Quantcast

Portraits with Panotechnic

Daniel
Hallo

I try to make portraits with the panorama-technic.

For this an ABB Robot photographs a human face with a 180mm Macro Lens and a Canon 5D Mark ll. The reproduction scale is close to 1:1. The settings for camera movement are 20mm in the horizontal and 16mm in the vertical line. The framesize of the camera is 36x24mm. All pictures are numbered and exposed exactly line per line.

I tried to stitch tis pictures with different softwares.

Gigapan Stich: http://gigapan.org/gigapans/73665/   which is quite good because you define at the beginning the position of pictures (how many lines and columns), but you do not have the possibilities to make settings like planar etc.

AutoPano Giga: has problems to find connections-points in the background or skintones. but is not to bad.

PTGui Pro: Seems to have the bigest problems.. Or did I missed a special setting?

Screenshots of the results can be seen at the folowing link:

http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/12178085/2/pano_portraits_pp/software_evaluation_pp?h=290706

Does anybody has experiences with stitching this kind of panos. Is there a software wich I could tell the exact movement of the camera. it is precise 1/100 of milimeter.

This is just the beginning of bigger project...  Another topic would be how to focus on skin, where the canon autofocus does not find the focus point.

Thanks for any advice and support for this poject.

Daniel

Re: Portraits with Panotechnic

Christian Bloch-2
Wow, that looks phenomenal. Tack-sharp on the eyes, amazing.

I just did boring landscapes as big pano, but I noticed something silimar. So my workflow starts with APG, with the pre-alignment template thing, and then local optimizations. Much better alignment, much more interactive for man images. But for rendering (especially HDR blending), I trust only PTGui. The Vignette removal and color balancing is just better, IMHO. So I export from APG as Panotools file, and load that in PTGui for final render.

.Blochi

On Mar 27, 2011, at 2:59 AM, Daniel wrote:

> Hallo
>
> I try to make portraits with the panorama-technic.
>
> For this an ABB Robot photographs a human face with a 180mm Macro Lens and a Canon 5D Mark ll. The reproduction scale is close to 1:1. The settings for camera movement are 20mm in the horizontal and 16mm in the vertical line. The framesize of the camera is 36x24mm. All pictures are numbered and exposed exactly line per line.
>
> I tried to stitch tis pictures with different softwares.
>
> Gigapan Stich: http://gigapan.org/gigapans/73665/ which is quite good because you define at the beginning the position of pictures (how many lines and columns), but you do not have the possibilities to make settings like planar etc.
>
> AutoPano Giga: has problems to find connections-points in the background or skintones. but is not to bad.
>
> PTGui Pro: Seems to have the bigest problems.. Or did I missed a special setting?
>
> Screenshots of the results can be seen at the folowing link:
>
> http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/12178085/2/pano_portraits_pp/software_evaluation_pp?h=290706
>
> Does anybody has experiences with stitching this kind of panos. Is there a software wich I could tell the exact movement of the camera. it is precise 1/100 of milimeter.
>
> This is just the beginning of bigger project... Another topic would be how to focus on skin, where the canon autofocus does not find the focus point.
>
> Thanks for any advice and support for this poject.
>
> Daniel

Re: Portraits with Panotechnic

Bostjan Burger
It seems that the depth of field is the major problem with your project. I found
that problem with stitching gig pans of interiors and only the setting to F20-22
was ok for a small room. I solved the focusing on white wall or same wall
pattern with the laser pattern from the laser mounted nearby the lense
(http://cgi.ebay.com/6-1-5-Patterns-Green-Laser-Pointer-5-Star-Caps-/200574979993?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eb3334f99
 ). However I have no idea how to implement that to your example as the laser
beam is dangerous for eye.

:) Bostjan

________________________________

Am 27.03.2011 11:59, schrieb Daniel:
> PTGui Pro: Seems to have the bigest problems.. Or did I missed a
> special setting?

Any panorama stitching software is designed to stitch images shot from a
common viewpoint. This means you need to rotate the camera around a
certain point called the no-parallax-point (NPP). For details see
http://wiki.panotools.org/Parallax

If you move the camera sideways you always have to deal with parallax,
with one exception: If the lens is telecentric in object space there
won't be any parallax, since the NPP is at infinity behind the camera.
Unfortunately this is possible in macro photography only, since the
field of view is limited to the diameter of the lens:
http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1032
and
http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1472

However, PTGui can deal with parallel camera movements. One approach is
described on http://www.ptgui.com/support.html#5_6
another one requires to use viewpoint correction as described in
http://www.ptgui.com/examples/vptutorial.html but for all but the center
image.

> Does anybody has experiences with stitching this kind of panos. Is
> there a software wich I could tell the exact movement of the camera.
> it is precise 1/100 of milimeter.

You could write a PTGui project file (.PTS) which contains the positions
of all images. A .PTS file is a simple text file which can be edited
using any text editor. The "classical" positional parameters are Yaw,
Roll and Pitch which are angular. The syntax is derived from the
PTStitcher script one which is documented here:
http://wiki.panotools.org/PTStitcher#Example_Script

The better possibility would be viewpoint correction, since it accounts
for parallel movement. You would have to find out the usage of the
parameters on your own, they are not documented.

However, I'd suggest not to use parallel camera movement. A face is not
flat, hence you will have to face ( ;-) severe parallax errors if you
change viewpoint. Use a long or very long lens instead and rotate around
the no-parallax-point.

A note about telecentricity: I found out by chance that the Canon EF
100-400 L lens combined with a 2dpt (500mm) achromatic close up lens is
almost telecentric if focused to the near end at f=400mm.

best regards

Re: Portraits with Panotechnic

panovrx-2
Maybe  you could get a 3d model made of the face using images captured in the same photo session -- with this online service maybe ..
http://www.scannerkiller.com/extract_3d.html ($14 per "scan") -
.. and then map the "projected" images as blended textures on the mesh
like here -- then render out a super hi res view
 http://forums.cgsociety.org/archive/index.php/t%2520%253C/t-838419.html
 or look at these kind of papers
http://www.mendeley.com/research/masked-photo-blending-mapping-dense-photographic-data-set-on-highresolution-sampled-3d-models/
http://www.isprs.org/proceedings/XXXVI/5-W47/pdf/grammatikopoulos_etal.pdf

PeterM

--- In [hidden email], "Daniel" <dboschung@...> wrote:

> Hallo
>
> I try to make portraits with the panorama-technic.
>
> For this an ABB Robot photographs a human face with a 180mm Macro Lens and a Canon 5D Mark ll. The reproduction scale is close to 1:1. The settings for camera movement are 20mm in the horizontal and 16mm in the vertical line. The framesize of the camera is 36x24mm. All pictures are numbered and exposed exactly line per line.
>
> I tried to stitch tis pictures with different softwares.
>
> Gigapan Stich: http://gigapan.org/gigapans/73665/   which is quite good because you define at the beginning the position of pictures (how many lines and columns), but you do not have the possibilities to make settings like planar etc.
>
> AutoPano Giga: has problems to find connections-points in the background or skintones. but is not to bad.
>
> PTGui Pro: Seems to have the bigest problems.. Or did I missed a special setting?
>
> Screenshots of the results can be seen at the folowing link:
>
> http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/12178085/2/pano_portraits_pp/software_evaluation_pp?h=290706
>
> Does anybody has experiences with stitching this kind of panos. Is there a software wich I could tell the exact movement of the camera. it is precise 1/100 of milimeter.
>
> This is just the beginning of bigger project...  Another topic would be how to focus on skin, where the canon autofocus does not find the focus point.
>
> Thanks for any advice and support for this poject.
>
> Daniel

Re: Portraits with Panotechnic

Daniel
thanks for all the input.
I will evaluate all informations and let you know.
thanks again. that helps a lot.
daniel

--

Daniel Boschung
Fotografie + Konzepte

Tel: +41 44 883 13 23
Mail: [hidden email]
www.boschungfoto.ch

Re: Portraits with Panotechnic

bigwade
BTW don't call this Portraits, these are just face scans ;-)