I'm making more than $1000 / year with my panos *without doing anything*

I'm making more than $1000 / year with my panos *without doing anything*

giant_klobasa_monster
Hey everybody.

You might have noticed that I haven't really advertised or promoted
360cities here on this list for a looong time.  Well, allow me to do it
once:

By keeping all the google adsense revenue for my panos on 360cities by
having a Pro Account,
I am making more than $1000 USD per year on my panos.  This is a 3x return
on investment (considering the price of the pro account)

This is passive revenue - I don't actually have to do anything, and this
money comes. I think that's pretty damn cool. You won't get that by
publishing your photos on flickr or facebook or any other photo-publishing
website (or on your own website). Of course this is not a primary source of
revenue; of course we can all make more money by *selling* panos to people.
But you know, you can do both of these things :)

I might be biased :) but I don't see any reason NOT to buy a Pro account on
360cities.net :)

http://www.360cities.net/signup

cheers,
Jeffrey

Re: I'm making more than $1000 / year with my panos *without doing anything*

pedro_silva58
hey jeffrey

in the interests of full disclosure...
a) what percentage of pro accounts make at least a 3x return on investment?
b) what percentage of pro accounts make any return over the investment?

cheers,
pedro

--- In [hidden email], Jeffrey Martin <panoramas@...> wrote:

> Hey everybody.
>
> You might have noticed that I haven't really advertised or promoted
> 360cities here on this list for a looong time.  Well, allow me to do it
> once:
>
> By keeping all the google adsense revenue for my panos on 360cities by
> having a Pro Account,
> I am making more than $1000 USD per year on my panos.  This is a 3x return
> on investment (considering the price of the pro account)
>
> This is passive revenue - I don't actually have to do anything, and this
> money comes. I think that's pretty damn cool. You won't get that by
> publishing your photos on flickr or facebook or any other photo-publishing
> website (or on your own website). Of course this is not a primary source of
> revenue; of course we can all make more money by *selling* panos to people.
> But you know, you can do both of these things :)
>
> I might be biased :) but I don't see any reason NOT to buy a Pro account on
> 360cities.net :)
>
> http://www.360cities.net/signup
>
> cheers,
> Jeffrey

Re: I'm making more than $1000 / year with my panos *without doing anything*

edufrick
Jeffrey has published 3247 excellent and interesting panoramas, and has a return on investment equal to 3x the amount invested in a PRO account. We can deduce then that we must have at least 1000 excellent and interesting panoramas to be worth the investment in a Pro account. I have only 47 panoramas, and they are not excellent or very interesting. :-)

[] Eduardo

--- In [hidden email], Jeffrey Martin <panoramas@...> wrote:

> Hey everybody.
>
> You might have noticed that I haven't really advertised or promoted
> 360cities here on this list for a looong time.  Well, allow me to do it
> once:
>
> By keeping all the google adsense revenue for my panos on 360cities by
> having a Pro Account,
> I am making more than $1000 USD per year on my panos.  This is a 3x return
> on investment (considering the price of the pro account)
>
> This is passive revenue - I don't actually have to do anything, and this
> money comes. I think that's pretty damn cool. You won't get that by
> publishing your photos on flickr or facebook or any other photo-publishing
> website (or on your own website). Of course this is not a primary source of
> revenue; of course we can all make more money by *selling* panos to people.
> But you know, you can do both of these things :)
>
> I might be biased :) but I don't see any reason NOT to buy a Pro account on
> 360cities.net :)
>
> http://www.360cities.net/signup
>
> cheers,
> Jeffrey

Re: I'm making more than $1000 / year with my panos *without doing anything*

Matt Smith-11
Eduardo,

I took those same panos. :)

Matt Smith
PhotoSpherix
317.396.5791
Spin 360 Product Photography
Indianapolis, Indiana USA
http://www.photospherix.com

On Sep 21, 2011, at 9:51 AM, edufrick wrote:

> Jeffrey has published 3247 excellent and interesting panoramas, and has a return on investment equal to 3x the amount invested in a PRO account. We can deduce then that we must have at least 1000 excellent and interesting panoramas to be worth the investment in a Pro account. I have only 47 panoramas, and they are not excellent or very interesting. :-)
>
> [] Eduardo
>

> --- In [hidden email], Jeffrey Martin <panoramas@...> wrote:
>>
>> Hey everybody.
>>
>> You might have noticed that I haven't really advertised or promoted
>> 360cities here on this list for a looong time.  Well, allow me to do it
>> once:
>>
>> By keeping all the google adsense revenue for my panos on 360cities by
>> having a Pro Account,
>> I am making more than $1000 USD per year on my panos.  This is a 3x return
>> on investment (considering the price of the pro account)
>>
>> This is passive revenue - I don't actually have to do anything, and this
>> money comes. I think that's pretty damn cool. You won't get that by
>> publishing your photos on flickr or facebook or any other photo-publishing
>> website (or on your own website). Of course this is not a primary source of
>> revenue; of course we can all make more money by *selling* panos to people.
>> But you know, you can do both of these things :)
>>
>> I might be biased :) but I don't see any reason NOT to buy a Pro account on
>> 360cities.net :)
>>
>> http://www.360cities.net/signup
>>
>> cheers,
>> Jeffrey

Re: I'm making more than $1000 / year with my panos *without doing anything*

Robert Slade
I'm sorry, but I find this to be quite an unconvincing argument.

If a lot of people got back 3x their investment, surely you would make
it a free service and rake in the adwords revenue for yourself?

Far more meaningful figures would be the average revenue per Pro account
subscriber, or an average revenue per pano uploaded. Do you know either
of those figures?

Regards,
Rob

Sent from my iPhone

--
Robert Slade, Photographer
Manor Photography 07890 564889
http://www.manor-photography.com

Re: I'm making more than $1000 / year with my panos *without doing anything*

Robert Harshman
By keeping all the google adsense revenue for my panos on 360cities by
> having a Pro Account,
> I am making more than $1000 USD per year on my panos.  This is a 3x return on investment (considering the price of the pro account)

So wrong in so many ways. When will you ever understand what it takes to make a living as a commercial photographer? 360cities had great potential, but you seem to have absolutely no idea how to monetize it.

Let me see, given that you have a bit over 3,000 images on your site, means your making about $3.00 per image a year - passively of course once you've spent the hours required to shoot, process and post them. You can figure out what that would amount to you per hour, should make flipping burger's sound really good.

Let's be clear here, you're NOT making any money from your images, and you need many more to sign up for "pro" accounts so you can make much more money off that.

A 3X return paid for by a 1,000X upfront investment :)

reload

Re: I'm making more than $1000 / year with my panos *without doing anything*

Matthew Rogers - 360Precision
But you have no idea how much money is being generated via prints, licensing deals and work generated by the exposure to the images. The adsense is just one small piece of the puzzle. Do you really think Jeff would be giving 100% of the ad revenue to customers if he weren't making money elsewhere from the submitted images ? Hell no. As the other income streams are shared you can conclude the some photographers are making money via these other avenues.

The key is in the subject line *without doing anything*

Matt

On 22 Sep 2011, at 03:42, robert wrote:

> By keeping all the google adsense revenue for my panos on 360cities by
> > having a Pro Account,
> > I am making more than $1000 USD per year on my panos. This is a 3x return on investment (considering the price of the pro account)
>
> So wrong in so many ways. When will you ever understand what it takes to make a living as a commercial photographer? 360cities had great potential, but you seem to have absolutely no idea how to monetize it.
>
> Let me see, given that you have a bit over 3,000 images on your site, means your making about $3.00 per image a year - passively of course once you've spent the hours required to shoot, process and post them. You can figure out what that would amount to you per hour, should make flipping burger's sound really good.
>
> Let's be clear here, you're NOT making any money from your images, and you need many more to sign up for "pro" accounts so you can make much more money off that.
>
> A 3X return paid for by a 1,000X upfront investment :)
>
> reload

Re: I'm making more than $1000 / year with my panos *without doing anything*

jimbo
Hey Jeff,
Well right now I'm kinda feeling for you.. I feel your post was well intended but looks like theirs a few here that think they have the right to critique your business, you and what services you choose to offer.. In two words.... They Don't..
Ok, now I really didn't know that much about 360 cities but thanks to a couple of flamers here I crawled thru Jeff's site.. Hey Jeff, admittedly I've not had any experience working with you but it looks to me that what you have put together surely would work well for many people.. As far as your noticing that their is a place where revenues from Google surpass your fees for the Pro service.. and choosing to share that.. well I think that is just fine.. Yes I know your promoting your own business but you are also making an awareness available such that if it is a make sense move for some of your clients to bump up in their service plan or it also may set up a space of something to work towards... Well I think that's what you should do.. The real deal is that you noticed a possible opportunity in your service packages that in some situations turned around financially to be a benefit to your clients if certain criteria were met....good to point that out..
Ok lastly, to me this is an incredible group you guys have a drive and a focus that  blows me away at times.. A couple of you did posts in response to Jeff's that were anything but professional.. It's pretty clear that your not Jeff fans... which is ok....  no kidding.. but remember this is a public group.. not a personal phone call...
Oh, I guess I need to fix something that I typed above.. my second and third sentence.. Actually that few do have the right to critique your business....but if their truly Pro's they'll  do it differently...We all need to remember what goes around comes around.. Sometimes maybe we forget ..

Re: I'm making more than $1000 / year with my panos *without doing anything*

giant_klobasa_monster
Hi Eduardo,

Actually it doesn't work like that. the CTR on various panos is very different. In prague where I have around 1000 panos, I could probably remove most of them and receive the same revenue.

The earning comes from a combination of geographic distribution, popularity, quality of title/description, visibility in google search.

Willy Kaemena has far fewer panos, but earns far more than me, as far as I can tell.

Jeffrey

--- In [hidden email], Robert Slade <robert@...> wrote:

> I'm sorry, but I find this to be quite an unconvincing argument.
>
> If a lot of people got back 3x their investment, surely you would make
> it a free service and rake in the adwords revenue for yourself?

Hi Robert,

Yes we do that as well :)

We feel that offering people this revenue is a good way to keep them as happy members for a long time.

Of course, some people earn more, and some people earn less.

Of course you can dismantle my argument in various ways, of course you won't earn $1000 on 47 panos, and so on.

Fact is, you CAN earn very well, much better than passive revenue from panos on any other site on the web. That is the point I was trying to make.

Jeffrey

Re: I'm making more than $1000 / year with my panos *without doing anything*

giant_klobasa_monster

Ah, another armchair CEO.

Yes, being an armchair CEO is easy.

We all know how to run Microsoft, Google, IBM, and Exxon-Mobil, I guess.

Robert, we are doing our best. It would be nice if you actually did understand how our company works before you disparage it. Maybe next time I'm in Chicago we can do that over a beer and a chicago pizza.

cheers,
Jeffrey

--- In [hidden email], "robert" <image360@...> wrote:

> By keeping all the google adsense revenue for my panos on 360cities by
> > having a Pro Account,
> > I am making more than $1000 USD per year on my panos.  This is a 3x return on investment (considering the price of the pro account)
>

> So wrong in so many ways. When will you ever understand what it takes to make a living as a commercial photographer? 360cities had great potential, but you seem to have absolutely no idea how to monetize it.
>
> Let me see, given that you have a bit over 3,000 images on your site, means your making about $3.00 per image a year - passively of course once you've spent the hours required to shoot, process and post them. You can figure out what that would amount to you per hour, should make flipping burger's sound really good.
>
> Let's be clear here, you're NOT making any money from your images, and you need many more to sign up for "pro" accounts so you can make much more money off that.
>
> A 3X return paid for by a 1,000X upfront investment :)
>
> reload

Re: I'm making more than $1000 / year with my panos *without doing anything*

giant_klobasa_monster
Matthew is absolutely correct.

--- In [hidden email], Matthew Rogers <matthew@...> wrote:

> But you have no idea how much money is being generated via prints, licensing deals and work generated by the exposure to the images. The adsense is just one small piece of the puzzle. Do you really think Jeff would be giving 100% of the ad revenue to customers if he weren't making money elsewhere from the submitted images ? Hell no. As the other income streams are shared you can conclude the some photographers are making money via these other avenues.
>
> The key is in the subject line *without doing anything*
>
> Matt

Re: I'm making more than $1000 / year with my panos *without doing anything*

giant_klobasa_monster
Hi Pedro,

a) We don't know, because they are making the money, not us. You put your own adsense id in, and the money goes to you. it doesn't go through us so it's impossible to know.

b) I would guess most of them, but I don't know, see above.
Incidentally, I cannot publish 5x more panos and earn 5x more. I actually do have at least 10,000 unstitched panos on my hard disks. It won't work that way however.

by the way, I (or anyone else) can't disclose exact figures. from the adsense TOU:

    Confidentiality.

    8.1        You shall not disclose ... (b) click-through rates or other statistics relating to Property performance in the Programme provided to You by Google...

    8.2        Notwithstanding the foregoing, You may accurately disclose the amount of Google’s gross payments to You pursuant to the Programme.

--- In [hidden email], "pedro_silva58" <pedro_silva58@...> wrote:

> hey jeffrey
>
> in the interests of full disclosure...
> a) what percentage of pro accounts make at least a 3x return on investment?
> b) what percentage of pro accounts make any return over the investment?
>
> cheers,
> pedro
>
> --- In [hidden email], Jeffrey Martin <panoramas@> wrote:
> >
> > Hey everybody.
> >
> > You might have noticed that I haven't really advertised or promoted
> > 360cities here on this list for a looong time.  Well, allow me to do it
> > once:
> >
> > By keeping all the google adsense revenue for my panos on 360cities by
> > having a Pro Account,
> > I am making more than $1000 USD per year on my panos.  This is a 3x return
> > on investment (considering the price of the pro account)
> >
> > This is passive revenue - I don't actually have to do anything, and this
> > money comes. I think that's pretty damn cool. You won't get that by
> > publishing your photos on flickr or facebook or any other photo-publishing
> > website (or on your own website). Of course this is not a primary source of
> > revenue; of course we can all make more money by *selling* panos to people.
> > But you know, you can do both of these things :)
> >
> > I might be biased :) but I don't see any reason NOT to buy a Pro account on
> > 360cities.net :)
> >
> > http://www.360cities.net/signup
> >
> > cheers,
> > Jeffrey

Re: I'm making more than $1000 / year with my panos *without doing anything*

Robert Slade
Jeffrey,

Thanks for your reasoned reply ;-)

My original point was that I need a little more convincing. Your email
had a kind of "too good to be true" feel about it (to me at least) and I
had to question it.

However, as a result of your email, I was curious and registered with a
free 360cities account.

OK, I will upload some panoramas and give it a try ;-)

Just one question: Are there any stats on a free account? The "join"
page says not. In which case, is there any way to know when your Adsense
revenue would exceed the cost of the "Pro" account?

Regards,
Rob
--

--
Robert Slade, Photographer
Manor Photography 07890 564889
http://www.manor-photography.com

Re: I'm making more than $1000 / year with my panos *without doing anything*

giant_klobasa_monster

Hi Robert,

--- In [hidden email], Robert Slade <robert@...> wrote:

> My original point was that I need a little more convincing. Your email
> had a kind of "too good to be true" feel about it (to me at least) and I
> had to question it.

Sure. Well, honestly, my panos are not very globally distributed, and most of them are *not* tagged very well, although most do have reasonable titles. Tons of them have no description at all. Contrast with Willy kaemena's panos, which are universally perfect, good title, tags, description, in nearly every country of the world (ok not really but you get the idea) What I mean is there are certainly some members earning more than me per month.

> Just one question: Are there any stats on a free account? The "join"
> page says not.

no, the stats server (yes we need a separate server for it) is a significant cost, so we only offer that for paid accounts.

> In which case, is there any way to know when your Adsense
> revenue would exceed the cost of the "Pro" account?

As I mentioned in a previous post, it's against the rules to share click through rates and stuff like that. Furthermore we actually don't know what other members earn unless they tell us.

Jeffrey

Am 26.09.2011 10:56, schrieb Robert Slade:
> Just one question: Are there any stats on a free account? The "join"
> page says not. In which case, is there any way to know when your Adsense
> revenue would exceed the cost of the "Pro" account?

You have the stats in your Adsense account. Just declare 360cities a
separate channel.

Re: I'm making more than $1000 / year with my panos *without doing anything*

Robert Harshman
Haaaaaaa....! :)

best stupid joke I've heard in a very long time.

how much money, $0

Let's see some numbers?

Posting for free makes NO sense if you're a pro, others may find some satisfaction.

But significant print or referral work from any online site is a pipe dream best taken with a lottery ticket. Just not going happen.

If you're a pro you have to market, yourself, endlessly, all the time, twice over. 360citites and others like it are basically a waste of time/effort. You simply get lost in the crowd if they even find you.

If you're a pro or advanced amateur and either have and/or are producing a lot of high quality images send me a private email.
I may have a way to get you real value for your work.

Cheers,

Robert

Re: I'm making more than $1000 / year with my panos *without doing anything*

giant_klobasa_monster

Robert,

You have been "against" 360Cities for years, so I don't really find your post meaningful, and I'll choose not to reply to it.

But let me ask, why the emotion? Have I somehow inconvenienced you in the past by building a company? The fact is I have dedicated a very significant chunk of my life to popularize and bring 360º photography closer to the mainstream. That helps even you, Robert. Admit it :)

It seems a bit odd that even such a rather innocuous post that I made can incite such basement-dwelling, spittle-flecked growls from people such as yourself. I don't know why. But it is the (increasingly) unpleasant side of this List.

Let me ask you again - you're among the first to critize me and my company, but never to made any meaningful suggestion as to how we might do something differently - and certainly I have never heard any hint from you that we might be doing something *right*, which I find rather sad.

Jeffrey

--- In [hidden email], "robert" <image360@...> wrote:

> Haaaaaaa....! :)
>
> best stupid joke I've heard in a very long time.
>
> how much money, $0
>
> Let's see some numbers?
>
> Posting for free makes NO sense if you're a pro, others may find some satisfaction.
>
> But significant print or referral work from any online site is a pipe dream best taken with a lottery ticket. Just not going happen.
>
> If you're a pro you have to market, yourself, endlessly, all the time, twice over. 360citites and others like it are basically a waste of time/effort. You simply get lost in the crowd if they even find you.
>
> If you're a pro or advanced amateur and either have and/or are producing a lot of high quality images send me a private email.
> I may have a way to get you real value for your work.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Robert

Re: I'm making more than $1000 / year with my panos *without doing anything*

Mark D. Fink
Well, I'll hop in here since I'm a pro on 360Cities. I just got a deposit in
my account this morning for more than $100 and next month, based on what I
have so far in AdSense, it will be just over $200.

I have 254 panos published, but to be fair, five of those are of the World
Trade Center taken back in 2000. I've had a LOT of traffic on those lately.
However, my most popular pano is this one with over 200,000 views:

http://www.360cities.net/image/radio-city-music-hall#0.00,0.00,70.0

So, did I get a bump with the recent 9/11 10th anniversary? Almost
certainly. Will it continue - we'll see. The thing is, as Jeffrey has
pointed out, once I published these panos, (and got smart enough to set up
AdSense properly...), I started generating revenue.

I went over a year without setting up AdSense on my account, so I probably
left a bit of money on the table. If you are interested, email me in another
month or two and I'll give you rough figures on my ongoing earnings. (I
think I'm not allowed to get too specific as per the AdSense TOS.)

Mark

www.northernlight.net
www.virtual-travels.com
www.pinnacle-vr.com

Jeffery,

I'm not now nor have I ever been against 360cities. I'm for it, actually, and wish you nothing but success.

But I'm also not a free business consultant, nor do I think there is any emotion in my comments.

You said yourself in a another post that you consider the forum an open opportunity for entertainment. So smile, laugh a bit and understand that just because someone may disagree with you or your approach does not mean they are against you.

On the contrary, the best critic of your work may be your best friend.

Cheers,

Robert