Pano Size Question

onezebra1
I've never tried posting a pano made using 4000 pix cube sides before.
The file size is close to 10mb, does it open up and work ok?
I believe this size is at the largest limit.
http://indiavrtours.com/vrphotos/chocolate_highview2.html
This was taken at the 2012 King of The Hammers offroad race a few days ago.

RE: Pano Size Question

Briar
That is SO sharp, and loaded very quickly on my machine. It would be
interesting to have some specs as to equipment used and so on..Briar.

Re: Pano Size Question

Trausti Hraunfjord
Works perfectly, and this is one of the most beautiful pano subjects I have
ever seen.

... and I don't complain over having the Icelandic flag so well positioned
either :)

Did you get more panos from the competition?  This is absolutely gorgeous.

Trausti

On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 2:35 AM, onezebra1 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> **
>

> I've never tried posting a pano made using 4000 pix cube sides before.
> The file size is close to 10mb, does it open up and work ok?
> I believe this size is at the largest limit.
> http://indiavrtours.com/vrphotos/chocolate_highview2.html
> This was taken at the 2012 King of The Hammers offroad race a few days
> ago.

Re: Pano Size Question

Christian Bloch-2
Loads fine and looks gorgeous. Very sharp. That's a mighty pole you got there, buddy … ahem. ;)

My only complaint would be that the cube face straight ahead at loads last. A preview would be helpful, the loading bar is not very inspiring to look at. Reminds me always of the things I hate about Flash-Intros.

Is that horizon tilted or is my eyesight crooked? That's hard to tell with that hill…

Blochi

> The file size is close to 10mb, does it open up and work ok?

Re: Pano Size Question

onezebra1
I used the Canon 5D-2 and Canon 8-15mm lens @ 14mm shooting 5 round with the camera mounted diagonally. My pole goes from 5 feet to 24 feet.
The horizon tilted, I tried adjusting it by looking at the people. Everything is sloping down to Hammer City in the dry lake bed which is all tents and trailers set up for this event. I may try redoing it, but then some of the people will look tilted.

These below where done at half the size (2000 pix cube side).

Low view of buggy at starting line.
http://indiavrtours.com/vrphotos/chocolate3.html

This one is a little blurred up on the hillside, I may redo it.
http://indiavrtours.com/vrphotos/chocolate_thunder_stuck2.html

This was a few days before the main race.
http://indiavrtours.com/vrphotos/chocolate_thunder2.html

Team Fab-10 offroad Italy buggy going down the Backdoor.
http://indiavrtours.com/vrphotos/buggy2.html

The main race, bottle neck at Chocolate Thunder caused by stuck buggy.
http://indiavrtours.com/vrphotos/race2.html

Higher up Chocolate Thunder before race day.
http://indiavrtours.com/vrphotos/chocolate_thunder_upper2.html

Camping on the dry lake.
http://indiavrtours.com/vrphotos/camp3.html

AW: [PanoToolsNG] Re: Pano Size Question

ptgroup
Runs perfect, not too much of a loading time- even with a 1,2 MB connection.
It really is a beauty to see- unbelievable sharp !

ciao
mike

  _____

[...]

I am using the Free version of SPAMfighter <http://www.spamfighter.com/len> .

Do you have a slow PC? <http://www.spamfighter.com/SLOW-PCfighter?cid=sigen>  Try free scan!

Re: Pano Size Question

pedro_silva58
loads and turns fine and looks great.  i've gotta say though... never seen that kind of camel before...
cheers,
pedro

--- In [hidden email], "onezebra1" <onezebra1@...> wrote:

> I've never tried posting a pano made using 4000 pix cube sides before.
> The file size is close to 10mb, does it open up and work ok?
> I believe this size is at the largest limit.
> http://indiavrtours.com/vrphotos/chocolate_highview2.html
> This was taken at the 2012 King of The Hammers offroad race a few days ago.

Re: Pano Size Question

Bostjan Burger
It works fluently. I have loaded it within a second - it seems that you gave a good host.

Boštjan

________________________________

Re: Pano Size Question

DemonDuck
With small resolution monitors, moire (shimmering) can become a problem with large panos.
This is not a characteristic of the pano itself, but of the entire viewing pipeline.
It will also depend on the video hardware.

So I have mixed feelings about large panos.  It is nice to be able to upload just
the 6 large cube faces instead of multiple resolution tiles of the same image, but then moire becomes a distraction.  And the download on slow connections takes a long time.

Multi-resolution viewers are pretty good (except for the incessant loading which is painful on a slow connection).  But you have to upload a pile of tiles.  Sometimes a big pile.  Which can really take
a long time because most connections are slower uploading than downloading.  And those tiles take up
room on your server partition.  And then some viewers seem to be loading tiles all the time which again
is painful on slow connections.

So I remain mixed on large panos.

onezebra1 wrote:
> I've never tried posting a pano made using 4000 pix cube sides before.
> The file size is close to 10mb, does it open up and work ok?
> I believe this size is at the largest limit.
> http://indiavrtours.com/vrphotos/chocolate_highview2.html
> This was taken at the 2012 King of The Hammers offroad race a few days ago.

Re: Pano Size Question

Ron Rack
Nice Pano- Looks great- takes about 12-15 seconds to load here

ron rack

Am 14.02.2012 11:51, schrieb Bostjan Burger:
> It works fluently. I have loaded it within a second - it seems that you
> gave a good host.

Same here. I was prepared to wait some minutes but it finished loading
after seconds. The image quality is astounding, seems I need this lens
as well ;-) The only thing that could be improved would be some CA
reduction.

Re: Pano Size Question

Briar
I would like to ask for comment on the 8-15 mm Canon lens. I did a
comparison of it against the Canon 15mm fisheye which I have had for ages,
and found no difference in the sharpness between the two. Briar.

Re: Pano Size Question

onezebra1

--- In [hidden email], "Briar" <briar_bentley@...> wrote:

> I would like to ask for comment on the 8-15 mm Canon lens. I did a
> comparison of it against the Canon 15mm fisheye which I have had for ages,
> and found no difference in the sharpness between the two. Briar.

I have both lenses and the 8-15mm has almost no flare, is sharp all of the way across from corner to corner, and @ 14mm I can get a little more that 190° diagonally out of it.
So when using a pole I can shoot 5 round and have plenty of overlap.

Re: Pano Size Question

onezebra1
I tried making another super large pano showing the KOH race at the top of Chocolate Thunder. I don't think it turned out as well, but I did remove the CA.
http://indiavrtours.com/vrphotos/chocolate_top_highview2.html

Re: Pano Size Question

Am 15.02.2012 05:14, schrieb onezebra1:
> I don't think it turned out as well, but I did remove the CA.

Perfect :-)

Seriously: I think it turned out just as well as the other. And now even
maximum zoom in is perfect.

Re: Pano Size Question

Trausti Hraunfjord
Super nice!  I am totally sold on the 8-15 lens + 5D MKII .... only need to
get the money for making the purchase.

Trausti

On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 4:43 PM, Erik Krause <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am 15.02.2012 05:14, schrieb onezebra1:
> > I don't think it turned out as well, but I did remove the CA.
>
> Perfect :-)
>
> Seriously: I think it turned out just as well as the other. And now even
> maximum zoom in is perfect.
>
> --
> Erik Krause
> http://www.erik-krause.de

Re: Pano Size Question

Briar
I am putting this question about the 8-15 lens v the 15mm fisheye (both
Canon). Are you saying that one  is sharper than the other? If the 15mm were
used "on the diagonal" as Roger suggests would it have the same effect as
the 8-15 (at 14mm setting)?

I use the 15mm lens and want to be quite sure the $2000+ price tag for the
8-15 is justified.

Super nice!  I am totally sold on the 8-15 lens + 5D MKII .... only need to
get the money for making the purchase.

Trausti

On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 4:43 PM, Erik Krause <[hidden email]> wrote:

Am 15.02.2012 05:14, schrieb onezebra1:

> I don't think it turned out as well, but I did remove the CA.

Perfect :-)

Seriously: I think it turned out just as well as the other. And now even
maximum zoom in is perfect.

Re: Pano Size Question

Sacha Griffin
Michel Thoby's gave it an excellent review, whom we all trust.

." I have found that this is the best and more versatile lens for panorama
photography that I could put my hands on".

http://michel.thoby.free.fr/Canon_8-15mm/8-15mm_review.html

Sacha Griffin

 <http://www.seeit360.com/> http://www.seeit360.com

 <http://twitter.com/SeeIt360> http://twitter.com/SeeIt360

 <http://www.facebook.com/SeeIt360> http://www.facebook.com/SeeIt360

EMAIL: [hidden email]

IM:  <mailto:[hidden email]> [hidden email]

Office: 404-551-4275

Super nice!  I am totally sold on the 8-15 lens + 5D MKII .... only need to
get the money for making the purchase.

Trausti

On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 4:43 PM, Erik Krause <[hidden email]> wrote:

Am 15.02.2012 05:14, schrieb onezebra1:

> I don't think it turned out as well, but I did remove the CA.

Perfect :-)

Seriously: I think it turned out just as well as the other. And now even
maximum zoom in is perfect.

Re: Pano Size Question

onezebra1

--- In [hidden email], "Briar" <briar_bentley@...> wrote:

> I am putting this question about the 8-15 lens v the 15mm fisheye (both
> Canon). Are you saying that one  is sharper than the other? If the 15mm were
> used "on the diagonal" as Roger suggests would it have the same effect as
> the 8-15 (at 14mm setting)?
>

> I use the 15mm lens and want to be quite sure the $2000+ price tag for the
> 8-15 is justified.

One problem when using the Canon 16mm lens and a pole you need shoot 9 round with the camera mounted diagonally, and you still need to patch a small hole in the top and bottom, here's an example of it.
http://indiavrtours.com/vrphotos/77.html

The corners of the Canon 16mm are not very sharp and I have gotten some bad flare at times, but I do like that it's F2.8
But for now I will keep using my Nikon 10.5mm F2.8 hens for fast low light shots.

With the Canon 8-15mm I can shoot 5 round @ 14mm (and I trimmed the hood so I don't have to remove it) or set it to 11mm for 4 shots round. I have even done 2 shots @ 8mm and it was not too bad. Here's an example of it.
http://indiavrtours.com/vrphotos/2shots.html
This was done on a pole, should be able to do better with a tripod.

Re: Pano Size Question

Ron Rack
Cool, is this where you live? I have driven by there a couple times. Anyway, just out of curiosity, who do you host you files with. The large panos do load rather fast. My latest panos are quite large also but seem to take about 3 times longer to load than yours.

ron rack
http://360around.com

On Feb 16, 2012, at 12:01 PM, onezebra1 wrote:

> --- In [hidden email], "Briar" <briar_bentley@...> wrote:
> >
> > I am putting this question about the 8-15 lens v the 15mm fisheye (both
> > Canon). Are you saying that one is sharper than the other? If the 15mm were
> > used "on the diagonal" as Roger suggests would it have the same effect as
> > the 8-15 (at 14mm setting)?
> >

> > I use the 15mm lens and want to be quite sure the $2000+ price tag for the
> > 8-15 is justified.
> >

> One problem when using the Canon 16mm lens and a pole you need shoot 9 round with the camera mounted diagonally, and you still need to patch a small hole in the top and bottom, here's an example of it.
> http://indiavrtours.com/vrphotos/77.html
>
> The corners of the Canon 16mm are not very sharp and I have gotten some bad flare at times, but I do like that it's F2.8
> But for now I will keep using my Nikon 10.5mm F2.8 hens for fast low light shots.
>
> With the Canon 8-15mm I can shoot 5 round @ 14mm (and I trimmed the hood so I don't have to remove it) or set it to 11mm for 4 shots round. I have even done 2 shots @ 8mm and it was not too bad. Here's an example of it.
> http://indiavrtours.com/vrphotos/2shots.html
> This was done on a pole, should be able to do better with a tripod.

123