Quantcast

Updating Prof. Dr. Dersch's PTViewerNG WebGL example for Firefox 4 beta 8 ?

Updating Prof. Dr. Dersch's PTViewerNG WebGL example for Firefox 4 beta 8 ?

Jan Martin-2
Hi all,

I noticed that the WebGL demo page at

http://webuser.hs-furtwangen.de/~dersch/PTViewerNG/PTViewerNG.html

does not work anymore with Firefox 4.0 beta 8 (on Ubuntu 10.4).

So far I replaced 2 strings:
WebGLFloatArray with Float32Array
and
WebGLUnsignedShortArray with Uint16Array

which seem to help.

API changes: http://learningwebgl.com/blog/?p=2566

But I am still getting another error 6 times (From the 6 cube faces?):

09:31:33.943: Exception: uncaught exception: [Exception... "Not enough
arguments"  nsresult: "0x80570001 (NS_ERROR_XPC_NOT_ENOUGH_ARGS)"  location:
"JS frame ::
http://www.diy-streetview.org/data/development/20110104/js/ptviewerng.js ::
handleLoadedTexture :: line 132"  data: no] Source File:  Line: 0, Column: 0
Category: content javascript

CODE:
130       function handleLoadedTexture(image, texture) {
131        gl.bindTexture(gl.TEXTURE_2D, texture);
132        gl.texImage2D(gl.TEXTURE_2D, 0, image);

Whats wrong?

Please find my test page here:
http://www.diy-streetview.org/data/development/20110104/PTViewerNG.html

1.5 MB zip file including everything:
http://diy-streetview.org/data/development/20110104/webGL_for_FF40b8.zip

When opening the page with Google Chromium 10.0.625.0 (70292) Ubuntu 10.04

I get this error:
ERROR: 0:2: '' : No precision specified for (float)
Could not initialise shaders

Help please?

Thanks,
Jan

Re: Updating Prof. Dr. Dersch's PTViewerNG WebGL example for Firefox 4 beta 8 ?

Wim Koornneef
Hello Jan,

It will not help you much but on my system with OSX 10.6.5 and Minefield browser (beta for FireFox) both demo WebGL panos are running fine. You tried it with 2 different browsers so I guess the errors you get are related with Ubuntu 10.4. Unfortunately I can't help you with Linux related issues.

Success in solving this issue,
Wim

Re: Updating Prof. Dr. Dersch's PTViewerNG WebGL example for Firefox 4 beta 8 ?

Jan Martin-2
Wim,

what is the version of you Firefox?
4.0b8?

Jan

http://www.DIY-streetview.org

Re: Updating Prof. Dr. Dersch's PTViewerNG WebGL example for Firefox 4 beta 8 ?

Wim Koornneef
Jan Martin-2 wrote
....what is the version of you Firefox?...
Hello Jan,

I use MineField 4.0b2pre.
I suggest you install this version and try it on your system (after enabling WebGL).

Success,
Wim

Re: Updating Prof. Dr. Dersch's PTViewerNG WebGL example for Firefox 4 beta 8 ?

Jan Martin-2
Thanks for the feedback Wim.

The change to WebGL seems to be rather recent.
It might be that your 4.0b2pre is so old that it still works.

Does it work for anyone using Firefox 4.0 Beta 8?
or Google Chromium 10?

Please test
http://webuser.hs-furtwangen.de/~dersch/PTViewerNG/PTViewerNG.html<http://webuser.hs-furtwangen.de/%7Edersch/PTViewerNG/PTViewerNG.html>

and

On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 2:22 PM, Wim Koornneef <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Jan Martin-2 wrote:
> > ....what is the version of you Firefox?...
>
> Hello Jan,
>
> I use MineField 4.0b2pre.
> I suggest you install this version and try it on your system (after
> enabling
> WebGL).
>
> Success,
> Wim

http://www.DIY-streetview.org

Re: Updating Prof. Dr. Dersch's PTViewerNG WebGL example for Firefox 4 beta 8 ?

Carlos Chegado - carloschegado.com
Jan,

Using FF 4.0b8 on windows xp, doesn't work for me!

Os melhores cumprimentos,
Best regards,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Carlos Chegado

Olho de Peixe Lda
Rua Miguel Pais, 48 - B, 2830-356 Barreiro, Portugal
Tel: (+351) 210 88 91 92, Fax: (+351) 210 88 91 99

|| Skype: carloschegado || facebook.com/carloschegado ||
twitter.com/carloschegado ||

www.xprints.com ||

|| 360cities.net/profile/carlos-chegado || ivrpa.org/user/2153 ||

On 04-01-2011 13:27, Jan Martin wrote:

> Thanks for the feedback Wim.
>
> The change to WebGL seems to be rather recent.
> It might be that your 4.0b2pre is so old that it still works.
>
> Does it work for anyone using Firefox 4.0 Beta 8?
> or Google Chromium 10?
>
> Please test
> http://webuser.hs-furtwangen.de/~dersch/PTViewerNG/PTViewerNG.html<http://webuser.hs-furtwangen.de/%7Edersch/PTViewerNG/PTViewerNG.html>
>
> and
> http://www.diy-streetview.org/data/development/20110104/PTViewerNG.html
>

> Thanks,
> Jan

Re: Updating Prof. Dr. Dersch's PTViewerNG WebGL example for Firefox 4 beta 8 ?

Isaac Garcia-3
Using FF 4b8/Vista x64 and not working (with your test I do get a black
square, at least)

Cheers.

On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 3:31 PM, Carlos Chegado - carloschegado.com <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Jan,
>
> Using FF 4.0b8 on windows xp, doesn't work for me!
>
> Os melhores cumprimentos,
> Best regards,
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> Carlos Chegado
>
> Olho de Peixe Lda
> Rua Miguel Pais, 48 - B, 2830-356 Barreiro, Portugal
> Tel: (+351) 210 88 91 92, Fax: (+351) 210 88 91 99
>
> || Skype: carloschegado || facebook.com/carloschegado ||
> twitter.com/carloschegado ||

> www.xprints.com ||
>
> || 360cities.net/profile/carlos-chegado || ivrpa.org/user/2153 ||
>

> On 04-01-2011 13:27, Jan Martin wrote:
> > Thanks for the feedback Wim.
> >
> > The change to WebGL seems to be rather recent.
> > It might be that your 4.0b2pre is so old that it still works.
> >
> > Does it work for anyone using Firefox 4.0 Beta 8?
> > or Google Chromium 10?
> >
> > Please test
> > http://webuser.hs-furtwangen.de/~dersch/PTViewerNG/PTViewerNG.html<http://webuser.hs-furtwangen.de/%7Edersch/PTViewerNG/PTViewerNG.html>
> <http://webuser.hs-furtwangen.de/%7Edersch/PTViewerNG/PTViewerNG.html>
> >
> > and
> > http://www.diy-streetview.org/data/development/20110104/PTViewerNG.html
> >

> > Thanks,
> > Jan

Isaac García

http://www.coletassoft.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/coletassoft
http://www.facebook.com/coletassoft
http://twitter.com/coletassoft
http://coletassoft.tumblr.com/
http://coletassoft.deviantART.com

JFGI | RTFM

Re: Updating Prof. Dr. Dersch's PTViewerNG WebGL example for Firefox 4 beta 8 ?

Andrey Filippov
I made a small WebGL panorama test that does work for me on Firefox 4 beta 8. Does it work for you ?
http://blogs.elphel.com/2011/01/experimenting-with-webgl-panoramas/

Andrey

Re: Updating Prof. Dr. Dersch's PTViewerNG WebGL example for Firefox 4 beta 8 ?

Jan Martin-2
Thanks for the testing.

Anyone interested in updating it, to make it work again?
It's not in my skill-set.

Thanks,
Jan

On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 10:59 PM, Isaac Garcia <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Using FF 4b8/Vista x64 and not working (with your test I do get a black
> square, at least)
>
> Cheers.
>

> On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 3:31 PM, Carlos Chegado - carloschegado.com <
> [hidden email] <mail%40carloschegado.com>> wrote:
>
> > Jan,
> >
> > Using FF 4.0b8 on windows xp, doesn't work for me!
> >
> > Os melhores cumprimentos,
> > Best regards,
> >
> > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> >
> > Carlos Chegado
> >
> > Olho de Peixe Lda
> > Rua Miguel Pais, 48 - B, 2830-356 Barreiro, Portugal
> > Tel: (+351) 210 88 91 92, Fax: (+351) 210 88 91 99
> >
> > || Skype: carloschegado || facebook.com/carloschegado ||
> > twitter.com/carloschegado ||

> > www.xprints.com ||
> >
> > || 360cities.net/profile/carlos-chegado || ivrpa.org/user/2153 ||
> >

> > On 04-01-2011 13:27, Jan Martin wrote:
> > > Thanks for the feedback Wim.
> > >
> > > The change to WebGL seems to be rather recent.
> > > It might be that your 4.0b2pre is so old that it still works.
> > >
> > > Does it work for anyone using Firefox 4.0 Beta 8?
> > > or Google Chromium 10?
> > >
> > > Please test
> > > http://webuser.hs-furtwangen.de/~dersch/PTViewerNG/PTViewerNG.html<http://webuser.hs-furtwangen.de/%7Edersch/PTViewerNG/PTViewerNG.html>
> <http://webuser.hs-furtwangen.de/%7Edersch/PTViewerNG/PTViewerNG.html>
> > <http://webuser.hs-furtwangen.de/%7Edersch/PTViewerNG/PTViewerNG.html>
> > >
> > > and
> > >
> http://www.diy-streetview.org/data/development/20110104/PTViewerNG.html
> > >

> > > Thanks,
> > > Jan

> > --
> >

> --
> Isaac García
>
> http://www.coletassoft.com
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/coletassoft
> http://www.facebook.com/coletassoft
> http://twitter.com/coletassoft
> http://coletassoft.tumblr.com/
> http://coletassoft.deviantART.com
>
> JFGI | RTFM

Re: Updating Prof. Dr. Dersch's PTViewerNG WebGL example for Firefox 4 beta 8 ?

Aldo Hoeben

> API changes: http://learningwebgl.com/blog/?p=2566

From the same site, here's another important tidbit:
http://learningwebgl.com/blog/?p=2507

You have to add "precision highp float;" to the top of your fragment shader, and you have to change the syntax of gl.texImage2D

I am still not getting anything but a black square, but no more errors...

'do

Re: Updating Prof. Dr. Dersch's PTViewerNG WebGL example for Firefox 4 beta 8 ?

Jan Martin-2
Hi Aldo,

Please post all the code changes you made.

Thanks,
Jan

--
http://www.DIY-streetview.org

Re: Updating Prof. Dr. Dersch's PTViewerNG WebGL example for Firefox 4 beta 8 ?

Aldo Hoeben
Once I had found that Firefox has an error console (duh...), the last steps to get PTViewerNG working again were pretty straightforward.

http://files.fieldofview.com/temp/ptvng/
Changes:
http://files.fieldofview.com/temp/ptvng/ptviewerng.patch
Archive:
http://files.fieldofview.com/temp/ptvng/ptviewerng.zip

This should work on Firefox 4 beta 8 (and newer) out of the box.

In WebGL, textures that do not have power-of-two dimensions don't support mipmapping, so I had to turn that off. Non-power-of-two textures also need to have edge clamping turned on. A bonus of turning on edge-clamping is that there should no longer be any visible seams between faces, without having to create overlapping faces. Please test and report of that's actually true.

'do

PS: I don't know when Wim's image became the defacto PTViewerNG default image, but I have added a creditline in the html. Wim, if you have a problem with this, I'll replace your image with one of my own.

Re: Updating Prof. Dr. Dersch's PTViewerNG WebGL example for Firefox 4 beta 8 ?

Wim Koornneef
ahoeben41 wrote
....I don't know when Wim's image became the defacto PTViewerNG default image, but I have added a creditline in the html. Wim, if you have a problem with this, I'll replace your image with one of my own.....
Hello Aldo,

Thanks for fixing the broken script. I am sure this is saving Prof. Dersch a lot of work.

About the default PTViewerNG image, this is still the panorama of the castle of Marburg, shot by the prof himself.....

My panorama is an example of WebGL placed on the DIY streetview forum of Jan Martin.
The layout of the HTML page of my panorama is exactly the same, Jan only replaced the images.
I have no problems at all it that you used it for a demo of the repaired script.

Thanks again,
Wim

Re: Updating Prof. Dr. Dersch's PTViewerNG WebGL example for Firefox 4 beta 8 ?

Jan Martin-2
Hi Aldo,

great job.
I can confirm this works well with Firefox 4.0 beta 8 on Ubuntu 10.4.1.

Thanks for adding a credit line for Wim.
Regarding your own credit line: It's 2011 already!

About "mipmapping".
My understanding is that for compatibility with flash players each cubeface
needs to be a pixel larger then needed? It's important to stay compatible
with tools like EquirectangularToCubic, maintained by Marek Standio at as
part of SaladoConverter over at
http://panozona.com/wiki/SaladoConverter#EquirectangularToCubic .
No one likes to have 2 sets of cubefaces, one for flash and one for webGL.

Prof Dr. Dersch mailed me that he tries to find time to do fixing starting
end of January.
I guess he now has the opportunity to spend his time on more interesting
stuff.

My personal wish-list:

1) PTStitcherNG
2) PTStitcherNG
3) PTStitcherNG

Please find a new page showing the webGL player here:
http://www.diy-streetview.org/data/development/20110110/

The streetview shown has been taken with a rig from the design contest:
http://www.diy-streetview.org/2010/11/18/gopro-hd-streetview-rig-design-contest/

Cameras arranges like shown in the last image using a plywood makeshift rig.
Template will be fixed once I receive the new base for the rig to
permanently arrange the cameras.

In Google Chromium 10.0.629.0 (70587) Ubuntu 10.04 the "-" key to zoom out
did not work.

Replacing
    var zoomOutKeys     = [    109 ];
by
    var zoomOutKeys     = [    109, 189 ];
in ptviewerng.js fixes this.

I also changed the fov:
from
    var fov  = 45;
    var fov  = 70;
in ptviewerng.js

I understand 70 is the "industry standard"?
We now can start adding a flash/webGL switch and tons of configruation
options like the other players have. ;)

Jan

On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 3:46 PM, ahoeben41 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Once I had found that Firefox has an error console (duh...), the last steps
> to get PTViewerNG working again were pretty straightforward.
>
> http://files.fieldofview.com/temp/ptvng/
> Changes:
> http://files.fieldofview.com/temp/ptvng/ptviewerng.patch
> Archive:
> http://files.fieldofview.com/temp/ptvng/ptviewerng.zip
>
> This should work on Firefox 4 beta 8 (and newer) out of the box.
>
> In WebGL, textures that do not have power-of-two dimensions don't support
> mipmapping, so I had to turn that off. Non-power-of-two textures also need
> to have edge clamping turned on. A bonus of turning on edge-clamping is that
> there should no longer be any visible seams between faces, without having to
> create overlapping faces. Please test and report of that's actually true.
>
> 'do
>
> PS: I don't know when Wim's image became the defacto PTViewerNG default
> image, but I have added a creditline in the html. Wim, if you have a problem
> with this, I'll replace your image with one of my own.

--
http://www.DIY-streetview.org

Re: Updating Prof. Dr. Dersch's PTViewerNG WebGL example for Firefox 4 beta 8 ?

Aldo Hoeben
> Regarding your own credit line: It's 2011 already!

They don't call me "'doh!" for nothing... (or, as Thomas will quote me: "not very bright"...)

> About "mipmapping".
> My understanding is that for compatibility with flash players each cubeface
> needs to be a pixel larger then needed? It's important to stay compatible
> with tools like EquirectangularToCubic,

Please, lord, for all that is good in the world, NO!

Let's *not* start making "special cubefaces" because some players are having technical difficulties to support proper 90 degree cubefaces. If Flash-based viewers need extra pixels to display the panoramas properly, then by all means let those viewers add these extra pixels on the fly (that's what SPi-V did anyway) and DON'T start creating images that will be obsolete when the viewers start supporting proper cubefaces (at which point we will have to dumb down the viewers in order to display the images properly, or you have to recreate all those cubefaces). It's either cubefaces, or no cubefaces!

Note that this has nothing to do with mipmapping per se.

'do