Nikon1 Panos

Norman Shapiro-2

I am starting to work out the mechanics to due panoramas with a Nikon1 camera.  I'm using a Nikon FC-E8 lens artached to a 10-30 lens on a Nikon1 V1 body.  I'm stitching with PTMac.  Has anyone else tried or is doing panos with the Nikon1 system?
Norm Shapiro
Sent from my iPad
Sent from my iPad

Re: Nikon1 Panos

Matthew Rogers - 360Precision
Hi Norm,

        Putting a Nikon FC-E8 on ANY lens these days is simply wasting your time. The quality will be awful and you’ll just regret using it. With the lens selection available almost ANY of the other mirror less systems are a better choice for panoramas.

        Sorry to be less than helpful but facts are facts.

Matt

On 23 Apr 2014, at 08:42, Norman Shapiro <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am starting to work out the mechanics to due panoramas with a Nikon1 camera. I'm using a Nikon FC-E8 lens artached to a 10-30 lens on a Nikon1 V1 body. I'm stitching with PTMac. Has anyone else tried or is doing panos with the Nikon1 system?
> Norm Shapiro
> Sent from my iPad
> Sent from my iPad

Re: Nikon1 Panos

Norman Shapiro-2

Matt, thanks for your input.  I'm already using Nikon1 V1 cameras for some of my professional work.  They may not be equal to larger DSLR cameras but there are certain applications where they are fine and actually better.  First tests in making panos are encouraging.  If I get results that  I'm happy with I will share them with group.
Norm

Re: Nikon1 Panos

Peter Nyfeler-2
Hi Norman

Am 24.04.14 10:36, schrieb Norman Shapiro:

> Matt, thanks for your input.  I'm already using Nikon1 V1 cameras for some of my professional work.  They may not be equal to larger DSLR cameras but there are certain applications where they are fine and actually better.  First tests in making panos are encouraging.  If I get results that  I'm happy with I will share them with group.
> Norm
>
> ------------------------------------

I think the Nikon 1 is fine but the FC-E8 is the weak point in your system.

Best regrads

Peter

Re: Nikon1 Panos

Norman Shapiro-2
Any suggestions for a better lens?

Sent from my iPad

Re: Nikon1 Panos

Peter Nyfeler-2
Hi Norman

Am 27.04.14 09:58, schrieb Norman Shapiro:
> Any suggestions for a better lens?
>
> Sent from my iPad
>

> ------------------------------------

When IQ matters:
http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Products/Product/Nikon1-Lenses/1-NIKKOR-10mm-f%252F2.8.html
10 mm are about 27 mm in FF

When fewer images matters:
http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Products/Product/Nikon1-Lenses/1-NIKKOR-6.7-13mm-f%252F3.5-5.6-VR.html
6.7 mm are about 18 mm in FF

Every attachement lens or converter will greatly reduce the image quality.

Best regards

Peter

Re: Nikon1 Panos

Norman Shapiro-2
Thanks Peter.  I have both of those lenses.  And I've been doing panos for many years with a Nikor 10.5mm and a DSLR. Now I would like to see if I can do them with a circular fisheye on the Nikon 1 camera.  But I have not been able to find one so I'm experimenting how it will be with the FC-E8.  Since the V1 sensor is small but much better than the ones used on the Coolpix cameras from the early 90's hopefully I can get usable results.  My goal is to produce spherical panoramas to be viewed on a screen-not prints.

Sent from my iPad

Re: Nikon1 Panos

Alan Ritter

I used the FC-E8 with both my Coolpix 990 and 4500.  The quality was kind of, sort of, maybe ok for small-window on-screen viewing but not for full-screen on today's big monitors.  A few examples:

http://www.mtritter.org/panoramas/Corcovado/

http://www.mtritter.org/panoramas/Shotover_bungee/

Note that both of these use the old "ptviewer" Java app and you may have to tweak your Java settings since it does not comply with the current Java version's security protocol and is likely to be blocked.
/s/jar (Alan Ritter, [hidden email])
        http://www.mtritter.org
On 4/28/2014 2:59 AM, Norman Shapiro wrote:

Thanks Peter. I have both of those lenses. And I've been doing panos for many years with a Nikor 10.5mm and a DSLR. Now I would like to see if I can do them with a circular fisheye on the Nikon 1 camera. But I have not been able to find one so I'm experimenting how it will be with the FC-E8. Since the V1 sensor is small but much better than the ones used on the Coolpix cameras from the early 90's hopefully I can get usable results. My goal is to produce spherical panoramas to be viewed on a screen-not prints.

Sent from my iPad

.

Re: Nikon1 Panos

Am 28.04.2014 09:59, schrieb Norman Shapiro:
> My goal is to produce spherical panoramas to be viewed on a screen-not prints.

With the advent of 4K monitors there won't be much difference in quality
requirements between print and web in the near future...