Some coaching please re image overlap

PanoTools NG mailing list
Hi I have a project that I'm doing and would like some input please.. Basically I'm reworking a Fotodiox 35m to 4x5 adapter.. So to keep it simple I will end up shooting two rows of 4 ... so 8 images.. No rotation of the camera is involved here. So once the image is composed it's just a matter of using this Gizmo to index the DSLR on the back of the 4x5 to acquire stitch-able images..
 So now my question.. What is the minimum image overlap I should shoot for so I don't shoot myself in the foot.. 15% ?
 I need to have some machining done to an adapter plate so I can use this thing. So the amount of image overlap in this case will play into it..

 Thanks

 jimbo

Re: Some coaching please re image overlap

PanoTools NG mailing list
jimbo...

Specifically to answer your 'how much overlap' question:  15% should be
fine...however it to some extent depends on what you are photographing.
There needs to be (within that 15%) identifiable pixels that the program
can use as it lines things up.  So, for example, if you are shooting lots
of water or snow or sky, or things that might have motion in them, 15% may
not be enough.

I've photographed and stitched many hundreds of panoramas.  When I have
stitching problems it is generally myself that I blame.

-Jim Coffee-

On 18 May 2016 at 06:34, [hidden email] [PanoToolsNG] <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi I have a project that I'm doing and would like some input please..
> Basically I'm reworking a Fotodiox 35m to 4x5 adapter.. So to keep it
> simple I will end up shooting two rows of 4 ... so 8 images.. No rotation
> of the camera is involved here. So once the image is composed it's just a
> matter of using this Gizmo to index the DSLR on the back of the 4x5 to
> acquire stitch-able images..
>
> So now my question.. What is the minimum image overlap I should shoot for
> so I don't shoot myself in the foot.. 15% ?
>
> I need to have some machining done to an adapter plate so I can use this
> thing. So the amount of image overlap in this case will play into it..
>

> Thanks
>

> jimbo

RE: Some coaching please re image overlap

It may depend on how homogenous your light is. You could probably get away with less if it’s completely perfect. Photoshop would probably work wonders anyway on the transitions.

I’m not sure what’s the best stitching for flat images. Probably photoshop.

Best Regards,

Sacha Griffin

http://www.seeit360.com <http://www.seeit360.com/>

http://twitter.com/SeeIt360

http://www.facebook.com/SeeIt360

IM: [hidden email]

Office: 404-551-4275

RE: Some coaching please re image overlap

Thanks Jim..

I realize that the content of the subject come into play here at times. So I need to be aware of that .. In this case buy rotating this concoction I’ll be preset up for another row.. If I am doing an image that I need more overlap on and I catch that I should be able to get it with a slight rise / fall adjustment in the 4x5.. My end goal is 4 rows and 4 columns.. which will shake out to an approximate 530 MP or so file.. I’ve been testing LR for stitching and am liking how that’s working..  as when assembled it’s still a raw so I can tweak the whole assembly then I can output as a PNG file.. so kinda slick..

[...]

No virus found in this message.

image001.jpg (580 bytes) Download Attachment
image002.jpg (494 bytes) Download Attachment
image003.jpg (456 bytes) Download Attachment