Quantcast

Lumix DMC-LX5 OT

A Kielcz
Hi,
I wonder, if there is anybody on this list who uses this camera. I'm thinking of getting it and wanted an input from actual user.
I think I would like it for carry around camera and because it has Leica Summicron lens. I read some reviews, but it's not the same as getting a first hand opinion. Another consideration would be Fuji X100, but its cost is a little to steep.
Thank you!

A Kielcz

Cincinnati, Ohio, U.S.A.

Re: Lumix DMC-LX5 OT

Robert C. Fisher
I bought an LX5 and it's an awesome camera, great color and exposure
plus raw. I bought it over the Canon G11 and G12, much better color
IMHO. Another great feature is the adjustable aspect ratio I maily
shoot 16 x 9 but have switched for pics I wanted more squarish. Can't
say enough good things about this camera.

On May 4, 2011, at 3:45 PM, A Kielcz wrote:

> Hi,
> I wonder, if there is anybody on this list who uses this camera. I'm
> thinking of getting it and wanted an input from actual user.
> I think I would like it for carry around camera and because it has
> Leica Summicron lens. I read some reviews, but it's not the same as
> getting a first hand opinion. Another consideration would be Fuji
> X100, but its cost is a little to steep.
> Thank you!
>
> A Kielcz
>
> Cincinnati, Ohio, U.S.A.

Cheers
Robert C. Fisher
VR Photography / Cinematography
[hidden email]
http://www.rcfisher.com
Facebook - Robert C. Fisher

Re: Lumix DMC-LX5 OT

DemonDuck
I use an LX3 -- almost the same camera.  You can compare the LX3/5 on
dpreview.  Compare it image to image to the Sony Nex 3/5 and pick any Canon APS-C camera
and you will be surprised at how well the LX3/5 looks in comparison.

The only little glitch with the LX3/5 is the default color settings.
But you can get close to Canon color with just a few tweeks of the
color temp and the color bias.

Here's a recent pano --- 3 rows X 8
http://pancyl.com/OwensValley.html

The other problem is that there really is no fisheye solution for the
LX3/5.  The best option is the Panasonic DMW-LW46 wide angle converter
which gives you about an 18mm wide angle.  The camera software is
designed to use that wide angle and the results are sharp corner to corner

Here's a sample pano taken with the Panasonic DMW-LW46 --- 3 rows X 6
http://pancyl.com/BackYardSnow.html

A Kielcz wrote:

> Hi,
> I wonder, if there is anybody on this list who uses this camera. I'm thinking of getting it and wanted an input from actual user.
> I think I would like it for carry around camera and because it has Leica Summicron lens. I read some reviews, but it's not the same as getting a first hand opinion. Another consideration would be Fuji X100, but its cost is a little to steep.
> Thank you!
>
> A Kielcz
>
> Cincinnati, Ohio, U.S.A.

Re: Lumix DMC-LX5 OT

Ron Rack
Ken,
Those are nice panos.

ron rack

On May 4, 2011, at 8:12 PM, Ken Warner wrote:

> I use an LX3 -- almost the same camera. You can compare the LX3/5 on
> dpreview. Compare it image to image to the Sony Nex 3/5 and pick any Canon APS-C camera
> and you will be surprised at how well the LX3/5 looks in comparison.
>
> The only little glitch with the LX3/5 is the default color settings.
> But you can get close to Canon color with just a few tweeks of the
> color temp and the color bias.
>
> Here's a recent pano --- 3 rows X 8
> http://pancyl.com/OwensValley.html
>
> The other problem is that there really is no fisheye solution for the
> LX3/5. The best option is the Panasonic DMW-LW46 wide angle converter
> which gives you about an 18mm wide angle. The camera software is
> designed to use that wide angle and the results are sharp corner to corner
>
> Here's a sample pano taken with the Panasonic DMW-LW46 --- 3 rows X 6
> http://pancyl.com/BackYardSnow.html
>
> A Kielcz wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I wonder, if there is anybody on this list who uses this camera. I'm thinking of getting it and wanted an input from actual user.
> > I think I would like it for carry around camera and because it has Leica Summicron lens. I read some reviews, but it's not the same as getting a first hand opinion. Another consideration would be Fuji X100, but its cost is a little to steep.
> > Thank you!
> >
> > A Kielcz
> >
> > Cincinnati, Ohio, U.S.A.

Re: Lumix DMC-LX5 OT

DemonDuck
I got lucky...

Ron Rack wrote:

> Ken,
> Those are nice panos.
>
> ron rack
>
> On May 4, 2011, at 8:12 PM, Ken Warner wrote:
>
>> I use an LX3 -- almost the same camera. You can compare the LX3/5 on
>> dpreview. Compare it image to image to the Sony Nex 3/5 and pick any Canon APS-C camera
>> and you will be surprised at how well the LX3/5 looks in comparison.
>>
>> The only little glitch with the LX3/5 is the default color settings.
>> But you can get close to Canon color with just a few tweeks of the
>> color temp and the color bias.
>>
>> Here's a recent pano --- 3 rows X 8
>> http://pancyl.com/OwensValley.html
>>
>> The other problem is that there really is no fisheye solution for the
>> LX3/5. The best option is the Panasonic DMW-LW46 wide angle converter
>> which gives you about an 18mm wide angle. The camera software is
>> designed to use that wide angle and the results are sharp corner to corner
>>
>> Here's a sample pano taken with the Panasonic DMW-LW46 --- 3 rows X 6
>> http://pancyl.com/BackYardSnow.html
>>
>> A Kielcz wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> I wonder, if there is anybody on this list who uses this camera. I'm thinking of getting it and wanted an input from actual user.
>>> I think I would like it for carry around camera and because it has Leica Summicron lens. I read some reviews, but it's not the same as getting a first hand opinion. Another consideration would be Fuji X100, but its cost is a little to steep.
>>> Thank you!
>>>
>>> A Kielcz
>>>
>>> Cincinnati, Ohio, U.S.A.

Re: Lumix DMC-LX5 OT

Roger D Williams
On Thu, 05 May 2011 07:45:38 +0900, A Kielcz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
> I wonder, if there is anybody on this list who uses this camera. I'm
> thinking of getting it and wanted an input from actual user.
> I think I would like it for carry around camera and because it has Leica
> Summicron lens. I read some reviews, but it's not the same as getting a
> first hand opinion. Another consideration would be Fuji X100, but its
> cost is a little to steep.
> Thank you!

This isn't an answer to your question, I'm afraid, but a response to
the question it poses in my mind. They are two such completely different
cameras that it is hard to think why you would be considering them as
alternatives. Like you, I find the Fuji X100 very attractive but the
price a little too steep. It is a very innovative camera, with the
form factor, looks and handling of a rangefinder but with the latest
electronic enhancements cleverly crafted into a combination with an
optical finder. Very nice! So I'm with you there. But I would not even
LOOK at a Lumix LX5. Summicron lens, yes! But the Fuji lens on the X100
is no slouch according to the Japanese camera mags.

Roger

Work: www.adex-japan.com

Re: Lumix DMC-LX5 OT

Roger D Williams
On Thu, 05 May 2011 12:06:22 +0900, Roger D. Williams
<[hidden email]> wrote:

Sorry, I was unthinkingly harsh in my comment on the LX5. I take that
back. It is a fine camera, just not my taste. I expect to be duly
reprimanded by those who use and like it.

Roger W.

Work: www.adex-japan.com

Re: Lumix DMC-LX5 OT

DemonDuck
There is no right or wrong camera -- just the camera you have.

Roger D. Williams wrote:

> On Thu, 05 May 2011 12:06:22 +0900, Roger D. Williams
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Sorry, I was unthinkingly harsh in my comment on the LX5. I take that
> back. It is a fine camera, just not my taste. I expect to be duly
> reprimanded by those who use and like it.
>
> Roger W.
>
>> On Thu, 05 May 2011 07:45:38 +0900, A Kielcz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>> I wonder, if there is anybody on this list who uses this camera. I'm
>>> thinking of getting it and wanted an input from actual user.
>>> I think I would like it for carry around camera and because it has Leica
>>> Summicron lens. I read some reviews, but it's not the same as getting a
>>> first hand opinion. Another consideration would be Fuji X100, but its
>>> cost is a little to steep.
>>> Thank you!
>> This isn't an answer to your question, I'm afraid, but a response to
>> the question it poses in my mind. They are two such completely different
>> cameras that it is hard to think why you would be considering them as
>> alternatives. Like you, I find the Fuji X100 very attractive but the
>> price a little too steep. It is a very innovative camera, with the
>> form factor, looks and handling of a rangefinder but with the latest
>> electronic enhancements cleverly crafted into a combination with an
>> optical finder. Very nice! So I'm with you there. But I would not even
>> LOOK at a Lumix LX5. Summicron lens, yes! But the Fuji lens on the X100
>> is no slouch according to the Japanese camera mags.
>>
>> Roger

Re: Lumix DMC-LX5 OT

A Kielcz
I like both panos and especially Owens Valley. It's very sharp and nice color.
Thank you!

A Kielcz

Cincinnati, Ohio, U.S.A.

Re: Lumix DMC-LX5 OT

A Kielcz
Do you also have DMS-LVF1 adapter?

A Kielcz

Cincinnati, Ohio, U.S.A.

Re: Lumix DMC-LX5 OT

DemonDuck
No.  I only use the LX3 for panos and I only use the LCD
for setting up the exposure, focus and color balance.  I
never frame.  If I was street shooting I would consider it....

A Kielcz wrote:

> Do you also have DMS-LVF1 adapter?
>
> A Kielcz
>
> Cincinnati, Ohio, U.S.A.

Re: Lumix DMC-LX5 OT

giant_klobasa_monster

you're right Ken. there's no right or wrong camera, just the camera you have....
...and the camera you don't have but left at home. ;-)

which is why my 5 megapixel nexus-S camera (phone) is one of the best cameras you can own :-)

(and equal in quality to iphone 4 camera -
http://blog.360cities.net/camera-phone-death-match-iphone-4-nexus-s-camera-comparison/
)

--- In [hidden email], Ken Warner <kwarner000@...> wrote:

> There is no right or wrong camera -- just the camera you have.
>
> Roger D. Williams wrote:
> > On Thu, 05 May 2011 12:06:22 +0900, Roger D. Williams
> > <roger@...> wrote:
> >

> > Sorry, I was unthinkingly harsh in my comment on the LX5. I take that
> > back. It is a fine camera, just not my taste. I expect to be duly
> > reprimanded by those who use and like it.
> >
> > Roger W.

> >> This isn't an answer to your question, I'm afraid, but a response to
> >> the question it poses in my mind. They are two such completely different
> >> cameras that it is hard to think why you would be considering them as
> >> alternatives. Like you, I find the Fuji X100 very attractive but the
> >> price a little too steep. It is a very innovative camera, with the
> >> form factor, looks and handling of a rangefinder but with the latest
> >> electronic enhancements cleverly crafted into a combination with an
> >> optical finder. Very nice! So I'm with you there. But I would not even
> >> LOOK at a Lumix LX5. Summicron lens, yes! But the Fuji lens on the X100
> >> is no slouch according to the Japanese camera mags.
> >>
> >> Roger

Re: Lumix DMC-LX5 OT

1drey
I've got LX-3 - same as LX-5 by specs, inner algorithms and 'ideology', with only difference in the zoom range (LX5 has 90mm at the long end vs. 60 of LX3).

Great camera in many situations with plenty of manual control. The only drawback - relatively weak performance when set at high ISO (800+).

Fuji X100 looks hype, but it has a major shortcoming - the fixed lens.

Re: Lumix DMC-LX5 OT

A Kielcz
Amen, to fixed lens.
Maybe X300 will have zoom?