NEX7 question

luca vascon-3
Anybody knows if it is possible to remote the camera? Even simply
triggering the shutter could be enough.
I'm so pissed off with nex5, epl1 and GF2. NO ONE has a wired remote.

--
Luca Vascon.
www.officinepanottiche.com
www.nuovostudio.it

Re: NEX7 question

DemonDuck
I don't think so.  But it does have a hot shoe that you can put something like this in:

http://www.kleptography.com/rf/remote_lx5_640.jpg

I bent a piece of aluminum and bolted it to my pano head and glued a manual cable release to it.  Works ok on my C3.  Looks like crap.

I've asked Richard Franiec to think about making a manual cable release adapter for the NEX cameras.  Maybe if enough people ask for one he will.

http://www.kleptography.com/rf/#camera_lx3

On 7/23/2012 8:53 AM, luca vascon wrote:
> Anybody knows if it is possible to remote the camera? Even simply
> triggering the shutter could be enough.
> I'm so pissed off with nex5, epl1 and GF2. NO ONE has a wired remote.

Re: NEX7 question

Zarl
Ciao Luca,

ask the Panotwins ;-)

Jürgen says "This weekend I built my remote control for my Sony NEX-7.
So I was finally able to do a pole shot with this camera."
<http://www.panotwins.de/spherical-panoramas/construction-site-of-the-european-central-bank/>

And here is Markus' solution for his NEX-5:
<http://www.panotwins.de/?s=arduino>

Carl

Posted by: "luca vascon" on Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:53 am ((PDT))

> Anybody knows if it is possible to remote the camera? Even simply
> triggering the shutter could be enough.
> I'm so pissed off with nex5, epl1 and GF2. NO ONE has a wired remote.

Re: NEX7 question

dorindxn
Just curious, anyone tried to "extend" an IR remote with an optical audio
cable?
might work..

cheers,
Dorin

Monday, July 23, 2012, 7:16:20 PM, you wrote:

> I don't think so.  But it does have a hot shoe that you can put something like this in:

> http://www.kleptography.com/rf/remote_lx5_640.jpg

> I bent a piece of aluminum and bolted it to my pano head and glued
> a manual cable release to it.  Works ok on my C3.  Looks like crap.

> I've asked Richard Franiec to think about making a manual cable
> release adapter for the NEX cameras.  Maybe if enough people ask for one he will.

> http://www.kleptography.com/rf/#camera_lx3

> On 7/23/2012 8:53 AM, luca vascon wrote:
>> Anybody knows if it is possible to remote the camera? Even simply
>> triggering the shutter could be enough.
>> I'm so pissed off with nex5, epl1 and GF2. NO ONE has a wired remote.

--
Best regards,
 Dorin                            mailto:[hidden email]

Re: NEX7 question

DemonDuck
Also, there's this:

http://www.gentles.ltd.uk/gentled/

On 7/23/2012 9:16 AM, Ken Warner wrote:

> I don't think so.  But it does have a hot shoe that you can put something like this in:
>
> http://www.kleptography.com/rf/remote_lx5_640.jpg
>
> I bent a piece of aluminum and bolted it to my pano head and glued a manual cable release to it.  Works ok on my C3.  Looks like crap.
>
> I've asked Richard Franiec to think about making a manual cable release adapter for the NEX cameras.  Maybe if enough people ask for one he will.
>
> http://www.kleptography.com/rf/#camera_lx3
>

> On 7/23/2012 8:53 AM, luca vascon wrote:
>> Anybody knows if it is possible to remote the camera? Even simply
>> triggering the shutter could be enough.
>> I'm so pissed off with nex5, epl1 and GF2. NO ONE has a wired remote.

Re: NEX7 question

John Riley-2
Does the epl1 not have the computer cable socket like the E-P2 does? I have a combo wired/wireless with my E-P2 that plugs into that socket.

John Riley
4Pi-VR Media Solutions
http://4pi-vr.com
[hidden email]
(h)864-461-3504
(c)864-431-7075
(w)864-503-5775

On Jul 23, 2012, at 11:53 AM, luca vascon wrote:

> I'm so pissed off with nex5, epl1 and GF2. NO ONE has a wired remote.
>
> --
> Luca Vascon.
> --
> www.lucavascon.net
> www.officinepanottiche.com
> www.nuovostudio.it

Re: NEX7 question

Am 23.07.2012 17:53, schrieb luca vascon:
> Anybody knows if it is possible to remote the camera? Even simply
> triggering the shutter could be enough.
> I'm so pissed off with nex5, epl1 and GF2. NO ONE has a wired remote.

Shouldn't it be possible to use a glass fiber and a cheap IR remote?

Re: NEX7 question

dorindxn
Well, that is what I've said here
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/PanoToolsNG/message/54911
https://www.google.ro/search?q=optical+audio+cable&hl=ro&safe=off&prmd=imvns&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=WUgOUNG0HtDQsgbn24FA&ved=0CEQQ_AUoAQ&biw=1152&bih=740

Wait! I got it! is a punish because I didn't read the wiki the other
days :)

Jokes aside, can be of interes as the new Canon mirorless has only IR too

cheers,
Dorin

--- In [hidden email], Erik Krause <erik.krause@...> wrote:

> Am 23.07.2012 17:53, schrieb luca vascon:
> > Anybody knows if it is possible to remote the camera? Even simply
> > triggering the shutter could be enough.
> > I'm so pissed off with nex5, epl1 and GF2. NO ONE has a wired remote.
>
> Shouldn't it be possible to use a glass fiber and a cheap IR remote?
>
> --
> Erik Krause
> http://www.erik-krause.de

Re: NEX7 question

dorindxn
One can also attach an IR remote to a radio hotshoe mounted receiver of a radio wireless remote, there will be need to solder, say, a 2.5 mm jack female connector on the IR to connect the radio receiver to IR. That will make it suitable even for pole pano use.

cheers,
Dorin

Re: NEX7 question

jimbo
You'd think these guys would realise that it's 2012 and these new hot shot small cameras have much potential beyond "straight" use... Anyway.. from what I can see so far the new Canon will have the same issue.. So here is a link on a how to a mod for the NEX 7.. http://www.gethypoxic.com/reviews-tests-hacks/hacks-and-mods/92-modifying-a-nex7-with-a-hardwire-shutter-release-jack.html ..From here you can go where you want..  As a note to go further their a seller on eBay in asia that is selling several different types of remotes comperable to Nikon / Canons etc.. Including ones with timers and intervelometers , radio, IF etc.. Very inexpensive and work well .. I have a couple versions.. the high end remote unit is around 35.00 .. ships free from asia.. If needed I'll track down his store.. but a search shoudl get there..
Anyway this camera hack, while spooky to some looks like the way to go.. He's on Face book and does this for folks..  for those that find this too daunting..

jimbo
  One can also attach an IR remote to a radio hotshoe mounted receiver of a radio wireless remote, there will be need to solder, say, a 2.5 mm jack female connector on the IR to connect the radio receiver to IR. That will make it suitable even for pole pano use.

  cheers,
  Dorin

  No virus found in this message.

Re: NEX7 question

Mark D. Fink
Hey Jimbo,

If you have a link to this vendor, it would be great if you could post it.
My guess is that there are a lot of such vendors out there, but finding one
that is reputable and makes quality units is where it gets tricky.

Thanks,

Mark

  _____

Re: NEX7 question

AYRTON - avi
On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 10:45 AM, Mark D. Fink
<[hidden email]>wrote:

> ** **
>
> Hey Jimbo,****
>
> If you have a link to this vendor, it would be great if you could post it.
> My guess is that there are a lot of such vendors out there, but finding one
> that is reputable and makes quality units is where it gets tricky.

Me too :-)
I tried also but no way to find the right one :-)

Thanks
AYRTON

> ** **
>
> Thanks,****
>

> Mark****
>
> ** **
>  ------------------------------

Re: NEX7 question

jot_mateng
2012/7/24 jimbo <[hidden email]>

> **
> Anyway.. from what I can see so far the new Canon will have the same
> issue.. So here is a link on a how to a mod for the NEX 7..
> http://www.gethypoxic.com/reviews-tests-hacks/hacks-and-mods/92-modifying-a-nex7-with-a-hardwire-shutter-release-jack.html ..From
> here you can go where you want..  As a note to go further their a seller on
> eBay in asia that is selling several different types of remotes

When I was searching the net for solutions of triggering a Sony NEX-7 with
a radio, I also stumbled over his article.

And I started to dismantle my NEX-7. But the wires are so tiny that you
really need the right tools. So I put everything back together and modified
the solution of PanoTwin Markus for his Sony NEX-5.

Finally today I wrote an article in our blog which shows my version of an
Arduino controlled trigger for the Sony NEX-7.

Find the article at this link:
http://www.panotwins.de/?p=3437

I didn't followed the IR-approach because you have to set the camera (at
least the Sony NEX series) in a special IR-trigger mode. And in this mode
you can't use bracketing or other trigger modes (self-timer, etc.)

Have fun

PanoTwin Juergen

Re: NEX7 question

panovrx-2

--- In [hidden email], jot.mateng@... wrote:

> 2012/7/24 jimbo <mrjimbo@...>
>
> > **
> > Anyway.. from what I can see so far the new Canon will have the same
> > issue.. So here is a link on a how to a mod for the NEX 7..
> > http://www.gethypoxic.com/reviews-tests-hacks/hacks-and-mods/92-modifying-a-nex7-with-a-hardwire-shutter-release-jack.html ..From
> > here you can go where you want..  As a note to go further their a seller on
> > eBay in asia that is selling several different types of remotes
> >

> When I was searching the net for solutions of triggering a Sony NEX-7 with
> a radio, I also stumbled over his article.
>
> And I started to dismantle my NEX-7. But the wires are so tiny that you
> really need the right tools. So I put everything back together and modified
> the solution of PanoTwin Markus for his Sony NEX-5.
>
> Finally today I wrote an article in our blog which shows my version of an
> Arduino controlled trigger for the Sony NEX-7.
>
> Find the article at this link:
> http://www.panotwins.de/?p=3437
>
> I didn't followed the IR-approach because you have to set the camera (at
> least the Sony NEX series) in a special IR-trigger mode. And in this mode
> you can't use bracketing or other trigger modes (self-timer, etc.)
>
> Have fun
>
> PanoTwin Juergen

You can implement a mechanical push lever system with any wireless radio release and a cheap relay plus battery plus mini-servo. eg. this  kit I put together when I had a Nex 5
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hx1a8E8cmwc

But like the IR release you dont have an instant response. This is what bugs me the most I think about the lack of conventional release sockets. You cant capture critical moments.

PeterM

Re: NEX7 question

John Riley-2
If anyone is wanting to try this route, I have the components for it that I used with my Fuji S2 back in the day. It consists of a small servo and a device from James Gentile that will make the servo "knod" when you complete a circuit (via pushbutton, or in my case when it was completed via a cable to my Merlin pano head). The Gentile device, if left powered, also functions as a timed release with a tiny knob that allows you to adjust the time base from short up to (I think) two minutes. The whole thing is powered by 2XAA cells in a holder.

Anyone interested in it, let me know. I no longer need it with my present gear.

John

John Riley
4Pi-VR Media Solutions
http://4pi-vr.com
[hidden email]
(h)864-461-3504
(c)864-431-7075
(w)864-503-5775

On Jul 24, 2012, at 5:53 PM, panovrx wrote:

> You can implement a mechanical push lever system with any wireless radio release and a cheap relay plus battery plus mini-servo. eg. this kit I put together when I had a Nex 5
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hx1a8E8cmwc
>
> But like the IR release you dont have an instant response. This is what bugs me the most I think about the lack of conventional release sockets. You cant capture critical moments.
>
> PeterM

Re: NEX7 question

giant_klobasa_monster
http://www.kleptography.com/rf/remote_lx5_640.jpg

AWESOME I LOVE IT!! :-)

--- In [hidden email], Ken Warner <kwarner000@...> wrote:

> I don't think so.  But it does have a hot shoe that you can put something like this in:
>
> http://www.kleptography.com/rf/remote_lx5_640.jpg
>
> I bent a piece of aluminum and bolted it to my pano head and glued a manual cable release to it.  Works ok on my C3.  Looks like crap.
>
> I've asked Richard Franiec to think about making a manual cable release adapter for the NEX cameras.  Maybe if enough people ask for one he will.
>
> http://www.kleptography.com/rf/#camera_lx3
>

> On 7/23/2012 8:53 AM, luca vascon wrote:
> > Anybody knows if it is possible to remote the camera? Even simply
> > triggering the shutter could be enough.
> > I'm so pissed off with nex5, epl1 and GF2. NO ONE has a wired remote.

Re: NEX7 question

Bostjan Burger
That reminds me to my oldie F3 hot shoe holder... lol

Bostjan

________________________________
> I don't think so.  But it does have a hot shoe that you can put something like this in:
>
> http://www.kleptography.com/rf/remote_lx5_640.jpg
>
> I bent a piece of aluminum and bolted it to my pano head and glued a manual cable release to it.  Works ok on my C3.  Looks like crap.
>
> I've asked Richard Franiec to think about making a manual cable release adapter for the NEX cameras.  Maybe if enough people ask for one he will.
>
> http://www.kleptography.com/rf/#camera_lx3
>

> On 7/23/2012 8:53 AM, luca vascon wrote:
> > Anybody knows if it is possible to remote the camera? Even simply
> > triggering the shutter could be enough.
> > I'm so pissed off with nex5, epl1 and GF2. NO ONE has a wired remote.

Re: NEX7 question

jimbo
Sorry for the delay in getting back on this.. I had to go on a safari to find them.. Their are a few sellers selling the same units an they are branded differently now..but their the ones that I got.. and they work great.. Gosh are these inexpensive... Ok the wireless remote here's an url to it  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wireless-Remote-Shutter-Release-Fit-For-Nikon-D300s-D700-D300-D200-/310371605455?pt=Camera_Camcorder_Remotes&hash=item484396dbcf   it's 14.03 with free shipping has 4 setable frequencies.. The remote / timer / intervelometer is http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wireless-Remote-Shutter-Release-Fit-For-Nikon-D300s-D700-D300-D200-/310371605455?pt=Camera_Camcorder_Remotes&hash=item484396dbcf  it's 11.36 with free shipping also.. both are in the same store. Browse the store for versions for different cameras like Canon etc.. They come with manuals batteries etc..  My wireless I use mostly for shooting birds.. but it would be perfect for Pano pole use..  I do a set up out side and can fire the camera from in the house. Ok I also got a surprise..while tracking this down I found this intervelometer for the NEX 7 http://www.ebay.com/itm/SONY-NEX-7-wireless-intervalometer-for-time-lapse-photography-/221076236833?pt=Camera_Camcorder_Remotes&hash=item33792baa21   a buy it now is 110.00  so a bit more spendy..

Both the units I have are branded Aputure and say that on them..  but the units in the urls above are the same.. I've had mine for a couple of years and use them all the time they work on a D1X thru the D4 all the Nikons with the proper socket connection..

[...]

Hi to you all!!!
Yes, the only clean way is voiding warranty. Just crack open the camera,
and break it, so it can work.
:-(
Thankyou Sony! Another one, after DAT recorders without digital in or out,
after Mini Discs without digital out, you want to define what is
professional and what is not stripping out BASIC features from 1000 eur
cameras. I really do think I will try to do the job with a non-sony camera.

EPL1 is the only one to have not the triggering thru that USB socket.
:-(

Re: NEX7 question

Thomas-4
Hey Luca, Try a Samsung NX210 -- 22 MPix, wired and wifi remote, and can shoot bracketed raws. I think.  Don't have one yet, but getting closer.

I was able to add wired remote to my NEX-5N -- it is the only NEX model on which this can be done without "brain surgery" -- and am pretty happy with it; but more pixels would be OK.

Best, Tom

--- In [hidden email], luca vascon <luca.vascon@...> wrote:

> Anybody knows if it is possible to remote the camera? Even simply
> triggering the shutter could be enough.
> I'm so pissed off with nex5, epl1 and GF2. NO ONE has a wired remote.
>
> --
> Luca Vascon.
> --
> www.lucavascon.net