...> wrote:

> What rectilinear lens has the best image quality around this focal length, for similar use on a D800E?
>
> I have a 20mm AIS manual focus lens, but would like lens with best possible image quality around this length or a little wider.
>
> Thanks,
> Simon
> Canberra
> AUSTRALIA

Re: D800 + ~ 16 mm

Hans-74

--- In [hidden email], "Simon" <simon.wheaton@...> wrote:

> What rectilinear lens has the best image quality around this focal length, for similar use on a D800E?
>
> I have a 20mm AIS manual focus lens, but would like lens with best possible image quality around this length or a little wider.

The Nikkor 14-24mm is known to be one of the sharpest lenses in this area.
But it is heavy and requires a panohead with a long spherical arm.
As  far as I remember the setting is around 135mm on the D700

And you need of course  more than the 6+1 images  which you need for a fisheye.

Hans

> Thanks,
> Simon
> Canberra
> AUSTRALIA
>

> --- In [hidden email], "Hans" <hans@> wrote:
> > I am afraid there is none. Unless you can convert a Canon 8-15mm to Nikon.
> >
> > Sigma 15mm should be the same as Nikon 16mm but I never seen a side by side test.
> >
> > Hans

Re: D800 + ~ 16 mm

Zarl
I own the Nikkor 14-24 f2.8 and can only say that it's a fantastic lens.
The first zoom lens I really like.

I use it together with my D300 on a 360Precision Adjuste head (with
standard arm). At 16 mm it shares the same settings with my 8mm/f2.8
Ai-S Nikkor. Matt and Stu mention different settings for the camera
slider on 360Precision.com but that might be without the MB-D10 which I
have attached.

I expect the 14-24 to be really nice together with the D800 but so far
haven't had the opportunity to test that combination.

The two Zeiss lenses mentioned earlier should also be really cool with
the D800.

Carl

Posted by: "Hans" panoramicsdk on Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:33 am ((PDT))

> --- In [hidden email], "Simon" <simon.wheaton@...> wrote:
>> >
>> > What rectilinear lens has the best image quality around this focal length, for similar use on a D800E?
>> >
>> > I have a 20mm AIS manual focus lens, but would like lens with best possible image quality around this length or a little wider.
> The Nikkor 14-24mm is known to be one of the sharpest lenses in this area.
> But it is heavy and requires a panohead with a long spherical arm.
> As  far as I remember the setting is around 135mm on the D700
>
> And you need of course  more than the 6+1 images  which you need for a fisheye.

Re: D800 + ~ 16 mm

Wheaton, Simon
Any idea which would be better at 18mm, Nikkor 14-24mm or Zeiss 18mm?

How many photos for spherical at 18mm on D800E with ample overlap?

Thanks,
Simon
Canberra
AUSTRALIA

Re: D800 + ~ 16 mm

awirealvr
I think this calls for a real life test at your nearest shop ;-)

Andre

--- In [hidden email], "Wheaton, Simon" <simon.wheaton@...> wrote:

> Any idea which would be better at 18mm, Nikkor 14-24mm or Zeiss 18mm?
>
> How many photos for spherical at 18mm on D800E with ample overlap?
>
> Thanks,
> Simon
> Canberra
> AUSTRALIA

Oh, usually a prime lens should be better than a zoom (less glass elements). And Zeiss produces great lenses! Also, it's less heavy, and more compact. For panoramas you also don't need AF and with the D800 it should be easy to use a manual focus lens.

Here is a direct comparison:
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/lenses/distagon-18mm.shtml

> How many photos for spherical at 18mm on D800E with ample overlap?

try it in your favourite stitching program with dummy images. Set the project accordingly... you'll need seven (23%) to eight (33%) images for one full cylinder.
I guess that a spherical would work with two rows of 8 images plus one zenith and nadir shot.

Re: D800 + ~ 16 mm

awirealvr
bat a big advantage for the nikon could be: At 16 mm or less it will stitch at 6 images at 0 degrees +nadir and zenith.

Andre

--- In [hidden email], "cvoneinem" <einem@...> wrote:

> --- In [hidden email], "Wheaton, Simon" <simon.wheaton@> wrote:
> >
> > Any idea which would be better at 18mm, Nikkor 14-24mm or Zeiss 18mm?
>
> Oh, usually a prime lens should be better than a zoom (less glass elements). And Zeiss produces great lenses! Also, it's less heavy, and more compact. For panoramas you also don't need AF and with the D800 it should be easy to use a manual focus lens.
>
> Here is a direct comparison:
> http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/lenses/distagon-18mm.shtml
>
> > How many photos for spherical at 18mm on D800E with ample overlap?
>
> try it in your favourite stitching program with dummy images. Set the project accordingly... you'll need seven (23%) to eight (33%) images for one full cylinder.
> I guess that a spherical would work with two rows of 8 images plus one zenith and nadir shot.

Re: D800 + ~ 16 mm

Wheaton, Simon
Hmmmm, maybe the Zeiss 21mm will give the best quality images in a wide, and still give panos without too many shots around.

Sorry, don't have computer with stitching software at the moment, could someone please tell me how many photos for spherical + overlap with 21mm, and what the max stitched pano dimensions from an D800E would be?

Thanks,
Simon
Canberra
AUSTRALIA
> Any idea which would be better at 18mm, Nikkor 14-24mm or Zeiss 18mm?

Oh, usually a prime lens should be better than a zoom (less glass elements). And Zeiss produces great lenses! Also, it's less heavy, and more compact. For panoramas you also don't need AF and with the D800 it should be easy to use a manual focus lens.

Here is a direct comparison:
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/lenses/distagon-18mm.shtml

> How many photos for spherical at 18mm on D800E with ample overlap?

try it in your favourite stitching program with dummy images. Set the project accordingly... you'll need seven (23%) to eight (33%) images for one full cylinder.
I guess that a spherical would work with two rows of 8 images plus one zenith and nadir shot.

CIT is the ACT Large Training Provider of the Year.
Subscribe to CIT Industry Connection - CIT's free, bi monthly publication:
http://cit.edu.au/industry_business/industry_connection/

Re: D800 + ~ 16 mm

Sam Rohn-2
there is also a new zeiss 15mm f2.8 rectilinear for nikon & canon mount coming soon -

http://nikonrumors.com/2012/03/16/zeiss-distagon-t-15mm-f2-8-zf-2-lens-nikon-mount-announced.aspx/

http://www.zeissimages.com/showreplies.php?qid=873

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=FuBybxN8XCc#!

sam

Sam Rohn :: New York City
Panoramic Photography :: http://www.samrohn.com
Location Scout :: http://www.nylocations.com

--- In [hidden email], Bostjan Burger <si_lander@...> wrote:

> Excuse me for a possible double post in case that someone has asked similar question...
> I am looking for my new standard "daily-use" combo Nikon D800 + Nikkor 16 mm but would like to get even better lenses with similar angle. Any tips?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Bostjan

Re: D800 + ~ 16 mm

Zarl

--- In [hidden email], awirealvr@... wrote:

> bat a big advantage for the nikon could be: At 16 mm or less it
> will stitch at 6 images at 0 degrees +nadir and zenith.
>
> Andre

Did someone already have the chance to test the new Zeiss Distagon f2.8 15 mm rectilinear lens?
<http://lenses.zeiss.com/photo/en_DE/products/slr/distagont2815.html>
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuBybxN8XCc>

dpreview only shows the older version with Leica M mount.

Re: D800 + ~ 16 mm

awirealvr
Read this on rectilinear wide angle lenses and stitching

http://michel.thoby.free.fr/Web_Gallery_&_Tests/Samyang%2014mm/Pano_with_8_shots_only.html

Andre

--- In [hidden email], "cvoneinem" <einem@...> wrote:

> --- In [hidden email], awirealvr@ wrote:
> >
> > bat a big advantage for the nikon could be: At 16 mm or less it
> > will stitch at 6 images at 0 degrees +nadir and zenith.
> >
> > Andre
>
> Did someone already have the chance to test the new Zeiss Distagon f2.8 15 mm rectilinear lens?
> <http://lenses.zeiss.com/photo/en_DE/products/slr/distagont2815.html>
> <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuBybxN8XCc>
>
> dpreview only shows the older version with Leica M mount.

Re: D800 + ~ 16 mm

awirealvr
It seems for 6+2 shots you need no larger than 14mm rectilinear lens or no larger than 17 mm fisheye lens.

An 8mm (sigma?) is also an option for few shots (3 or 4), and might get you a good resolution panorama with the D800.

Andre

--- In [hidden email], awirealvr@... wrote:

> Read this on rectilinear wide angle lenses and stitching
>
> http://michel.thoby.free.fr/Web_Gallery_&_Tests/Samyang%2014mm/Pano_with_8_shots_only.html
>
> Andre
>
> --- In [hidden email], "cvoneinem" <einem@> wrote:
> >

> > --- In [hidden email], awirealvr@ wrote:
> > >
> > > bat a big advantage for the nikon could be: At 16 mm or less it
> > > will stitch at 6 images at 0 degrees +nadir and zenith.
> > >
> > > Andre
> >
> > Did someone already have the chance to test the new Zeiss Distagon f2.8 15 mm rectilinear lens?
> > <http://lenses.zeiss.com/photo/en_DE/products/slr/distagont2815.html>
> > <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuBybxN8XCc>
> >
> > dpreview only shows the older version with Leica M mount.

Re: D800 + ~ 16 mm

jimbo
 I've had one of the older Nikon 15mm f 3.5 Rectilinear for ever .. Is that acceptable as compared to some of the newer lenses? I don't recall ever seeing much on the group about it.

jimbo

  there is also a new zeiss 15mm f2.8 rectilinear for nikon & canon mount coming soon -

  http://nikonrumors.com/2012/03/16/zeiss-distagon-t-15mm-f2-8-zf-2-lens-nikon-mount-announced.aspx/

  http://www.zeissimages.com/showreplies.php?qid=873

  http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=FuBybxN8XCc#!

  sam

  Sam Rohn :: New York City
  Panoramic Photography :: http://www.samrohn.com
  Location Scout :: http://www.nylocations.com

  --- In [hidden email], Bostjan Burger <si_lander@...> wrote:

  > Excuse me for a possible double post in case that someone has asked similar question...
  > I am looking for my new standard "daily-use" combo Nikon D800 + Nikkor 16 mm but would like to get even better lenses with similar angle. Any tips?
  >
  > Thanks!
  >
  > Bostjan

Re: D800 + ~ 16 mm

Am 19.04.2012 12:05, schrieb [hidden email]:
> An 8mm (sigma?) is also an option for few shots (3 or 4), and might
> get you a good resolution panorama with the D800.

Nominal, yes. In practice I doubt a Sigma 8mm is up to the camera
resolution, especially not in the outer regions.

Re: D800 + ~ 16 mm

luca vascon-3
I played with D800 and a shaved 10.5 nikkor
http://www.officinepanottiche.com/blog/2012/first-panoramas-ever-with-the-nikon-d800/

pictures here
http://www.officinepanottiche.com/test/372/tour.html

D800 pixel density (wonder why Dpreview dropped the good habit to give the
value!) is 207 pxel/mm The 10.5 was projected with hires APSC in mind, and
gives stunning results on a D7000, 16megapixel APSC (DX), that has 211
pixels/mm.
Line/mm performance in optic is going radial geometrical law (the more
distance from the center, the more the lines/mm that are resolved,
decrease) and is depending on aperture too.
I'm SURE that 10.5 used at f6.3-f8, as usual for panoramas will be able to
handle even the new D3200 at 24megapixel APSC.
I'm even sure enough the 16mm 2.8 Nikkor is good enough for the D800, and
ebven more sure that the incredibly good 15mm 2.8 Sigma will.
I've doubts about Tokina 10-17 and Sigma 10mm, both just a bit under the
line.
Any use of the 8mm 3.5 Sigma would waste a lot of panos resolution in black
pixels

Il giorno 20 aprile 2012 19:20, Erik Krause <[hidden email]> ha scritto:

> Am 19.04.2012 12:05, schrieb [hidden email]:
> > An 8mm (sigma?) is also an option for few shots (3 or 4), and might
> > get you a good resolution panorama with the D800.
>
> Nominal, yes. In practice I doubt a Sigma 8mm is up to the camera
> resolution, especially not in the outer regions.
>
> --
> Erik Krause
> http://www.erik-krause.de

Luca Vascon.

www.nuovostudio.it
www.officinepanottiche.com

Re: D800 + Sigma8

Willy Kaemena
It happen  that just today I got hold of a NIKON D800E ! But the only fisheye I had  was the  my Sigma 8-3.5  I know  it is a waste on a Full Frame. I made 4 shots around  and nadir/ zenith were not retouched.

Here the results:

http://www.360cities.net/image/nikon-d800e-5xbracket-iso200-sigma8-3-5#311.80,0.10,75.0

http://www.360cities.net/profile/willy-kaemena/image/nikon-d800e-iso4000-1-13-f8-sigma8-3-5#-102.25,-1.30,70.0

http://www.360cities.net/profile/willy-kaemena/image/nikon-d800e-5x-bracket-iso200#325.50,0.80,77.0

The used parameter are included in the  URL

PTgui gives me a max size  of 9300x4650

The  high ISO RAWs are available for Download  until  5th of May  at:   http://wtrns.fr/acMeny_PvaWxx0

Willy