Quantcast

Large PSB Conversion to Cube Faces for KR Pano

Large PSB Conversion to Cube Faces for KR Pano

HenryStuart
I have seen this topic has come up a few times in the past but I have not been able to find an answer that solves it... Basically can you do to convert a 17GB or bigger Equirectangular PSB to cube faces for a program like KRPanos 'make multi resolution' to use to create a final pano.

Basically when I try to convert this PSB to tiff cube faces (Using KRPano's tools) they are too big - they hit the 4GB mark and are unreadable. If I try to convert to JPEG cube faces it just crashes on the second tile.

Cubic Converter does not seem to accept PSBs, so that is out the window...

I am using a 27" iMac with quad cores, 16GB Ram and an external raid system. So power should not be the problem - more the software.

Any ideas?!

Here's the thread on KR Pano's forum: http://krpano.com/forum/wbb/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=4786

Many thanks,

Henry Stuart
http://www.sphericalimages.com

Re: Large PSB Conversion to Cube Faces for KR Pano

Christian Bloch-2
I'd say your best bet is to break out the Equirect directly from Photoshop, with the Export-->Zoomify plugin. krpano will accept the Zoomify tiles, you'll just have to set it to cylindrical or partial sphere with the right FOV yourself.

.Blochi

On Apr 5, 2011, at 12:45 AM, HenryStuart wrote:

> I have seen this topic has come up a few times in the past but I have not
> been able to find an answer that solves it... Basically can you do to
> convert a 17GB or bigger Equirectangular PSB to cube faces for a program
> like KRPanos 'make multi resolution' to use to create a final pano.
>
> Basically when I try to convert this PSB to tiff cube faces (Using KRPano's
> tools) they are too big - they hit the 4GB mark and are unreadable. If I try
> to convert to JPEG cube faces it just crashes on the second tile.
>
> Cubic Converter does not seem to accept PSBs, so that is out the window...
>
> I am using a 27" iMac with quad cores, 16GB Ram and an external raid system.
> So power should not be the problem - more the software.
>
> Any ideas?!
>
> Here's the thread on KR Pano's forum:
> http://krpano.com/forum/wbb/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=4786
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Henry Stuart
> http://www.sphericalimages.com

Re: Large PSB Conversion to Cube Faces for KR Pano

HenryStuart
Thank you Christian, however that will not show the image as a 360x180 will it?

I really don't want it to have the distortion of a flat panorama...

--- In [hidden email], Christian Bloch <Blochi@...> wrote:

> I'd say your best bet is to break out the Equirect directly from Photoshop, with the Export-->Zoomify plugin. krpano will accept the Zoomify tiles, you'll just have to set it to cylindrical or partial sphere with the right FOV yourself.
>
> .Blochi
>
> On Apr 5, 2011, at 12:45 AM, HenryStuart wrote:
>
> > I have seen this topic has come up a few times in the past but I have not
> > been able to find an answer that solves it... Basically can you do to
> > convert a 17GB or bigger Equirectangular PSB to cube faces for a program
> > like KRPanos 'make multi resolution' to use to create a final pano.
> >
> > Basically when I try to convert this PSB to tiff cube faces (Using KRPano's
> > tools) they are too big - they hit the 4GB mark and are unreadable. If I try
> > to convert to JPEG cube faces it just crashes on the second tile.
> >
> > Cubic Converter does not seem to accept PSBs, so that is out the window...
> >
> > I am using a 27" iMac with quad cores, 16GB Ram and an external raid system.
> > So power should not be the problem - more the software.
> >
> > Any ideas?!
> >
> > Here's the thread on KR Pano's forum:
> > http://krpano.com/forum/wbb/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=4786
> >
> > Many thanks,
> >
> > Henry Stuart
> > http://www.sphericalimages.com

Re: Large PSB Conversion to Cube Faces for KR Pano

Christian Bloch-2
Well, yes, it's up to your krpano file how that is shown. If you set it to spherical, it will be shown as spherical. Krpano doesn't require multires to be in cubic. Did all these like this: http://www.hdrlabs.com/gallery/gigapanos.html

.Blochi

On Apr 5, 2011, at 9:29 AM, Henry Stuart wrote:

> Thank you Christian, however that will not show the image as a 360x180 will it?
>
> I really don't want it to have the distortion of a flat panorama...
>
> --- In [hidden email], Christian Bloch <Blochi@...> wrote:
> >
> > I'd say your best bet is to break out the Equirect directly from Photoshop, with the Export-->Zoomify plugin. krpano will accept the Zoomify tiles, you'll just have to set it to cylindrical or partial sphere with the right FOV yourself.
> >
> > .Blochi
> >
> > On Apr 5, 2011, at 12:45 AM, HenryStuart wrote:
> >
> > > I have seen this topic has come up a few times in the past but I have not
> > > been able to find an answer that solves it... Basically can you do to
> > > convert a 17GB or bigger Equirectangular PSB to cube faces for a program
> > > like KRPanos 'make multi resolution' to use to create a final pano.
> > >
> > > Basically when I try to convert this PSB to tiff cube faces (Using KRPano's
> > > tools) they are too big - they hit the 4GB mark and are unreadable. If I try
> > > to convert to JPEG cube faces it just crashes on the second tile.
> > >
> > > Cubic Converter does not seem to accept PSBs, so that is out the window...
> > >
> > > I am using a 27" iMac with quad cores, 16GB Ram and an external raid system.
> > > So power should not be the problem - more the software.
> > >
> > > Any ideas?!
> > >
> > > Here's the thread on KR Pano's forum:
> > > http://krpano.com/forum/wbb/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=4786
> > >
> > > Many thanks,
> > >
> > > Henry Stuart
> > > http://www.sphericalimages.com

Re: Large PSB Conversion to Cube Faces for KR Pano

HenryStuart
Christian thank you very much, it works well, a good solution.

All the best,

Henry

Re: Large PSB Conversion to Cube Faces for KR Pano

Christian Bloch-2
Cool. By the way, instead of trial-an-error with the FOV values made it a habit to look them up in PTGui, just before rendering the pano, and write them on a notepad. These are good starting points.