Quantcast

PTGui Speedtest for Fisheye Images

Bernhard Vogl-2
While i feel honored that many people use the "PTGui Speedtest" files to
assess their hardware configuration, i was rightly criticized that it
doesn't fit everyday needs to stitch fisheye images. So i thought it
could be a good idea to provide an additional test set:

The following set consists of 14*5 images (bracketed) with a 16mm
fisheye - resulting in a 14000*7000 panorama:
http://hdview.at/speedtest/speedtest_fisheye.zip

Usage instructions:
Download ZIP file (30mb) and unpack in any folder.
Windows users can simply start the provided "_runme_ptgui.cmd" file. It
will start the job and print the timing information.
Mac users will need to run the .pts file and a stopwatch, but i would be
happy if someone could provide me with something that has the same
functionality.

A word of warning:
The test is 99% bound to your CPU and RAM resources and takes approx. 15
minutes on a decent machine. If you are low on RAM, it may take much,
much longer! (on my computer PTGui took up to 12GB of RAM during the test).

I would love to get some feedback about usefulnes and potential
improvements of this test!

Best regards
Bernhard

Re: PTGui Speedtest for Fisheye Images

Bostjan Burger
I have used test on my laptops which seems to be very slow comparing to your PC:

Batch Stitcher started on BOSTJANSTUDIO at  6:24:59,65
and ended at  7:18:08,11

that is : ~ 54 minutes (

Batch Stitcher started on BOSTJANQOS at  6:28:38,35
and ended at  7:21:12,34

that is ~ 53 minutes

Both laptops with i7, Q720, 1.60 GHz, 8 GB DDR3, HDD 7200 rpm, Win7-64 bit

Bostjan

Re: PTGui Speedtest for Fisheye Images

Bernhard Vogl-2
Hello Bostjan,

Thanks for running the test! Your results sould well be within the
expected values if the working set doesn't fit in your computer's memory
and PTGui has to swap out memory.
I admit, this is my intention to keep even the strongest machines busy
for some minutes  ;-)

On blow screenshot from a 16GB machine, you can see that memory
consumption during stitch is well above 8GB. During blend, it will even
eat up all available memory. With 8GB RAM you may set the output
resolution from 14000x7000 to 8000x4000 an the stitch should finish in
much, much shorter time...
http://hdview.at/speedtest/load.jpg

Best regards
Bernhard

web

Re: PTGui Speedtest for Fisheye Images

web
Hi Bernhard.  Here are my results:

Batch Stitcher started on NOLAN-XEON at 21:37:10.29
and ended at 21:53:23.47

So, a little over 16 minutes.  This is on a dual quad Xeon 2.27Mhz with 24GB RAM and an esata SSD RAID array for files and scratch.  My RAM peaked at about 17GB during blend, never used more than 50% cpu.  So I guess the bottleneck was drive speed (?), which is about as fast as they come.  Perhaps Windows was using a pagefile on a slower disk, not sure, but presumably not since I had plenty of ram left.

A while ago I remember Helmut saying he was developing a less disk intensive stitch/blender, but I havent been following closely lately, has that worked out?

-Matt

--- In [hidden email], Bernhard Vogl <bvogl@...> wrote:

> While i feel honored that many people use the "PTGui Speedtest" files to
> assess their hardware configuration, i was rightly criticized that it
> doesn't fit everyday needs to stitch fisheye images. So i thought it
> could be a good idea to provide an additional test set:
>
> The following set consists of 14*5 images (bracketed) with a 16mm
> fisheye - resulting in a 14000*7000 panorama:
> http://hdview.at/speedtest/speedtest_fisheye.zip
>
> Usage instructions:
> Download ZIP file (30mb) and unpack in any folder.
> Windows users can simply start the provided "_runme_ptgui.cmd" file. It
> will start the job and print the timing information.
> Mac users will need to run the .pts file and a stopwatch, but i would be
> happy if someone could provide me with something that has the same
> functionality.
>
> A word of warning:
> The test is 99% bound to your CPU and RAM resources and takes approx. 15
> minutes on a decent machine. If you are low on RAM, it may take much,
> much longer! (on my computer PTGui took up to 12GB of RAM during the test).
>
> I would love to get some feedback about usefulnes and potential
> improvements of this test!
>
> Best regards
> Bernhard

Re: PTGui Speedtest for Fisheye Images

Bernhard Vogl-2
Hello Matt,

Thanks for the results! Your 50% CPU load is an unexpected result _if_ you talk about real CPU cores and not hyperthreading. IF you have hyperthreading enabled, you will never be able to go above 50% (lenghty to explain, tell me if i should).
With your RAM configuration there is certainly no disk bottleneck.

Still - with 8 cores and 24GB i would expect a shorter stitching time, certainly something you may have a closer look  ;-)
Pls. feel free to contact me off list if you want to investigate that in detail with me...  :-)

Best regards
Bernhard

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Wed, 02 Feb 2011 07:22:40 -0000
> Von: "matt_nolan_uaf" <[hidden email]>
> An: [hidden email]
> Betreff: [PanoToolsNG] Re: PTGui Speedtest for Fisheye Images

> Hi Bernhard.  Here are my results:

> Batch Stitcher started on NOLAN-XEON at 21:37:10.29
> and ended at 21:53:23.47
>
> So, a little over 16 minutes.  This is on a dual quad Xeon 2.27Mhz with
> 24GB RAM and an esata SSD RAID array for files and scratch.  My RAM peaked at
> about 17GB during blend, never used more than 50% cpu.  So I guess the
> bottleneck was drive speed (?), which is about as fast as they come.  Perhaps
> Windows was using a pagefile on a slower disk, not sure, but presumably not
> since I had plenty of ram left.
>
> A while ago I remember Helmut saying he was developing a less disk
> intensive stitch/blender, but I havent been following closely lately, has that
> worked out?
>
> -Matt
>

> --- In [hidden email], Bernhard Vogl <bvogl@...> wrote:
> >
> > While i feel honored that many people use the "PTGui Speedtest" files to
> > assess their hardware configuration, i was rightly criticized that it
> > doesn't fit everyday needs to stitch fisheye images. So i thought it
> > could be a good idea to provide an additional test set:
> >
> > The following set consists of 14*5 images (bracketed) with a 16mm
> > fisheye - resulting in a 14000*7000 panorama:
> > http://hdview.at/speedtest/speedtest_fisheye.zip
> >
> > Usage instructions:
> > Download ZIP file (30mb) and unpack in any folder.
> > Windows users can simply start the provided "_runme_ptgui.cmd" file. It
> > will start the job and print the timing information.
> > Mac users will need to run the .pts file and a stopwatch, but i would be
> > happy if someone could provide me with something that has the same
> > functionality.
> >
> > A word of warning:
> > The test is 99% bound to your CPU and RAM resources and takes approx. 15
> > minutes on a decent machine. If you are low on RAM, it may take much,
> > much longer! (on my computer PTGui took up to 12GB of RAM during the
> test).
> >
> > I would love to get some feedback about usefulnes and potential
> > improvements of this test!
> >
> > Best regards
> > Bernhard

Re: PTGui Speedtest for Fisheye Images

Tived
thanks Bernhard,

i will give it a try as soon as i get home. it will be interesting to see how this one differes from the other test.

i am sorry to hear people have been complaining about the test - after all they just give you an indication of how your current computer fares. and then one can compare it to others if you are not happy with the result and see what it takes to go faster, then plan your next computer with similar specs.

I think that this is a very helpful tool, in the decision process of both how the hard and software fares in a given combination. this also helps the developers I would think.

thanks

Henrik

Re: PTGui Speedtest for Fisheye Images

Hans-74

--- In [hidden email], Bernhard Vogl <bvogl@...> wrote:

> While i feel honored that many people use the "PTGui Speedtest" files to
> assess their hardware configuration, i was rightly criticized that it
> doesn't fit everyday needs to stitch fisheye images. So i thought it
> could be a good idea to provide an additional test set:
>
> The following set consists of 14*5 images (bracketed) with a 16mm
> fisheye - resulting in a 14000*7000 panorama:
> http://hdview.at/speedtest/speedtest_fisheye.zip

Here is my test.
Computer iMac 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 8GB Ram - Standard Hardisc 7200RPM

Warping 22 min, blend 4.20,fusion 6.30  in ALL: 32.50

But of course I would never use PTgui this way.
It is waist of time and the fusing quality is not at all as good as you can get by using Enfuse before the stitch.

Here is how I do it.
Enfusing 14 x 5 images Time 1min 50sec.
Total time used including importing enfused images in PTgui, generating controlpoints ,optimizing and stitch: 9 minutes.

When you compare the 9 min to the 32.50 doing it all in PTgui you should also ad at least 5 min to setup the Pano  and optimize it including the exposure fusion setup.
Here are the 2 panos:
http://www.panoramas.dk/panorama/speedtest_fisheye/

I tried to do my own Exposure fusion correction in Ptgui to see if I could get the same quality in the shadows but I could not get it.
Both are very poserized due to the high compression of the jpgs.

Hans

> Usage instructions:
> Download ZIP file (30mb) and unpack in any folder.
> Windows users can simply start the provided "_runme_ptgui.cmd" file. It
> will start the job and print the timing information.
> Mac users will need to run the .pts file and a stopwatch, but i would be
> happy if someone could provide me with something that has the same
> functionality.
>
> A word of warning:
> The test is 99% bound to your CPU and RAM resources and takes approx. 15
> minutes on a decent machine. If you are low on RAM, it may take much,
> much longer! (on my computer PTGui took up to 12GB of RAM during the test).
>
> I would love to get some feedback about usefulnes and potential
> improvements of this test!
>
> Best regards
> Bernhard

Re: PTGui Speedtest for Fisheye Images

Bernhard Vogl-2
Hello Hans,

Thank you for running the test and also for your valuable considerations!
Maybe some beginners on this list could misunderstand the given project
as a learning aid, so i want to emphasize what Hans said and add some
more information:
1) (For me,) a "standard bracketed panorama" consists of 3 shots that
are 2 EV apart. My Nikon can only shoot 5 images with1 EV apart. The 2
other sets can be safely taken out because they contain redundant
information. This would not only reduce stitching speed (e.g. on my
computer from 15min to 9min) but also make the fusing process much
easier and more control-able!
2) 2 rows at -20 and +30 degrees are not necessary for 16mm fisheyes on
a fullframe camera (or a 10mm on 1.5 crop). 1 row and 2 zenith images
are enough.

Best regards
Bernhard

> Here is my test.
> Computer iMac 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 8GB Ram - Standard Hardisc 7200RPM
>
> Warping 22 min, blend 4.20,fusion 6.30  in ALL: 32.50
>
> But of course I would never use PTgui this way.
> It is waist of time and the fusing quality is not at all as good as you can get by using Enfuse before the stitch.
>
> Here is how I do it.
> Enfusing 14 x 5 images Time 1min 50sec.
> Total time used including importing enfused images in PTgui, generating controlpoints ,optimizing and stitch: 9 minutes.
>
> When you compare the 9 min to the 32.50 doing it all in PTgui you should also ad at least 5 min to setup the Pano  and optimize it including the exposure fusion setup.
> Here are the 2 panos:
> http://www.panoramas.dk/panorama/speedtest_fisheye/
>
> I tried to do my own Exposure fusion correction in Ptgui to see if I could get the same quality in the shadows but I could not get it.
> Both are very poserized due to the high compression of the jpgs.
>
> Hans
>

>> Usage instructions:
>> Download ZIP file (30mb) and unpack in any folder.
>> Windows users can simply start the provided "_runme_ptgui.cmd" file. It
>> will start the job and print the timing information.
>> Mac users will need to run the .pts file and a stopwatch, but i would be
>> happy if someone could provide me with something that has the same
>> functionality.
>>
>> A word of warning:
>> The test is 99% bound to your CPU and RAM resources and takes approx. 15
>> minutes on a decent machine. If you are low on RAM, it may take much,
>> much longer! (on my computer PTGui took up to 12GB of RAM during the test).
>>
>> I would love to get some feedback about usefulnes and potential
>> improvements of this test!
>>
>> Best regards
>> Bernhard

Re: PTGui Speedtest for Fisheye Images

Marc Huff
Batch Stitcher started on SMILODON at 15:42:51.16
and ended at 15:55:03.19

12 minutes, 12 seconds.

Self-built i7 auto-overclocked to 2.8 GHz, 12 GB RAM, two 450 mb/s
read/write 60GB SSDs set at RAID 0 as OS and scratch... with a spindle drive
as backup that I don't think it used... couldn't have with that time.

_Marc Huff

Hi Bernhard, here is my result, I am sure I can improve on it Batch Stitcher started on FARMOR at 12:05:47.89 and ended at 12:10:03.70 12:10:03.70 12:05:47.89 00:04:16.81 using the same machine I did on the precious test @ 3.8Ghz MCG Technology Dual Xeon X5650 2.66Ghz @ 3.8Ghz Corsair A-70 CPU fans EVGA Classified SR-2 mainboard 48GB DDR3 1333 Kingston RAM (6x8GB) OS: 2x Corsair SSD F120 RAID-0 total Scratch Disk: 3x ARAM Ultra II 60GB RAID-0 IBM M1015/LSI 9240-8i controller DATA disk 4x WD Black Caviar 1 TB RAID-0 JBOD 3x 2TB WD Green + 2x 1.5TB WD Green GPU: ASUS GTX-460 1GB PSU: Antec 1200w Lian Li V2120 Black henrik

Re: PTGui Speedtest for Fisheye Images

Tived
Hi Bernhard,

I ran it again, this time I did a fresh restart, i did take screen shots of it, into photoshop

I was for short periods hitting high 90s and I think the ram usage went up to 27gb

my time this time was

Batch Stitcher started on FARMOR at 12:45:10.12
and ended at 12:49:20.03

12:49:20.03
12:45:10.12
00:04:09.51

Re: PTGui Speedtest for Fisheye Images

Bostjan Burger
Tived,

would you please provide a link or the explanation what beast is FARMOR?

Bostjan

________________________________

http://panotoolsng.586017.n4.nabble.com/file/n3257202/Speedtest_Fisheye_Tived4.gif

Re: PTGui Speedtest for Fisheye Images

Tived
isn't that visable in the image?

Henrik Tived

On Thu Feb 3 14:29 , 'Bostjan Burger [via PanoToolsNG]' sent:

http://panotoolsng.586017.n4.nabble.com/PTGui-Speedtest-for-Fisheye-Images-tp3253089p3257323.html
To unsubscribe from PTGui Speedtest for Fisheye Images, click here.

Re: PTGui Speedtest for Fisheye Images

Bostjan Burger
Now I can see...I didn't see the image in my mailbox but in the "nabble.com".

Bostjan

________________________________

I ran it again, this time I did a fresh restart, i did take screen shots of
it, into photoshop

I was for short periods hitting high 90s and I think the ram usage went up
to 27gb

my time this time was

Batch Stitcher started on FARMOR at 12:45:10.12
and ended at 12:49:20.03

12:49:20.03
12:45:10.12
00:04:09.51

http://panotoolsng.586017.n4.nabble.com/file/n3257202/Speedtest_Fisheye_Tived4.gif

&nbsp;
&nbsp;

&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;

http://panotoolsng.586017.n4.nabble.com/PTGui-Speedtest-for-Fisheye-Images-tp3253089p3257323.html

To unsubscribe from PTGui Speedtest for Fisheye Images, click here .

Re: PTGui Speedtest for Fisheye Images

Tived
This post was updated on .
Bostjan,

Is a custom build machine, that we made late last year and is based around two Intel XEON X5650 processors and EVGA Classified SR-2 mainboard.

this is the only Dual Xeon mainboard that can be overclocked, that I know off. From an Xtreme computing point of view is conservatively configured :-)
as I have only gone with the middle of the range CPU's and also only filled half the ram slots up ;-) so there is room for improvements here

2ndly I have spend the better part of the last 6 month in particular talking to people on the Autopano Forum, debating back and forth what makes pano making
tick. I do retouching for a living (surviving, it isn't a living :-), just a bad life style ).

from this i concluded that, PTGUI and AUTOPANO, are taxing CPU. RAM and I/O operations, and to a lessor extend the GPU.

My own experience with my two other computers, one Dual Opteron (2x2cores @2.66Ghz) and one Intel Extreme Q6700 4core @2.66, both 8gb of ram
that these were just not enough for the kind of pano's that I were making. It took too long time to produce and experiment with.
My two old computers are similar spec'ed and within 10-20% speed difference, the Dual Opteron being that bit faster but also have two processors
gave a better feel when working with multiple applications, as we do when we make panos, or at least in my workflow.

The conclusion on this is that I believe that a Dual or Multi-processor system to be a better choice for higher performance then a single processor system.
One of the reason being twice the CPU power, but also that you can have more ram and generally they are build to workstation/enterprise standards.

I think uptil recently harddrive speed have been the overlooked bottleneck, and adding SSD's to your system certainly helps, but adding many SSD's in RAID-0's
helps even more.

Now, some will argue that the can build a single processor like the i7 or Sandy Bridge that is almost as fast or even faster at half the cost - maybe they can. I am
still confident that the Dual Processor approach is a better overall choice for what we do - making pano's

If you want the shopping list here you go

2x Intel X5650 CPU
2x Corsair A-70 CPU COOLER
1x EVGA SR-2 mainboard
6x 8GB Kingston ECC DDR3 1333 RAM
1x ASUS GTX-460 1GB GPU
2x Corsair Force F120 SSD
3x ARAM Ultra II 60GB SSD
4x WD Black Caviar 1TB HDD
1x Antec 1200w PSU
1x Lian Li PC-V2120B Case

2x IBM M1015 SAS/SATA HBA Controllers

the plan is that I will eventually add more SSD's in RAID's to increase the speed

I have an additional 9TB HDD hanging off in JBOD and I still have 8 channels left on one controller

After you have gotten all the parts you will need to work out how to overclock it :-) and there you have it

I hope this is of some help - its 6-9months of research in a brief email

Henrik

Re: PTGui Speedtest for Fisheye Images

jot_mateng
Hello Berhard,

thanks for your test archive. On my stitching system the result is:

---
Batch Stitcher started on MIRACLE-MONSTER at  22:14:40,09
and ended at  22:30:34,14
--

That's 15:54,05 in total.

The system:
i7 920 (@ 2,66 GHz) running Win7 Ultimate (64 bit)
12 GB RAM
120 GB SSD (system disk, but every file was also on this disk)

No dedicated scratch disk.

Best regards

Panotwin Juergen

Re: PTGui Speedtest for Fisheye Images

Blaise
This is my first post here, thanks for making it possible to learn...

My results:
Batch Stitcher started on B-G-WORK-PC at  2:05:13,52
and ended at  2:12:12,68

6 min, 59 sec

This is a new Sandy Bridge 2600k, nothing special. Running @4,4 GHz, 16GB standard Ram, one Raid0 for temp files with standard HDDs, Asus P8P67 Pro. You can have a look at the exact specifiaction at Bernhards page.

The fisheye test seems to be less i/o limited. My memory usage went up to 15 GB and CPU was very close to 100% especially at warping

As for the PTgui workflow. Actually I am using a very similar setup to that of Bernhard. The reason I prefered this so far is that I am able to get the blend planes at the end and that gives a lot of room for final retouching and fine-tuning, masking. I have not used enfuse so far. But maybe I should consider giving it a chance as well.

The main differences are that I am using a 18mm rectilinear lens and I have found that smartblend is very useful sometimes. And that is my problem as well. As PtGui only starts one thread from it, it is really sloooow.

Best regards,
Balazs

Re: PTGui Speedtest for Fisheye Images

Tived
Blaise,

that is a really nice result with the new Sandy.

Could you link to what is Bernhard's workflow, I would really like to see if I can improve on what I do

thanks

Henrik

Re: PTGui Speedtest for Fisheye Images

Blaise
Henrik,

Yes, I was also impressed how good the new i7 is. And this setup is not too much expensive either.

I was mainly referring to that whether it is a good idea to let PTgui make the exposure fusion. And I think that it is not bad if you have a good hw for that.
I have also made my version quickly:
http://balazs.tudos.hu/Pano/speedtest_fisheye_noflare.html

The reason Hans could not make a decent fusion with PTgui was that the "Optimize flare" function boosts contrast and reduces the shadow detail. You have to generally switch that off. I do not use it, but it was not easy to discover the problem as I have already forgot about that switch.

And smartblend delivers generally better results here as well. The PTgui blend is containing some errors, which is missing from the smartblend version:
http://balazs.tudos.hu/Pano/Blend.jpg
This is of course not tragical.
But interestingly even some details of the exposure fusion are looking better with smartblend.

regards,
Balazs

Re: PTGui Speedtest for Fisheye Images

Tived
Blaise,

I think I need to know more about setting up PTGui, in order to get the most out of it. I am clearly lacking some knowledge here.

Is there a link here somewhere with recommanded settings?

thanks

Henrik