How do you hide the shadows in a 360 pano ?

How do you hide the shadows in a 360 pano ?

Johann Victor
I took 6 images all around at a 5degree angle upwards with 8mm F3.5 Sigma and Canon 450D ,masked out tripod at ex: image 5 of the area of were tripod is visible but im still getting the tripod in stitched pano Why doesn't the tripod hide even though i have masked tripod at image 5  ?

Re: How do you hide the shadows in a 360 pano ?

Am 01.12.2012 10:10, schrieb Johann:
> I took 6 images all around at a 5degree angle upwards with 8mm F3.5
> Sigma and Canon 450D ,masked out tripod at ex: image 5 of the area of
> were tripod is visible but im still getting the tripod in stitched
> pano Why doesn't the tripod hide even though i have masked tripod at
> image 5  ?

What Software do you use? Assuming you use PTGui: Mask the tripod legs
in all images where they appear. This should hide the tripod. For the
shadows see Tom Sharpless' new tutorial:
http://wiki.panotools.org/Remove_tripod_shadows

Re: How do you hide the shadows in a 360 pano ?

Johann Victor
Hi Erik.

I use Ptgui Pro. I did mask all of the tripod shadows im images but when
stitched images it leaves a black background.

On 1 December 2012 15:32, Erik Krause <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am 01.12.2012 10:10, schrieb Johann:
> > I took 6 images all around at a 5degree angle upwards with 8mm F3.5
> > Sigma and Canon 450D ,masked out tripod at ex: image 5 of the area of
> > were tripod is visible but im still getting the tripod in stitched
> > pano Why doesn't the tripod hide even though i have masked tripod at
> > image 5  ?
>
> What Software do you use? Assuming you use PTGui: Mask the tripod legs
> in all images where they appear. This should hide the tripod. For the
> shadows see Tom Sharpless' new tutorial:
> http://wiki.panotools.org/Remove_tripod_shadows
>
> --
> Erik Krause
> http://www.erik-krause.de

Re: How do you hide the shadows in a 360 pano ?

pedro_silva58
hi johann!

to avoid having shadows in the final panorama, you need to have all areas with shadows, appear in other images, without the shadows.  so, first, mind your own shadow!  second, you may need to move the tripod, and shoot the ground from a different position, and then use viewpoint correction in ptgui pro.  it helps to plan ahead, eg, make sure the tripod shadow doesn't go from ground to building, or some other complex 3d thing.

as a last resort, play in your favorite image editor, trying to match luminosity, colors, etc, to make shadows less obvious.  you would need considerable editing skills for a good result, me thinks.

hope this helps!
cheers,
pedro

Am 03.12.2012 06:56, schrieb Johann Victor:
> I did mask all of the tripod shadows im images but when stitched images
> it leaves a black background.

As Pedro wrote: You need something to fill the holes. If you didn't
shoot the area without a shadow you will need to clone some regions from
your existing panorama. Export a rectilinear view with the shadow in it
and use healing brush or patch tool in photoshop to hide the black holes.

-> http://wiki.panotools.org/Extracting_and_inserting_rectilinear_Views

Re: How do you hide the shadows in a 360 pano ?

Rick Drew
I extract a cube face in Pano2VR and touch it up in Photoshop. I try and shoot several “down” images without shadows to aid in touch-up, but it’s not always possible.

Rick Drew

Re: How do you hide the shadows in a 360 pano ?

Mark D. Fink
I have two videos here that might help:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owq7kaXMTTk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trYQ61_bOb0