Quantcast

The positive impact of iOS 5 on the quality of iPad panos

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

The positive impact of iOS 5 on the quality of iPad panos

Wim Koornneef
Hello Group,

I posted an article about my findings of iOS5 with Pano2VR on the Pano2VR forum but I guess they could be also valid for other pano apps so that is why I post a pointer to the article here.

http://gardengnomesoftware.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6812

Wim
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: The positive impact of iOS 5 on the quality of iPad panos

Hans-74


--- In [hidden email], Wim Koornneef <wim.koornneef@...> wrote:

>
> Hello Group,
>
> I posted an article about my findings of iOS5 with Pano2VR on the Pano2VR
> forum but I guess they could be also valid for other pano apps so that is
> why I post a pointer to the article here.
>
> http://gardengnomesoftware.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6812
>
> Wim

Sorry but can you explain what you talk about here.
"The number of panos with tiles of 960px that can be open in the tabs is now 5 without crashing Safari Mobile (was 1 in iOS 4.3.2)"

What is it you call tabs? Is it the 9 thumb bookmarks in the Safari Browser?
Those are not real tabs, you are actually always reloading pages with heavy content like panoramas if  you bookmark with them.

I have no problem filling them all 9 up with 1024x1024 KRpano pages without any crashing. Safari keeps it all handled well in that case without crashing. But they will have to be reloaded when you open them. Try to load a page from CNN with a video. Save it in the  thumb bookmarks. As long as you do not load another page with heavy content you can load it again without reloading. but if you load for example a panorama the content is gone and you have to reload the video.

If you want real tabs use Atomicweb. It can load 2 KRpano 1024x1024 panos in tabs with instant switching between them. If you load no 3 it crashes.

If you can only load 1 960 Pano2VR  it is not a bug in IOS or Safari but in Pano2VR.

I have not updated to IOS 5 yet mainly because the very large update problems that has been reported.
Unfortunately there is no detection system in Analytics for the IOS systems so there is no way to se how many visitors have updated.

Hans




> --
> View this message in context: http://panotoolsng.586017.n4.nabble.com/The-positive-impact-of-iOS-5-on-the-quality-of-iPad-panos-tp3901492p3901492.html
> Sent from the PanoToolsNG mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: The positive impact of iOS 5 on the quality of iPad panos

Wim Koornneef
Hans-74 wrote
...Sorry but can you explain what you talk about here.......
Hello Hans,

My posting was just to redirect people to the Pano2VR article to avoid a cross posting and discussions scattered on multiple places.

I suggest -after- you have installed iOS5, that you post your own findings on the Pano2VR forum.
(after installing it will be clear what I mean with tabs and how you can switch between panos in micro seconds)

Best,
Wim
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: The positive impact of iOS 5 on the quality of iPad panos

Hans-74


--- In [hidden email], Wim Koornneef <wim.koornneef@...> wrote:

>
>
> Hans-74 wrote:
> > ...Sorry but can you explain what you talk about here.......
>
> Hello Hans,
>
> My posting was just to redirect people to the Pano2VR article to avoid a
> cross posting and discussions scattered on multiple places.
>
> I suggest -after- you have installed iOS5, that you post your own findings
> on the Pano2VR forum.
> (after installing it will be clear what I mean with tabs and how you can
> switch between panos in micro seconds)


I can see that IOS 5 has real tabs like the Atomic Web has  but I also read that it does reload memory hungry pages just like the old  9 tab thumbs.
Atomic Web does not do that but it crashes as I said when you load No 3 KRpano pano.

And sorry I do not see why we should not discuss it here as it has probably effects also on other viewers.
I do not think Thomas likes  that I post on his forum about how good Krpano works and the bugs he has in Pano2VR that has made it much more sensible to crashes due to low memory.

Hans




>
> Best,
> Wim
>
>
> --
> View this message in context: http://panotoolsng.586017.n4.nabble.com/The-positive-impact-of-iOS-5-on-the-quality-of-iPad-panos-tp3901492p3907483.html
> Sent from the PanoToolsNG mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: The positive impact of iOS 5 on the quality of iPad panos

Wim Koornneef
This post was updated on .
Hans-74 wrote
....I can see that IOS 5 has real tabs like the Atomic Web has  but I also read that it does reload memory hungry pages just like the old  9 tab thumbs.....
Zucht..

Hans,

Again I suggest that you -first- install iOS5 and experience the differences yourself.
Espacially for you I made this short clip with 5 running and rotating panos with 960px tiles
(within a few days it will be removed)

http://www.dmmdh.nl/forum_images/ios5_p2vr_demo_/5_panos.html

Best,
Wim
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: The positive impact of iOS 5 on the quality of iPad panos

Wim Koornneef
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: The positive impact of iOS 5 on the quality of iPad panos

Wim Koornneef
Please ignore the empty msg above...
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: The positive impact of iOS 5 on the quality of iPad panos

Hans-74
In reply to this post by Wim Koornneef


--- In [hidden email], Wim Koornneef <wim.koornneef@...> wrote:

>
>
> Hans-74 wrote:
> > ....I can see that IOS 5 has real tabs like the Atomic Web has  but I also
> > read that it does reload memory hungry pages just like the old  9 tab
> > thumbs.....
>
> Zucht..
>
> Hans,
>
> Again I suggest that you -first- install iOS5 yourself and experience the
> differences yourself.
> Espacially for you I made this short clip with 5 running and rotating panos
> with 960px tiles
> (within a few days it will be removed)
>
> http://www.dmmdh.nl/forum_images/ios5_p2vr_demo_/5_panos.html

I tried some of you panoramas on my iPad and as you say they also crash the Safari when you load the second. But in Atomic Web  I can load 2 of them just as I can with mine and switch between them.

Hans




>
> Best,
> Wim
>
>
> --
> View this message in context: http://panotoolsng.586017.n4.nabble.com/The-positive-impact-of-iOS-5-on-the-quality-of-iPad-panos-tp3901492p3907781.html
> Sent from the PanoToolsNG mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: The positive impact of iOS 5 on the quality of iPad panos

Wim Koornneef
Hans-74 wrote
-----I tried some of you panoramas on my iPad and as you say they also crash the Safari when you load the second. But in Atomic Web  I can load 2 of them just as I can with mine and switch between them.....
Hans this is not about 1 or 2 panos in Safari or 2 in Atomic Web, what matters is that there is a leap in the numbers of panos that Safari can handle in iOS5.

This is about **5 running and rotating panos that instantly are showed when switched**
This is ONLY possible with iOS 5 and to bring this under everyones attention was the sole purpose of posting.

Have a nice weekend,
Wim


Loading...