Quantcast

Photoshop cs5

Richard
I just got Photshop CS5.
After a quick test, the "content-aware" feature works great on nadir shots to fill
the tripod area.

Re: Photoshop cs5

Trausti Hraunfjord
Carpets, sandy beach, gravel... that kind of nadir shots can be patched
problem free with the content aware fill, but if it becomes any more
complex, there will be much more work involved.  Still it is a big step up
the evolutionary ladder.  WHEN it works well (one out of 10 or so times), it
is impressive.

On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 8:45 AM, Richard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I just got Photshop CS5.
> After a quick test, the "content-aware" feature works great on nadir shots
> to fill
> the tripod area.

Re: Photoshop cs5

Richard
I tried the contact_aware fill on a oriental carptet and it did 98% well.
The other 2% I used the spot healing brush and got it to 100%

--- In [hidden email], Trausti Hraunfjord <trausti.hraunfjord@...> wrote:

> Carpets, sandy beach, gravel... that kind of nadir shots can be patched
> problem free with the content aware fill, but if it becomes any more
> complex, there will be much more work involved.  Still it is a big step up
> the evolutionary ladder.  WHEN it works well (one out of 10 or so times), it
> is impressive.
>
> On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 8:45 AM, Richard <rcgvt@...> wrote:
>

> > I just got Photshop CS5.
> > After a quick test, the "content-aware" feature works great on nadir shots
> > to fill
> > the tripod area.

Re: Photoshop cs5

Robert Slade
Richard wrote:

> I tried the contact_aware fill on a oriental carptet and it did 98% well.
> The other 2% I used the spot healing brush and got it to 100%

Can you show us the results please? A before/after JPG would be useful
to show how good the tool is at nadir patching.

Regards,
Rob

--
Robert Slade, Photographer
Manor Photography 07890 564889
http://www.manor-photography.com

Re: Photoshop cs5

Trausti Hraunfjord
I haven't tried patterns in carpets, only different tiles, and it was a
rather messy result.  The lines between the tiles did not match at all.  I
have done nothing beyond using a selection tool and hit delete, with content
aware selected (and also using spot healing brush tool with content aware
feature radio button selected)... and the tiles become a mess.

Here before/after images:

http://flashificator.com/1/Diverse/tilesBeforePSCA.jpg
http://flashificator.com/1/Diverse/tilesAfterPSCA.jpg

... far from being perfect.  For this particular one I used the lasso tool
to cut the logo out.

Trausti

On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 11:38 AM, Richard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I tried the contact_aware fill on a oriental carptet and it did 98% well.
> The other 2% I used the spot healing brush and got it to 100%

Re: Photoshop cs5

Greg Nuspel
Looks good I assume you have the images titled in reverse.
  I haven't tried patterns in carpets, only different tiles, and it was a
  rather messy result. The lines between the tiles did not match at all. I
  have done nothing beyond using a selection tool and hit delete, with content
  aware selected (and also using spot healing brush tool with content aware
  feature radio button selected)... and the tiles become a mess.

  Here before/after images:

  http://flashificator.com/1/Diverse/tilesBeforePSCA.jpg
  http://flashificator.com/1/Diverse/tilesAfterPSCA.jpg

  ... far from being perfect. For this particular one I used the lasso tool
  to cut the logo out.

  Trausti

  On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 11:38 AM, Richard <[hidden email]> wrote:

  > I tried the contact_aware fill on a oriental carptet and it did 98% well.
  > The other 2% I used the spot healing brush and got it to 100%

Re: Photoshop cs5

Woody Howard
Greg,

Trausti can correct me but I believe that they are labeled correctly.

It looks like he used a previously prepared nadir shot - with logo, as a
starting point. He then used the lasso tool to select the logo area and then
executed "delete, with content aware fill". What CS5 produced was the
jumbled second image.

Not very encouraging.

Woody

>>Looks good I assume you have the images titled in reverse.

Oops I miss read the post, I was hoping the reverse was true.

Re: Photoshop cs5

Trausti Hraunfjord
That's correct Woody.

With a jungle shot at first glance, without any additional editing, it might
be "la-la-ok":

http://flashificator.com/1/Diverse/IQjungle1Before_d.jpg
http://flashificator.com/1/Diverse/IQjungle1after_d.jpg

The "after" image is a little shy of 1mb... so you can zoom in on the fix...
and it becomes clear that it's not all that great.  I'm sure that one can
improve the results with different settings, and I'd like to know the
trick... if there is a trick available.

Trausti

On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 1:11 PM, Woody Howard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Greg,
>
> Trausti can correct me but I believe that they are labeled correctly.
>
> It looks like he used a previously prepared nadir shot - with logo, as a
> starting point. He then used the lasso tool to select the logo area and
> then
> executed "delete, with content aware fill". What CS5 produced was the
> jumbled second image.
>
> Not very encouraging.
>
> Woody

Re: Photoshop cs5

Richard
The best way to remove the logo is with the stamp tool set to ~100, normal and hardness to 0. Takes under a minute. Looks great.

--- In [hidden email], Trausti Hraunfjord <trausti.hraunfjord@...> wrote:

> That's correct Woody.
>
> With a jungle shot at first glance, without any additional editing, it might
> be "la-la-ok":
>
> http://flashificator.com/1/Diverse/IQjungle1Before_d.jpg
> http://flashificator.com/1/Diverse/IQjungle1after_d.jpg
>
> The "after" image is a little shy of 1mb... so you can zoom in on the fix...
> and it becomes clear that it's not all that great.  I'm sure that one can
> improve the results with different settings, and I'd like to know the
> trick... if there is a trick available.
>
> Trausti
>

> On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 1:11 PM, Woody Howard <newview@...> wrote:
>

> > Greg,
> >
> > Trausti can correct me but I believe that they are labeled correctly.
> >
> > It looks like he used a previously prepared nadir shot - with logo, as a
> > starting point. He then used the lasso tool to select the logo area and
> > then
> > executed "delete, with content aware fill". What CS5 produced was the
> > jumbled second image.
> >
> > Not very encouraging.
> >
> > Woody

Re: Photoshop cs5

Trausti Hraunfjord
Yes, that's true, and the way I have done things in PS CS3.  It's just that
the content aware feature is not as much aware as one was led to believe
from watching the pre-release videos.  It has it's place, no doubt about
that... but it still has space to be improved.

Trausti

On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 2:09 PM, Richard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The best way to remove the logo is with the stamp tool set to ~100, normal
> and hardness to

Re: Photoshop cs5

Wim Koornneef
If I am right then the content aware tool can also be used with healing brushes.
If so then this combination could be very useful to edit tripod shadows, are there any examples ?

Wim

Re: Photoshop cs5

Trausti Hraunfjord
http://flashificator.com/1/Diverse/pdaBefore.bottom.jpg
http://flashificator.com/1/Diverse/pdaAfter.bottom.jpg

Spot Healing Brush tool used on 2 tripod leg shadows.

On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 3:17 PM, Wim Koornneef <[hidden email]>wrote:

> If I am right then the content aware tool can also be used with healing
> brushes.
> If so then this combination could be very useful to edit tripod shadows,
> are
> there any examples ?
>
> Wim

Re: Photoshop cs5

Bjørn K Nilssen
On 2 May 2010 at 14:37, Trausti Hraunfjord wrote:

> Yes, that's true, and the way I have done things in PS CS3.  It's just that
> the content aware feature is not as much aware as one was led to believe
> from watching the pre-release videos.  It has it's place, no doubt about
> that... but it still has space to be improved.

I can't say that I'm very surprised ;)
It sounds like a variant of the Patch tool, which is quite useful in combination with
Stamp.

--
Bjørn K Nilssen - http://bknilssen.no - panoramas and 3D

Re: Photoshop cs5

Wim Koornneef
Hello Trausti,

Thanks for the images.
A comparison didn't impress me much, unfortunately a lot of details from the original image are gone in the edited one, see for example A and B in the comparison:

http://www.dmmdh.nl/forum_images/spot-healing_brushes.png

Do you think that this is the best that can be expected from the healing brush with content aware tool ?

I ask because for 3D panos it is hard if not impossible to edit the shadows of the tripod with a nadir patch or with the cloning tool, the individual left or right pano will look good after editing but when combining them to 3D even small and hardly visible differences of details in the images are causing a bad 3D experience.

Wim

Re: Photoshop cs5

Wim Koornneef
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Photoshop cs5

Wim Koornneef
Oops...
I thought my reply was gone after checking the link in the first reply but I was wrong so sorry for the double posting..
Wim

Re: Photoshop cs5

Trausti Hraunfjord
I did several more tests yesterday, and I have to conclude that even if the
content aware feature can be useful, it is far from being perfect.  The best
result I could get with it, was patching a zenith hole.  It managed to blend
the sky in an area ranging from clear darkish blue, to very bright area
close to the sun... but it did leave a crumbled paper look... trying to cut
out that wrinkle in the sky with any of the content aware tools, did however
not result in a fix.  The best solution turned out to be the Healing Brush
Tool.

I'm sure that some scenarios will be very good for the content aware
feature, and help save time, but it is sure as heck not as good as I hoped
it would be, after seeing the videos of it.

If small inconsistencies are cause for concern in 3D panos, I would ...
based on what little I have done with CS5... have to say that Content Aware
tool is not the saviour of patches and shadows and parallax errors.

Trausti