Kings Peak Summit Panorama

PanoTools NG mailing list
Earlier in August, some friends and I climbed Kings Peak, 13,528', the
tallest peak in the state of Utah.  It was my
45th of the 50 U.S. state highpoints.  The summit pan is at:

http://www.mtritter.org/highpoints/Utah_2014/Pans/Kings_Peak.htm (Java
version)

http://www.mtritter.org/highpoints/Utah_2014/Pans/Kings_Peak.htm
(Quicktime version)

The pan was shot with my Nikon D200 and 10.5mm Nikkor full-frame
fisheye, mounted on a home-brew bracket that attaches to the top of my
trekking pole as a monopod.  The pan was generated using PTGui and
edited to touch up some stitching issues using GIMP.  The Java version
was generated directly by PTGui and allows full-frame viewing.

--
/s/jar (Alan Ritter, [hidden email])
         http://www.mtritter.org

Re: Kings Peak Summit Panorama

PanoTools NG mailing list
Gosh that would have been quite a climb. Well done for doing the panorama
though you do still have some issues to overcome. One hilltop is clearly
wrong (unless it is a cloud I can't identify) Also, the whole horizon is
slightly out of level- going right round the pan it goes up and down more
than it should. If it's any help it took me a long time to get the same
thing right!! The latest edition of PTGui helps a lot here.

On Sat, Aug 30, 2014 at 3:31 PM, Alan Ritter [hidden email] [PanoToolsNG]
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Earlier in August, some friends and I climbed Kings Peak, 13,528', the
> tallest peak in the state of Utah. It was my
> 45th of the 50 U.S. state highpoints. The summit pan is at:
>
> http://www.mtritter.org/highpoints/Utah_2014/Pans/Kings_Peak.htm (Java
> version)
>
> http://www.mtritter.org/highpoints/Utah_2014/Pans/Kings_Peak.htm
> (Quicktime version)
>
> The pan was shot with my Nikon D200 and 10.5mm Nikkor full-frame
> fisheye, mounted on a home-brew bracket that attaches to the top of my
> trekking pole as a monopod. The pan was generated using PTGui and
> edited to touch up some stitching issues using GIMP. The Java version
> was generated directly by PTGui and allows full-frame viewing.
>
> --
> /s/jar (Alan Ritter, [hidden email])
> http://www.mtritter.org

Re: Kings Peak Summit Panorama

I didn't know that there's full frame Nikkor 10.5mmm. Is there?
Nice pano BTW. I wish I could climb that high.

A Kielcz
Cincinnati, Ohio, U.S.A.

________________________________

Earlier in August, some friends and I climbed Kings Peak, 13,528', the
tallest peak in the state of Utah. It was my
45th of the 50 U.S. state highpoints. The summit pan is at:

http://www.mtritter.org/highpoints/Utah_2014/Pans/Kings_Peak.htm (Java
version)

http://www.mtritter.org/highpoints/Utah_2014/Pans/Kings_Peak.htm
(Quicktime version)

The pan was shot with my Nikon D200 and 10.5mm Nikkor full-frame
fisheye, mounted on a home-brew bracket that attaches to the top of my
trekking pole as a monopod. The pan was generated using PTGui and
edited to touch up some stitching issues using GIMP. The Java version
was generated directly by PTGui and allows full-frame viewing.

--
/s/jar (Alan Ritter, [hidden email])
http://www.mtritter.org

__._,_.___

Posted by: Alan Ritter <[hidden email]>

.

__,_._,___

__,_._,___

Re: Kings Peak Summit Panorama

On 30 Aug 2014, at 17:50, Alan Ritter [hidden email] [PanoToolsNG]
wrote:

> Full-frame as opposed to circular...D200 is a DX-sensor, so the 10.5
> fills it at 180 corner-to-corner.  Sorry if I confused anyone.

I think it's a weakness in our terminology! :)

In terms of the horizon, if you spin the pano around purely horizontally
you'll get a send of the levelling problem: the distant peak a little to
the left of the sun seems to be a little too low, and the area behind
the guy in the baseball cap and shorts is a little too high.
Then go back to PTGui and look at the equirect preview in the Panorama
Editor window. You may be able to fix this by simply dragging (and
perhaps control-dragging) in that window, although this may give you
other things to fix. :)

BTW, if you can bear it and have original RAW files, go back and process
them again to fix chromatic aberration. It's subtle (particularly as
you're not using this lens shaved on a full-frame sensor) but I do see
some signs of red/green fringes.

RE: Kings Peak Summit Panorama

Since I have a FX SLR, I decided to look into the Fisheye. Here is a very good article by Ken Rockwell

About DX and FX fisheye lenses:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/1628af.htm

As it turns out, for the FX cameras the 16mm is better and for the DX the 10.5 is better.

Hope this helps.

Gary

On Aug 30, 2014, at 1:08 PM, Alan Ritter [hidden email] [PanoToolsNG] <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Most of the climb is a trail hike up from the Henrys Fork trailhead at about 9,500' to where we camped at about 11,000'.  Once you're over Gunsight Pass, there is a steep bit over an intervening ridge and then a stroll across a plateau near Anderson Pass at about 12,000'.  Then the last 1,500' from 12k to 13.5k is an unrelenting boulder-hop up a 45-degree slope.  Not technically challenging (for a climber) but a real pain to scramble up.

I thought maybe there was a parking lot just out of sight or something, when I saw the guy in sneakers with no socks. If he hiked up 4000’ of elevation that way, I will have to be impressed.

John C. Riley

Office: (864) 503-5775
Cell: (864) 431-7075
Home (864) 461-3504

email

Re: Kings Peak Summit Panorama

Alan, If you confine your control points on the horizontal row of images to features in the far distance where parallax is nil, you will get perfect stitching at the horizon.  You may then have to accept minor parallax problems to deal with in the near features, but these can be dealt with using masks and/or automatically with Smartblend.

 John

Am 30.08.2014 05:31, schrieb Alan Ritter:
> Earlier in August, some friends and I climbed Kings Peak, 13,528', the
> tallest peak in the state of Utah.  It was my
> 45th of the 50 U.S. state highpoints.  The summit pan is at:

Impressive! It's a bit unusual far a European to see a summit of a more
than 4000m high peak which is not snow covered.

An additional small glitch is a visible seam in the sky left of the sun.
But apart from that: Well done!

> http://www.mtritter.org/highpoints/Utah_2014/Pans/Kings_Peak.htm (Java
> version)
>
> http://www.mtritter.org/highpoints/Utah_2014/Pans/Kings_Peak.htm
> (Quicktime version)

Fortunately, there is neither a Java nor a Quicktime version. ;-)
Both URLs point to the same PTGui generated output which is HTML5 with
Flash fallback for older browsers...

RE: Kings Peak Summit Panorama

I was wondering how many images you captured for this. Really amazing.

When using the fisheye, do you need to do rows of images or is the fisheye

Enough for VR?

Gary

Gary wrote:
 I was wondering how many images you captured for this. Really amazing.
 When using the fisheye, do you need to do rows of images or is the fisheye
 Enough for VR?

With a 10.5mm on a Nikon D200 all you need is 1 row of 6 shots all around and possibly one shot for the nadir, and one for the zenith.

With the same lens (shaved) on a D800 I need only 4 shots all around, plus one for the nadir (not always).

       Uri Cogan
http://www.uricogan.com http://www.uricogan.com

Birds born in cages think that flying is an infirmity.

   -- Alessandro Jodorowski

Re: Kings Peak Summit Panorama

I just have to ask: is the guy closest to the camera with the dark blue shirt and black cap really on his cell phone? Was there even signal there?
Nice climb and shot!

Re: Kings Peak Summit Panorama

I typically overshoot by a bit...8 around (portrait orientation) at estimated 45 degree increments plus hand-held zenith and nadir shots.  When I'm using just my hiking staff as a monopod, I prefer to be generous with overlap.  Plus, I find it easier to estimate 45 degree increments than 60 degree increments.  With the D200, the 10.5 fills the DX sensor so the input images are full rectangles.  Lens field of view is just under 90 degrees horizontal, so my estimated 45-degree increments can be off by quite a bit and not matter.

Set to manual focus, manual white balance, manual exposure so everything stays consistent.

On this one, I just let PTGui select the control points and process through to a set of layers that I assemble in GIMP.  Use the GIMP "alpha channel to mask" function and then tweak the masks on each layer to fix any stitching glitches, partial people, etc.  A typical "fix" was for the flag that is on a short staff down low in the boulders.  I had to make sure that all of the masks but the nadir were clear at that point so I didn't end up with a fractured flag due to its moving with the breeze between different frames that included part or all of it.  I generally put the zenith and nadir shots at the bottom of the layer stack and don't worry about their masks since there isn't any overlap between them.  The rest just get stacked with the first shot I took at the top of the stack and then working down in order from there.  After cleaning up the masks and doing any final retouching (I need to clean the sensor...one dust spot up in the clouds) I export the layered GIMP file back out to a .jpg file and let PTGui generate its Java-viewer web page and Quicktime VR .mov files.  The intermediate GIMP .xcf layered file ends up almost 350 meg, so it helps to have a fast computer with lots of memory.  (Intel i7 CPU, 16 gig of RAM)
On 9/1/2014 12:18 PM, 'Gary Little' [hidden email] [PanoToolsNG] wrote:

I was wondering how many images you captured for this. Really amazing.

When using the fisheye, do you need to do rows of images or is the fisheye

Enough for VR?

Gary

Re: Kings Peak Summit Panorama

this jodrowski guy didn;t have everybody "home"?

A Kielcz
Cincinnati, Ohio, U.S.A.