It was nice but now it's gone...

Yahoo groups shutting down december 15. An era comes to it's end:
https://uk.help.yahoo.com/kb/groups/SLN35505.html

PanotoolsNG wasn't very active lately, but still it's a pity it has to
end now.

How shall we go on? The most lively group about panoramic imaging on the
web is certainly
https://www.facebook.com/groups/panoramicphotographers/ and I invite
anyone to join there (if not already a member). If you do so, please
make sure that you answer the questions so that it is easier to identify
serious requests.

However, I understand if someone doesn't want to use facebook. For those
there is still the Nabble group, which is a mirror of the PTNG mailing
list. Hopefully it will stay: http://panotoolsng.586017.n4.nabble.com/

A complete archive can be found on
https://www.panotools.org/mailarchive

I wonder if it is worthwhile to move the mailing list to another server.
If there is a reasonable number of interested users, I will look for an
alternative.

best regards
PanotoolsNG Admin

Re: It was nice but now it's gone...

Mario Rodrigues Rodrigues
Erik:
Thank you for your work.
I realy am not using PanoTools for a long time.
I will follow the Facebook group.
Again, thank you for your work for all of these years.

Mario Augusto Rodrigues

Em sex., 16 de out. de 2020 às 09:08, Erik Krause [hidden email]
[PanoToolsNG] <[hidden email]> escreveu:

> Yahoo groups shutting down december 15. An era comes to it's end:
> https://uk.help.yahoo.com/kb/groups/SLN35505.html
>
> PanotoolsNG wasn't very active lately, but still it's a pity it has to
> end now.
>
> How shall we go on? The most lively group about panoramic imaging on the
> web is certainly
> https://www.facebook.com/groups/panoramicphotographers/ and I invite
> anyone to join there (if not already a member). If you do so, please
> make sure that you answer the questions so that it is easier to identify
> serious requests.
>
> However, I understand if someone doesn't want to use facebook. For those
> there is still the Nabble group, which is a mirror of the PTNG mailing
> list. Hopefully it will stay: http://panotoolsng.586017.n4.nabble.com/
>
> A complete archive can be found on
> https://www.panotools.org/mailarchive
>
> I wonder if it is worthwhile to move the mailing list to another server.
> If there is a reasonable number of interested users, I will look for an
> alternative.
>
> best regards
> --
> Erik Krause
> PanotoolsNG Admin

> Yahoo Groups Links

Re: It was nice but now it's gone...

Alan Ritter
Check into groups.io

Several other groups in which I participated have moved there.  It seems
to work well and has both free and paid options depending on exactly which
features the group wants.  (Free would most likely work fine for
PanoTools).

/s/jar (Alan Ritter, [hidden email] http://www.mtritter.org)

Am 16.10.20 um 15:53 schrieb Alan Ritter:

> Check into groups.io
> Several other groups in which I participated have moved there.

Yes, I know. But first I need to evaluate whether there is a need. If
there is as little traffic as in the past two years (15 discussion
threads, including this one since January 2019), it is not worth it.

Re: It was nice but now it's gone...

Mark D. Fink
That's a tough decision to make. I remember how full of emotion and activity we all were when the previous PanoTools list was shut down and PanoTools NG came into being. But that was 14(?) years ago, and maybe now, the list has served its purpose and the FB group is more relevant?

It's easy for me to get caught up in the emotional side of it, having been around this group from the beginning and being captivated by VR photography since 1999. Still, we have to be reasonable regarding the time and effort needed to move then maintain this list. I think I am leaning more towards letting it go, (keeping Nabble as an archive), and moving on to FB.

However, before we go, I suggest one final big THANK YOU to Prof. Helmut Dersch, (https://webuser.hs-furtwangen.de/~dersch/), for making all of this possible. You inspired us and gave us the tools to share our world.

Mark

Am 16.10.20 um 15:53 schrieb Alan Ritter:

> Check into groups.io
> Several other groups in which I participated have moved there.

Yes, I know. But first I need to evaluate whether there is a need. If there is as little traffic as in the past two years (15 discussion threads, including this one since January 2019), it is not worth it.

Re: It was nice but now it's gone...

Lynn Boyd
 Thanks, Alan and Eric.LB

[PanoToolsNG] wrote:

> Yahoo groups shutting down december 15. An era comes to it's end:
> https://uk.help.yahoo.com/kb/groups/SLN35505.html
>

> PanotoolsNG wasn't very active lately, but still it's a pity it has to
> end now.
>
> How shall we go on? The most lively group about panoramic imaging on the
> web is certainly https://www.facebook.com/groups/panoramicphotographers/
> and I invite anyone to join there (if not already a member). If you do so,
> please make sure that you answer the questions so that it is easier to
> identify serious requests.
>
> However, I understand if someone doesn't want to use facebook. For those
> there is still the Nabble group, which is a mirror of the PTNG mailing
> list. Hopefully it will stay: http://panotoolsng.586017.n4.nabble.com/
>
> A complete archive can be found on
> https://www.panotools.org/mailarchive
>

> I wonder if it is worthwhile to move the mailing list to another server.
> If there is a reasonable number of interested users, I will look for an
> alternative.
>
> best regards --
> Erik Krause
> PanotoolsNG Admin

> Yahoo Groups Links

Re: It was nice but now it's gone...

Sacha Griffin
The Facebook group already has most of everyone. It's been a long time
since I checked online forums.
They are ok when you are learning but tend to be major time sinks.

On Fri, Oct 16, 2020 at 8:08 AM Erik Krause [hidden email]

--
Best Regards,

Sacha Griffin
Southern Digital Solutions LLC
https://www.seeit360.com
http://www.southern-digital.com
404-551-4275

Sacha Griffin

http://www.seeit360.com

http://twitter.com/SeeIt360

http://www.facebook.com/SeeIt360

IM: [hidden email]

Office: 404-551-4275

Re: It was nice but now it's gone...

Aldo Hoeben

> The Facebook group already has most of everyone. It's been a long time
> since I checked online forums.
> They are ok when you are learning but tend to be major time sinks.
The latter ofcourse in sharp contrast to Facebook.

Re: It was nice but now it's gone...

giant_klobasa_monster
It was great. Let's keep it alive somewhere else.

I heard www.groups.io is good.

Jeffrey Martin

On Fri, Oct 16, 2020, 17:40 Aldo Hoeben [hidden email] [PanoToolsNG] <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> > The Facebook group already has most of everyone. It's been a long time
> > since I checked online forums.
> > They are ok when you are learning but tend to be major time sinks.
> The latter ofcourse in sharp contrast to Facebook.

Re: It was nice but now it's gone...

David-6
My other yahoo groups have all moved to groups.io and it seems fine.

David B

    On Friday, October 16, 2020, 8:50:05 AM PDT, Jeffrey Martin [hidden email] [PanoToolsNG] <[hidden email]> wrote:

It was great. Let's keep it alive somewhere else.
I heard www.groups.io is good.

Jeffrey Martin
On Fri, Oct 16, 2020, 17:40 Aldo Hoeben [hidden email] [PanoToolsNG] <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The Facebook group already has most of everyone. It's been a long time
> since I checked online forums.
> They are ok when you are learning but tend to be major time sinks.
The latter ofcourse in sharp contrast to Facebook.

Re: It was nice but now it's gone...

Helmut Schierer
Hi Erik,
haven't participated actively for quite some time due to other obligations. But always loved to see, that the community still exists. Won't join facebook, but if there will be, lets say a group at groups.io, that sounds fine.
Cheers,
Helmut Schierer

Nachricht von Android-Mobiltelefon gesendet.

Re: It was nice but now it's gone...

Jeff
Hi Erik, I too am sorry, but I do not like to use Facebook.

Jeff

Jeff Starley Photography

Mobile: 07941 770901

Email:  [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
Web:    http://www.jeffstarley.com <http://www.jeffstarley.com/>
DISCLAIMER: This email and the information it contains are private and
confidential and are intended for the addressee only.  The unauthorised use,
disclosure, copying or distribution of this email or any of the information
it contains is prohibited and may be unlawful.  If you are not the intended
recipient please notify the sender immediately.

Am 16.10.2020 um 21:14 schrieb Helmut Schierer:

> but if there will be, lets say a group at groups.io, that sounds fine.

Most likely this will be the case. I'm going to set it up on Sunday
since tomorrow I'm very busy, then send out invites. The PTNG member
list is already saved...

Am 16.10.2020 um 21:56 schrieb j:

> I do not like to use Facebook.

Would you join a google group (which is a mailing list as well)?

Am 16.10.2020 um 20:26 schrieb David Burton:

> My other yahoo groups have all moved to groups.io and it seems fine.

Do you know whether it has any advantages over google groups?

Re: It was nice but now it's gone...

David-6
They're the same but different.  Not sure I have any preference.  I may not be a highly proficient user of either.

David B

    On Friday, October 16, 2020, 2:56:16 PM PDT, Erik Krause [hidden email] [PanoToolsNG] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Am 16.10.2020 um 20:26 schrieb David Burton:

> My other yahoo groups have all moved to groups.io and it seems fine.

Do you know whether it has any advantages over google groups?

Re: It was nice but now it's gone...

Roberto Gomez Torres
The Google Group working as a mailing list sound good to me !

Thank you for keeping this wonderful group so close.

Roberto Gómez Torres.
México City, México.

Would you join a google group (which is a mailing list as well)?

Re: It was nice but now it's gone...

Jeff
That is preferable to FB.

Thank you for all the time and effort you put in Erik.

Jeff

Jeff Starley Photography

Mobile: 07941 770901

Email:  [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
Web:    http://www.jeffstarley.com <http://www.jeffstarley.com/>
DISCLAIMER: This email and the information it contains are private and
confidential and are intended for the addressee only.  The unauthorised use,
disclosure, copying or distribution of this email or any of the information
it contains is prohibited and may be unlawful.  If you are not the intended
recipient please notify the sender immediately.

> On 16 Oct 2020, at 22:30, Erik Krause [hidden email] [PanoToolsNG] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Am 16.10.2020 um 21:56 schrieb j:
>
>> I do not like to use Facebook.
>
> Would you join a google group (which is a mailing list as well)?
>
> --
> Erik Krause
> http://www.erik-krause.de

> Yahoo Groups Links

Re: It was nice but now it's gone...

Clement Shimizu
This was a really great group who’s time has come due to the March of civilization and the inexorable advancement of technology!  I do think there is still relevance to discussion groups like this because even though this type of tech has been packaged up neatly so it can be employed at the push of a button, there are the people who develop the technology solutions need kinfolk to collaborate and communicate with.

In either case... Thank you, you have earned a ticket on the Number Nine Train.

Dr. Clement Shimizu
Www.Elumenati.com

> On Oct 16, 2020, at 10:18 AM, markdfink northernlight.net [hidden email] [PanoToolsNG] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> That's a tough decision to make. I remember how full of emotion and activity we all were when the previous PanoTools list was shut down and PanoTools NG came into being. But that was 14(?) years ago, and maybe now, the list has served its purpose and the FB group is more relevant?
>
> It's easy for me to get caught up in the emotional side of it, having been around this group from the beginning and being captivated by VR photography since 1999. Still, we have to be reasonable regarding the time and effort needed to move then maintain this list. I think I am leaning more towards letting it go, (keeping Nabble as an archive), and moving on to FB.
>
> However, before we go, I suggest one final big THANK YOU to Prof. Helmut Dersch, (https://webuser.hs-furtwangen.de/~dersch/), for making all of this possible. You inspired us and gave us the tools to share our world.
>
> Mark

primo delacruz
Thank you, Eric....got so much to be thankful to you...Thanks again, Eric//primo

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone