Tea Party Panos

Ron Rack
I shot a couple panos at the Cincinnati Tea Party yesterday 4/15/09. See them here if you are interested:

http://www.rackphoto.com/panos/extra/ctpsite/ctp1.html

http://www.rackphoto.com/panos/extra/ctpsite/ctp2.html

thanks,

Ron Rack

rackphoto.com

Re: Tea Party Panos

Gerald Lodron
wow great shots,
can you give me a hint how you make such panos with such many humans included which were moving. I cannot see any stitching errors....

________________________________

Re: Tea Party Panos

Ron Rack
Gerald,
 Thanks for the comments. The people aren't moving that much, a lot of the difficulty comes from the fact that the camera is being hand held above my head. The camera, D300 w/10.5mm on Nodal Ninja3, is on a Manfrotto monopod extended all the way. The camera is set to point down 15 degrees on the NN3. I also use the cheap Phottix remote to activate the camera. I am taking 6 shots around with 1 up. I will shoot several times around before I do the up shot since there is no action in the up shot. There is retouching to be done which can be tedious depending on my luck/skill in taking the images, people moving etc. I will output PSD layers and work on the seams as best as I can. I haven't done a whole lot of these crowd panos so I am still learning
Thanks,

ron

--- In [hidden email], Gerald Lodron <gerald.lodron@...> wrote:

> wow great shots,
> can you give me a hint how you make such panos with such many humans included which were moving. I cannot see any stitching errors....
>

> ________________________________

Re: Re: Tea Party Panos

A Kielcz
It's amazing that NN3 can support D300.
where are you in Cincinnati?

--- In PanoToolsNG@ yahoogroups. com, Gerald Lodron <gerald.lodron@ ...> wrote:

> wow great shots,

> can you give me a hint how you make such panos with such many humans included which were moving. I cannot see any stitching errors....

> ____________ _________ _________ __

Re: Tea Party Panos

Ron Rack
I have used NN3 for my D200 and now I have a D300, no problem. My studio is downtown.

ron

--- In [hidden email], RobLee <roblee007@...> wrote:

> It's amazing that NN3 can support D300.
> where are you in Cincinnati?

Re: Tea Party Panos

Hans-74
--- In [hidden email], RobLee <roblee007@...> wrote:

> It's amazing that NN3 can support D300.
> where are you in Cincinnati?

Why would it not. There is no fixed Battery chamber on the D300

I used it for my Canon 5D and the 10,5 or the Canon 15mm and today with a 300N rotator replacing the original I also use it for my Tokina 10-17 which needs 97mm upper arm.

You can buy the new rotators and exchange the standard which means that the max on the upper arm will be around 105mm for  making a +90 degree zenith.

Hans

Re: Re: Tea Party Panos

Gerald Lodron
Quite interesting, I am also a newbe and bougt the panosaurus with D90 and Sigma 8mm 3.5. Hmm i think the next investition will be such a monopod, images from high above look great.

________________________________
Thanks for the comments. The people aren't moving that much, a lot of the difficulty comes from the fact that the camera is being hand held above my head. The camera, D300 w/10..5mm on Nodal Ninja3, is on a Manfrotto monopod extended all the way. The camera is set to point down 15 degrees on the NN3. I also use the cheap Phottix remote to activate the camera. I am taking 6 shots around with 1 up. I will shoot several times around before I do the up shot since there is no action in the up shot. There is retouching to be done which can be tedious depending on my luck/skill in taking the images, people moving etc. I will output PSD layers and work on the seams as best as I can. I haven't done a whole lot of these crowd panos so I am still learning

Thanks,

ron

--- In PanoToolsNG@ yahoogroups. com, Gerald Lodron <gerald.lodron@ ....> wrote:

> wow great shots,

> can you give me a hint how you make such panos with such many humans included which were moving. I cannot see any stitching errors....

> ____________ _________ _________ __

Re: Tea Party Panos

fatchai
hi Ron:
did you turn the monopod or the NN3 when you took the shots?
how did you maintain our monopod at the same spot?
cheers
fatchai

--- In [hidden email], Gerald Lodron <gerald.lodron@...> wrote:

> Quite interesting, I am also a newbe and bougt the panosaurus with D90 and Sigma 8mm 3.5. Hmm i think the next investition will be such a monopod, images from high above look great.
>

> ________________________________

Re: Tea Party Panos

Ron Rack
I tighten the NN3 down and turn the monopod. The more you do it the better you get at keeping the monopod somewhat in the same place.
ron

--- In [hidden email], "qsecofr88888" <fatchai@...> wrote:

> hi Ron:
> did you turn the monopod or the NN3 when you took the shots?
> how did you maintain our monopod at the same spot?
> cheers
> fatchai
>
> --- In [hidden email], Gerald Lodron <gerald.lodron@> wrote:
> >
> > Quite interesting, I am also a newbe and bougt the panosaurus with D90 and Sigma 8mm 3.5. Hmm i think the next investition will be such a monopod, images from high above look great.
> >

> > ________________________________

Re: Re: Tea Party Panos

Gerald Lodron
One more question: Is your monopod such long or did you hold the whole monopod into the air? Wouldnt it be better to construct a 3 meter monopod (does anybody know such a system)?

________________________________

--- In PanoToolsNG@ yahoogroups. com, "qsecofr88888" <fatchai@... > wrote:

> hi Ron:
> did you turn the monopod or the NN3 when you took the shots?
> how did you maintain our monopod at the same spot?
> cheers
> fatchai
>
> --- In PanoToolsNG@ yahoogroups. com, Gerald Lodron <gerald.lodron@ > wrote:
> >
> > Quite interesting, I am also a newbe and bougt the panosaurus with D90 and Sigma 8mm 3.5. Hmm i think the next investition will be such a monopod, images from high above look great.
> >

> > ____________ _________ _________ __

Re: Tea Party Panos

Hans-74
--- In [hidden email], Gerald Lodron <gerald.lodron@...> wrote:

> One more question: Is your monopod such long or did you hold the whole monopod >into the air? Wouldnt it be better to construct a 3 meter monopod (does anybody know >such a system)?

You can put 2 monopods together with some modifications but for doing panos over the head  from events like Ron did it is much easier to put the monopod in your belt or in a special holder in the belt. I use one of my  Sigma lens bags but I think you can buy some tool bags at a tool store.
You do not need to get very high up for a nice view. 2.5m is  nice height.

I also use a special Monopod-tripod as my standard setup with which I can reach 2,4m with one monopod and 3.8 m with 2.
http://www.panoramas.dk/panorama/tripod/monopod-tripod.jpg
http://www.panoramas.dk/panorama/nadir/

Hans

> ________________________________

Re: Tea Party Panos

jrgen_schrader
Oh, Hans ... you should tell us more about your secret Nadir potion. How much does it take to make Nadirs invisible :)

http://www.panoramas.dk/panorama/tripod/monopod-tripod.jpg

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Cheers
Jürgen

--- In [hidden email], "Hans Nyberg" <hans@...> wrote:

> --- In [hidden email], Gerald Lodron <gerald.lodron@> wrote:
> >
> > One more question: Is your monopod such long or did you hold the whole monopod >into the air? Wouldnt it be better to construct a 3 meter monopod (does anybody know >such a system)?
>
> You can put 2 monopods together with some modifications but for doing panos over the head  from events like Ron did it is much easier to put the monopod in your belt or in a special holder in the belt. I use one of my  Sigma lens bags but I think you can buy some tool bags at a tool store.
> You do not need to get very high up for a nice view. 2.5m is  nice height.
>
> I also use a special Monopod-tripod as my standard setup with which I can reach 2,4m with one monopod and 3.8 m with 2.
> http://www.panoramas.dk/panorama/tripod/monopod-tripod.jpg
> http://www.panoramas.dk/panorama/nadir/
>
> Hans
>

> > ________________________________

Re: Re: Tea Party Panos

DemonDuck
Drink enough of what's next to the camera bag and
almost everything disappears.... :-)

Juergen Schrader wrote:

> Oh, Hans ... you should tell us more about your secret Nadir potion. How much does it take to make Nadirs invisible :)
>
> http://www.panoramas.dk/panorama/tripod/monopod-tripod.jpg
>
> Sorry, couldn't resist.
> Cheers
> Jürgen
>

> --- In [hidden email], "Hans Nyberg" <hans@...> wrote:
>
>>--- In [hidden email], Gerald Lodron <gerald.lodron@> wrote:
>>
>>>One more question: Is your monopod such long or did you hold the whole monopod >into the air? Wouldnt it be better to construct a 3 meter monopod (does anybody know >such a system)?
>>
>>You can put 2 monopods together with some modifications but for doing panos over the head  from events like Ron did it is much easier to put the monopod in your belt or in a special holder in the belt. I use one of my  Sigma lens bags but I think you can buy some tool bags at a tool store.
>>You do not need to get very high up for a nice view. 2.5m is  nice height.
>>
>>I also use a special Monopod-tripod as my standard setup with which I can reach 2,4m with one monopod and 3.8 m with 2.
>>http://www.panoramas.dk/panorama/tripod/monopod-tripod.jpg
>>http://www.panoramas.dk/panorama/nadir/
>>
>>Hans
>>

>>>________________________________

luca vascon-2
Nice to know I'm not the only one who built things out of monopods..
recently I made a MONAPOD
That in Venice slang would sound like Idiot's Monopod...
Monopod crossed with a tripod.
You get most disadvantages of both,  including weight of both...
And some great advantages, indeed.

Very small footprint, expecially using 8mm on apsc.
Only one tool instead using 2...

Ken Warner ha scritto:

> Drink enough of what's next to the camera bag and
> almost everything disappears.... :-)
>
> Juergen Schrader wrote:
> > Oh, Hans ... you should tell us more about your secret Nadir potion.
> How much does it take to make Nadirs invisible :)
> >
> > http://www.panoramas.dk/panorama/tripod/monopod-tripod.jpg
> <http://www.panoramas.dk/panorama/tripod/monopod-tripod.jpg>
> >
> > Sorry, couldn't resist.
> > Cheers
> > Jürgen
> >

> > --- In [hidden email]
> <mailto:PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com>, "Hans Nyberg" <hans@...> wrote:
> >
> >>--- In [hidden email]
> <mailto:PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com>, Gerald Lodron <gerald.lodron@>

> whole monopod >into the air? Wouldnt it be better to construct a 3
> meter monopod (does anybody know >such a system)?
> >>
> >>You can put 2 monopods together with some modifications but for
> doing panos over the head from events like Ron did it is much easier
> to put the monopod in your belt or in a special holder in the belt. I
> use one of my Sigma lens bags but I think you can buy some tool bags
> at a tool store.
> >>You do not need to get very high up for a nice view. 2.5m is nice
> height.
> >>
> >>I also use a special Monopod-tripod as my standard setup with which
> I can reach 2,4m with one monopod and 3.8 m with 2.
> >>http://www.panoramas.dk/panorama/tripod/monopod-tripod.jpg
> <http://www.panoramas.dk/panorama/tripod/monopod-tripod.jpg>
> >>http://www.panoramas.dk/panorama/nadir/
> <http://www.panoramas.dk/panorama/nadir/>
> >>
> >>Hans

    mailto:[hidden email]
    mailto:[hidden email]

Re: Re: Tea Party Panos

DemonDuck
Sort of related -- I use monopods a lot and put an old SPH2 on
my monopod.  I go hiking some and a compact/monopod is easy on the back.

http://nodalninja.com/forum/index.php?topic=676.0

Luca N Vascon wrote:

> Nice to know I'm not the only one who built things out of monopods..
> recently I made a MONAPOD
> That in Venice slang would sound like Idiot's Monopod...
> Monopod crossed with a tripod.
> You get most disadvantages of both,  including weight of both...
> And some great advantages, indeed.
>
> Very small footprint, expecially using 8mm on apsc.
> Only one tool instead using 2...
>

> Ken Warner ha scritto:
>

>>Drink enough of what's next to the camera bag and
>>almost everything disappears.... :-)
>>
>>Juergen Schrader wrote:
>>
>>>Oh, Hans ... you should tell us more about your secret Nadir potion.
>>
>>How much does it take to make Nadirs invisible :)
>>
>>>http://www.panoramas.dk/panorama/tripod/monopod-tripod.jpg
>>
>><http://www.panoramas.dk/panorama/tripod/monopod-tripod.jpg>
>>
>>>Sorry, couldn't resist.
>>>Cheers
>>>Jürgen
>>>

>>>--- In [hidden email]

>><mailto:PanoToolsNG%40yahoogroups.com>, Gerald Lodron <gerald.lodron@>

>>whole monopod >into the air? Wouldnt it be better to construct a 3
>>meter monopod (does anybody know >such a system)?

>>doing panos over the head from events like Ron did it is much easier
>>to put the monopod in your belt or in a special holder in the belt. I
>>use one of my Sigma lens bags but I think you can buy some tool bags
>>at a tool store.

>>height.

>>I can reach 2,4m with one monopod and 3.8 m with 2.

>><http://www.panoramas.dk/panorama/tripod/monopod-tripod.jpg>

>><http://www.panoramas.dk/panorama/nadir/>

mc-2
Quoting Luca N Vascon <[hidden email]>:

> Nice to know I'm not the only one who built things out of monopods..
> recently I made a MONAPOD
> That in Venice slang would sound like Idiot's Monopod...
> Monopod crossed with a tripod.
> You get most disadvantages of both,  including weight of both...
> And some great advantages, indeed.
I made a threaded bung that went in the bottom of the monopod and screwed a
desktop tripod into that. I rececently destroyed that little tripod and would
like to find another tripod  with about 1 foot length legs. suggestions welcome.

mick

Re: Tea Party Panos

Hans-74
--- In [hidden email], Luca N Vascon <vascon@...> wrote:

> Nice to know I'm not the only one who built things out of monopods..
> recently I made a MONAPOD
> That in Venice slang would sound like Idiot's Monopod...
> Monopod crossed with a tripod.
> You get most disadvantages of both,  including weight of both...
> And some great advantages, indeed.
>
> Very small footprint, expecially using 8mm on apsc.
> Only one tool instead using 2...

Welcome to the club.
Perhaps I should call it a "Gondolapod" as it was originally designed for a Gondolatour.
http://www.vrmag.org/vartist/spotlight/SHOOTING_PANOS_FROM_A_GONDOLA_IN_VENICE.html

http://www.panoramas.dk/panorama/nadir/

Hans

Re: Tea Party Panos

Zarl
Hi Mick,

my suggestion would be the Magic Ball from Novoflex together with the
extension parts:
<http://www.novoflex.com/en/products/tripods/macro-tripods/basicball/> I
used that tripod for several of my wwp contributions. It's very sturdy
and fits almost everywhere :-) :
<http://azurevision.co.uk/venice-05/pictures/2005-08-05_08-39-31.html>
(this is from Ian's still photo gallery of the 2005 Venice meeting, the
next meeting is already announced on panotools-meeting.com ...hint, hint)

Carl

> I rececently destroyed that little tripod and would
> like to find another tripod  with about 1 foot length legs. suggestions welcome.

Re: Tea Party Panos

fatchai
hi Carl:
the Novoflex website mentioned that only the Novoflex telescope rods
can fit into the magic ball. however i can't find the telescope rods item from their website? may i know how does it look like for the rods? must i buy it if i want to use the magic ball? the three legs from the magic ball looks quit thin, how many wight can it support.
cheers
fatchai

--- In [hidden email], Carl von Einem <einem@...> wrote:

> Hi Mick,
>
> my suggestion would be the Magic Ball from Novoflex together with the
> extension parts:
> <http://www.novoflex.com/en/products/tripods/macro-tripods/basicball/> I
> used that tripod for several of my wwp contributions. It's very sturdy
> and fits almost everywhere :-) :
> <http://azurevision.co.uk/venice-05/pictures/2005-08-05_08-39-31.html>
> (this is from Ian's still photo gallery of the 2005 Venice meeting, the
> next meeting is already announced on panotools-meeting.com ...hint, hint)
>
> Carl
>
> crane wrote:
> > I rececently destroyed that little tripod and would
> > like to find another tripod  with about 1 foot length legs. suggestions welcome.

Re: Tea Party Panos

petter51
Great shots buddy, Can you please also share some options for best happy hour nyc venue? I am very excited for the party and so I want to reserve the perfect venue for that. Please help me if you know something that suits my needs.