Quantcast

Inspection II.

Bostjan Burger
Just a notice for colleagues’ panographers.
I have noticed you that my web site is with the inspection of Information
Commissioner of the Republic of Slovenia. I have removed the geographical
area of Slovenia as officially no multimedia, like video, still pictures or VR
panoramas where people or their property can be recognised is not allowed on
the territory of Slovenia. It seems that was not enough as I have received the
thread that if I didn’d destroy all the VR Panoramas from my backups that I
have to sent them VR panoramas for the further investigation. If I don’t react
within one (1) day I will be penalized (I think it is 12K euros …about 20K USD)
or a one year prison.Yes … I live in European Union.
At least some “glory” to me… I am most
probably going to be the first panographer imprisoned.

Bostjan

Re: Inspection II.

AYRTON - avi
WHAT THE FUCK !!!

Sorry but there's not another word for that

I'm really sorry for you Bostjan

best regards
AYRTON

On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 4:33 AM, Bostjan Burger <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Just a notice for colleagues’ panographers.
> I have noticed you that my web site is with the inspection of Information
> Commissioner of the Republic of Slovenia. I have removed the geographical
> area of Slovenia as officially no multimedia, like video, still pictures or
> VR
> panoramas where people or their property can be recognised is not allowed
> on
> the territory of Slovenia. It seems that was not enough as I have received
> the
> thread that if I didn’d destroy all the VR Panoramas from my backups that I
> have to sent them VR panoramas for the further investigation. If I don’t
> react
> within one (1) day I will be penalized (I think it is 12K euros …about 20K
> USD)
> or a one year prison.Yes … I live in European Union.
> At least some “glory” to me… I am most
> probably going to be the first panographer imprisoned.
>
> Bostjan

+ 55 21 9982 6313 - RIO
+ 55 11 3717 5131 - SP
http://ayrton360.com
twitter.com/ayrton360

Re: Inspection II.

DemonDuck
Are you sure you are not the victim of a prank or hoax?

There is not a picture or video of any outdoor place where
something can be recognized.  That's the whole point of pictures.

Bostjan Burger wrote:

> Just a notice for colleagues’ panographers.
> I have noticed you that my web site is with the inspection of Information
> Commissioner of the Republic of Slovenia. I have removed the geographical
> area of Slovenia as officially no multimedia, like video, still pictures or VR
> panoramas where people or their property can be recognised is not allowed on
> the territory of Slovenia. It seems that was not enough as I have received the
> thread that if I didn’d destroy all the VR Panoramas from my backups that I
> have to sent them VR panoramas for the further investigation. If I don’t react
> within one (1) day I will be penalized (I think it is 12K euros …about 20K USD)
> or a one year prison.Yes … I live in European Union.
> At least some “glory� to me… I am most
> probably going to be the first panographer imprisoned.
>
> Bostjan

Re: Inspection II.

Christian Bloch-2
This sounds incredibly odd to me. What are they going to do against any of your Picasa/Flickr/Google+/Facebook/Dropbox uploads? That stuff lives on the web forever. Or the Google cache, not even to speak of the Internet Archive... Do they get similar letters concerning your website, or are these services blocked all together in Slovenia?
I really seem to miss the grand scheme, or what they are trying to achieve.

Blochi

On Jul 14, 2011, at 12:33 AM, Bostjan Burger wrote:

> Just a notice for colleagues’ panographers.
> I have noticed you that my web site is with the inspection of Information
> Commissioner of the Republic of Slovenia. I have removed the geographical
> area of Slovenia as officially no multimedia, like video, still pictures or VR
> panoramas where people or their property can be recognised is not allowed on
> the territory of Slovenia. It seems that was not enough as I have received the
> thread that if I didn’d destroy all the VR Panoramas from my backups that I
> have to sent them VR panoramas for the further investigation. If I don’t react
> within one (1) day I will be penalized (I think it is 12K euros …about 20K USD)
> or a one year prison.Yes … I live in European Union.
> At least some “glory” to me… I am most
> probably going to be the first panographer imprisoned.
>
> Bostjan

AW: [PanoToolsNG] Inspection II.

Bernhard Vogl-2
My first thought was, this must be a prank, a real bad joke.
What do they want to achieve with that? Why is the state allowed to install
public CCTV everywhere but a photographer not allowed to take panoramas in
the public? Did we now reach the point where the executive authority is
bound to another law than the citizen?

Bernhard

Re: Inspection II.

jrgen_schrader
Just tell them that you had destroyed the data yesterday.

Seriously: If that's not a fake there are photographers and journalists associations in Slovenia that should be able to help you with this.

--- In [hidden email], Bostjan Burger <si_lander@...> wrote:

> Just a notice for colleagues’ panographers.
> I have noticed you that my web site is with the inspection of Information
> Commissioner of the Republic of Slovenia. I have removed the geographical
> area of Slovenia as officially no multimedia, like video, still pictures or VR
> panoramas where people or their property can be recognised is not allowed on
> the territory of Slovenia. It seems that was not enough as I have received the
> thread that if I didn’d destroy all the VR Panoramas from my backups that I
> have to sent them VR panoramas for the further investigation. If I don’t react
> within one (1) day I will be penalized (I think it is 12K euros …about 20K USD)
> or a one year prison.Yes … I live in European Union.
> At least some “gloryâ€&#65533; to me… I am most
> probably going to be the first panographer imprisoned.
>
> Bostjan

Re: Inspection II.

Bostjan Burger
Ayrton, Ken, Christian, Jrgen,

unfortunately it is not a fake. It is allready a big debate about that in Slovenia. The Paradox was that the inspection comissar after hhundredst of questions announced that was no need for me to delete the site but the very next day, that is yesterday I received the official thread - it is pamer in my hand with the signature of the gov. office.
I suppose that the goal of the whole procedure is to show Google that even such a reputated site as was mine with same methodology (is it?) can not opreate in Slovenia. and I am over decade older with my site than Google. I have some Interviews tomorrow, and maybe the pressure of the public will do something. Maybe it is not all so black as I see at the moment.
Bostjan

________________________________
Just tell them that you had destroyed the data yesterday.

Seriously: If that's not a fake there are photographers and journalists associations in Slovenia that should be able to help you with this.

Re: Inspection II.

Ian Wood-2
Good luck, it's a horrible situation.

Ian

On 14 Jul 2011, at 12:37, Bostjan Burger wrote:

> Ayrton, Ken, Christian, Jrgen,
>

> unfortunately it is not a fake. It is allready a big debate about that in Slovenia. The Paradox was that the inspection comissar after hhundredst of questions announced that was no need for me to delete the site but the very next day, that is yesterday I received the official thread - it is pamer in my hand with the signature of the gov. office.
> I suppose that the goal of the whole procedure is to show Google that even such a reputated site as was mine with same methodology (is it?) can not opreate in Slovenia. and I am over decade older with my site than Google. I have some Interviews tomorrow, and maybe the pressure of the public will do something. Maybe it is not all so black as I see at the moment.
> Bostjan
>

> ________________________________

jot_mateng
I wish you all the best for this case.

And I hope it will result in a happy end for you.

Panotwin Juergen

Re: AW: [PanoToolsNG] Inspection II.

Bostjan Burger
Looking strictly to the Slovenian Law, no photo where the person can be identified can be published. But there won't be media in the country. I have opened a number of printed newspapers today and found not only people on the streets but also licence numbers, house numbers, e.t.c..
As I have mentioned in previous post the officialls most probably needed to find the example to justify the last year  banned GSV... what is the real background story I don't realy know.
I am still in the procedure of the (strange) inspection. I send a paper that I destrey my VRPanoramas but didn't destroy my 360° photographies and had attached a DVD with some 360° panoramas as they wanted.
It seems tha now everyone who has photos on the internet is a legal target from the Slovenian gov...or is only everyone with VR Panoramas? I don't know.

Bostjan

________________________________

Re: AW: [PanoToolsNG] Inspection II.

Willy Kaemena
Bostan don´t forget  a Panorama  is  a normal flat  photo  like any other !  the only  difference  is that is  has a FOV of 360º!  so they  should   chase  ANY  photo   in the same way...and  not concentrate  on yours.

Willy

On Jul 14, 2011, at 14:02, Bostjan Burger wrote:

> Looking strictly to the Slovenian Law, no photo where the person can be identified can be published. But there won't be media in the country. I have opened a number of printed newspapers today and found not only people on the streets but also licence numbers, house numbers, e.t.c..
> As I have mentioned in previous post the officialls most probably needed to find the example to justify the last year  banned GSV... what is the real background story I don't realy know.
> I am still in the procedure of the (strange) inspection. I send a paper that I destrey my VRPanoramas but didn't destroy my 360° photographies and had attached a DVD with some 360° panoramas as they wanted.
> It seems tha now everyone who has photos on the internet is a legal target from the Slovenian gov...or is only everyone with VR Panoramas? I don't know.
>
> Bostjan
>
> ________________________________

I have explained that 360° panorama is a 2D photo and that the transformation to VR panorama doesn't make it 3D. Now they sticked to the fact that I have published photos of people on my VR panoramas. It seems that in my support has started the action of Slovenian photographers who deliberately make photos of people on the streets and publish them on their blogs... like example: http://alanob.blogspot.com/.

Bostjan

________________________________

Re: AW: [PanoToolsNG] Inspection II.

Trausti Hraunfjord
Madness!

This is what happens when a nanny state mentality is allowed to get
foothold.

Bostjan, in case of things going REALLY bad... as in: the authorities get a
search warrant (if they even need such a legal document in your country...
highly doubtful.... judging from their crazy dog behaviour) to go through
all your home and online records in order to find and destroy your panos and
other photographs you may have of peole (including your own self-portraits
and pictures of your family and friends)... you should consider putting
everything onto sets of DVD's or external harddisks, and mail those to
people who are willing to keep those safe for you, and maybe even put the
contents on their own servers and make those available for the world to see.

I would be more than happy to help you out on that front.  Living in a 3rd
world country like Peru, provides one with freedom from insane bureaucracy
and power hungry "public defenders" who's only mission in life is to make
life miserable for everyone around them.

Trausti

Re: Inspection II.

Tamas Varga-3
This is a nightmare, Bostjan.
I am sure you've already contacted some photog associations for legal support, but perhaps the most effective solution to defend would be to use the power of press & media by contacting local and international press to highlight the stupidity of the lawmakers and prevent other nations to follow.....

Best of luck!
Tamas

--- In [hidden email], Bostjan Burger <si_lander@...> wrote:

> I have explained that 360° panorama is a 2D photo and that the transformation to VR panorama doesn't make it 3D. Now they sticked to the fact that I have published photos of people on my VR panoramas. It seems that in my support has started the action of Slovenian photographers who deliberately make photos of people on the streets and publish them on their blogs... like example: http://alanob.blogspot.com/.
>
> Bostjan
>

> ________________________________

Re: Inspection II.

Zarl
Hi Bostjan,

Bostjan Burger schrieb am 14.07.11 13:37:

> unfortunately it is not a fake. It is allready a big debate about
> that in Slovenia. The Paradox was that the inspection comissar
> after hhundredst of questions announced that was no need for me
> to delete the site but the very next day, that is yesterday I
> received the official thread - it is pamer in my hand with the
> signature of the gov. office.
> I suppose that the goal of the whole procedure is to show Google
> that even such a reputated site as was mine with same methodology
> (is it?) can not opreate in Slovenia. and I am over decade older
> with my site than Google. I have some Interviews tomorrow, and
> maybe the pressure of the public will do something. Maybe it is
> not all so black as I see at the moment.

I don't think this is lawful by European standards. What you describe
might touch your Freedom of speech/expression, and IMHO could be seen as
discrimination or even censorship (they don't want to approve prior to
publication, don't they?). So Freedom of the press is also an issue here.

What's coming next? All artists need to get their work approved by the
government?

The European Ombudsman only "investigates complaints against the
institutions and bodies of the European Union"
(<http://www.ombudsman.europa.eu/atyourservice/couldhehelpyou.faces>)
but there is a national Ombudsman you could contact:
<http://www.ombudsman.europa.eu/atyourservice/nationalombudsmen.faces>
-> Slovenia

Hope this turns out positively for you (and all other photographers in
Slovenia)!
Carl

Re: AW: [PanoToolsNG] Inspection II.

Wim Koornneef
Hello Bostjan,

It seems to me that your situation can goes two ways, it can get worse and authorities can go to your house to take all equipment they can find, and perhaps even lock you up in jail, or things will calm down and the issue will be solved.

Common sense would say that things must calm down but the fact that the authorities started this crazy investigation is showing that they are serious about this so unless there is a huge counterpressure from the media in your country that will force state politicians to listen they (the authorities) will continue.

I think it is good to hope for the best but I also think it is wise to consider an escape route for your equipment, your data and yourself....

All the best,
Wim

Re: Inspection II.

Cuffsmaster
I taking a few pictures considered a terrorist act or some kind or a breach of National security to the point the general public is to be protected from your camera?

On Jul 14, 2011, at 8:40 AM, Carl von Einem wrote:

> Hi Bostjan,
>
> Bostjan Burger schrieb am 14.07.11 13:37:
> >
> > unfortunately it is not a fake. It is allready a big debate about
> > that in Slovenia. The Paradox was that the inspection comissar
> > after hhundredst of questions announced that was no need for me
> > to delete the site but the very next day, that is yesterday I
> > received the official thread - it is pamer in my hand with the
> > signature of the gov. office.
> > I suppose that the goal of the whole procedure is to show Google
> > that even such a reputated site as was mine with same methodology
> > (is it?) can not opreate in Slovenia. and I am over decade older
> > with my site than Google. I have some Interviews tomorrow, and
> > maybe the pressure of the public will do something. Maybe it is
> > not all so black as I see at the moment.
>
> I don't think this is lawful by European standards. What you describe
> might touch your Freedom of speech/expression, and IMHO could be seen as
> discrimination or even censorship (they don't want to approve prior to
> publication, don't they?). So Freedom of the press is also an issue here.
>
> What's coming next? All artists need to get their work approved by the
> government?
>
> The European Ombudsman only "investigates complaints against the
> institutions and bodies of the European Union"
> (<http://www.ombudsman.europa.eu/atyourservice/couldhehelpyou.faces>)
> but there is a national Ombudsman you could contact:
> <http://www.ombudsman.europa.eu/atyourservice/nationalombudsmen.faces>
> -> Slovenia
>
> Hope this turns out positively for you (and all other photographers in
> Slovenia)!
> Carl

Re: AW: [PanoToolsNG] Inspection II.

PanoToolsNG.10.m8

        To start with, I'm not exactly sure what 'specifically' the
authorities are worried/annoyed/apoplectic about with regard to your
'images'. This probably needs to be clarified.

        If you still have some dialog going with the authorities, and are
able to present to them some samples:

        You could try showing them a straight equirectangular image of the
pano to determine if that 'image' is a problem, or has a problem in
the image.

        If that is ok, then try showing them the comparison between the image
and with the pano viewer. This 'may' help them understand how it works
and what is happening.

         This, of couse, is dependant on whether they will listen to you, or
will look at this rationally.

        Good luck. I don't envy your position, though I do understand how you
can be in this situation, especially with the political history there
and the inertia behind some of the old school methods of governing.

        cheers,

        Darren.

        ----- Original Message -----Sent:Thu, 14 Jul 2011 05:24:59 -0700
(PDT)

 I have explained that 360° panorama is a 2D photo and that the
transformation to VR panorama doesn't make it 3D. Now they sticked to
the fact that I have published photos of people on my VR panoramas. It
seems that in my support has started the action of Slovenian
photographers who deliberately make photos of people on the streets
and publish them on their blogs... like
example: http://alanob.blogspot.com/ [1].

 Bostjan

 ________________________________
 Bostan don´t forget a Panorama is a normal flat photo like any other
! the only difference is that is has a FOV of 360º! so they should
chase ANY photo in the same way...and not concentrate on yours.

 Willy

Links:
------
[1] http://alanob.blogspot.com/

Re: Inspection II.

Andrew
Hi Bostjan,

I would be happy to help out also displaying your images online. Don't like see anyone getting bossed around like this. I get pissed just going through US & Canada customs checks and searches so having your ordeal would have driven me to insanity :-)

As Trausti mentioned (which is an excellent idea) just get one set of DVD's off in the mail to someone you trust with the raw images and large equrectangular tifs.

Also perhaps make a folder available online to members of this group so they can download the cube images in jpg format which is obviously smaller file size and they can be stored in numerous countries until you have these idiots off your back. All that time you spent taking the photographs and sitting in from of the computer putting them all together doesn't deserve to be destroyed so let us help out.

Andrew

Re: Inspection II.

Christian Bloch-2

> All that time you spent taking the photographs and sitting in from of the computer putting them all together doesn't deserve to be destroyed so let us help out.

Seriously.

What bothers me most about this is: Here you have a person who is dedicated and active and spends a lot of time doing what he loves. Somebody with creative passion and a drive to do something awesome. There you have bureaucrats doing absolutely nothing. And then, all the sudden, they realize that they need something to do, so the first idea is to run around and telling other people to ... do nothing.

I mean - how many people have come visit your country because they saw your panoramas? Compared to how many tourists has the Information Commissioner of Slovenia lured into the country?

Frankly, I'm tempted to put a redirect on my own website for every visitor from Slovenia, to a page that simply states: "This website contains photographs showing people, which is content that is currently censored in your country. We regret the inconvenience, but to avoid legal actions from your government we can't display this page. Please address your complaints to the Information Commissioner <email link>."

Blochi