Quantcast

Gigapan software...

Rick Drew
Has anyone had decent luck with Gigapan software? I've been using Antpano
Giga, but the latest update broke it - tried on three different computers
and crash on all of them. Hard crash whenever blending hits stage 2.

Purchased the upgrade for the newest PTGui, but the new Grid View does not
work on interior panoramics - worked fine on a skyline shot, but failed
miserably on an interior shot.  Randomly rotated and swapped images.

Gigapan Stitcher (came with the Epic Pro) is OK, never crashes, but it does
a poor job blending.

Microsoft ICE does the best job so far, but misplaces some images and puts
them in the wrong place - and rotates them 90 degrees.

All in all, none work well on interiors when shooting smaller rooms.  I
shoot a lot of interior panos and can't seem to find any software that does
a good job.

Any ideas or tips? I've asked in the various support areas, but still don't
have an answer.  Kolor (AP Giga) just stalls and asks useless questions
(what make is your camera?) I think the guys at PTGui are over-taxed with
support questions.  Just curious is anyone else is having these problems.

Rick Drew

Re: Gigapan software...

Robert Harshman
If you want real help, you're going to have to supply much more specific information. Project files, etc.

Just looked at what you posted on the PtGUi forum and it's also simply not enough.

Stitches gone wrong for so many reasons require full documentation to solve.

Robert

--- In [hidden email], "Rick Drew" <rick@...> wrote:

> Has anyone had decent luck with Gigapan software? I've been using Antpano
> Giga, but the latest update broke it - tried on three different computers
> and crash on all of them. Hard crash whenever blending hits stage 2.
>

> Purchased the upgrade for the newest PTGui, but the new Grid View does not
> work on interior panoramics - worked fine on a skyline shot, but failed
> miserably on an interior shot.  Randomly rotated and swapped images.
>

> Gigapan Stitcher (came with the Epic Pro) is OK, never crashes, but it does
> a poor job blending.
>

> Microsoft ICE does the best job so far, but misplaces some images and puts
> them in the wrong place - and rotates them 90 degrees.
>

> All in all, none work well on interiors when shooting smaller rooms.  I
> shoot a lot of interior panos and can't seem to find any software that does
> a good job.
>

> Any ideas or tips? I've asked in the various support areas, but still don't
> have an answer.  Kolor (AP Giga) just stalls and asks useless questions
> (what make is your camera?) I think the guys at PTGui are over-taxed with
> support questions.  Just curious is anyone else is having these problems.
>

> Rick Drew

Re: Gigapan software...

jrgen_schrader
What kind of interior shoot is this? How many pictures and how where they taken?
I always use PTGUI and I never have problems nor can I complain about the support from Joost or the support forum.
I also wouldn't say that asking for your camera make is a silly question as on different models orientation data which influences alignment in stitcher software is treated in different ways.

--- In [hidden email], "Rick Drew" <rick@...> wrote:

> Has anyone had decent luck with Gigapan software? I've been using Antpano
> Giga, but the latest update broke it - tried on three different computers
> and crash on all of them. Hard crash whenever blending hits stage 2.
>

> Purchased the upgrade for the newest PTGui, but the new Grid View does not
> work on interior panoramics - worked fine on a skyline shot, but failed
> miserably on an interior shot.  Randomly rotated and swapped images.
>

> Gigapan Stitcher (came with the Epic Pro) is OK, never crashes, but it does
> a poor job blending.
>

> Microsoft ICE does the best job so far, but misplaces some images and puts
> them in the wrong place - and rotates them 90 degrees.
>

> All in all, none work well on interiors when shooting smaller rooms.  I
> shoot a lot of interior panos and can't seem to find any software that does
> a good job.
>

> Any ideas or tips? I've asked in the various support areas, but still don't
> have an answer.  Kolor (AP Giga) just stalls and asks useless questions
> (what make is your camera?) I think the guys at PTGui are over-taxed with
> support questions.  Just curious is anyone else is having these problems.
>

> Rick Drew

Re: Gigapan software...

Robert Harshman
Have to completely agree with Jrgen, PTGUI support both from the forum and from the developer is first rate as it works today.

So far your issue sounds like a user error.

cheers,

Robert

--- In [hidden email], "jrgen_schrader" <panorama@...> wrote:

> What kind of interior shoot is this? How many pictures and how where they taken?
> I always use PTGUI and I never have problems nor can I complain about the support from Joost or the support forum.
> I also wouldn't say that asking for your camera make is a silly question as on different models orientation data which influences alignment in stitcher software is treated in different ways.
>

> --- In [hidden email], "Rick Drew" <rick@> wrote:
> >
> > Has anyone had decent luck with Gigapan software? I've been using Antpano
> > Giga, but the latest update broke it - tried on three different computers
> > and crash on all of them. Hard crash whenever blending hits stage 2.
> >

> > Purchased the upgrade for the newest PTGui, but the new Grid View does not
> > work on interior panoramics - worked fine on a skyline shot, but failed
> > miserably on an interior shot.  Randomly rotated and swapped images.
> >

> > Gigapan Stitcher (came with the Epic Pro) is OK, never crashes, but it does
> > a poor job blending.
> >

> > Microsoft ICE does the best job so far, but misplaces some images and puts
> > them in the wrong place - and rotates them 90 degrees.
> >

> > All in all, none work well on interiors when shooting smaller rooms.  I
> > shoot a lot of interior panos and can't seem to find any software that does
> > a good job.
> >

> > Any ideas or tips? I've asked in the various support areas, but still don't
> > have an answer.  Kolor (AP Giga) just stalls and asks useless questions
> > (what make is your camera?) I think the guys at PTGui are over-taxed with
> > support questions.  Just curious is anyone else is having these problems.
> >

> > Rick Drew

Re: Gigapan software...

AYRTON - avi
On my part I agree with Jürgen too

JOOST is #1
he gives a awesome support, always. DOT

AYRTON

On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 1:47 AM, robert <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Have to completely agree with Jrgen, PTGUI support both from the forum and
> from the developer is first rate as it works today.
>
> So far your issue sounds like a user error.
>
> cheers,
>
> Robert
>

> --- In [hidden email], "jrgen_schrader" <panorama@...> wrote:
> >
> > What kind of interior shoot is this? How many pictures and how where they
> taken?
> > I always use PTGUI and I never have problems nor can I complain about the
> support from Joost or the support forum.
> > I also wouldn't say that asking for your camera make is a silly question
> as on different models orientation data which influences alignment in
> stitcher software is treated in different ways.
> >

> > --- In [hidden email], "Rick Drew" <rick@> wrote:
> > >
> > > Has anyone had decent luck with Gigapan software? I've been using
> Antpano
> > > Giga, but the latest update broke it - tried on three different
> computers
> > > and crash on all of them. Hard crash whenever blending hits stage 2.
> > >

> > > Purchased the upgrade for the newest PTGui, but the new Grid View does
> not
> > > work on interior panoramics - worked fine on a skyline shot, but failed
> > > miserably on an interior shot.  Randomly rotated and swapped images.
> > >

> > > Gigapan Stitcher (came with the Epic Pro) is OK, never crashes, but it
> does
> > > a poor job blending.
> > >

> > > Microsoft ICE does the best job so far, but misplaces some images and
> puts
> > > them in the wrong place - and rotates them 90 degrees.
> > >

> > > All in all, none work well on interiors when shooting smaller rooms.  I
> > > shoot a lot of interior panos and can't seem to find any software that
> does
> > > a good job.
> > >

> > > Any ideas or tips? I've asked in the various support areas, but still
> don't
> > > have an answer.  Kolor (AP Giga) just stalls and asks useless questions
> > > (what make is your camera?) I think the guys at PTGui are over-taxed
> with
> > > support questions.  Just curious is anyone else is having these
> problems.
> > >

> > > Rick Drew

+ 55 21 9982 6313 - RIO
+ 55 11 3717 5131 - SP
http://ayrton360.com
twitter.com/ayrton360

Re: Gigapan software...

Rick Drew
Well let’s see – user error – been doing this for 25 years, over 15 years on computers. Had PTGui since 2004.  It’s been working fine for ages.  Still works fine – but PTGui can’t do gigapan stitches with lots of vertical and horizontal lines or shots with little detail – so they came up with the grid system. No orphaned images, but unacceptable results.  AutoPano Giga simply crashes. Yep, lots of user error there. Crap program.  AP Giga 2.5 has more bugs than a termite infested house. I’ve produced thousands of panoramas in older versions of both programs.

As for PTGui, I stated they were probably busy. It’s only been around 10 hours, so I asked here.  I did not expect “It’s user error” – totally useless.  If all you have to do is spout off, then shut up.  You are not helping. I am so sick and tired of people sticking up for lousy software and poor support.  Kolor is only one example. Asking for camera make is idiotic – I am stitching edited images, not camera raw files.  Rotation is not an issue.  I provided crash information and more – instead of helping, they took me to task for a typo and stalled. I understand the guys at PTGui need more time to answer – but I actually expected intelligent answers here, not “you screwed up.”

Try justifying this PTGui mess:

Grid before optimizing:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rickthephotoguy/6206445055/sizes/m/in/photostream/

After:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rickthephotoguy/6206445021/sizes/m/in/photostream/ - > basically ignored the grid.

I followed the instructions for the new PTGui grid system to the letter. Tried a few stitches. Exact same settings on my pano head and software. Outdoor shots – stitched fine. Indoor shots - garbage.

New computer, clean Windows install – nothing installed but my stitching software and PhotoShop. The results from MS ICE were better than either PTGui or AP Giga. AP Giga crashed before anything can save or be edited – can’t get any project files.  No point in creating a PTGui file when the results are so bad.

Re: Gigapan software...

edufrick
Hi!

Try to uninstall Antivirus software - Autopano Giga crashes with Avast Antivirus.

[] Eduardo

--- In [hidden email], "Rick Drew" <rick@...> wrote:

> Has anyone had decent luck with Gigapan software? I've been using Antpano
> Giga, but the latest update broke it - tried on three different computers
> and crash on all of them. Hard crash whenever blending hits stage 2.
>

> Purchased the upgrade for the newest PTGui, but the new Grid View does not
> work on interior panoramics - worked fine on a skyline shot, but failed
> miserably on an interior shot.  Randomly rotated and swapped images.
>

> Gigapan Stitcher (came with the Epic Pro) is OK, never crashes, but it does
> a poor job blending.
>

> Microsoft ICE does the best job so far, but misplaces some images and puts
> them in the wrong place - and rotates them 90 degrees.
>

> All in all, none work well on interiors when shooting smaller rooms.  I
> shoot a lot of interior panos and can't seem to find any software that does
> a good job.
>

> Any ideas or tips? I've asked in the various support areas, but still don't
> have an answer.  Kolor (AP Giga) just stalls and asks useless questions
> (what make is your camera?) I think the guys at PTGui are over-taxed with
> support questions.  Just curious is anyone else is having these problems.
>

> Rick Drew

Re: Gigapan software...

Christian Bloch-2
Hey Rick,

I can understand your frustration (just wouldn't word it the same). Gigapanos are a pain because everything you try takes such a long time - even when it turns out the wrong path.

The best luck I had in the past was by using AP Giga for alignment only. Making good use of localized optimizations and cluster-based repairs. But for rendering and blending, I never trusted AP. Instead I always saved the file in panotools format, and loaded that into PTGui. There, I wouldn't optimize again, but only render the stitch.

Hope this helps.

On Oct 2, 2011, at 10:39 PM, Rick Drew wrote:
> I’ve produced thousands of panoramas in older versions of both programs.

That could be another way out - downgrade to the version that you know is working correctly.

Blochi

Re: Gigapan software...

Robert Harshman
Rick,

Are you just having a bad day or is this your normal demeanor?

If you at all read my first post it helped you understand what it would take to have others help you solve your issue. Without a project file, etc. for Ptgui provided it's a guessing game for what the issue might be. I guessed user error on my second post. Why should that be a problem and generate such a over the top response?

Anyway, once you presented the first image from your over worked response I know what the problem is.

Since you've gone silent about it on both PtGUI forums and here I have to assume you've fixed it.

Welcome to the world of symmetric and stitching :)

And yes, with a grid applied PtGui should not do this, but it's hardly a reason to label a product you've used since 2004 "garbage" or berate forum members trying to help you.

I think you might want to re-consider your comments.

Robert

--- In [hidden email], "Rick Drew" <rick@...> wrote:

> Well let’s see â€" user error â€" been doing this for 25 years, over 15 years on computers. Had PTGui since 2004.  It’s been working fine for ages.  Still works fine â€" but PTGui can’t do gigapan stitches with lots of vertical and horizontal lines or shots with little detail â€" so they came up with the grid system. No orphaned images, but unacceptable results.  AutoPano Giga simply crashes. Yep, lots of user error there. Crap program.  AP Giga 2.5 has more bugs than a termite infested house. I’ve produced thousands of panoramas in older versions of both programs.
>

> As for PTGui, I stated they were probably busy. It’s only been around 10 hours, so I asked here.  I did not expect “It’s user error” â€" totally useless.  If all you have to do is spout off, then shut up.  You are not helping. I am so sick and tired of people sticking up for lousy software and poor support.  Kolor is only one example. Asking for camera make is idiotic â€" I am stitching edited images, not camera raw files.  Rotation is not an issue.  I provided crash information and more â€" instead of helping, they took me to task for a typo and stalled. I understand the guys at PTGui need more time to answer â€" but I actually expected intelligent answers here, not “you screwed up.”
>

> Try justifying this PTGui mess:
>

> Grid before optimizing:
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/rickthephotoguy/6206445055/sizes/m/in/photostream/
>

> After:
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/rickthephotoguy/6206445021/sizes/m/in/photostream/ - > basically ignored the grid.
>

> I followed the instructions for the new PTGui grid system to the letter. Tried a few stitches. Exact same settings on my pano head and software. Outdoor shots â€" stitched fine. Indoor shots - garbage.
>

> New computer, clean Windows install â€" nothing installed but my stitching software and PhotoShop. The results from MS ICE were better than either PTGui or AP Giga. AP Giga crashed before anything can save or be edited â€" can’t get any project files.  No point in creating a PTGui file when the results are so bad.

Re: Gigapan software...

Rick Drew
I was not labeling PTGui as garbage – it was Kolor’s product I was labeling as garbage. I was trying to be clear that I had not given the folks at PTGui a lot of time to reply, but I was in a hurry.  Imagine 14 hours of continuous crashes and lousy results – I was at my whit’s end.  I finally just gave up.  Nothing worked/works. Autopano Giga crashed every time – tried it on five different PC’s.  PTGui – I was able to get it to work on several panos, but with too many errors  - subtle, but they are there. The results were not much better than the output right from the Gigapan stitcher.  I spent hours and hours getting the NPP point set up and have it pretty well perfect.

So yes, it was a bad day.  I have three clients with a deadline of Thursday.  No software functioning correctly. Autopano Giga was great – near perfect results , but the latest updates are way too unstable.  I’m lucky if 1 out of 20 tries works without a crash – and again, that’s testing on multiple PC’s.  PTGui – I’ll have to heavily edit the results - and that’s no fun with an 8gb image. So right now it’s the software that came with the Epic Pro.

--- In [hidden email] <mailto:PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com> , "Rick Drew" <rick@...> wrote:

> Well let’s see â€" user error â€" been doing this for 25 years, over 15 years on computers. Had PTGui since 2004. It’s been working fine for ages. Still works fine â€" but PTGui can’t do gigapan stitches with lots of vertical and horizontal lines or shots with little detail â€" so they came up with the grid system. No orphaned images, but unacceptable results. AutoPano Giga simply crashes. Yep, lots of user error there. Crap program. AP Giga 2.5 has more bugs than a termite infested house. I’ve produced thousands of panoramas in older versions of both programs.
>

> As for PTGui, I stated they were probably busy. It’s only been around 10 hours, so I asked here. I did not expect “It’s user error” â€" totally useless. If all you have to do is spout off, then shut up. You are not helping. I am so sick and tired of people sticking up for lousy software and poor support. Kolor is only one example. Asking for camera make is idiotic â€" I am stitching edited images, not camera raw files. Rotation is not an issue. I provided crash information and more â€" instead of helping, they took me to task for a typo and stalled. I understand the guys at PTGui need more time to answer â€" but I actually expected intelligent answers here, not “you screwed up.”
>

> Try justifying this PTGui mess:
>

> Grid before optimizing:
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/rickthephotoguy/6206445055/sizes/m/in/photostream/
>

> After:
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/rickthephotoguy/6206445021/sizes/m/in/photostream/ - > basically ignored the grid.
>

> I followed the instructions for the new PTGui grid system to the letter. Tried a few stitches. Exact same settings on my pano head and software. Outdoor shots â€" stitched fine. Indoor shots - garbage.
>

> New computer, clean Windows install â€" nothing installed but my stitching software and PhotoShop. The results from MS ICE were better than either PTGui or AP Giga. AP Giga crashed before anything can save or be edited â€" can’t get any project files. No point in creating a PTGui file when the results are so bad.

Re: Gigapan software...

DemonDuck
Maybe it's the hardware and not the software --- or the OS -- or a million other things.  PTGui almost never crashes if the hardware is in good working order.

Rick Drew wrote:
> I was not labeling PTGui as garbage – it was Kolor’s product I was labeling as garbage.

Re: Gigapan software...

Fanotec
Rick Drew wrote
So yes, it was a bad day.  I have three clients with a deadline of Thursday.  No software functioning correctly. Autopano Giga was great – near perfect results , but the latest updates are way too unstable.  I’m lucky if 1 out of 20 tries works without a crash – and again, that’s testing on multiple PC’s.  PTGui – I’ll have to heavily edit the results - and that’s no fun with an 8gb image. So right now it’s the software that came with the Epic Pro.
Why don't you reinstall the older version of Autopano? They should be available upon request.

nick

Re: Gigapan software...

edufrick
Have you tried to uninstall antivirus software? Autopano Giga conflicts
with Avast antivirus 6.

[] Eduardo

Em 04/10/2011 13:53, Fanotec escreveu:

> Rick Drew wrote:
> >
> > So yes, it was a bad day. I have three clients with a deadline of
> > Thursday. No software functioning correctly. Autopano Giga was great –
> > near perfect results , but the latest updates are way too unstable. I’m
> > lucky if 1 out of 20 tries works without a crash – and again, that’s
> > testing on multiple PC’s. PTGui – I’ll have to heavily edit the
> results -
> > and that’s no fun with an 8gb image. So right now it’s the software that
> > came with the Epic Pro.
> >

> Why don't you reinstall the older version of Autopano? They should be
> available upon request.
>
> nick

Re: Gigapan software...

Fanotec
3 things you can try.
1. Use other panos or photos for calibrating the lens. reuse the lens parameter and disable lens optimization.
2. disable optimization for photos without recognizable features. Just uncheck them in optimization tab.
3. (last attempt) link roll and pitch values for each row of shots.

The principle is to set some limits for optimizer to prevent it from going wild.

Nick

Rick Drew wrote
Try justifying this PTGui mess:

 Grid before optimizing:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rickthephotoguy/6206445055/sizes/m/in/photostream/

 After:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rickthephotoguy/6206445021/sizes/m/in/photostream/ - > basically ignored the grid.

I followed the instructions for the new PTGui grid system to the letter. Tried a few stitches. Exact same settings on my pano head and software. Outdoor shots – stitched fine. Indoor shots - garbage.

Re: Gigapan software...

Matt Uyttendaele-2

RE: Microsoft ICE ... misplaces some images and puts them in the wrong
place – and rotates them 90 degrees.

I don't think that you used the "File: New Structured Panorama ..."
workflow in ICE?  "Structured Panorama" is designed to work with
automated heads like the Gigapan.  If you use this, you shouldn't get
misplaced images.