Quantcast

I just don't get Facebook...

DemonDuck
I've looked at the Facebook pano page and I just don't get it.

It just looks like a random collection of argle-bargle to me.

This list may be old technology but if you ask a question, answers are
easily deciphered.  Facebook looks like a highschool bulletin board.  And
all those people who want to be "friends".  That's terrifying...

Re: I just don't get Facebook...

John Riley-2
On Feb 15, 2012, at 10:53 AM, Ken Warner wrote:

> I've looked at the Facebook pano page and I just don't get it.
>
> It just looks like a random collection of argle-bargle to me.
>
> This list may be old technology but if you ask a question, answers are
> easily deciphered. Facebook looks like a highschool bulletin board. And
> all those people who want to be "friends". That's terrifying...

Ditto for me. I despise Facebook, but am on it very reluctantly. Good luck searching for something from a while back in the discussions. I also get a constant stream of friend requests, 90% from people I don't know. I have even gotten them from teenage friends of my niece; I felt like calling up her parents and asking if they knew their 13 y.o. daughter was randomly making friend requests to 50 year old men!

Don't get me started on Twitter or texting. I know I sound like a Luddite, but I am very high tech oriented. I just find all of those things to be time wasters and annoyances.

Gawd, I sound like my grandparents: Back when I was a kid, we had to walk to school, through the snow, uphill in both directions, and we LIKED it!

John

John Riley
4Pi-VR Media Solutions
http://4pi-vr.com
[hidden email]
(h)864-461-3504
(c)864-431-7075
(w)864-503-5775

RE: I just don't get Facebook...

Sacha Griffin
I just built a reddit as there doesn't seem to be a good one already.

http://www.reddit.com/r/panotools

If you haven't caught the fever already. Reddit's is a simple forum with an
beautifully simple voting system that serve to promote or demote posts and
comments.

Once I found reddit, my time on facebook and g+ dropped about 98%.

Join or don't join it's up to you.  But it's possible we might be able to
make a clean, quick and very useful resource here.

Sacha Griffin

 <http://www.seeit360.com/> http://www.seeit360.com

 <http://twitter.com/SeeIt360> http://twitter.com/SeeIt360

 <http://www.facebook.com/SeeIt360> http://www.facebook.com/SeeIt360

EMAIL: [hidden email]

IM:  <mailto:[hidden email]> [hidden email]

Office: 404-551-4275

Re: I just don't get Facebook...

DemonDuck
We all use this forum to announce or denigrate other types of forums.
What does that tell you?

Sacha Griffin wrote:

> I just built a reddit as there doesn't seem to be a good one already.
>
> http://www.reddit.com/r/panotools
>

> If you haven't caught the fever already. Reddit's is a simple forum with an
> beautifully simple voting system that serve to promote or demote posts and
> comments.
>
> Once I found reddit, my time on facebook and g+ dropped about 98%.
>

> Join or don't join it's up to you.  But it's possible we might be able to
> make a clean, quick and very useful resource here.
>

> Sacha Griffin
>
> Southern Digital Solutions LLC  - Atlanta, Georgia
>
>  <http://www.seeit360.com/> http://www.seeit360.com
>
>  <http://twitter.com/SeeIt360> http://twitter.com/SeeIt360
>
>  <http://www.facebook.com/SeeIt360> http://www.facebook.com/SeeIt360
>
> EMAIL: [hidden email]
>
> IM:  <mailto:[hidden email]> [hidden email]
>
> Office: 404-551-4275

Re: I just don't get Facebook...

Christian Bloch-2
Same here.

As long as facebook is optional, I prefer not to participate. Pretty sure at some point maintaining a proper online profile with my network of friends and every detail about my interests will be mandatory for every citizen, because it is so incredibly useful for data mining. Call me paranoid, but I grew up in the GDR and I can't help wondering how much the Stasi would have loved facebook.

In terms of email lists being outdated - I really like searching the archive in nanoseconds, because it's all on my local machine. There's a lot of good information here.

Blochi

> Ditto for me. I despise Facebook, but am on it very reluctantly.

Re: I just don't get Facebook...

Roger Howard

On Feb 15, 2012, at 10:05 AM, Ken Warner wrote:

> We all use this forum to announce or denigrate other types of forums.
> What does that tell you?

You might. The vast, vast majority of people I know, work with, and socialize with, don't subscribe to any mailing lists - in fact a significantly large number of people I associate with barely use email at all, as it's viewed (rightly, in my judgement) a terribly limited, awkward, and inflexible medium.

Anyway, this *mailing list* has a lot of noise on it these days, including discussions of the opinions of the relative value of other communications mediums, frequent debates about platforms, and other discussions with only the most tenuous connection to the stated purpose of the forum. I would agree, not every medium is right for everyone - it's often generational and cultural - but to suggest that those mediums are not valuable is entirely self-centered. But mailing lists are hardly the end-all-be-all of social communications mediums.

If you think Twitter is just for following Bieber, and Facebook is all about fending off requests from people you left behind when you graduated high school, you use them differently than I do.

RE: I just don't get Facebook...

Sacha Griffin
True. That's the shows the strength of reddit..  The noise is dramatically
reduced. You can scan a whole page in a few seconds and just see what
interests you.

For instance, for the FB group.. it was all those f'in little planets.

I can't even bring myself to create them anymore.

And I thought they were a fad 5 years ago.

Anyway, if someone is interested in posting the first few good links or
helping out with moderation. Let me know.

http://www.reddit.com/r/panotools

Sacha Griffin

 <http://www.seeit360.com/> http://www.seeit360.com

 <http://twitter.com/SeeIt360> http://twitter.com/SeeIt360

 <http://www.facebook.com/SeeIt360> http://www.facebook.com/SeeIt360

EMAIL: [hidden email]

IM:  <mailto:[hidden email]> [hidden email]

Office: 404-551-4275

RE: I just don't get Facebook...

Fernando Chaves-2
We take exactly the same view here. Maybe just because I'm not familiar with
getting technical help from Facebook.

Best regards,

Fernando

[...]

Peter Stephens - PanoTools NG list
Personally I get a lot from Twitter..  though if it wasn't for the business
I probably wouldn't put as much time into it as I do.  I've got a facebook
account for my business too, though I find Twitter far more valuable for
attracting clients.  These usually come through recommendation from other
people who I chat too.   It does take up time yes, but it's free marketing
so worth it.  and the time I spent is usually spare time when the computer
is doing something or I've a moment to spare out of the office on my phone.
It did take me a while to get into it though, at first I thought like you do
and gave up really quick.  A friend got me back onto it again and it was
well worth it.  Facebook I find better for keeping in touch with friends
through my personal account, though I have a few clients who interact with
me so I try to use it too.  Google + on the other hand I get hardly any
interaction at all.  so don't bother much.  No doubt if I put a little more
time into it I might get on with it better????

Pete

Peter Stephens Photography
www.peterstephens.co.uk

(w)864-503-5775

Re: I just don't get Facebook...

Marc Huff
The problem, though, is Google is ranking Google+ very highly with their
search results now.  I do some freelance web work for an SEO company and
their pathetic G+ page kicked their well-done website to #6 and listed the
two G+ pages as #1 and #2 for an SEO search in the midwest, USA.

On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 1:56 PM, Peter Stephens - PanoTools NG list <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> **
>

> Personally I get a lot from Twitter….  though if it wasn’t for the
> business I probably wouldn’t put as much time into it as I do.  I’ve got
> a facebook account for my business too, though I find Twitter far more
> valuable for attracting clients.  These usually come through
> recommendation from other people who I chat too.   It does take up time
> yes, but it’s free marketing so worth it…  and the time I spent is
> usually spare time when the computer is doing something or I’ve a moment to
> spare out of the office on my phone.   It did take me a while to get into
> it though, at first I thought like you do and gave up really quick.  A
> friend got me back onto it again and it was well worth it.  Facebook I
> find better for keeping in touch with friends through my personal account,
> though I have a few clients who interact with me so I try to use it too.  Google
> + on the other hand I get hardly any interaction at all…  so don’t bother
> much.  No doubt if I put a little more time into it I might get on with
> it better????  ****
>
> ** **
>
> ** **
>
> Pete****
>
> ** **
>
> Peter Stephens Photography****
>
> www.peterstephens.co.uk ****
>
> ** **
>
> ** **

Re: I just don't get Facebook...

Hans-74

--- In [hidden email], Roger Howard <rogerhoward@...> wrote:

> On Feb 15, 2012, at 10:05 AM, Ken Warner wrote:
>
> > We all use this forum to announce or denigrate other types of forums.
> > What does that tell you?
>
> You might. The vast, vast majority of people I know, work with, and socialize with, don't subscribe to any mailing lists - in fact a significantly large number of people I associate with barely use email at all, as it's viewed (rightly, in my judgement) a terribly limited, >awkward, and inflexible medium.

I have never used Panotools as a mailing list.
Why would you  spam, you mail with it when you can visit it online and post online.

I do not understand why people choose to receive mails from it.

Hans

> Anyway, this *mailing list* has a lot of noise on it these days, including discussions of the opinions of the relative value of other communications mediums, frequent debates about platforms, and other discussions with only the most tenuous connection to the stated purpose of the forum. I would agree, not every medium is right for everyone - it's often generational and cultural - but to suggest that those mediums are not valuable is entirely self-centered. But mailing lists are hardly the end-all-be-all of social communications mediums.
>
> If you think Twitter is just for following Bieber, and Facebook is all about fending off requests from people you left behind when you graduated high school, you use them differently than I do.

Re: I just don't get Facebook...

Kathy Wheeler

On 02/16/2012, at 7:21 AM, Hans wrote:
> I have never used Panotools as a mailing list.
> Why would you  spam, you mail with it when you can visit it online and post online.
>
> I do not understand why people choose to receive mails from it.

Some of us have very good spam filters and email is in-your-face, it *needs* to be cleared / checked. Yahoo's online interface is (for me) searching past messages (that weren't kept) or looking for missing posts that never arrived or were accidentally deleted ;-)

Facebook is maybe once-a-day quick scan for news from family, check out the cartoons posted in your feed, and the occasional video of those crazy men in flying suits, and cute quadracopters(sp?) and skip the plethora of little planets (I'm rethinking my own use of them now ... ).

YMMV ... there's room for all technologies, and so many of us now it's not likely to dilute the pool of knowledge by much - it's not as if you can only join one group. Still, when questions aren't answered on other "forums", they usually eventually come here. And they are usually answered.

KathyW.

Re: I just don't get Facebook...

Roger D Williams

I was willing to try this but Reddit kept refusing my registration with various errors and finally said I was making too many attempts to join and to try again later. Anything that would reduce my interactions with Twitter and Facebook has to be worth tring. Perhaps tomorrow?

Roger W.

Sent from my iPad

On Feb 16, 2012, at 2:56 AM, "Sacha Griffin" <[hidden email]> wrote:

I just built a reddit as there doesn’t seem to be a good one already.

http://www.reddit.com/r/panotools

If you haven’t caught the fever already. Reddit’s is a simple forum with an beautifully simple voting system that serve to promote or demote posts and comments.

Once I found reddit, my time on facebook and g+ dropped about 98%.

Join or don’t join it’s up to you.  But it’s possible we might be able to make a clean, quick and very useful resource here.

Sacha Griffin

http://www.seeit360.com

http://twitter.com/SeeIt360

http://www.facebook.com/SeeIt360

EMAIL: [hidden email]

IM: [hidden email]

Office: 404-551-4275

[...]

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

Re: I just don't get Facebook...

Sacha Griffin
That's odd. Reddit is more about being anonymous and I know many people
make temporary accounts all the time. It should be pretty easy to create
accounts.
One word of warning: reddit eclipses every other website for member content
and losing time, once you figure it out. There are topical reddits for
everything.

Sacha Griffin
http://www.seeit360.com
http://twitter.com/SeeIt360
http://www.facebook.com/panoramas/
IM: [hidden email]
Office: 404-551-4275

[hidden email]> wrote:

I just built a reddit as there doesn’t seem to be a good one already.

http://www.reddit.com/r/panotools

If you haven’t caught the fever already. Reddit’s is a simple forum with an
beautifully simple voting system that serve to promote or demote posts and
comments.

Once I found reddit, my time on facebook and g+ dropped about 98%.

Join or don’t join it’s up to you.  But it’s possible we might be able to
make a clean, quick and very useful resource here.

Sacha Griffin

http://www.seeit360.com

http://twitter.com/SeeIt360

http://www.facebook.com/SeeIt360

EMAIL: [hidden email]

IM: [hidden email]

Office: 404-551-4275

Re: I just don't get Facebook...

panovrx-2
I spend way too much time reading Reddit. The ask Science reddit for instance has phenomenal amounts of expertise on tap. The front page of Reddit is rather US-centric and pun obsessed imo -  but the subreddits are often interesting. My feeling is that subreddits like ask Science require a lot of moderator input.
PeterM

--- In [hidden email], "Sacha Griffin" <sachagriffin@...> wrote:

> True. That's the shows the strength of reddit..  The noise is dramatically
> reduced. You can scan a whole page in a few seconds and just see what
> interests you.
>
> For instance, for the FB group.. it was all those f'in little planets.
>
> I can't even bring myself to create them anymore.
>
> And I thought they were a fad 5 years ago.
>

> Anyway, if someone is interested in posting the first few good links or
> helping out with moderation. Let me know.
>

> http://www.reddit.com/r/panotools
>

> Sacha Griffin
>
> Southern Digital Solutions LLC  - Atlanta, Georgia
>
>  <http://www.seeit360.com/> http://www.seeit360.com
>
>  <http://twitter.com/SeeIt360> http://twitter.com/SeeIt360
>
>  <http://www.facebook.com/SeeIt360> http://www.facebook.com/SeeIt360
>
> EMAIL: sachagriffin@...
>
> IM:  <mailto:sachagriffin007@...> sachagriffin007@...
>
> Office: 404-551-4275

Reddit comes pre-subscribed with a lot of stupid "reddits" forums.. AFAIK,
the front page is made up of nothing but what you are subscribed with. So
you can turn off all the junk if you want.

Many reddits like ask science are simply awe inspiring. AMA (ask me
anything) when the have good people can not be missed.

Reddit is quickly sucking up all available readers for forums of any topic
simply based on its strengths.  I hope we can get some good people from here
to there. At least to give it a try.

-sacha

I spend way too much time reading Reddit. The ask Science reddit for
instance has phenomenal amounts of expertise on tap. The front page of
Reddit is rather US-centric and pun obsessed imo - but the subreddits are
often interesting. My feeling is that subreddits like ask Science require a
lot of moderator input.
PeterM

--- In [hidden email] <mailto:PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com> ,
"Sacha Griffin" <sachagriffin@...> wrote:

> True. That's the shows the strength of reddit.. The noise is dramatically
> reduced. You can scan a whole page in a few seconds and just see what
> interests you.
>
> For instance, for the FB group.. it was all those f'in little planets.
>
> I can't even bring myself to create them anymore.
>
> And I thought they were a fad 5 years ago.
>

> Anyway, if someone is interested in posting the first few good links or
> helping out with moderation. Let me know.
>

> http://www.reddit.com/r/panotools
>

> Sacha Griffin

> <http://www.seeit360.com/> http://www.seeit360.com
>
> <http://twitter.com/SeeIt360> http://twitter.com/SeeIt360
>
> <http://www.facebook.com/SeeIt360> http://www.facebook.com/SeeIt360
>
> EMAIL: sachagriffin@...
>
> IM: <mailto:sachagriffin007@...> sachagriffin007@...
>
> Office: 404-551-4275
>

> From: [hidden email] <mailto:PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com>
> On Feb 15, 2012, at 10:05 AM, Ken Warner wrote:
>

> We all use this forum to announce or denigrate other types of forums.
> What does that tell you?
>

> You might. The vast, vast majority of people I know, work with, and
> socialize with, don't subscribe to any mailing lists - in fact a
> significantly large number of people I associate with barely use email at
> all, as it's viewed (rightly, in my judgement) a terribly limited,
awkward,
> and inflexible medium.
>

> Anyway, this *mailing list* has a lot of noise on it these days, including
> discussions of the opinions of the relative value of other communications
> mediums, frequent debates about platforms, and other discussions with only
> the most tenuous connection to the stated purpose of the forum. I would
> agree, not every medium is right for everyone - it's often generational
and
> cultural - but to suggest that those mediums are not valuable is entirely
> self-centered. But mailing lists are hardly the end-all-be-all of social
> communications mediums.
>

> If you think Twitter is just for following Bieber, and Facebook is all
about
> fending off requests from people you left behind when you graduated high
> school, you use them differently than I do.

Re: I just don't get Facebook...

Roger D Williams

Well, I don't know whether I count as "good" or not, but I'm hooked--and in. They must have been having some kind of server problem just now when I couldn't join. You'll find me as "Roger1122."

Roger W.

Sent from my iPad

--- In [hidden email], "Sacha Griffin" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> True. That's the shows the strength of reddit.. The noise is dramatically
> reduced. You can scan a whole page in a few seconds and just see what
> interests you.
>
> For instance, for the FB group.. it was all those f'in little planets.
>
> I can't even bring myself to create them anymore.
>
> And I thought they were a fad 5 years ago.
>

> Anyway, if someone is interested in posting the first few good links or
> helping out with moderation. Let me know.
>

> http://www.reddit.com/r/panotools
>

> Sacha Griffin

> <http://www.seeit360.com/> http://www.seeit360.com
>
> <http://twitter.com/SeeIt360> http://twitter.com/SeeIt360
>
> <http://www.facebook.com/SeeIt360> http://www.facebook.com/SeeIt360
>
> EMAIL: sachagriffin@...
>
> IM: <[hidden email]> sachagriffin007@...
>
> Office: 404-551-4275

__,_._,___

Re: I just don't get Facebook...

guillaume_fulchiron
Christian Bloch <Blochi@...> wrote:

> Same here.
>
> As long as facebook is optional, I prefer not to participate. Pretty sure at some point maintaining a proper online profile with my network of friends and every detail about my interests will be mandatory for every citizen, because it is so incredibly useful for data mining. Call me paranoid, but I grew up in the GDR and I can't help wondering how much the Stasi would have loved facebook.
>
> In terms of email lists being outdated - I really like searching the archive in nanoseconds, because it's all on my local machine. There's a lot of good information here.
>
> Blochi

+1

G.

Re: I just don't get Facebook...

giant_klobasa_monster

--- In [hidden email], Ken Warner <kwarner000@...> wrote:

> We all use this forum to announce or denigrate other types of forums.

I imagine you shouting this in an empty trailer park.

Re: I just don't get Facebook...

DemonDuck
With only you listening ?  :-)