Panorama Tools plugin and modern versions of Photoshop

Panorama Tools plugin and modern versions of Photoshop

PanoTools NG mailing list
Hi all,

(Very) long time, no talk...
Somebody asked me about using PT plugin with recent versions of
Photoshop (he wants to create lampshades as described here:
http://www.philohome.com/lampshade/lampshade.htm) but he seems to be
unable to install plugin. Is it possible to do this installation or not?
If not, what is the most recent version of PS that supports PT plugin?

Thanks in advance,

Philo

Re: Panorama Tools plugin and modern versions of Photoshop

PanoTools NG mailing list
Hi Philo,

Instead of using the PT plugin in Photoshop it is much more convenient now to use PTGui for (almost) all of the work (I refer to the parameters used in your original article):

- load a 360 x 180 degree panorama in PTGui (scaled vertically 157 percent and then cropped to again to a 2 : 1 ratio)
- on the Lens Settings tab enter the pattern top angle A in the Horizontal Field of View field
- on the Panorama Settings tab enter Full Frame Fisheye in the Projection field and enter the hfov of generated fisheye image B in both the vertical and horizontal field of view fields
- on the Image Parameters tab enter –90 in the Pitch field (other fields remain at zero)
- choose whatever size of output you need on the Create panorama tab
That’s all.

This is a good opportunity to thank you very much indeed for your original work. It has truly inspired me and I have been creating many panorama spinoffs as a result of it.

Regards,

Arie de Ruiter

---------------------------------
Somebody asked me about using PT plugin with recent versions of
Photoshop (he wants to create lampshades as described here:
http://www.philohome.com/lampshade/lampshade.htm) but he seems to be
unable to install plugin. Is it possible to do this installation or not?
If not, what is the most recent version of PS that supports PT plugin?

Thanks in advance,

Philo

------------------------------------
Posted by: Philo <[hidden email]>

RE: Panorama Tools plugin and modern versions of Photoshop

PanoTools NG mailing list
And if you are doing this on a regular basis, save it as a project in PTGui
pointing to a dedicated folder, (such as your PTGui templates folder). Then,
all you have to do is save your original scaled image to that folder using a
consistent generic name, overwriting it each time you are creating another
lampshade. Once you have that set up, you can just fire up the PTGui batch
stitcher and load that project. In a little while, your output will be saved
in that same folder and you're all done.

This is how I do all my nadir and zenith patching. I've mentioned in the
past that I have a series of quick Photoshop actions that do all the behind
the scenes work so that I can create a nadir file, clone out the tripod,
then export that back out to the original sized pano, open it in Photoshop
and drop it on top of my original image. VERY painless.

Mark

  _____

Some quick coaching please.. Nikon 16mm f/2.8 D

PanoTools NG mailing list
Hi ... need some guidance quickly.. I have a friend that that has a 16mm Nikon f 2.8D lens along with a few other items that he's letting go of as he's in a jam.. I have a day to deciede if I want the 16.. the only place I would use it is for pano's but I think it a good lens.. I shoot FX not DX so this would really fit and the price is quiet fair I think.. As you can guess this wasn't a planned thing .. so a possible oppertunity. I think it should be a great lens...... anything I should know? Those that presently use it what is your process overview as I've never used a fish eye before. ..

thanx
jimbo

Re: Some quick coaching please.. Nikon 16mm f/2.8 D

PanoTools NG mailing list
Hi Jimbo,

For me, the 16mm is a fantastic combo with FX (I shoot with D800E). It is a bit more flare sensitive than the 10.5mm shaved but if you need the extra resolution it’s an easy decision. Especially for interiors and out of the bright sun.

Arie de Ruiter

Hi ... need some guidance quickly.. I have a friend that that has a 16mm Nikon f 2.8D lens along with a few other items that he's letting go of as he's in a jam.. I have a day to deciede if I want the 16.. the only place I would use it is for pano's but I think it a good lens.. I shoot FX not DX so this would really fit and the price is quiet fair I think.. As you can guess this wasn't a planned thing .. so a possible oppertunity. I think it should be a great lens...... anything I should know? Those that presently use it what is your process overview as I've never used a fish eye before. ..

thanx
jimbo

Re: Some quick coaching please.. Nikon 16mm f/2.8 D

I bought one to use with my D800E and love it. If the price is right I'd buy it.

Steve Sheridan
Sheridan Productions
[hidden email]
Cell: 817.975.2630
817.831.3902

Am 04.06.2014 09:24, schrieb Philo:

> (Very) long time, no talk...

Hello Philo! Nice to read you again! Welcome back!

> Somebody asked me about using PT plugin with recent versions of
> Photoshop (he wants to create lampshades as described here:
> http://www.philohome.com/lampshade/lampshade.htm) but he seems to be
> unable to install plugin. Is it possible to do this installation or not?
> If not, what is the most recent version of PS that supports PT plugin?

Jim Watters is maintaining the plugins at the moment. He even used to
have a beta version for 64 bit photoshop:
http://photocreations.ca/panotools/index.html

As for the lampshades I think this is the same projection as for
arc-shaped (Orientation plate) panoramas. There is a small how-to for
PTGui on http://wiki.panotools.org/Unusual_remappings

best regards

Re: Some quick coaching please.. Nikon 16mm f/2.8 D

How bad is the flare? Does it get much from interior lights? I have the older 15mm rectilinear which is one of my favorites (indoors)  but flare outdoors is an issue typically..  Are you suggesting one could shoot the 10.5 with an FX (just shave the hood) and get better results? Roughly what FOV on FX is achievable by shaving the 10.5.. just curious.... I'm still leaning towards the 16 as it's not gelded.. I too would be shooting the D800...
thanks

[...]

  No virus found in this message.

Re: Some quick coaching please.. Nikon 16mm f/2.8 D

Thanks.. It fairly priced so the way to go it's looking..

jimbo

Re: Some quick coaching please.. Nikon 16mm f/2.8 D

That is a hard question to answer objectively. Interior lights haven’t been much of a problem for me. If necessary just combine two shots with a small difference in yaw, etc. Outdoors it is the same except when in very bright sunlight. The shaved 10.5mm is definitely behaving better then and more easily corrected afterwards.
The fov of the 10.5mm shaved is approx. 180 degrees (for PTGui it is a circular fisheye but the image circle is wider than the width of the D800 sensor). The fov of the 16mm is approx. 90 degrees (PTGui recognizes it by default as a rectilinear lens, so you will have to set it to full-frame fisheye and store this in the lens database).
You won’t regret the 16mm acquisition!

Arie

How bad is the flare? Does it get much from interior lights? I have the older 15mm rectilinear which is one of my favorites (indoors)  but flare outdoors is an issue typically..  Are you suggesting one could shoot the 10.5 with an FX (just shave the hood) and get better results? Roughly what FOV on FX is achievable by shaving the 10.5.. just curious.... I'm still leaning towards the 16 as it's not gelded.. I too would be shooting the D800...
thanks

jimbo
  For me, the 16mm is a fantastic combo with FX (I shoot with D800E). It is a bit more flare sensitive than the 10.5mm shaved but if you need the extra resolution it’s an easy decision. Especially for interiors and out of the bright sun.

  Arie de Ruiter

Re: Panorama Tools plugin and modern versions of Photoshop

Thanks for the tips (and for your kind words ;)
PTgui seems indeed the way to go, I made a quick try and it does the
trick, easy and fast.

> Jim Watters is maintaining the plugins at the moment. He even used to
> have a beta version for 64 bit photoshop:
> http://photocreations.ca/panotools/index.html
I don't seem to be able to locate the 64bit version?

Thanks again,

Philo

Re: Some quick coaching please.. Nikon 16mm f/2.8 D

Thanks Arie,
I'm going to step off the curb today and pic up the lens.. Thanks to all of you I feel good about doing so.

Am 05.06.2014 14:23, schrieb Philo:
> Thanks for the tips (and for your kind words ;)

Never mind! You are one of the major heroes of the very beginnings.
PTGui still has a menu for the Philosphere and the Philopod is used by
many current panoramists. My words are too humble to honor you...

>> > Jim Watters is maintaining the plugins at the moment. He even used to
>> > have a beta version for 64 bit photoshop:
>> > http://photocreations.ca/panotools/index.html
> I don't seem to be able to locate the 64bit version?

I guess you need to ask him...

Re: Panorama Tools plugin and modern versions of Photoshop

Hi Philo,
Nice to read you again.

On 2014-06-05 9:23 AM, Philo [hidden email] [PanoToolsNG] wrote:
> Thanks for the tips (and for your kind words ;)
> PTgui seems indeed the way to go, I made a quick try and it does the
> trick, easy and fast.
Yes, this is probably the fast way.

>> Jim Watters is maintaining the plugins at the moment. He even used to
>> have a beta version for 64 bit photoshop:
>> http://photocreations.ca/panotools/index.html
> I don't seem to be able to locate the 64bit version?
Maintaining is too strong a word for something I have not updated in more than
two years.
There is a 64bit version that I have most of the functionality of the plugins
implemented. I am not advertising it on my site because it is not 100% complete,
but works for extracting and inserting partial views for patching. I believe
remap works too.

http://photocreations.ca/panotools/PTFilters_x64.zip
Unzip this file and copy the file to your 64bit plugin folder, by default here.
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins\Filters

--
Jim Watters
http://photocreations.ca

Re: Panorama Tools plugin and modern versions of Photoshop

PanoTools NG mailing list
Philo and Arie, I'm a PTGui user, fascinated by your conversation above.  Philo, I went and read your description of how to make a lampshade, and examined your spreadsheet.  I tried it in PTGUI, but failed, probably because I'm not following the instructions correctly, so I'd appreciate a little help please.

First, there are some things I don't understand:
1.  If my pano is 2:1, do I still have to scale the vertical dimension up by 157%?
2.  Can I use a rectilinear pano to start, or do I have to remap it to something else first?
3.  Will this work for pano's that are 2:1, but smaller than a 360 x 180 hemisphere?  Obviously I expect the seam won't match as it would for a 360 X 180.

I also had some difficulty entering the parameters into PTGUI, but I'll deal with those once I've cleared these other question up.

Regards
Lionel

Re: Panorama Tools plugin and modern versions of Photoshop

PanoTools NG mailing list
Hi Lionel,

Philo may want to correct me or add further comments:

Ad 1 and 2 - 157% (pi/2) is a (re)projection factor needed to get proper length/width image proportions on the lampshade surface. So, starting with your standard 360 x 180 equirectangular panorama, e.g., 8000 x 4000 px, resize only its height by 157%, then crop the resulting image again to this 2:1 proportion. Depending on the scene you might want to lower or raise the horizon at that time for a more pleasing result, e.g., in landscape scenes.

Ad 3 - This procedure remaps a surface, whatever image it contains, so, yes it will work but no guarantees that the result will please you! The PTGui procedure is so painless and quick, almost interactive, that you should try different kinds of images or panos for yourself if only for fun.

Success with your experiments,

Arie

Re: Panorama Tools plugin and modern versions of Photoshop

PanoTools NG mailing list
Well, I got it to work, so thanks very much for your assistance and patience.  Really appreciate the generosity both you guys displayed in sharing this information.

Regards
Lionel

Re: Panorama Tools plugin and modern versions of Photoshop

> Philo may want to correct me or add further comments:
> Ad 1 and 2 - 157% (pi/2) is a (re)projection factor needed to get proper
> length/width image proportions on the lampshade surface. So, starting
> with your standard 360 x 180 equirectangular panorama, e.g., 8000 x 4000
> px, resize /only/ its height by 157%, then /crop/ the resulting image
> again to this 2:1 proportion. Depending on the scene you might want to
> lower or raise the horizon at that time for a more pleasing result,
> e.g., in landscape scenes.

Yes exactly, the 157% value corrects for the lengthening occuring
because of projection. None that this value is exact only for mid-line
of a 360° panorama, top of the cone will still be compressed, and bottom
expanded - of course this is worse if the cone is very flat.

As for rectilinear source panos, it is not the best to create a
lampshade, since it won't be seamless because it doesn't cover 360°. The
correction factor is also different, for a A angle fov (degrees), you
need a vertical scaling of (180 x pi)/A.

> Well, I got it to work, so thanks very much for your assistance and patience.  Really appreciate the generosity both you guys displayed in sharing this information.
Glad you liked it and got it to work ;)

Philo

Re: Panorama Tools plugin and modern versions of Photoshop

Hi Jim,

> There is a 64bit version that I have most of the functionality of the plugins
> implemented. I am not advertising it on my site because it is not 100% complete,
> but works for extracting and inserting partial views for patching. I believe
> remap works too.
>
> http://photocreations.ca/panotools/PTFilters_x64.zip
> Unzip this file and copy the file to your 64bit plugin folder, by default here.
> C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins\Filters

Quite a lot of things seem to work fine ;)
Thanks, Jim!

Philo