What is happening to Panotools list?

giant_klobasa_monster
is this list dying?

the general activity seems less and less.

or is it only me?

Re: What is happening to Panotools list?

Greg Voisan
I think most people are using the panoramic photographers Facebook page to
communicate these days.

On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 1:26 AM, Jeffrey Martin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> **
>

> is this list dying?
>
> the general activity seems less and less.
>
> or is it only me?

Re: What is happening to Panotools list?

DemonDuck
What page is that?

Greg Voisan wrote:

> I think most people are using the panoramic photographers Facebook page to
> communicate these days.
>
> On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 1:26 AM, Jeffrey Martin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> **
>>

>> is this list dying?
>>
>> the general activity seems less and less.
>>
>> or is it only me?

Re: What is happening to Panotools list?

L.D.I. Felipe B. González
Not much traffic in this list, but it´s still the place to get help quickly
from fellow panographers and much more direct tha FB.

Best regards from the subtropical regions of Mexico.

--
L.D.I. Felipe B. González C.
[hidden email]

Am 14.02.2012 18:11, schrieb L.D.I. Felipe B. González:
> Not much traffic in this list, but it´s still the place to get help
> quickly from fellow panographers and much more direct tha FB.

True. It's good to have most of the noise elsewhere ;-)

The interesting thing is - we have the same amount of monthly
registration requests like ever. But it seems most of the new users just
keep lurking...

Panosaurus

trevorc
Hi all
I’m a newbie here...and even newer to panoramas.
Just bought a low cost pan head, a Panosaurus to try out, before I go any further.
Has any body used, or has any thoughts on this item?
Many thanks
Trevor

Re: Panosaurus

L.D.I. Felipe B. González
I´ve never used a Panosaurus, but it seems like a nice entry level pano
head. However If you get hooked with panos you will soon want a more
durable option.

--
L.D.I. Felipe B. González C.
[hidden email]

Am 14.02.2012 10:26, schrieb Jeffrey Martin:

> the general activity seems less and less.

I was very busy in the last three month ;-)

Re: What is happening to Panotools list?

Blake Michaelson
Hey Greg - which page is that?  I love the technical data this group can
generate, but miss the real-world examples and links of "check out my work"
that folks share - obviously FB makes it easy...

On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 6:56 AM, Greg Voisan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> **
>

> I think most people are using the panoramic photographers Facebook page to
> communicate these days.
>

> On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 1:26 AM, Jeffrey Martin <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> **
>>

>> is this list dying?
>>
>> the general activity seems less and less.
>>
>> or is it only me?

Re: Panosaurus

Sacha Griffin
First head. Used it for years. Works fine. Not that great in wind or with
heavy lens, as it may bend some. But is fine for those starting out.

Sacha Griffin
http://www.seeit360.com
http://twitter.com/SeeIt360
http://www.facebook.com/panoramas/
IM: [hidden email]
Office: 404-551-4275

On Feb 14, 2012, at 1:20 PM, "[hidden email]" <
[hidden email]> wrote:

 Hi all
I’m a newbie here...and even newer to panoramas.
Just bought a low cost pan head, a Panosaurus to try out, before I go any
further.
Has any body used, or has any thoughts on this item?
Many thanks
Trevor

Re: Panosaurus

Richard
I bought one about three years ago and sold it last year for almost what I paid for it.
I see there is a new design and is mostly stainless steel. It served me well.
This year I bought the Nodal Ninja 3 with the RD 16 rotator and love it.
Besides it construction, the thing I love about NJ, is that it takes the guess out of rotating the camera in degree increments because it clicks into place.  Whereas with the Panosaurus one has to eyeball its rotation and that can be tricky.  However, if you approach shooting in a disciplined manner, you will have no problems.  And if you get into shooting panoramas as I do for a living, you will want to get a Nodal Ninja or equivalent.

Richard

--- In [hidden email], L.D.I. Felipe B. González <felipe@...> wrote:

> I´ve never used a Panosaurus, but it seems like a nice entry level pano
> head. However If you get hooked with panos you will soon want a more
> durable option.
>
> 2012/2/14 <trevorc@...>
>
> > **
> >

> >  Hi all
> > I'm a newbie here...and even newer to panoramas.
> > Just bought a low cost pan head, a Panosaurus to try out, before I go any
> > further.
> > Has any body used, or has any thoughts on this item?
> > Many thanks
> > Trevor
> >

> --
> L.D.I. Felipe B. González C.
> felipe@...
> 1998-5246
> www.fpk.com.mx
> http://recorridosvirtualesmexico.blogspot.com/
>
> Socio Director Maquetas Virtuales www.maquetasvirtuales.com
> Socio Director Recorridos Virtuales www.recorridosvirtuales.com

Re: What is happening to Panotools list?

Trausti Hraunfjord
http://www.facebook.com/groups/panoramicphotographers/

Panoramic Photographers on
Facebook<http://www.facebook.com/groups/panoramicphotographers/>
Open Group <http://www.facebook.com/groups/panoramicphotographers/#> —
[hidden email]

   - **945 Members<http://www.facebook.com/groups/panoramicphotographers/members/>

There can be noise yes, but also a lot of good information and examples of
works, opinions etc.   Quite active and friendly from what I have
experienced.

Trausti

Am 14.02.2012 20:02, schrieb Blake Michaelson:
> but miss the real-world examples and links of "check out my work" that
> folks share

Seems no one noticed, that this list allows attachments that are kept on
the server - the mail contains thumnbnails only. For an example see the
thread "Understanding of Equirectangular pano"

Re: Panosaurus

Trausti Hraunfjord
Panosaurus was my first head, and it worked fine for me after initial
modifications.  I cut it, drilled it, added to it... and finally it fit my
needs.  Setting it up would take quite a long time prior to my
modifications, but after the modifications it took only 60 seconds or so to
assemble all parts + camera and tripod in place.  For frequent use or
professional use... I would have no problem to declare it un-fit ...
considering what else there is out there.  But for hobby or experimental
use.... not a problem.

The bad thing about it is stability, wind-catching, can not be exposed to
direct sunlight on a hot summer day while inside a vehicle (mine
experienced that, and was all warped afterwards).  It once fell for me,
while it was mounted on a tripod with the camera, and it broke apart.
 Nothing that super-glue couldn't take care of ... and that was what I
fixed it with at the time (hundreds of KM's from home).

I threw it in the trash once I got my Nodal Ninja 5.  I still consider it
as a good initial head for people who don't know if they will be bitten by
the panorama bug or not.  NN is however several classes above in
durability, transportability, precision, operation etc.  And the price
difference is totally justified in every way and form.

Trausti

On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 2:29 PM, Richard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> **
>

> I bought one about three years ago and sold it last year for almost what I
> paid for it.
> I see there is a new design and is mostly stainless steel. It served me
> well.
> This year I bought the Nodal Ninja 3 with the RD 16 rotator and love it.
> Besides it construction, the thing I love about NJ, is that it takes the
> guess out of rotating the camera in degree increments because it clicks
> into place. Whereas with the Panosaurus one has to eyeball its rotation and
> that can be tricky. However, if you approach shooting in a disciplined
> manner, you will have no problems. And if you get into shooting panoramas
> as I do for a living, you will want to get a Nodal Ninja or equivalent.
>
> Richard
>

> --- In [hidden email], L.D.I. Felipe B. González <felipe@...>
> wrote:
> >
> > I´ve never used a Panosaurus, but it seems like a nice entry level pano
> > head. However If you get hooked with panos you will soon want a more
> > durable option.
> >
> > 2012/2/14 <trevorc@...>
> >
> > > **
>

> > > Hi all
> > > I'm a newbie here...and even newer to panoramas.
> > > Just bought a low cost pan head, a Panosaurus to try out, before I go
> any
> > > further.
> > > Has any body used, or has any thoughts on this item?
> > > Many thanks
> > > Trevor
> > >

> > --
> > L.D.I. Felipe B. González C.
> > felipe@...
>
> > 1998-5246
> > www.fpk.com.mx
> > http://recorridosvirtualesmexico.blogspot.com/
> >
> > Socio Director Maquetas Virtuales www.maquetasvirtuales.com
> > Socio Director Recorridos Virtuales www.recorridosvirtuales.com

Re: What is happening to Panotools list?

Isaac Garcia-3
Well, I think that speaks highly of both new users and the list contents.

One ting that gets soooooo tiresome in most forums/lists is that newcomers
don´t bother looking/searching the archive, and the same questions keep
popping up over and over and over again ;)

Cheers from Madrid.

On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 6:53 PM, Erik Krause <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am 14.02.2012 18:11, schrieb L.D.I. Felipe B. González:
> > Not much traffic in this list, but it´s still the place to get help
> > quickly from fellow panographers and much more direct tha FB.
>
> True. It's good to have most of the noise elsewhere ;-)
>
> The interesting thing is - we have the same amount of monthly
> registration requests like ever. But it seems most of the new users just
> keep lurking...
>
> --
> Erik Krause
> http://www.erik-krause.de

Isaac García

http://www.coletassoft.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/coletassoft
http://www.facebook.com/coletassoft
http://twitter.com/coletassoft
http://coletassoft.tumblr.com/
http://coletassoft.deviantART.com

JFGI | RTFM

Re: What is happening to Panotools list?

Sam Rohn-2
hey guys -

http://www.facebook.com/groups/panoramicphotographers/

the panoramic photographers group on facebook was started about 16 months ago as a small experiment w facebook groups as it seemed more and more of the usual panofolks i knew were showing up on fb anyway, then more and more came along, prob by now the majority of regulars from PTNG etc are already there for a while

at this point we try to confirm new members are actually panographers and not just there for no reason at all, we have plenty of newbies & lurkers already, "my 1st pano of the local church", "me too" little planet floods, i consider the fb group to be for intermediate and advanced discussion, so we try to encourage originality and interesting posts in the group, keep it free from trolls and repetitive self promotion spamming etc, and generally try keep it an interesting,  friendly, intelligent and useful part of the panoramic community on line

we have also dug out many new and unknown panographers from korea, japan, poland, etc who were not part of the "normal" pano scene at places like ptng, 360cities, ivrpa, panoguide, etc  and some really interesting new work from some of these unknown to general panoland but quite skilled photographers

i do think that the entire mailing list format is WAY outdated though, and the reason PTNG might be declining is the use of yahoo groups, it really is the least user friendly way to run such a group that i am aware of, yes, i know nabble but for me yahoo groups are really the worst option for online groups, communities based on newer tech which makes interacting with others far easier have and will inevitably make yahoo and other mailing list groups less and less active, google groups are at least somewhat better, why not switch ptng to google groups and keep this  group as an archive ?

grazie

sam

- - - - -
Sam Rohn :: New York City
Panoramic Photography :: http://www.samrohn.com
360° Panorama plugin for WordPress :: http://www.panopress.org
Location Scout :: http://www.nylocations.com

Am 15.02.2012 04:17, schrieb Sam Rohn:
> google groups are at least somewhat better, why not switch
> ptng to google groups and keep this  group as an archive

No, they are not. Look at the PTGui list, you must use a service or your
own page to show an image there. PTNG has attachments that are kept on
the server with a thumbnail displayed in the mail.

We had all this several times. When web forums where hip there where
losts of people asking to convert PTNG into a web forum. But a web forum
dictates how you read it, it floods you with ads, threaded view is a
pain etc. Same applies to facebook. I see the easy integration of media
in facebook, but as a discussion basis it is crap.

Re: What is happening to Panotools list?

Sam Rohn-2
hi erik -

sorry, i meant no offense to this list or list members, but...

adding images to posts in goggle group lists via web interface is super easy, there is a proper upload image button in the post reply formatting area, and no similarly easy to use feature on yahoo groups

also, much better handling of the endlessly quoted replies that make this type of mailing list so tedious to follow, read, search etc, forums are far most configurable in terms of layout, options, flat view, easy to fix OT posts, etc, as opposed to poking through mssg by mssg in an email program, or the dated yahoo web view

i would also think that forums are hardly a fad, using email for a group like this was a nice workaround in its day, but it would seem to me that forums have been the standard tool that most online communities use to communicate for quite some time now, if the rest of the internet is any indication of popularity

however, facebook is not well suited to long detailed conversations, and it does not replace email or forums but it is much better than email for a great many things, just takes a bit to get our heads around something new sometimes

again, no offense to the great community here, but it is the community that is valuable, not the technology of the list we use, and at the moment, facebook is a very popular tool which should not be so quickly dismissed, there is a reason that fb has over 700 million users and yahoo is sinking deeper into oblivion every year... :)

thanks

peace

sam

sam

- - - - -

--- In [hidden email], Erik Krause <erik.krause@...> wrote:

> Am 15.02.2012 04:17, schrieb Sam Rohn:
> > google groups are at least somewhat better, why not switch
> > ptng to google groups and keep this  group as an archive
>
> No, they are not. Look at the PTGui list, you must use a service or your
> own page to show an image there. PTNG has attachments that are kept on
> the server with a thumbnail displayed in the mail.
>
> We had all this several times. When web forums where hip there where
> losts of people asking to convert PTNG into a web forum. But a web forum
> dictates how you read it, it floods you with ads, threaded view is a
> pain etc. Same applies to facebook. I see the easy integration of media
> in facebook, but as a discussion basis it is crap.
>
> --
> Erik Krause
> http://www.erik-krause.de

Re: What is happening to Panotools list?

Christian Bloch-2
Yo Sam,

Well said. Thanks for breaking a stick for forums. ;)
I see them differently than email, more like a public archive of information. In the long run I find google-ability most important. FB has its convenience, and the social hangout stuff is surely nice. I may join the pack when I find the time to stir things up. Until then I hope the good old folks will occasionally stick their head in here….

Blochi

On Feb 16, 2012, at 12:17 AM, Sam Rohn wrote:

> hi erik -
>
> sorry, i meant no offense to this list or list members, but...
>
> adding images to posts in goggle group lists via web interface is super easy, there is a proper upload image button in the post reply formatting area, and no similarly easy to use feature on yahoo groups
>
> also, much better handling of the endlessly quoted replies that make this type of mailing list so tedious to follow, read, search etc, forums are far most configurable in terms of layout, options, flat view, easy to fix OT posts, etc, as opposed to poking through mssg by mssg in an email program, or the dated yahoo web view
>
> i would also think that forums are hardly a fad, using email for a group like this was a nice workaround in its day, but it would seem to me that forums have been the standard tool that most online communities use to communicate for quite some time now, if the rest of the internet is any indication of popularity
>
> however, facebook is not well suited to long detailed conversations, and it does not replace email or forums but it is much better than email for a great many things, just takes a bit to get our heads around something new sometimes
>
> again, no offense to the great community here, but it is the community that is valuable, not the technology of the list we use, and at the moment, facebook is a very popular tool which should not be so quickly dismissed, there is a reason that fb has over 700 million users and yahoo is sinking deeper into oblivion every year... :)
>
> thanks
>
> peace
>
> sam
>
> sam
>
> - - - - -
> Sam Rohn :: New York City
> Panoramic Photography :: http://www.samrohn.com
> 360° Panorama plugin for WordPress :: http://www.panopress.org
> Location Scout :: http://www.nylocations.com

Re: What is happening to Panotools list?

PanoToolsNG.10.m8
These are my personal feelings and observations:

An email list comes to you. You have to go to any web type delivery system.
(yes, some of these systems allow notifications to you that something has happened)

After a number of years watching and participating on the IMatch forums I recently realised that I haven't visited the site for about a year and a half! (time to see what new has happened)

Although I am mainly a lurker here (over the years I have occasionally added input) it all still comes to me and depending on my interest, I delete, archive, research or reply.

I think, some of the very knowledgeable people here of this list were very active in the early days and less so today (a few are still active today) through sheer inertia, they can (and do) still sometimes add input. It would be a shame to lose that expertise completely because 'they' didn't want to go to a forum, or friendface, or other of these web delivery systems.

Cheers,
Darren M

Sent from my iPaid-a lot

On 16/02/2012, at 19:17, "Sam Rohn > wrote:

> i would also think that forums are hardly a fad, using email for a group like this was a nice workaround in its day, but it would seem to me that forums have been the standard tool that most online communities use to communicate for quite some time now, if the rest of the internet is any indication of popularity
>
> however, facebook is not well suited to long detailed conversations, and it does not replace email or forums but it is much better than email for a great many things, just takes a bit to get our heads around something new sometimes
>
> again, no offense to the great community here, but it is the community that is valuable, not the technology of the list we use, and at the moment, facebook is a very popular tool which should not be so quickly dismissed, there is a reason that fb has over 700 million users and yahoo is sinking deeper into oblivion every year... :)
>
> thanks

123