OT? - KML format

Mark D. Fink
Hi all,

I've been doing some aerial crop surveys the last couple of years with a
drone, and am currently using a program called Correlator3D to stitch these
very large mosaics together. One of the issues I'm trying to solve is to
convert the resulting geotiff images into the KML format. This would allow
my clients to view and markup the surveys in Google Earth.

The reason I'm reaching out to this group is an idea I had this morning of
the similarity of the multi-tiled output that some of the tour software out
there provides, and the KML file format. Is it possible that these are
similar at some level? If anyone has experience with converting large TIFF
images into KML nested folders with multi-resolution tiles, I'd greatly
appreciate any advice.

Thanks!

Mark

Re: OT? - KML format

Bjørn K Nilssen
On Mon, 09 Oct 2017 14:54:07 +0200, 'Mark D. Fink'
[hidden email] [PanoToolsNG] <[hidden email]>
wrote:

I haven't done it myself, but have used KML/KMZ sometimes with SketchUp
and Google Earth, but that was mainly 3D (georeferenced).
I also have QGIS installed, but haven't really used it. I was supposed to
work a lot with drone photos/surveys, but the project never started..

Maybe you could find some answers here? :
https://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/143344/qgis-raster-geotiff-file-covert-to-kml

Bjørn K Nilssen - 3D viz - photo - 360 panoramas

Re: OT? - KML format

Mark D. Fink

Hi Bjørn,

Thanks, I'll take a look at that link and see what I can find.

Mark

On Oct 9, 2017 9:16 AM, "Bjørn K Nilssen [hidden email] [PanoToolsNG]" <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

__._,_.___

Posted by: "Mark D. Fink" <[hidden email]>

.

RE: OT? - KML format

Mark D. Fink

That link was what I needed. One person said to just drop the geotiff on Google Earth Pro, and it will create the KML files for you. Yup, that works! I successfully made a KML folder for a small test stitch I did. I'll do some more testing with larger surveys to see if there is an upper size limit.

Thanks again Bjørn!
[...]

Posted by: <[hidden email]>

.