NN M1 precision

Robert Lesac
Hi,
let's try a new thread, last one got derailed a bit.
So you people with NN M1, how repeatable do you find the setup?
Good enough for template stitching?
Thanks!

Pano/VR/Gigapixel photography: http://robertlesac.com

Re: NN M1 precision

Hans-74

--- In [hidden email], Robert Lesac <robert@...> wrote:

> Hi,
> let's try a new thread, last one got derailed a bit.
> So you people with NN M1, how repeatable do you find the setup?
> Good enough for template stitching?
> Thanks!

To do template stitching with PTGui you do not need a perfect rotator.
It can easy be done with any of the NodalNinja RD rotatorsor the original old Manfrotto rotator or the 360precision Adjuste or any other panohead with a decent rotator..

Its all about learning how PTGui batchstitching works.

Hans

Re: NN M1 precision

Robert Lesac
On 27.4.2012. 15:40, Hans wrote:

> <mailto:PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com>, Robert Lesac <robert@...> wrote:
>  >
>  > Hi,
>  > let's try a new thread, last one got derailed a bit.
>  > So you people with NN M1, how repeatable do you find the setup?
>  > Good enough for template stitching?
>  > Thanks!
>
> To do template stitching with PTGui you do not need a perfect rotator.
> It can easy be done with any of the NodalNinja RD rotatorsor the
> original old Manfrotto rotator or the 360precision Adjuste or any other
> panohead with a decent rotator..
>
> Its all about learning how PTGui batchstitching works.

I'm aware of it, but I'm interested in the raw precision.

Pano/VR/Gigapixel photography: http://robertlesac.com

Re: NN M1 precision

John Houghton
--- In [hidden email], Robert Lesac <robert@...> wrote:

> So you people with NN M1, how repeatable do you find the setup?
> Good enough for template stitching?

Yesterday, I tried making a template with a panorama shot in the garden (bewteen showers!). I then used the template to stitch a panorama which I shot in my kitchen.  That came out ok, which was encouraging: no visible stitching errors.  Today, I packed the tripod, M1L head and camera in a back pack and shot some panoramas at the river Ouse at Barford, and they, too came out rather well.  This is one (no control points, and straight out of PTGui):

http://www.johnhpanos.com/barf-no-cps.htm

I took a viewpoint nadir shot but that was left out of the stitch shown here.  The camera was Canon 5DII + Canon 8-15mm fisheye at 15mm.  Tripod: Feisol CT3441S.

John

Re: NN M1 precision

A Kielcz
Looks very good, if not excellent to me

A Kielcz
Cincinnati, Ohio, U.S.A.

________________________________
> So you people with NN M1, how repeatable do you find the setup?
> Good enough for template stitching?

Yesterday, I tried making a template with a panorama shot in the garden (bewteen showers!). I then used the template to stitch a panorama which I shot in my kitchen.  That came out ok, which was encouraging: no visible stitching errors.  Today, I packed the tripod, M1L head and camera in a back pack and shot some panoramas at the river Ouse at Barford, and they, too came out rather well.  This is one (no control points, and straight out of PTGui):

http://www.johnhpanos.com/barf-no-cps.htm

I took a viewpoint nadir shot but that was left out of the stitch shown here.  The camera was Canon 5DII + Canon 8-15mm fisheye at 15mm.  Tripod: Feisol CT3441S.

John

Re: NN M1 precision

Roger D Williams
On Tue, 01 May 2012 02:43:23 +0900, John Houghton
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> --- In [hidden email], Robert Lesac <robert@...> wrote:
>>
>> So you people with NN M1, how repeatable do you find the setup?
>> Good enough for template stitching?
>
> Yesterday, I tried making a template with a panorama shot in the garden
> (bewteen showers!). I then used the template to stitch a panorama which
> I shot in my kitchen.  That came out ok, which was encouraging: no
> visible stitching errors.  Today, I packed the tripod, M1L head and
> camera in a back pack and shot some panoramas at the river Ouse at
> Barford, and they, too came out rather well.  This is one (no control
> points, and straight out of PTGui):
>
> http://www.johnhpanos.com/barf-no-cps.htm
>
> I took a viewpoint nadir shot but that was left out of the stitch shown
> here.  The camera was Canon 5DII + Canon 8-15mm fisheye at 15mm.
> Tripod: Feisol CT3441S.

That really is astonishingly good for a pure template-generated panorama
with no control points. I wish there were some way for templates to work
with hand-held monopod sequences. <wry grin>

Roger W.

--
Business: www.adex-japan.com
Pleasure: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
Panorama: Rogerama at photosynth.net

Re: NN M1 precision

pedro_silva58
greetings!

that is indeed "astonishingly good...", but it may also be slightly misleading.
when looking at images such as these, in the context of discussions on equipment, people sometimes forget the most important component of the chain: the human behind it all.  just because the honorable johnh can get these results, does not mean that i, using the same equipment, would get equally good results.  i know you know this, but perhaps a reminder is not out of order...
cheers,
pedro

ps: john, why do you shower before and after making panoramas in the garden?! ;-)

--- In [hidden email], "Roger D. Williams" <roger@...> wrote:

> On Tue, 01 May 2012 02:43:23 +0900, John Houghton
> <j.houghton@...> wrote:
>
> > --- In [hidden email], Robert Lesac <robert@> wrote:
> >>
> >> So you people with NN M1, how repeatable do you find the setup?
> >> Good enough for template stitching?
> >
> > Yesterday, I tried making a template with a panorama shot in the garden
> > (bewteen showers!). I then used the template to stitch a panorama which
> > I shot in my kitchen.  That came out ok, which was encouraging: no
> > visible stitching errors.  Today, I packed the tripod, M1L head and
> > camera in a back pack and shot some panoramas at the river Ouse at
> > Barford, and they, too came out rather well.  This is one (no control
> > points, and straight out of PTGui):
> >
> > http://www.johnhpanos.com/barf-no-cps.htm
> >
> > I took a viewpoint nadir shot but that was left out of the stitch shown
> > here.  The camera was Canon 5DII + Canon 8-15mm fisheye at 15mm.
> > Tripod: Feisol CT3441S.
>
> That really is astonishingly good for a pure template-generated panorama
> with no control points. I wish there were some way for templates to work
> with hand-held monopod sequences. <wry grin>
>
> Roger W.
>
> --
> Business: www.adex-japan.com
> Pleasure: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
> Panorama: Rogerama at photosynth.net

Re: NN M1 precision

Robert Lesac
On 30.4.2012. 19:43, John Houghton wrote:

> --- In [hidden email]
> <mailto:PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com>, Robert Lesac <robert@...> wrote:
>  >
>  > So you people with NN M1, how repeatable do you find the setup?
>  > Good enough for template stitching?
>
> Yesterday, I tried making a template with a panorama shot in the garden
> (bewteen showers!). I then used the template to stitch a panorama which
> I shot in my kitchen. That came out ok, which was encouraging: no
> visible stitching errors. Today, I packed the tripod, M1L head and
> camera in a back pack and shot some panoramas at the river Ouse at
> Barford, and they, too came out rather well. This is one (no control
> points, and straight out of PTGui):
>
> http://www.johnhpanos.com/barf-no-cps.htm
>
> I took a viewpoint nadir shot but that was left out of the stitch shown
> here. The camera was Canon 5DII + Canon 8-15mm fisheye at 15mm. Tripod:
> Feisol CT3441S.

That's a very good stitch if you haven't done any adjustment.
Can you tell me how many photos did you take?

Pano/VR/Gigapixel photography: http://robertlesac.com

Re: NN M1 precision

John Houghton
--- In [hidden email], Robert Lesac <robert@...> wrote:
> That's a very good stitch if you haven't done any adjustment.
> Can you tell me how many photos did you take?

No adjustment.  I took 6 shots around at pitch 0° One zenith at +75° and two nadirs at -90° (one rotated by 180°).  I also took a shifted viewpoint nadir shot, but that needed a few control points to align it with one of the two nadir shots.  The viewpoint patched nadir version is at:

http://www.johnhpanos.com/barf-no-cps-vp.htm

(And before someone says that you can manage without the two nadir shots by tilting the horizonal row down by 10 or 15°, I do know that but prefer to have a smaller zenith hole to fill when there are clouds blowing across above, which are a headache to deal with).

John

Re: NN M1 precision

luca vascon-3
Raw precision is a chimera. When you reach 200pixel/mm on a sensor, every
imperfection will lead to small misalignements.

2012/4/27 Robert Lesac <[hidden email]>

> On 27.4.2012. 15:40, Hans wrote:
> > <mailto:PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com>, Robert Lesac <robert@...> wrote:
> >  >
> >  > Hi,
> >  > let's try a new thread, last one got derailed a bit.
> >  > So you people with NN M1, how repeatable do you find the setup?
> >  > Good enough for template stitching?
> >  > Thanks!
> >
> > To do template stitching with PTGui you do not need a perfect rotator.
> > It can easy be done with any of the NodalNinja RD rotatorsor the
> > original old Manfrotto rotator or the 360precision Adjuste or any other
> > panohead with a decent rotator..
> >
> > Its all about learning how PTGui batchstitching works.
>
> I'm aware of it, but I'm interested in the raw precision.
>

> --
>
> Pano/VR/Gigapixel photography: http://robertlesac.com

Luca Vascon.

www.nuovostudio.it