Unstitching a panorama

Artkadet
I need to unstitch and correct for perspective a 100 year-old panorama.  Does anyone know of any tools that can do that?  By unstitch, I mean to arbitrarily or by direction cut a 4x3 aspect-ratio image out of the panorama, and to correct the image such that it approximates a single image taken with a standard camera as if the panorama were made up of stitched images.  Thanks!

Re: Unstitching a panorama

Sacha Griffin
Pretty straightforward.. with ptgui or hugin.. add the image as a 360
cylinder and export as rectalinear. Either of those two software can handle
it for you.

--

Best Regards,

Sacha Griffin

http://www.seeit360.com

http://twitter.com/SeeIt360

http://www.facebook.com/SeeIt360

IM: [hidden email]

Office: 404-551-4275

Re: Unstitching a panorama

keith
As Sacha says, pretty straightforward.

 Tools I have that cold do this are PTGui and Pano2VR, though they do cost something to buy of course.

 Another option might be the fairly new Affinity Photo. It's a reasonably priced Photoshop replacement which happens to have a range of 360 pano / equirectangular image editing functions. I haven't used it much in anger yet though

 Regards,

 Keith
  www.fachwen.org

Re: Unstitching a panorama

John Houghton
There's no reason to suppose that the 100 year old panorama covers a full 360 degrees. It is more likely to be less (or even more, though that should be obvious).  The free Hugin stitcher can be used to extract the required rectilinear view, but the correct panorama angle of view must be estimated for this to give correct perspectives.  This can be done visually, but If there are any major straight line features present then straight line control points can be employed to get those straight by optimizing the lens (panorama) fov. Vertical cropping may need to be dealt with, too, in order to correctly position the horizon.  So the ease with which this task can be accomplished will depend very much on the content of the panorama.