Stitching aerial images

Sylvain Rondi
Hello,

I'm a teacher from France and I'm working on a "challenge" for which
Panotool would be helpful I guess (I had use PanoTool several years ago
but I miss a recent experience with it).

Some weeks ago, I helped students from a high school here to launch a
stratospheric balloon with a camera taking photographs during the
flight. The balloon reached 32km height and the photos are stunning !
You can see some photos here :
http://pyrenees.entmip.fr/vie-de-l-etablissement/atelier-sciences/les-images-du-voyage-du-ballon-/les-images-du-voyage-du-ballon--29395.htm

The students would like to use the photos to make a timelapse movie with
all the photos from the flight.
The main problem is that the camera rotates under the ballon between
each frame, so the movie is not really nice : you can have a look at a
short part of the movie here :
http://www.astrosurf.com/rondi/partage/panotool/animation.mp4

So I guess we would need first to rotate the photos that way :

- comparison between image1.jpg and image2.jpg
- rotating image2.jpg the good angle and renaming it image2new.jpg
- comparison between image2new.jpg and image3.jpg
- rotating image3.jpg the good angle and renaming it image3new.jpg
- comparison between image3new.jpg and image4.jpg
- and so on ...

Do you think I'm right ?
And do you think this would be possible using Panotool with a batch
script ? (and with the help of image utilities such as ImageMagick - I'm
under Linux)

In order to show you clearly which kind of images we got, I uploaded
some photos here :
http://www.astrosurf.com/rondi/partage/panotool/

Thank you very much for you advices !
Regards,
Sylvain.

Re: Stitching aerial images

Bruno Postle
Hi Sylvain, this can be done, there is a nice Hugin example here:

https://gfycat.com/CriminalAromaticEsok

https://www.reddit.com/r/ImageStabilization/comments/1x7gwz/

(p.s Hi everybody, it's been a bit quiet around here lately)

--
Bruno

On 8 December 2017 08:28:40 GMT+00:00, Sylvain Rondi wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I'm a teacher from France and I'm working on a "challenge" for which
>Panotool would be helpful I guess (I had use PanoTool several years ago
>
>but I miss a recent experience with it).
>
>Some weeks ago, I helped students from a high school here to launch a
>stratospheric balloon with a camera taking photographs during the
>flight. The balloon reached 32km height and the photos are stunning !
>You can see some photos here :
>http://pyrenees.entmip.fr/vie-de-l-etablissement/atelier-sciences/les-images-du-voyage-du-ballon-/les-images-du-voyage-du-ballon--29395.htm
>
>The students would like to use the photos to make a timelapse movie
>with
>all the photos from the flight.
>The main problem is that the camera rotates under the ballon between
>each frame, so the movie is not really nice : you can have a look at a
>short part of the movie here :
>http://www.astrosurf.com/rondi/partage/panotool/animation.mp4
>
>So I guess we would need first to rotate the photos that way :
>
>- comparison between image1.jpg and image2.jpg
>- rotating image2.jpg the good angle and renaming it image2new.jpg
>- comparison between image2new.jpg and image3.jpg
>- rotating image3.jpg the good angle and renaming it image3new.jpg
>- comparison between image3new.jpg and image4.jpg
>- and so on ...
>
>Do you think I'm right ?
>And do you think this would be possible using Panotool with a batch
>script ? (and with the help of image utilities such as ImageMagick -
>I'm
>under Linux)
>
>In order to show you clearly which kind of images we got, I uploaded
>some photos here :
>http://www.astrosurf.com/rondi/partage/panotool/
>
>Thank you very much for you advices !
>Regards,

Re: Stitching aerial images

Peter Reimer
Hi,
Am 08.12.2017 um 11:08 schrieb Bruno Postle [hidden email] [PanoToolsNG]:
> Hi Sylvain, this can be done, there is a nice Hugin example here:
>
> https://gfycat.com/CriminalAromaticEsok

Wow. That's a creative use of hugin/panotools.

Maybe MPRemap 0.2 is also worth a try. It seems to be a special version
of Panorama Tools for 3D-Videostabilization from Helmut Dersch, the
original author of Panorama Tools. I have not used it myself though.

https://webuser.hs-furtwangen.de/~dersch/

> https://www.reddit.com/r/ImageStabilization/comments/1x7gwz/
>
> (p.s Hi everybody, it's been a bit quiet around here lately)

But still alive! The list will probably outlast the yahoo listserver ;)

Regards
Peter

Re: Stitching aerial images

Kathy Wheeler

> On 13 Dec. 2017, at 2:43 am, Peter Reimer [hidden email] [PanoToolsNG] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Am 08.12.2017 um 11:08 schrieb Bruno Postle [hidden email] [PanoToolsNG]:
>>
>> (p.s Hi everybody, it's been a bit quiet around here lately)
>
> But still alive! The list will probably outlast the yahoo listserver ;)

Yes … it’s amazing that it can be so quiet that every now and then someone asks if the list is still worth keeping alive. Then small voices speak up from all over the world, “yes we’re still here”.

Low volume, high quality - we don’t chat unless there’s something important, interesting or worthwhile discussing. The best sort of list IMHO.

May everyone have a happy and safe Christmas and New Year,
KathyW.

Re: Stitching aerial images

flavin
I Love this group.
Thanks to all who share their experiences.

Merry Christmas & a Prosperous New Year !

Frank Flavin
[hidden email]
Flavinphotography.com

Re: Stitching aerial images

Butt
   Yes ... low volume but high quality group. The best way to have it! Best wishes for a Happy Holiday Season.Ken Butt and Newfoundland Panoramas. http:\\newfoundlandpanoramas.com

Re: Stitching aerial images

Ignacio Ferrando Margelí-3
Bonjour Sylvain…

 ton problème est assez complexe… le problème est que c’est possible de faire ce compensation mais après tu devras couper les images pour avoir un encadrement et ça va finir avec un tout petit video…
 aussi, je suppose que quand le ballon sera plus haut les références pour bonnes points de contrôle serait plus difficiles à trouver

Je connais bien ça car j’ai fait un project similaire mais en Video360.. il a était publie cet anee par National Geographic

https://www.facebook.com/natgeo/videos/10154911012968951/

j’habite dans la vallée d’Aspe! pas tres loin de vous!

 cordialement

> El 8 dic 2017, a las 9:28, Sylvain Rondi [hidden email] [PanoToolsNG] <[hidden email]> escribió:
>
> Hello,
>
> I'm a teacher from France and I'm working on a "challenge" for which
> Panotool would be helpful I guess (I had use PanoTool several years ago
> but I miss a recent experience with it).
>
> Some weeks ago, I helped students from a high school here to launch a
> stratospheric balloon with a camera taking photographs during the
> flight. The balloon reached 32km height and the photos are stunning !
> You can see some photos here :
> http://pyrenees.entmip.fr/vie-de-l-etablissement/atelier-sciences/les-images-du-voyage-du-ballon-/les-images-du-voyage-du-ballon--29395.htm <http://pyrenees.entmip.fr/vie-de-l-etablissement/atelier-sciences/les-images-du-voyage-du-ballon-/les-images-du-voyage-du-ballon--29395.htm>
>
> The students would like to use the photos to make a timelapse movie with
> all the photos from the flight.
> The main problem is that the camera rotates under the ballon between
> each frame, so the movie is not really nice : you can have a look at a
> short part of the movie here :
> http://www.astrosurf.com/rondi/partage/panotool/animation.mp4 <http://www.astrosurf.com/rondi/partage/panotool/animation.mp4>
>
> So I guess we would need first to rotate the photos that way :
>
> - comparison between image1.jpg and image2.jpg
> - rotating image2.jpg the good angle and renaming it image2new.jpg
> - comparison between image2new.jpg and image3.jpg
> - rotating image3.jpg the good angle and renaming it image3new.jpg
> - comparison between image3new.jpg and image4.jpg
> - and so on ...
>
> Do you think I'm right ?
> And do you think this would be possible using Panotool with a batch
> script ? (and with the help of image utilities such as ImageMagick - I'm
> under Linux)
>
> In order to show you clearly which kind of images we got, I uploaded
> some photos here :
> http://www.astrosurf.com/rondi/partage/panotool/ <http://www.astrosurf.com/rondi/partage/panotool/>
>
> Thank you very much for you advices !
> Regards,
> Sylvain.

Re: Stitching aerial images

Sylvain Rondi

Hello everybody,

Thank you very much for your several answers !

Yes, the goal would be to obtain a similar video as the one with the skier, and also as the videos of stabilisations from Dersch website (I didn't know the recent results from him).

Reading the documentation, it seems that MPRemap version 0.2 doesn't work that way, and Helmut Dersch talks about a version 2 next upcoming. I'll investigate more closely...

If I get some results I'll let you informed of course.

Best regards,

Sylvain.

Le 13/12/2017 à 16:12, Ignacio Ferrando Margelí [hidden email] [PanoToolsNG] a écrit :

[...]

Posted by: Sylvain Rondi <[hidden email]>

.