Samyang 8mm

A Kielcz
Hello,
Will this lens work on D610 for shooting panoramas?
Thank you!

A Kielcz
Cincinnati, Ohio, U.S.A.

Re: Samyang 8mm

Zarl
That lens is made for crop sensors. You can set the D610 to shoot in 1.5
crop mode ("24x16""), though.

There is also the option to shave the lens hood if you have one of the
first 8 mm / f 3.5 series. I didn't try that yet.

There is a newer version of that lens that has a removable lens hood.
Try to get one of these. (Samyang 8mm f/3.5 UMC Fish-eye CS II)

It's a very nice lens, but don't trust the scale on the focus ring...
Make some test shots starting with the shortest distance to find the
point on the focussing ring where your lens has its infinity setting.

Cheers,
Carl

ps.
I'm pretty sure you will find some example panoramas on
worldwidepanorama.org shot with a full frame Nikon and the 8mm Samyang /
Walimex / Vivitar / ...

Posted by: "A Kielcz" on Fri Feb 7, 2014 1:57 pm ((PST))

> Hello,
> Will this lens work on D610 for shooting panoramas?

Re: Samyang 8mm

Mark D. Fink

Absolutely don't trust the focus scales on any of their lenses! I found out the hard way with a 35mm that I rented, and see that both my 14mm and 8mm have the same issues. I used this link to find out how to fix it so that I can reliably use hyperfocal settings when shooting.

Mark
That lens is made for crop sensors. You can set the D610 to shoot in 1.5
crop mode ("24x16""), though.

There is also the option to shave the lens hood if you have one of the
first 8 mm / f 3.5 series. I didn't try that yet.

There is a newer version of that lens that has a removable lens hood.
Try to get one of these. (Samyang 8mm f/3.5 UMC Fish-eye CS II)

It's a very nice lens, but don't trust the scale on the focus ring...
Make some test shots starting with the shortest distance to find the
point on the focussing ring where your lens has its infinity setting.

Cheers,
Carl

ps.
I'm pretty sure you will find some example panoramas on
worldwidepanorama.org shot with a full frame Nikon and the 8mm Samyang /
Walimex / Vivitar / ...

Posted by: "A Kielcz" on Fri Feb 7, 2014 1:57 pm ((PST))

> Hello,
> Will this lens work on D610 for shooting panoramas?

__._,_.___
.

__,_._,___

Re: Samyang 8mm

michel thoby

Le 9 févr. 2014 à 23:22, <[hidden email]> <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> Absolutely don't trust the focus scales on any of their lenses! I found out the hard way with a 35mm that I rented, and see that both my 14mm and 8mm have the same issues. I used this link to find out how to fix it so that I can reliably use hyperfocal settings when shooting.
>
> http://www.videofy.me/emadeloc/755452
>
> Mark
Mark, thank you very much for sharing this link.
I had found by myself the same way to mechanically set the focus scale ring at the correct position. I can confirm that it made me a happy user of the Samyang 14 mm for more than three years now.
I was inspired by Jeffrey R. Charles who had kindly taught us in 2009 how to solve the problem that similarly affects the Samyang 8 mm f3.5 fisheye lens. It is a simpler fix than for the rectilinear WA though:
http://www.versacorp.com/vlink/jcreview/sy8rv9jc.pdf

Best regards,

Michel Thoby