Equirectangular from sphere photos

PanoTools NG mailing list
Hi all,

Is there a simple process to create an equirectangular image from photos
of a sphere?

Thanks in advance,

Philo

Re: Equirectangular from sphere photos

PanoTools NG mailing list
Lots of tools out there will do this. Two I'm familiar with: PTGui and Pano2VR. Checkout their documentation for the details.

Keith
________________________________

Twitter: @keithrobertson
www.fachwen.org
www.flickr.com/photos/fachwen/sets

Re: Equirectangular from sphere photos

I would guess it might be possible. What makes me think so is that I purchased a printed image created FROM an equirectangular panorama image of mine that folded into a sphere. When I look at the sphere from the right four directions (top, bottom, and two opposite sides) they look EXACTLY like the original four circular fisheye images I took to create the original panorama!

Worth trying, anyway!

Sent from my iPad

> On Jun 8, 2016, at 4:26 PM, Philo [hidden email] [PanoToolsNG] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> Is there a simple process to create an equirectangular image from photos
> of a sphere?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Philo
>

> ------------------------------------
> Posted by: Philo <[hidden email]>

> Yahoo Groups Links

RE: Equirectangular from sphere photos

Yeah, just crop the image and use the fisheye lens setting.

Same method as shooting pinballs and Christmas ornaments.

You’ll get some output, but it probably won’t look great unless you have a very long lens and high resolution camera.

Best Regards,

Sacha Griffin

http://www.seeit360.com <http://www.seeit360.com/>

http://twitter.com/SeeIt360

http://www.facebook.com/SeeIt360

IM: [hidden email]

Office: 404-551-4275

Re: Equirectangular from sphere photos

Pano2VR by Garden Gnome Software ( http://ggnome.com/pano2vr ) allows you to do most format conversions.

Scott Highton
Author, Virtual Reality Photography
Phone: (650) 592-5277
E-mail: [hidden email]
Web: http://www.vrphotography.com

Re: Equirectangular from sphere photos

Hi Philo

Are you referring to a spherical mirror, or do you want to photograph the surface of a sphere?

Case 1 is identical to the fisheye-equisolid type (2*f*sin(theta/2)-mapping) plus left-right mirror. This mapping was included in the original panotools plugins.

Case 2 is a sin(theta)-mapping, which is neither identical to the usual fisheye-equidistance mapping (f*theta) nor to the above mentioned equisolid (sin(theta/2)) mapping. You could use the fisheye equisolid type assuming 360degree field of view, and convert the image to a 360degree equidistance image. Then use this as 180 degree source image (again equidistance) for conversion to equirectangular format.

As sachagriffin has mentioned, you need to photograph with long focal length, and you will have  depth of field problems.

Regards

Helmut Dersch