Quantcast

Need a small field monitor

jrgen_schrader
Hi guys,

I have a working solution for a wireless transfer of the life-view signal from my camera. Unfortunately I yet have no comfortable solution to view it in the field. Can anybody recommend a small and cheap monitor in the 7" range with a composite input? 12 V and deliverend from Europe would be nice. (Yes, I know they're on ebay, but maybe someone can share his own experience with one of these).

Cheers
Jürgen

Re: Need a small field monitor

Henri Smeets
Hi Jürgen,

I have a Phottix Hero lying around that I never use, let me know if that's what you're looking for and bid! PS I have the N8 cable, D300-700 compatible.

http://www.google.nl/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=phottix%20hero&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CDsQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fmartybugs.net%2Fblog%2Fblog.cgi%2Fgear%2FPhottixHeroLiveViewWirelessRemote.html&ei=md7bTrn6Fc6f-wbC3rHhDg&usg=AFQjCNFiJs-6JQmXUsHMXEeKwI-3UEai9g

Re: Need a small field monitor

jrgen_schrader
Thank you, Henri,
but what I have on my mind is more something like this
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&isIU=1&item=250934089493

--- In [hidden email], Henri Smeets <henri@...> wrote:

> Hi Jürgen,
>
> I have a Phottix Hero lying around that I never use, let me know if that's
> what you're looking for and bid! PS I have the N8 cable, D300-700
> compatible.
>
> http://www.google.nl/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=phottix%20hero&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CDsQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fmartybugs.net%2Fblog%2Fblog.cgi%2Fgear%2FPhottixHeroLiveViewWirelessRemote.html&ei=md7bTrn6Fc6f-wbC3rHhDg&usg=AFQjCNFiJs-6JQmXUsHMXEeKwI-3UEai9g

Re: Need a small field monitor

Henri Smeets
No problem, that indeed gives you a better preview actually.

Re: Need a small field monitor

Thomas Krüger
Hallo Jürgen,

I'm waiting for the delivery of my Nook Color. Once rooted to Android I can report.

Thomas

--- In [hidden email], "jrgen_schrader" <panorama@...> wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I have a working solution for a wireless transfer of the life-view signal from my camera. Unfortunately I yet have no comfortable solution to view it in the field. Can anybody recommend a small and cheap monitor in the 7" range with a composite input? 12 V and deliverend from Europe would be nice. (Yes, I know they're on ebay, but maybe someone can share his own experience with one of these).
>
> Cheers
> Jürgen

AW: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Need a small field monitor

ptgroup
Nook color looks nice, but I can´t find the composite input on this device.
Not on any tablets.
There could be a hack for a tablet with fully USB- function (Acer Iconia A100/500) - but theses I
don´t have.
My Galaxy Tab is not fully functional for that - my ipad far away from that.
Since I have access to my Galaxy Tab via WiFi -  could be an option to connect the camera to the Tab
via this technic.
It´s just a FTP-app that makes the Tab a full FTP-Server.

ciao
mike
360° VR Fotografie:
http://www.360de.de <http://www.360de.de/>

NEU: Abstrakte Fotografie unter:
http://www.abstraktfoto.de <http://www.abstraktfoto.de/>
-----------------------------
Aktuelles vom Virtugrafen:
http://virtugraf.wordpress.com <http://virtugraf.wordpress.com/>

  _____

I'm waiting for the delivery of my Nook Color. Once rooted to Android I can report.

Thomas

--- In [hidden email] <mailto:PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com> , "jrgen_schrader"

  _____

I am using the Free version of SPAMfighter <http://www.spamfighter.com/len> .

Do you have a slow PC? <http://www.spamfighter.com/SLOW-PCfighter?cid=sigen>  Try free scan!

You could also build a small server-pc running the PC/MacOSX DSLR-Remote host and use the iOS app to view the liveview feed.

AW: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Need a small field monitor

ptgroup
With the Galaxy I think you don´t need any further hardware.
more useful in the field.
ciao
mike
http://www.virtugraf.de <http://www.virtugraf.de/>
----------------------------
360° VR Fotografie:
http://www.360de.de <http://www.360de.de/>

NEU: Abstrakte Fotografie unter:
http://www.abstraktfoto.de <http://www.abstraktfoto.de/>
-----------------------------
Aktuelles vom Virtugrafen:
http://virtugraf.wordpress.com <http://virtugraf.wordpress.com/>

  _____

Do you have a slow PC? <http://www.spamfighter.com/SLOW-PCfighter?cid=sigen>  Try free scan!

Re: Need a small field monitor

panovrx-2

--- In [hidden email], "jrgen_schrader" <panorama@...> wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I have a working solution for a wireless transfer of the life-view signal from my camera. Unfortunately I yet have no comfortable solution to view it in the field. Can anybody recommend a small and cheap monitor in the 7" range with a composite input? 12 V and deliverend from Europe would be nice. (Yes, I know they're on ebay, but maybe someone can share his own experience with one of these).
>
> Cheers
> Jürgen

What did you have in mind for the "wireless tranfer" part? I saw this
http://store.teradek.com/products/cube_250 which would give you a high quality wifi stream to an ipad etc -- but it is a bit expensive
http://store.teradek.com/products/cube_250

PeterM

Re: Need a small field monitor

DemonDuck
How about this idea?  Get an Eye Fi SD card and use WiFi to transmit directly to an Android tablet that has WiFi built into it?

http://www.eye.fi/
https://www.google.com/#hl=en&cp=9&gs_id=1i&xhr=t&q=android+tablet&tok=rpOICE5_zDw79VrDnptoOA&pf=p&sclient=psy-ab&safe=off&source=hp&pbx=1&oq=android+t&aq=0&aqi=g4&aql=&gs_sm=&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=23bd634716eb4924&biw=1117&bih=768

panovrx wrote:

> --- In [hidden email], "jrgen_schrader" <panorama@...> wrote:
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> I have a working solution for a wireless transfer of the life-view signal from my camera. Unfortunately I yet have no comfortable solution to view it in the field. Can anybody recommend a small and cheap monitor in the 7" range with a composite input? 12 V and deliverend from Europe would be nice. (Yes, I know they're on ebay, but maybe someone can share his own experience with one of these).
>>
>> Cheers
>> Jürgen
>>

> What did you have in mind for the "wireless tranfer" part? I saw this
> http://store.teradek.com/products/cube_250 which would give you a high quality wifi stream to an ipad etc -- but it is a bit expensive
> http://store.teradek.com/products/cube_250
>
> PeterM

Re: Need a small field monitor

jrgen_schrader
I need to monitor the FOV _before_ I capture it.

--- In [hidden email], Ken Warner <kwarner000@...> wrote:

> How about this idea?  Get an Eye Fi SD card and use WiFi to transmit directly to an Android tablet that has WiFi built into it?
>
> http://www.eye.fi/
> https://www.google.com/#hl=en&cp=9&gs_id=1i&xhr=t&q=android+tablet&tok=rpOICE5_zDw79VrDnptoOA&pf=p&sclient=psy-ab&safe=off&source=hp&pbx=1&oq=android+t&aq=0&aqi=g4&aql=&gs_sm=&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=23bd634716eb4924&biw=1117&bih=768
>

> panovrx wrote:
> >
> > --- In [hidden email], "jrgen_schrader" <panorama@> wrote:
> >> Hi guys,
> >>
> >> I have a working solution for a wireless transfer of the life-view signal from my camera. Unfortunately I yet have no comfortable solution to view it in the field. Can anybody recommend a small and cheap monitor in the 7" range with a composite input? 12 V and deliverend from Europe would be nice. (Yes, I know they're on ebay, but maybe someone can share his own experience with one of these).
> >>
> >> Cheers
> >> Jürgen
> >>

> > What did you have in mind for the "wireless tranfer" part? I saw this
> > http://store.teradek.com/products/cube_250 which would give you a high quality wifi stream to an ipad etc -- but it is a bit expensive
> > http://store.teradek.com/products/cube_250
> >
> > PeterM

Re: Need a small field monitor

DemonDuck
It's just bits -- you aren't wasting anything by taking a test shot.

But what ever....

jrgen_schrader wrote:

> I need to monitor the FOV _before_ I capture it.
>
> --- In [hidden email], Ken Warner <kwarner000@...> wrote:
>> How about this idea?  Get an Eye Fi SD card and use WiFi to transmit directly to an Android tablet that has WiFi built into it?
>>
>> http://www.eye.fi/
>> https://www.google.com/#hl=en&cp=9&gs_id=1i&xhr=t&q=android+tablet&tok=rpOICE5_zDw79VrDnptoOA&pf=p&sclient=psy-ab&safe=off&source=hp&pbx=1&oq=android+t&aq=0&aqi=g4&aql=&gs_sm=&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=23bd634716eb4924&biw=1117&bih=768
>>

>> panovrx wrote:

>>> What did you have in mind for the "wireless tranfer" part? I saw this
>>> http://store.teradek.com/products/cube_250 which would give you a high quality wifi stream to an ipad etc -- but it is a bit expensive
>>> http://store.teradek.com/products/cube_250
>>>
>>> PeterM

Re: Need a small field monitor

jrgen_schrader
I have a small video transmitter which in its first life was used to transfer a camera signal from an RC airplane to the ground. it also works with the composit signal from the 5D.
Your find could also be a great option because it would allow to carry much less and could easily be setup. Though a latency time of 1/2 second might a showstopper in some cases. And yes, it's a bit pricy, but I assume  one would hardly use it just for the luxury of a larger camera display.

--- In [hidden email], "panovrx" <panovrx@...> wrote:

> --- In [hidden email], "jrgen_schrader" <panorama@> wrote:
> >
> > Hi guys,
> >
> > I have a working solution for a wireless transfer of the life-view signal from my camera. Unfortunately I yet have no comfortable solution to view it in the field. Can anybody recommend a small and cheap monitor in the 7" range with a composite input? 12 V and deliverend from Europe would be nice. (Yes, I know they're on ebay, but maybe someone can share his own experience with one of these).
> >
> > Cheers
> > Jürgen
> >

> What did you have in mind for the "wireless tranfer" part? I saw this
> http://store.teradek.com/products/cube_250 which would give you a high quality wifi stream to an ipad etc -- but it is a bit expensive
> http://store.teradek.com/products/cube_250
>
> PeterM

Re: Need a small field monitor

Bjørn K Nilssen
På Sat, 10 Dec 2011 07:11:34 +0100, skrev jrgen_schrader <[hidden email]>:

> I have a small video transmitter which in its first life was used to transfer a camera signal from an RC airplane to the ground. it also works with the composit signal from the 5D.
> Your find could also be a great option because it would allow to carry much less and could easily be setup. Though a latency time of 1/2 second might a showstopper in some cases. And yes, it's a bit pricy, but I assume  one would hardly use it just for the luxury of a larger camera display.

My very first pole shots were with a video transmitter/receiver (2.3GHz), an RC servo for shutter, with RC Tx/Rx and a camcorder with vomposite input for viewing the video remotely. Lots of battery packs and gadgets! Not a solo project.. ;)
Later I bought a video spectacle (?), glasses with a tiny monitor on one eye. Worked OK, but also needed an external box for batteries etc.
I also bought a cheap, small LCD TV with a composite input, also with an external 12V battery pack :(
All this was for use in a RC helicopter, which was stolen from my car ($5k), and never replaced. Nowadays I shoot mainly pole shots with a fisheye, and don't usually need/bother with any remote view.
All those 3 remote video solutions worked OK, quite a few years ago, and today I would probably go for the small TV with composite input, if they can still be found?
Or one of those small, cheap car DVD players/screens? I've seen sets with DVD player + 2 small LCD screens for around $100.

--
Bjørn K Nilssen - [hidden email] - 3D and panoramas

Re: Need a small field monitor

jrgen_schrader
Wiith monitoring life view it's all about capturing the right moment and not checking if you really got it.

--- In [hidden email], Ken Warner <kwarner000@...> wrote:

> It's just bits -- you aren't wasting anything by taking a test shot.
>
> But what ever....
>
> jrgen_schrader wrote:
> > I need to monitor the FOV _before_ I capture it.
> >
> > --- In [hidden email], Ken Warner <kwarner000@> wrote:
> >> How about this idea?  Get an Eye Fi SD card and use WiFi to transmit directly to an Android tablet that has WiFi built into it?
> >>
> >> http://www.eye.fi/
> >> https://www.google.com/#hl=en&cp=9&gs_id=1i&xhr=t&q=android+tablet&tok=rpOICE5_zDw79VrDnptoOA&pf=p&sclient=psy-ab&safe=off&source=hp&pbx=1&oq=android+t&aq=0&aqi=g4&aql=&gs_sm=&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=23bd634716eb4924&biw=1117&bih=768

Re: Need a small field monitor

Paul Fretheim

> Wiith monitoring life view it's all about capturing the right moment and not checking if you really got it.

I use my eyes for that.

Paul Fretheim

Re: Need a small field monitor

jrgen_schrader
Try to imagine a situation where you have to trigger your camera from a position at least 100 ft. apart while you rotate it with a robot into different directions. Maybe some of you big geniusses will be able to exactly determine what's inside the frame of your 15mm lens, but I can't.

--- In [hidden email], Paul Fretheim <paul@...> wrote:

> > Wiith monitoring life view it's all about capturing the right moment and not checking if you really got it.
>
> I use my eyes for that.
>
> Paul Fretheim

Re: Need a small field monitor

DemonDuck
Please accept my sincerest apology for trying to help....

jrgen_schrader wrote:

> Try to imagine a situation where you have to trigger your camera from a position at least 100 ft. apart while you rotate it with a robot into different directions. Maybe some of you big geniusses will be able to exactly determine what's inside the frame of your 15mm lens, but I can't.
>
> --- In [hidden email], Paul Fretheim <paul@...> wrote:
>>> Wiith monitoring life view it's all about capturing the right moment and not checking if you really got it.
>> I use my eyes for that.
>>
>> Paul Fretheim

Re: Need a small field monitor

jrgen_schrader
Peter, while trying to find more information on the Cube I just found this: "*Latency measured by independent third party testers. iPad's native video decoder adds approximately 10 seconds of latency. An RTP solution for iPad will be available shortly to eliminate the latency issue."

Uh, oh ...