Select photos automatically

dexgosalzi
Hi

I like to automate my workflow to generate new panoramas. I found a lot of information how to automate on the wiki but they all have one big disadvantage for me: I have to collect all pictures out a a folder to stitch them together.

I imagine that I just start a script in a folder which contains all of my pictures from a trip (lets say 1000 pictures in total. 500 Single shots and the other 500  are parts of maybe 40 different panoramas). Than it should detect automatically which picture is part of a panorama and stitch it together.

Have any of you tried this once already, or has someone an idea which tools i should use?

In worst case I could write a script which checks the orientation of the images and the recording time. All images which are part of the panorama should have the same orientation (in my case they are 99% portrait) and the time between to pictures must be short. But this is not so elegant. It would be much cooler if it detects the number of matching points on two pictures and if the number is high enough the picture is part of a panorama if not the actual panorama is finished and could be created.

I hope it is clear about what I mean. Any input is welcome!

Regards,
Jonas

Re: Select photos automatically

Hans-74

--- In [hidden email], "dexgosalzi" <jonas.salzmann@...> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I like to automate my workflow to generate new panoramas. I found a lot of information how to automate on the wiki but they all have one big disadvantage for me: I have to collect all pictures out a a folder to stitch them together.
>
> I imagine that I just start a script in a folder which contains all of my pictures from a trip (lets say 1000 pictures in total. 500 Single shots and the other 500  are parts of maybe 40 different panoramas). Than it should detect automatically which picture is part of a panorama and stitch it together.
>
> Have any of you tried this once already, or has someone an idea which tools i should use?
>
> In worst case I could write a script which checks the orientation of the images and the recording time. All images which are part of the panorama should have the same orientation (in my case they are 99% portrait) and the time between to pictures must be short. But this is not so elegant. It would be much cooler if it detects the number of matching points on two pictures and if the number is high enough the picture is part of a panorama if not the actual panorama is finished and could be created.
>
> I hope it is clear about what I mean. Any input is welcome!

If you check PTgui Batch builder you have all options to separate images.
Unless you are taking each panorama with same time after each other as the single images in them.

Hans

--- In [hidden email], "Hans" <hans@...> wrote:

> --- In [hidden email], "dexgosalzi" <jonas.salzmann@> wrote:
> >
> > Hi
> >
> > I like to automate my workflow to generate new panoramas. I found a lot of information how to automate on the wiki but they all have one big disadvantage for me: I have to collect all pictures out a a folder to stitch them together.
> >
> > I imagine that I just start a script in a folder which contains all of my pictures from a trip (lets say 1000 pictures in total. 500 Single shots and the other 500  are parts of maybe 40 different panoramas). Than it should detect automatically which picture is part of a panorama and stitch it together.
> >
> > Have any of you tried this once already, or has someone an idea which tools i should use?
> >
> > In worst case I could write a script which checks the orientation of the images and the recording time. All images which are part of the panorama should have the same orientation (in my case they are 99% portrait) and the time between to pictures must be short. But this is not so elegant. It would be much cooler if it detects the number of matching points on two pictures and if the number is high enough the picture is part of a panorama if not the actual panorama is finished and could be created.
> >
> > I hope it is clear about what I mean. Any input is welcome!
>

> If you check PTgui Batch builder you have all options to separate images.
> Unless you are taking each panorama with same time after each other as the single images in them.
>
> Hans

Thanks Hans for yourquick answer. PTgui looks very interesting but there is a small problem that I had not mentioned before: I work with Linux...

Re: Select photos automatically

Mark D. Fink
This won't help you now, but in the future, try creating a new folder on
your camera for each pano. I do that with my Canon and it GREATLY simplifies
sorting and stitching.

Mark

Am 10.12.2012 16:57, schrieb dexgosalzi:
> I imagine that I just start a script in a folder which contains all
> of my pictures from a trip (lets say 1000 pictures in total. 500
> Single shots and the other 500  are parts of maybe 40 different
> panoramas). Than it should detect automatically which picture is part
> of a panorama and stitch it together.

Autopano pro should do that: http://www.kolor.com

Re: Select photos automatically

Zarl
Hi Jonas,

Hugin's batch processor does this: open PTBatcherGUI and from the menu
choose File: Search directory for...: Images

see also
<http://wiki.panotools.org/PTBatcherGUI#Image_sets_.28create_project_files.29>

The decision process is described here, the next step (searching for CPs
etc.) can also be automated.

Cheers,
Carl

Posted by: "dexgosalzi" on Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:57 am ((PST))

> I like to automate my workflow to generate new panoramas. I found a
> lot of information how to automate on the wiki but they all have one
> big disadvantage for me: I have to collect all pictures out a a
> folder to stitch them together.
>
> I imagine that I just start a script in a folder which contains all
> of my pictures from a trip (lets say 1000 pictures in total. 500
> Single shots and the other 500  are parts of maybe 40 different
> panoramas). Than it should detect automatically which picture is
> part of a panorama and stitch it together.

Re: Select photos automatically

giant_klobasa_monster

it's a good idea, mark.

I wonder how many people know you can create folders on your canon camera. it is a bit hacky to be sure, but it is very useful sometimes.

--- In [hidden email], "Mark D. Fink" <markdfink@...> wrote:

> This won't help you now, but in the future, try creating a new folder on
> your camera for each pano. I do that with my Canon and it GREATLY simplifies
> sorting and stitching.
>
> Mark

luca vascon-3
I do hate cameras that cannot do that. For me is one of the basics a
digital camera MUST be able to do.

2012/12/10 giant_klobasa_monster <[hidden email]>

> it's a good idea, mark.
>
> I wonder how many people know you can create folders on your canon camera.
> it is a bit hacky to be sure, but it is very useful sometimes.
>
> --- In [hidden email], "Mark D. Fink" <markdfink@...> wrote:
> >
> > This won't help you now, but in the future, try creating a new folder on
> > your camera for each pano. I do that with my Canon and it GREATLY
> simplifies
> > sorting and stitching.
> >
> > Mark

Luca Vascon.
--
www.lucavascon.net
Questa รจ la mia mail privata, la guardo di tanto in tanto.

www.officinepanottiche.com
www.nuovostudio.it