PanoTools based Videostabilization

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

PanoTools based Videostabilization

PanoTools NG mailing list
I was looking for video stabilization software for my latest hobby (taking shaky videos from my bicycle) and noticed, that
 (a) existing tools did not work very well with the wide angle fisheye-type lenses of action cameras, and
 (b) that there are numerous successful attempts to use Panotools to stabilize videos.
 

 Problem with Panotools is, that a fixed (no-parallax) camera position is required. I reworked the optimizer to handle moving cameras, create and select suitable control points, and calculate a smoothed 3d-trajectory. Here is one example http://youtu.be/-m3fwhx3Z5g featuring a (favourable I think) comparison with existing stabilizer tools (mostly 2d-based), and another example http://youtu.be/7TA_Vgd9jSU of a hyperlapsed bicycle ride.
 

 Could get integrated in the mpremap framework. Also, being Panotools based it accepts any input lens type, including equirectangular panorama movies.
 

 Regards
 

 Helmut Dersch
 


 
 

 

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: PanoTools based Videostabilization

PanoTools NG mailing list
I am eagerly awaiting my GIROPTIC camera so that I can take videos on my bicycle (I live near a river with highly photogenic cycle paths along both banks). Doubtless they will be shaky videos! I look forward to using this new tool to smooth them. Great timing from my point of view!

Thank you, Professor Dersch!

Roger W

Sent from my iPad

> On Jan 19, 2015, at 6:01 AM, [hidden email] [PanoToolsNG] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>
>
> I was looking for video stabilization software for my latest hobby (taking shaky videos from my bicycle) and noticed, that
>
> (a) existing tools did not work very well with the wide angle fisheye-type lenses of action cameras, and
>
> (b) that there are numerous successful attempts to use Panotools to stabilize videos.
>
>
>
> Problem with Panotools is, that a fixed (no-parallax) camera position is required. I reworked the optimizer to handle moving cameras, create and select suitable control points, and calculate a smoothed 3d-trajectory. Here is one example featuring a (favourable I think) comparison with existing stabilizer tools (mostly 2d-based), and another example of a hyperlapsed bicycle ride.
>
>
> Could get integrated in the mpremap framework. Also, being Panotools based it accepts any input lens type, including equirectangular panorama movies.
>
> Regards
>
> Helmut Dersch
>
>  
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: PanoTools based Videostabilization

PanoTools NG mailing list
I wrote some tutorials recently on 360 video stabilization on Oculus forums -- including PTGui, but also using Blender and Videostitch and After Effects

 https://forums.oculus.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=18491 https://forums.oculus.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=18491

 

 the Giroptic camera has inbuilt stabilization I read but that will only do a partial job  I am sure -- rolling shutter distortion is a big problem for stabilization with those kinds of cameras
 

 PeterM
 


 

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: PanoTools based Videostabilization

PanoTools NG mailing list
I did buy a Sony A6000 after my GIROPTIC was on its way--it's been quite a long time coming--and I find it takes good video sequences even in my inexperienced hands. But it's not so convenient to mount on my bicycle helmet (British understatement). Rolling shutter also occurs with this camera, I believe, though I've not observed it yet.

Anyway, I am at home with PanoTools, which I briefly used before I found PTgui and continued to use for years to defish the images taken with my FSU fisheye. So hopefully the learning curve with the deshaker built upon it will be easily climbed.

Roger W

Roger

Sent from my iPad

> On Jan 19, 2015, at 10:13 AM, [hidden email] [PanoToolsNG] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>
>
> I wrote some tutorials recently on 360 video stabilization on Oculus forums -- including PTGui, but also using Blender and Videostitch and After Effects
>
> https://forums.oculus.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=18491
>
> the Giroptic camera has inbuilt stabilization I read but that will only do a partial job  I am sure -- rolling shutter distortion is a big problem for stabilization with those kinds of cameras
>
> PeterM
>  
>
>
>
>
>
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: PanoTools based Videostabilization

PanoTools NG mailing list
In reply to this post by PanoTools NG mailing list
Helmut,

The results look good.

Next step is to process images from a multicamera rig and also get rig of
rolling shutter to get more consistent seams.

Hope to see you discuss this at the IVRPA meeting in Prague this June.

Although I now use VideoStitch to take advantage of my graphics card to do the
heavy processing I am still probably the biggest pusher of using MPRemap.

Jim

On 2015-01-18 5:01 PM, [hidden email] [PanoToolsNG] wrote:

> I was looking for video stabilization software for my latest hobby (taking
> shaky videos from my bicycle) and noticed, that
>
> (a) existing tools did not work very well with the wide angle fisheye-type
> lenses of action cameras, and
>
> (b) that there are numerous successful attempts to use Panotools to stabilize
> videos.
>
> Problem with Panotools is, that a fixed (no-parallax) camera position is
> required. I reworked the optimizer to handle moving cameras, create and select
> suitable control points, and calculate a smoothed 3d-trajectory. Here is one
> example <http://youtu.be/-m3fwhx3Z5g> featuring a (favourable I think)
> comparison with existing stabilizer tools (mostly 2d-based), and another
> example <http://youtu.be/7TA_Vgd9jSU> of a hyperlapsed bicycle ride.
>
>
> Could get integrated in the mpremap framework. Also, being Panotools based it
> accepts any input lens type, including equirectangular panorama movies.
>
> Regards
>
> Helmut Dersch

--
Jim Watters
http://photocreations.ca

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: PanoTools based Videostabilization

PanoTools NG mailing list
In reply to this post by PanoTools NG mailing list
I had read your informative post at the oculus forum.  Re builtin stabilization: The Sony HDR-as100v I was using features builtin stabilization, but this severley reduces fov. It was turned off for the tests.
 Re rolling shutter:
 This is really something I was wondering about.
 1.The Sony has about 50% rolling shutter speed as measured by the method suggested on the deshaker website.
 2. My own code does no rs compensation. Any attempt I made created more damage than benefit.
 3. The other stabilizers of my test (After Effects, Deshaker, Youtube) all perform rs-compensation. In After Effects and Deshaker I could turn it off with little difference.
 

 My impression after hours of tests and seeing many processed videos is that what is sometimes attributed to rs is really distortion due to wrong stabilization. The mentioned stabilizers use 2d-operations which (with the exception of roll) do not correspond to any physical movement of the camera and hence introduce distortions. You can see these breathing-type distortions in my testvideo.