USB over TCP/IP

luca vascon-3
I'm in the situation I need to remote from a remoted remote....
:-D
Ok, it is more than 100m and I need to tether a Canon camera competely.
I was wandering if any of you ever tried a USB over network solution.
There are many things like USB"claimed" 2.0 4 ports hubs that connect over
network to a RJ45. None of these being wireless...
The claim is that you plug the thing on a network and you will be able to
see whatever USB you plug as an USB resource.

My backup solution is to put a small old laptop or netbook on every remoted
camera and connect there with VNC.

Am I the first who tries?!

--
Luca Vascon.

www.officinepanottiche.com
www.nuovostudio.it

Re: USB over TCP/IP

jmparatte
Hi Luca,

Here is a true "USB over Ethernet Hub" operating with USB 2.0 :
http://www.bb-elec.com/Products/USB-Connectivity/USB-Over-Ethernet/USB-Over-Ethernet.aspx

jmP

Le 06.04.2013 14:32, Luca Vascon a écrit :

> I'm in the situation I need to remote from a remoted remote....
> :-D
> Ok, it is more than 100m and I need to tether a Canon camera competely.
> I was wandering if any of you ever tried a USB over network solution.
> There are many things like USB"claimed" 2.0 4 ports hubs that connect
> over network to a RJ45. None of these being wireless...
> The claim is that you plug the thing on a network and you will be able
> to see whatever USB you plug as an USB resource.
>
> My backup solution is to put a small old laptop or netbook on every
> remoted camera and connect there with VNC.
>
> Am I the first who tries?!
>

> --
> Luca Vascon.
> --
> www.lucavascon.net <http://www.lucavascon.net>
> Questa è la mia mail privata, la guardo di tanto in tanto.
> Se volete parlarmi di lavoro, contattatemi attraverso i siti qui sotto.
>
> www.officinepanottiche.com <http://www.officinepanottiche.com>
> www.nuovostudio.it <http://www.nuovostudio.it/>

Re: USB over TCP/IP

luca vascon-3
Yep!
I found many brands... But did you ever tried one? They go fro 70 to 350
euros... I can find a laptop for 280, something more than a netbook, so I'm
still not able to decide...
:-/

Re: USB over TCP/IP

Aldo Hoeben
Note that this is USB over Cat5 (or Cat5e, or Cat6), which is not the same as USB over TCP/IP. These products basically amplify the USB signals and push them over the wires of a cable-that-you-could-also-use-for-networking. It is very likely that you can not run the USB signals and network traffic over the same cable concurrently, and things like routers or hubs will not work to distribute the USB signals.

These products work, as long as you use decent cables. But depending on your needs I would go with a Raspberry PI or Arduino close to the camera.

Re: USB over TCP/IP

Aldo Hoeben
Spoke a little too soon... The bb-elec product actually looks like it works specifically over IP, which is more an exception than the rule. Looks like it may support a limited selection of devices though, because the devices will not connect directly to your computer but instead they will be connected to an embedded microcontroller on the "hub".

Re: USB over TCP/IP

Zarl

Helmut Dersch wrote about a "LAN/WLAN Interface for Digital Cameras" in 2005:
http://webuser.fh-furtwangen.de/~dersch/gphoto/remote.html

How about that idea?

Carl

--- In [hidden email], "Aldo Hoeben" wrote:

> Spoke a little too soon... The bb-elec product actually looks
> like it works specifically over IP, which is more an exception
> than the rule. Looks like it may support a limited selection
> of devices though, because the devices will not connect
> directly to your computer but instead they will be connected
> to an embedded microcontroller on the "hub".

Re: USB over TCP/IP

jmparatte
The bb-elec product is a true USB bridge over IP protocol, not simply an
extended USB cable with a RJ-45 cable.
This product can be integrated in a network, not the other low cost
solutions.
In my opinion, I think this could be a perfect solution but need to be
verified...

jmP

Le 07.04.2013 18:57, Jean-Marc Paratte a écrit :

> Hi Luca,
>
> Here is a true "USB over Ethernet Hub" operating with USB 2.0 :
> http://www.bb-elec.com/Products/USB-Connectivity/USB-Over-Ethernet/USB-Over-Ethernet.aspx
>
> jmP
>
> Le 06.04.2013 14:32, Luca Vascon a écrit :
>> I'm in the situation I need to remote from a remoted remote....
>> :-D
>> Ok, it is more than 100m and I need to tether a Canon camera competely.
>> I was wandering if any of you ever tried a USB over network solution.
>> There are many things like USB"claimed" 2.0 4 ports hubs that connect
>> over network to a RJ45. None of these being wireless...
>> The claim is that you plug the thing on a network and you will be
>> able to see whatever USB you plug as an USB resource.
>>
>> My backup solution is to put a small old laptop or netbook on every
>> remoted camera and connect there with VNC.
>>
>> Am I the first who tries?!
>>

>> --
>> Luca Vascon.
>> --
>> www.lucavascon.net <http://www.lucavascon.net>
>> Questa è la mia mail privata, la guardo di tanto in tanto.
>> Se volete parlarmi di lavoro, contattatemi attraverso i siti qui sotto.
>>
>> www.officinepanottiche.com <http://www.officinepanottiche.com>
>> www.nuovostudio.it <http://www.nuovostudio.it/>

Re: USB over TCP/IP

jmparatte
Hi Carl,

This 2005 idea is like an "intervalometer" coupled with a storage. As
sayed by Luca, he can use a 2013 low cost laptop to do the same, and use
a VNC software to remote control the camera.

Another way could be an Arduino microcontroller, exception of the
storage function and full remote controlled operations of the camera.
What is interresting with an Arduino is that you can control the remote
shutter with a lot of sensors.

jmP

Am 08.04.2013 21:41, schrieb Jean-Marc Paratte:
> Another way could be an Arduino microcontroller, exception of the
> storage function and full remote controlled operations of the camera.
> What is interresting with an Arduino is that you can control the remote
> shutter with a lot of sensors.

In fact there are even more possibilities. Especially full remote
control via Android devices:
http://wiki.panotools.org/Extended_bracketing_control
See: Android apps direct USB control

I think Luca is well aware of this, since he contributed to the wiki
article...

Re: USB over TCP/IP

luca vascon-3
I was thinking about, but I need a very stable out of the box thing, and
I'm not able to fiddle about with linux...
:-)

Helmut Dersch wrote about a "LAN/WLAN Interface for Digital Cameras" in
> 2005:
> http://webuser.fh-furtwangen.de/~dersch/gphoto/remote.html
>
> How about that idea?
>
> Carl

Re: USB over TCP/IP

luca vascon-3
THANK YOU TO EVERYBODY!!!
:-)
Yess, I was looking for:
USB EXTENDER. It is an amplifier that boosts usb signal to usb port through
RJ45 cable.
This solution is expensive for usb2.0, less expensive for usb1.0. I'd use a
cat6 cable. From 30-40 euros to 250-350.
But it is clean and transparent.
USB OVER IP is a microcontroller, like a small computer that takes usb
signal and envelopes it under a TCP/IP protocol. It is only one element,
the other element is a software, unwrapping things inside your PC. It is
less clean and less transparent. Costs may vary, from 100 to 350 euros.
I'm still thinking I'd better to throw in a pair of old laptops.
But a won a cheap auction of a dlink usb-over tcp/ip to give it a try!
;-)