Using th K-01 for panoramas

Roger D Williams
It's taking a bit of getting used to--having continuous "live view" instead of what I thought of as a "proper" viewfinder. More disconcerting was the strange way the image seemed to swim around inside the frame. I later guessed this must be the image stabilitzation mechanism shifting the sensor around. This is going to make the use of templates questionable, as the movement is not just a few pixels! I hadn't realised that this would absolutely require the use of "shift" adjustment in opotimization as the center of each image will almosst certainly be different from the ones adjacent to  it.

I am happy to have image stabilization built into the camera, as old age is making my hands a lot less steady than they used tp be. I also think it could help me to get good results from spinning the camera on top of a pole and using the burst mode (six shots per second) to take a series of shots automatically for panoramas without having to use a very high shutter speed.

Mirrorless operation should also help avoid camera shake... I'll keep the list posted on the results I get.

Roger W.

Sent from my iPad

Re: Using th K-01 for panoramas

Hans-74

--- In [hidden email], Roger D Williams <roger@...> wrote:

> It's taking a bit of getting used to--having continuous "live view" instead of what I thought of as a "proper" viewfinder. More disconcerting was the strange way the image seemed to swim around inside the frame. I later guessed this must be the image stabilitzation mechanism shifting the sensor around. This is going to make the use of templates questionable, as the movement is not just a few pixels! I hadn't realised that this would absolutely require the use of "shift" adjustment in opotimization as the center of each image will almosst certainly be different from the ones adjacent to  it.
>
> I am happy to have image stabilization built into the camera, as old age is making my hands a lot less steady than they used tp be. I also think it could help me to get good results from spinning the camera on top of a pole and using the burst mode (six shots per second) to take a series of shots automatically for panoramas without having to use a very high shutter speed.
>
> Mirrorless operation should also help avoid camera shake... I'll keep the list posted on >the results I get.

Image stabilisation is an absolutely NO NO with any kind of tripod.
You should always turn it of for panoramas.

If you use it on a tripod it will do the opposite as it is supposed to do.

Hans

> Roger W.
>
> Sent from my iPad

Re: Using th K-01 for panoramas

Roger D Williams
Thank you, Hans, but it may not be quite such a clear situation as you think. I never use a tripod in the usual way. I always use a monopod but sometimes I use a mini-tripod at the foot of the monopod to hold the foot in the same position. (I used to have trouble with the foot "walking" as i rotated the monopd.) The little tripod I use has a ball head that I screw into the bottom of the monopod and I slacken the clamp so the monopod can rotate about a fixed point . I use a Velcro'd bubble gauge on the monopod to keep it vertical, and I usually turn it by hand. I may have to modify this procedure a bit now I need to shoot six around--harder to estimate 60 degrees than 90! But it will never be like the case of someone with a rock solid tripod and a setup so stable it could be used for making templates.

Why am I wrong to think that it is useful to have image stabilization to remove what hand shake this setup may still induce? And why wouldn't it be a good thing to use on a camera that is being spun to take a burst of photos for later stitching into a panorama?

Roger W

Sent from my iPad

On May 27, 2012, at 10:00 PM, "Hans" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> --- In [hidden email], Roger D Williams <roger@...> wrote:
>>
>> It's taking a bit of getting used to--having continuous "live view" instead of what I thought of as a "proper" viewfinder. More disconcerting was the strange way the image seemed to swim around inside the frame. I later guessed this must be the image stabilitzation mechanism shifting the sensor around. This is going to make the use of templates questionable, as the movement is not just a few pixels! I hadn't realised that this would absolutely require the use of "shift" adjustment in opotimization as the center of each image will almosst certainly be different from the ones adjacent to  it.
>>
>> I am happy to have image stabilization built into the camera, as old age is making my hands a lot less steady than they used tp be. I also think it could help me to get good results from spinning the camera on top of a pole and using the burst mode (six shots per second) to take a series of shots automatically for panoramas without having to use a very high shutter speed.
>>
>> Mirrorless operation should also help avoid camera shake... I'll keep the list posted on >the results I get.
>
> Image stabilisation is an absolutely NO NO with any kind of tripod.
> You should always turn it of for panoramas.
>
> If you use it on a tripod it will do the opposite as it is supposed to do.
>
> Hans
>

>> Roger W.
>>
>> Sent from my iPad

Re: Using th K-01 for panoramas

mybatterygrip
Canon 350d camera can take the best photos.
It is with a battery grip for canon 350d, more power, easy handle and another battery.
1.This Battery Grip for Canon 400D 350D XT Xti makes photographing in a vertical position much easier and provides a better handling of your camera especially when you are using heavy lenses.

2.The battery grip provides more energy for your camera than a normal storage battery would.

3.The battery compartment holds either two lithium batteries (original or third-party manufacturer) or a battery magazine for six AA Alkaline batteries.

4.It is also equipped with a vertical-grip shutter button, dial, AE lock/FE lock button, and AF point selector button to enable exposure time setting etc.

Re: Using th K-01 for panoramas

Ian Wood-2
Image stabilisation is designed to correct for the kind of vibration produced by hand-holding a camera. Most IS systems if mounted on a tripod (sometimes even a monopod) will get confused by the different frequency of the vibrations and actually introduce *more* vibration than if you turn the IS off.

A few high-end systems have a switch for tripod-mode but in general IS and any kind of support doesn't mix well.

Ian

On 28 May 2012, at 09:40, Roger D Williams wrote:

> Thank you, Hans, but it may not be quite such a clear situation as you think. I never use a tripod in the usual way. I always use a monopod but sometimes I use a mini-tripod at the foot of the monopod to hold the foot in the same position. (I used to have trouble with the foot "walking" as i rotated the monopd.) The little tripod I use has a ball head that I screw into the bottom of the monopod and I slacken the clamp so the monopod can rotate about a fixed point . I use a Velcro'd bubble gauge on the monopod to keep it vertical, and I usually turn it by hand. I may have to modify this procedure a bit now I need to shoot six around--harder to estimate 60 degrees than 90! But it will never be like the case of someone with a rock solid tripod and a setup so stable it could be used for making templates.
>
> Why am I wrong to think that it is useful to have image stabilization to remove what hand shake this setup may still induce? And why wouldn't it be a good thing to use on a camera that is being spun to take a burst of photos for later stitching into a panorama?
>
> Roger W
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
> On May 27, 2012, at 10:00 PM, "Hans" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> --- In [hidden email], Roger D Williams <roger@...> wrote:
>>>
>>> It's taking a bit of getting used to--having continuous "live view" instead of what I thought of as a "proper" viewfinder. More disconcerting was the strange way the image seemed to swim around inside the frame. I later guessed this must be the image stabilitzation mechanism shifting the sensor around. This is going to make the use of templates questionable, as the movement is not just a few pixels! I hadn't realised that this would absolutely require the use of "shift" adjustment in opotimization as the center of each image will almosst certainly be different from the ones adjacent to  it.
>>>
>>> I am happy to have image stabilization built into the camera, as old age is making my hands a lot less steady than they used tp be. I also think it could help me to get good results from spinning the camera on top of a pole and using the burst mode (six shots per second) to take a series of shots automatically for panoramas without having to use a very high shutter speed.
>>>
>>> Mirrorless operation should also help avoid camera shake... I'll keep the list posted on >the results I get.
>>
>> Image stabilisation is an absolutely NO NO with any kind of tripod.
>> You should always turn it of for panoramas.
>>
>> If you use it on a tripod it will do the opposite as it is supposed to do.
>>
>> Hans
>>

>>> Roger W.
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPad
>>>

>> ------------------------------------

Re: Using th K-01 for panoramas

Roger D Williams
Thank you Ian. I didn't know that, and of course Hans's comment now
makes a lot more sense to me.

Roger W.

Business: www.adex-japan.com
Pleasure: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
Panorama: Rogerama at photosynth.net

Re: Using th K-01 for panoramas

pedro_silva58
roger,

not all image stabilization systems are born equal, but according to the k-01 english manual (from http://www.pentaximaging.com/support/download-details/869), page 101, it is fixed to off when using either the self-timer or the remote control, as i think you would, on top of a pole.  so if i'm reading this rite, you don't actually have a choice...

hth
cheers,
pedro

--- In [hidden email], "Roger D. Williams" <roger@...> wrote:

> Thank you Ian. I didn't know that, and of course Hans's comment now
> makes a lot more sense to me.
>
> Roger W.
>

> On Mon, 28 May 2012 20:08:55 +0900, Ian Wood <panolists@...>
> wrote:
>
> > Image stabilisation is designed to correct for the kind of vibration
> > produced by hand-holding a camera. Most IS systems if mounted on a
> > tripod (sometimes even a monopod) will get confused by the different
> > frequency of the vibrations and actually introduce *more* vibration than
> > if you turn the IS off.
> >
> > A few high-end systems have a switch for tripod-mode but in general IS
> > and any kind of support doesn't mix well.
> >
> > Ian
> >

> > On 28 May 2012, at 09:40, Roger D Williams wrote:
> >
> >> Thank you, Hans, but it may not be quite such a clear situation as you
> >> think. I never use a tripod in the usual way. I always use a monopod
> >> but sometimes I use a mini-tripod at the foot of the monopod to hold
> >> the foot in the same position. (I used to have trouble with the foot
> >> "walking" as i rotated the monopd.) The little tripod I use has a ball
> >> head that I screw into the bottom of the monopod and I slacken the
> >> clamp so the monopod can rotate about a fixed point . I use a Velcro'd
> >> bubble gauge on the monopod to keep it vertical, and I usually turn it
> >> by hand. I may have to modify this procedure a bit now I need to shoot
> >> six around--harder to estimate 60 degrees than 90! But it will never be
> >> like the case of someone with a rock solid tripod and a setup so stable
> >> it could be used for making templates.
> >>
> >> Why am I wrong to think that it is useful to have image stabilization
> >> to remove what hand shake this setup may still induce? And why wouldn't
> >> it be a good thing to use on a camera that is being spun to take a
> >> burst of photos for later stitching into a panorama?
> >>
> >> Roger W
> >>
> >> Sent from my iPad

> >> ------------------------------------
> >>
> >> --

> Business: www.adex-japan.com
> Pleasure: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
> Panorama: Rogerama at photosynth.net

Re: Using th K-01 for panoramas

Roger D Williams
That's interesting, Pedro. I am also grateful for the link to the English manual. I got the Japanese one of course! And although I made my living for years translating Japanese instruction manuals into English, it is not exactly my idea of fun. Much easier and faster to find what I want in English!

Roger W.

Sent from my iPad

On May 28, 2012, at 11:29 PM, "pedro_silva58" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> roger,
>
> not all image stabilization systems are born equal, but according to the k-01 english manual (from http://www.pentaximaging.com/support/download-details/869), page 101, it is fixed to off when using either the self-timer or the remote control, as i think you would, on top of a pole.  so if i'm reading this rite, you don't actually have a choice...
>
> hth
> cheers,
> pedro
>
> --- In [hidden email], "Roger D. Williams" <roger@...> wrote:
>>
>> Thank you Ian. I didn't know that, and of course Hans's comment now
>> makes a lot more sense to me.
>>
>> Roger W.
>>

>> On Mon, 28 May 2012 20:08:55 +0900, Ian Wood <panolists@...>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Image stabilisation is designed to correct for the kind of vibration
>>> produced by hand-holding a camera. Most IS systems if mounted on a
>>> tripod (sometimes even a monopod) will get confused by the different
>>> frequency of the vibrations and actually introduce *more* vibration than
>>> if you turn the IS off.
>>>
>>> A few high-end systems have a switch for tripod-mode but in general IS
>>> and any kind of support doesn't mix well.
>>>
>>> Ian

>>> ------------------------------------
>>>

>> --
>> Business: www.adex-japan.com
>> Pleasure: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
>> Panorama: Rogerama at photosynth.net

Re: Using th K-01 for panoramas

Roger D Williams
Ran into an interesting "Gotcha" trying to use the perspective change
tool for filling a nadir today. I was taking a panorama indoors where
I could be sure there were lots of close-by details to reveal and
slight parallax problems.

I knew the control points had to be on a flat horizontal plane for
this to work properly, but I hadn't figured on the effect of my wife's
pride and joy, our highly polished wooden floors! The perspective of
the nadir-inset reflections is all wrong, so I have to go back to
MAJOR cloning as I am now using the Pentax 10-17mm zoom at 10mm, and
although I pointed it down 15 degrees that is still one LARGE hole to
fill! Ouch!

Roger

Panorama: Rogerama at photosynth.net

Re: Using th K-01 for panoramas

Sacha Griffin
Better not to use perspective for nadirs any more than you have to. At the
moment I have someone mark my lens on the nodal point with a finger, remove
my setup, reposition the tripod and reconfigure it's center column back into
perfect position onto the floating finger. I still optimized VP for any
slight errors in alignment. You only have to worry about shadows and having
a tripod you can reconfigure.  Or you can use a nadir adapter on your
spherical head to swivel it out if you're using the ninja series. Major
cloning is annoying and doesn't even begin to compare in time with doing a
reshoot.

Best Regards,

Sacha Griffin
http://www.seeit360.com
http://twitter.com/SeeIt360
http://www.facebook.com/SeeIt360
IM: [hidden email]
Office: 404-551-4275

Panorama: Rogerama at photosynth.net

Re: Using th K-01 for panoramas

Roger D Williams
On Wed, 30 May 2012 12:38:14 +0900, Sacha Griffin
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Better not to use perspective for nadirs any more than you have to. At
> the
> moment I have someone mark my lens on the nodal point with a finger,
> remove
> my setup, reposition the tripod and reconfigure it's center column back
> into
> perfect position onto the floating finger. I still optimized VP for any
> slight errors in alignment. You only have to worry about shadows and
> having
> a tripod you can reconfigure.  Or you can use a nadir adapter on your
> spherical head to swivel it out if you're using the ninja series. Major
> cloning is annoying and doesn't even begin to compare in time with doing
> a reshoot.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Sacha Griffin

Sacha, I wonder why I have never heard of a nadir adapter for the ninja
series, or swiveling it out? Or maybe I HAVE heard and it's Alzheimer
at work again (God forbid!).

Sounds just like what I want, now I'm being forcibly weaned from my
best-loved "four-around on a monopod" workflow. Will search the Ninja
site as soon as this mail goes off.

Roger W.

Panorama: Rogerama at photosynth.net

Re: Using th K-01 for panoramas

Roger D Williams
> On Wed, 30 May 2012 12:38:14 +0900, Sacha Griffin
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Better not to use perspective for nadirs any more than you have to. At
>> the
>> moment I have someone mark my lens on the nodal point with a finger,
>> remove
>> my setup, reposition the tripod and reconfigure it's center column back
>> into
>> perfect position onto the floating finger. I still optimized VP for any
>> slight errors in alignment. You only have to worry about shadows and
>> having
>> a tripod you can reconfigure.  Or you can use a nadir adapter on your
>> spherical head to swivel it out if you're using the ninja series. Major
>> cloning is annoying and doesn't even begin to compare in time with doing
>> a reshoot.

A nadir adapter will shortly be on its way to me! I ordered one
immediately.
It looks as if you have to reposition the tripod to get the camera exactly
over the nadir spot (which is OK, my camera has an "x marks the spot"
marker for the precise center of the image). It could hardly be otherwise,
of course.

All I have to do is put a marker on ground zero. Something that won't blow
away... Unfortunately, although my wife is usually with me when I am
taking panoramas, she is unlikely to provide the necessary floating finger
to mark the spot. Long story... <sad smile>

I think it's lucky that my K-01 plus the Pentax 10-17mm fisheye is a
fairly light combination, as my tripod is definitely unstable with any
unbalanced weight at the top, having been assembled for use with a monopod
that relied on me holding it vertical. (sigh)

Roger W.

One nice thing about using the Pentax zoom fisheye at 10mm rather than the
Peleng at 8mm is that I get higher definition panoramas. About 14,000 by
7,000 rather than 8,000 x 4,000. Oh, but that was on the 12Mpx K-x camera.
The K-01 has 16Mpx. Hmmm. Anyway, the panos are nice and sharp, which
was far from the case with the Samyang.

--
Business: www.adex-japan.com
Pleasure: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
Panorama: Rogerama on photosynth.net

Re: Using th K-01 for panoramas

luca vascon-3
Roger, my friend!
I also had the same problem with my 8mm Samyang. They really do have
problems in quality control.
Nonetheless the 7.5 for micro 4/3 is even better than the sharp and costy
Panasonic AF one!!
A pity that gray paint is coming off after few month of (ab)use   :-)
For sure YOU like odd cameras and stuff uh?
Me too.
But that Pentax k01 did appeal me even less than a Leica M9 (that was my
Less Appealing Currently Produced Camera, till last year) for its price,
bulkiness, bad desing (I'm a designer, after all).
I see that after the beautyful K5 they are doing an ugly (yet very
interesting) K3
Right now I'd choose Nikon D3200 with a 10.5 Nikkor, or a small, pricewise
Panasonic GF2 with 7.5mm Samyang.
Hacking the lens, the same 7.5mm and a Sony Nex5n body for pole 4-shots
panos

www.lucavascon.net

www.officinepanottiche.com
www.nuovostudio.it

Re: Using th K-01 for panoramas

Roger D Williams
Hi, Luca!

On May 30, 2012, at 11:23 PM, luca vascon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Roger, my friend!
> I also had the same problem with my 8mm Samyang. They really do have problems in quality control.

Yes, I was really looking forward to using it. And the reaction of the salesperson was rather daunting. Of course that may  just have been reflecting the general Japanese tendency to look down on Korean products as imitative and substandard. They forget that Japan was seen the same way 50 or 60 years ago!

> Nonetheless the 7.5 for micro 4/3 is even better than the sharp and costy Panasonic AF one!!
> A pity that gray paint is coming off after few month of (ab)use   :-)

Yes, I have heard that it's a great lens. I considered getting a NEX and using one with it, but I just couldn't get to like the NEX family. Too far away from my lifelong experience of manual cameras. And then you need to make mechanical adaptions to get the lens to work on them, and that is quite beyond me.

> For sure YOU like odd cameras and stuff uh?

Yep. And the K-01 is certainly that!

> Me too.

Well, I am hooked on having fun, which explains a lot about my oddities.

> But that Pentax k01 did appeal me even less than a Leica M9 (that was my Less Appealing Currently Produced Camera, till last year) for its price, bulkiness, bad desing (I'm a designer, after all).

Hmmm. Well, I can agree that it's less appealing than a Leica M9, but it does have its merits. For instance it shares the excellent Pentax arrangement of functions and controls. And it looks and feels a lot more like a manual camera than most others. I had to buy a YELLOW one, it was the only colour they had left at the special  "outlet" price I paid. It is a great conversation starter!

> I see that after the beautyful K5 they are doing an ugly (yet very interesting) K3

Ah, is that what we call the K-30? I agree that the K-5 is one beautiful little camera. I had to settle for the K-x, which is an astonishing little gem, because of budget limitations. But after using it for over a year I have sold my Nikon D300 and (rather more reluctantly) my Fujifilm S5 and all their lenses. Now I can use my excellent Pentax lenses on two cameras--one ideal for panoramas, the K-01, and the other good for snaps, the K-x. A light and flexible combination that just about meets all my needs.

> Right now I'd choose Nikon D3200 with a 10.5 Nikkor, or a small, pricewise Panasonic GF2 with 7.5mm Samyang.
> Hacking the lens, the same 7.5mm and a Sony Nex5n body for pole 4-shots panos

Yes, if I was confident of hacking a lens I might have gone that way but I am mechanically challenged. Seriously!

Roger W.

> 2012/5/30 Roger D. Williams <[hidden email]>
> > On Wed, 30 May 2012 12:38:14 +0900, Sacha Griffin
> > <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Better not to use perspective for nadirs any more than you have to. At
> >> the
> >> moment I have someone mark my lens on the nodal point with a finger,
> >> remove
> >> my setup, reposition the tripod and reconfigure it's center column back
> >> into
> >> perfect position onto the floating finger. I still optimized VP for any
> >> slight errors in alignment. You only have to worry about shadows and
> >> having
> >> a tripod you can reconfigure.  Or you can use a nadir adapter on your
> >> spherical head to swivel it out if you're using the ninja series. Major
> >> cloning is annoying and doesn't even begin to compare in time with doing
> >> a reshoot.
>
> A nadir adapter will shortly be on its way to me! I ordered one
> immediately.
> It looks as if you have to reposition the tripod to get the camera exactly
> over the nadir spot (which is OK, my camera has an "x marks the spot"
> marker for the precise center of the image). It could hardly be otherwise,
> of course.
>
> All I have to do is put a marker on ground zero. Something that won't blow
> away... Unfortunately, although my wife is usually with me when I am
> taking panoramas, she is unlikely to provide the necessary floating finger
> to mark the spot. Long story... <sad smile>
>
> I think it's lucky that my K-01 plus the Pentax 10-17mm fisheye is a
> fairly light combination, as my tripod is definitely unstable with any
> unbalanced weight at the top, having been assembled for use with a monopod
> that relied on me holding it vertical. (sigh)
>
> Roger W.
>
> One nice thing about using the Pentax zoom fisheye at 10mm rather than the
> Peleng at 8mm is that I get higher definition panoramas. About 14,000 by
> 7,000 rather than 8,000 x 4,000. Oh, but that was on the 12Mpx K-x camera.
> The K-01 has 16Mpx. Hmmm. Anyway, the panos are nice and sharp, which
> was far from the case with the Samyang.
>
> --
> Business: www.adex-japan.com
> Pleasure: www.usefilm.com/member/roger
> Panorama: Rogerama on photosynth.net

> Luca Vascon.
> --
> www.lucavascon.net
> Questa è la mia mail privata, la guardo di tanto in tanto.
> Se volete parlarmi di lavoro, contattatemi attraverso i siti qui sotto.
>
> www.officinepanottiche.com
> www.nuovostudio.it

Re: Using th K-01 for panoramas

luca vascon-3
:-)
The best thing would be the compactness of my Panasonic GF2 with the 24MP
sensor of the NEX7.
I had the K01 in my hands... everything eas out of reach! :-(

Yellow is the only color that more or less fits the k01... but three
colors, and that one calls himself a designer!!
I asked Nikon Italy if they woyld make for me a PINK D800E branded Sanrio -
HelloKitty.
If you do think I'm joking look at my actual personal camera:
http://www.lucavascon.net/blog/2011/12/09/punkamera/

I've seen a YELLOW KX in the hands of a japanese man here in Venice, he was
wearing a plain yellow Tshirt, blue jeans, and sport shoes.
Despite being a camera collector, and an old-school photographer, I LOVE
white or colorful cameras, like today's costume.

Re: Using th K-01 for panoramas

Trausti Hraunfjord
Don King camera!   Now I have seen it all....

Trausti

On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 8:43 AM, luca vascon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> **
>

> :-)
> The best thing would be the compactness of my Panasonic GF2 with the 24MP
> sensor of the NEX7.
> I had the K01 in my hands... everything eas out of reach! :-(
>
> Yellow is the only color that more or less fits the k01... but three
> colors, and that one calls himself a designer!!
> I asked Nikon Italy if they woyld make for me a PINK D800E branded Sanrio
> - HelloKitty.
> If you do think I'm joking look at my actual personal camera:
> http://www.lucavascon.net/blog/2011/12/09/punkamera/
>
> I've seen a YELLOW KX in the hands of a japanese man here in Venice, he
> was wearing a plain yellow Tshirt, blue jeans, and sport shoes.
> Despite being a camera collector, and an old-school photographer, I LOVE
> white or colorful cameras, like today's costume.

Re: Using th K-01 for panoramas

luca vascon-3
:-)
yesssss...
but now I've a pink hellokitty heart shaped pendant and a WII bracelet
strap attached.
my camera is gay and punk.
:-D