What shall we do with this group.

Re: What shall we do with this group. [1 Attachment]

PanoTools NG mailing list
Hello Erik,

Good for you for asking. I still get daily summaries from Joost's group
and for me has been adequate. While the yahoogroup is one thing, the
wiki is another and I hope can stay even if the discussion group fades.

Thank you for taking lead on this.

Kind regards,

Kelly

--

Mr. V. Kelly Bellis, ME PLS 2099 :: WQTS485
17 Union Street :: Ellsworth, ME 04605

On 4/26/2016 12:53 PM, [hidden email] [PanoToolsNG] wrote:

> Hello,
>
> one or the other might remember, I'm one of the panotoolsNG moderators.
>
> Our lovely and once so active PanotoolsNG group seems almost dead.
> Although we still have 1900+ members and some requests for approval
> each week apparently no one dares to ask or write something. Where has
> all this activity gone? To Panoramic Photographers on Facebook? Or to
> the PTGui and hugin groups?
>
> However, how shall we proceed? I guess I'm not the only one who still
> reads the group and is willing to answer. So why not simply revive it?
> Or shall we close it alltogether? What's your opinion?
>
> Please reply anyone, even if you don't have an opinion. I'd just like
> to know how many still read...
>
> Erik Krause

2INCHHorizonLogo150dpi.png (8K) Download Attachment

Re: What shall we do with this group.

Howdy,

Maybe should review current state of the art by polling members and seeing
where everyone is at.

Roger

*As the blazing fire reduces wood to ashes, similarly, Cosolargy reduces
all Karma to ashes.*
<http://www.great-quotes.com/quotes/author/Bhagavad/Gita#sthash.Dwc8u3uo.dpuf>

On Tue, Apr 26, 2016 at 9:53 AM, [hidden email] [PanoToolsNG] <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> one or the other might remember, I'm one of the panotoolsNG moderators.
>
> Our lovely and once so active PanotoolsNG group seems almost dead.
> Although we still have 1900+ members and some requests for approval each
> week apparently no one dares to ask or write something. Where has all this
> activity gone? To Panoramic Photographers on Facebook? Or to the PTGui
> and hugin groups?
>
> However, how shall we proceed? I guess I'm not the only one who still
> reads the group and is willing to answer. So why not simply revive it? Or
> shall we close it alltogether? What's your opinion?
>
> Please reply anyone, even if you don't have an opinion. I'd just like to
> know how many still read...
>
> Erik Krause

Re: What shall we do with this group.

Hi Erik,

IMHO, Facebook was a disaster for PanotoolsNG. Facebook does not come close
in usability compared to the forum format, especially when viewed with
Nabble, and important posts get lost in the endless scroll of comments and
images. I would love to see everybody come back to the forum. The
information "density" per page is so much bigger on Nabble and searching is
also vastly more efficient. Social network websites are a disease.

Carel

[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> one or the other might remember, I'm one of the panotoolsNG moderators.
>
> Our lovely and once so active PanotoolsNG group seems almost dead.
> Although we still have 1900+ members and some requests for approval each
> week apparently no one dares to ask or write something. Where has all this
> activity gone? To Panoramic Photographers on Facebook? Or to the PTGui
> and hugin groups?
>
> However, how shall we proceed? I guess I'm not the only one who still
> reads the group and is willing to answer. So why not simply revive it? Or
> shall we close it alltogether? What's your opinion?
>
> Please reply anyone, even if you don't have an opinion. I'd just like to
> know how many still read...
>
> Erik Krause

Re: What shall we do with this group.

I read all posts that are automatically sent to my email. Many of those posts are technical issues I have no idea about.

I had to create a new web site since Comcast decided to do away with all personal web sites:
http://wdelabarre.net/

Maybe weekly / monthly topics should be started like:
How would you shoot a panoramic sunrise / sunset?

Sent from my iPad

> On Apr 26, 2016, at 12:53 PM, [hidden email] [PanoToolsNG] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> one or the other might remember, I'm one of the panotoolsNG moderators.
>
> Our lovely and once so active PanotoolsNG group seems almost dead. Although we still have 1900+ members and some requests for approval each week apparently no one dares to ask or write something. Where has all this activity gone? To Panoramic Photographers on Facebook? Or to the PTGui and hugin groups?
>
> However, how shall we proceed? I guess I'm not the only one who still reads the group and is willing to answer. So why not simply revive it? Or shall we close it alltogether? What's your opinion?
>
> Please reply anyone, even if you don't have an opinion. I'd just like to know how many still read...
>
> Erik Krause

Re: What shall we do with this group.

PanoTools NG mailing list
I've never been actively asking questions on here but I will soon :P ! hehe

 I read everything ;)

Re: What shall we do with this group.

I still read the threads in this group. Just one more valuable tool in the arsenal of staying on top of the various issues and changes in this quickly evolving technical space. While it seems I have been shooting panos forever, stitching has only been about ten years. Unfortunately I have never felt that I had enough knowledge to respond directly to questions, but I have benefited much. I now find most, if not all of my technical questions are answered directly by the developers of the software that I use. That said I am certainly happy to enter into discussions where I can contribute. I would stay a member but I also realize that it takes unpaid human resources to keep a space like this alive and well. Thank you for your time. Best regards ... Ken Butt - Gallery of Newfoundland Community Panoramas by Ken A Butt http://www.newfoundlandpanoramas.com

 Gallery of Newfoundland Community Panoramas by Ken A Butt http://www.newfoundlandpanoramas.com High quality panorama photos of Newfoundland and Labrador

 View on www.newfoundlandpanoramas.com http://www.newfoundlandpanoramas.com
 Preview by Yahoo

Re: What shall we do with this group.

Hello,
As I am a read-only person this may not be worth much but…  I think having a resource centered on the idea of pano rather than on a particular product or solution is great.  Looking at different solutions to similar problems leads to learning.

Celac
(Stitching in Photoshop, Hugin, and Affinity)

> On Apr 26, 2016, at 9:53 AM, [hidden email] [PanoToolsNG] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> one or the other might remember, I'm one of the panotoolsNG moderators.
>
> Our lovely and once so active PanotoolsNG group seems almost dead. Although we still have 1900+ members and some requests for approval each week apparently no one dares to ask or write something. Where has all this activity gone? To Panoramic Photographers on Facebook? Or to the PTGui and hugin groups?
>
> However, how shall we proceed? I guess I'm not the only one who still reads the group and is willing to answer. So why not simply revive it? Or shall we close it alltogether? What's your opinion?
>
> Please reply anyone, even if you don't have an opinion. I'd just like to know how many still read...
>
> Erik Krause

Re: What shall we do with this group.

No no please keep it open Erik I think what has happened is that the new Ricoh theta s has taken the market by storm and has today got 3000 members in a year so I guess they are looking there at the moment

I still find it a wealth of information and would hate to see it shut down our site is clearly a professional site although all are welcome.

While there is a plethora of new quick and dirty 360 cameras out there the die hard will always come back with our ptgui and nodal heads and spend hours stitching and playing in Photoshop to get it right!

Cheers

Neil

Neil Scott
Sent from my 🇪🇸 iPhone

> On 26 Apr 2016, at 18:53, [hidden email] [PanoToolsNG] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> one or the other might remember, I'm one of the panotoolsNG moderators.
>
> Our lovely and once so active PanotoolsNG group seems almost dead. Although we still have 1900+ members and some requests for approval each week apparently no one dares to ask or write something. Where has all this activity gone? To Panoramic Photographers on Facebook? Or to the PTGui and hugin groups?
>
> However, how shall we proceed? I guess I'm not the only one who still reads the group and is willing to answer. So why not simply revive it? Or shall we close it alltogether? What's your opinion?
>
> Please reply anyone, even if you don't have an opinion. I'd just like to know how many still read...
>
> Erik Krause

Re: What shall we do with this group.

I agree with Caroling, keep it, if only for the archives.

 I have been on this group and the one that preceded it, and on Prof. Dersch's list before that.

 Although I still read most of the postings (they are emailed to me) I rarely reply, however occasionally I learn something from it that is new to me, and that is why I keep at it.

 Yes, time goes on, platforms and people change, so it is good to ask.  Thanks for all the effort you have put into it, it is NOT unappreciated.

 :-)

 ~ Rusty

Re: What shall we do with this group.

Hello
I’m still here

πLucio
Pierlucio Pellissier
[hidden email]

> On Apr 26, 2016, at 12:53 PM, [hidden email] [PanoToolsNG] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> one or the other might remember, I'm one of the panotoolsNG moderators.
>
> Our lovely and once so active PanotoolsNG group seems almost dead. Although we still have 1900+ members and some requests for approval each week apparently no one dares to ask or write something. Where has all this activity gone? To Panoramic Photographers on Facebook? Or to the PTGui and hugin groups?
>
> However, how shall we proceed? I guess I'm not the only one who still reads the group and is willing to answer. So why not simply revive it? Or shall we close it alltogether? What's your opinion?
>
> Please reply anyone, even if you don't have an opinion. I'd just like to know how many still read...
>
> Erik Krause

Re: What shall we do with this group.

I've been here since the early 2000s... which hurts my brain a bit.  The
archive is well worth it.

And I still read messages as I have time.

On Tue, Apr 26, 2016 at 1:22 PM, [hidden email] [PanoToolsNG] <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I agree with Caroling, keep it, if only for the archives.
>
> I have been on this group and the one that preceded it, and on Prof.
> Dersch's list before that.
>
> Although I still read most of the postings (they are emailed to me) I
> rarely reply, however occasionally I learn something from it that is new to
> me, and that is why I keep at it.
>
> Yes, time goes on, platforms and people change, so it is good to ask.
> Thanks for all the effort you have put into it, it is NOT unappreciated.
>
> :-)
>
> ~ Rusty

Re: What shall we do with this group.

Well I guess that got a response :-)

Re: What shall we do with this group.

Still here too!

Philo

Thanks for that pointer to Nabble.  Much nicer interface.

On Tue 26-Apr-2016 at 09:53 -0700, PanoTools NG wrote:

> Our lovely and once so active PanotoolsNG group seems almost dead.
> Although we still have 1900+ members and some requests for
> approval each week apparently no one dares to ask or write
> something. Where has all this activity gone? To Panoramic
> Photographers on Facebook? Or to the PTGui and hugin groups?
>
> However, how shall we proceed? I guess I'm not the only one who
> still reads the group and is willing to answer. So why not simply
> revive it? Or shall we close it alltogether? What's your opinion?
>
> Please reply anyone, even if you don't have an opinion. I'd just
> like to know how many still read...

Hi Erik, I'm not on facebook and the hugin-ptx mailing list is quite
active but mostly about the software, so general panoramic
photography topics here would be welcome.

--
Bruno
@brunopostle
Homemaker adaptive domestic design https://bitbucket.org/brunopostle/urb/wiki/Start

Re: What shall we do with this group.

Hi Erik, I still read this.
I hope the general consensus is to keep it going, and hopefully re-energise it

Jef

Email:  [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
Web:    http://www.jeffstarley.com <http://www.jeffstarley.com/>
DISCLAIMER: This email and the information it contains are private and
confidential and are intended for the addressee only.  The unauthorised use,
disclosure, copying or distribution of this email or any of the information
it contains is prohibited and may be unlawful.  If you are not the intended
recipient please notify the sender immediately.

Re: What shall we do with this group.

Neil,

Where is it that the 3000 Theta S users are looking?

Brian

1.13 Re: What shall we do with this group.
Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:21 am (PDT) . Posted by: "Neil Scott" jntservicios
No no please keep it open Erik I think what has happened is that the new Ricoh theta s has taken the market by storm and has today got 3000 members in a year so I guess they are looking there at the moment

Re: What shall we do with this group.

I still read with interest what posts do trickle out.

I did wonder where all the beginners are these days. This group
helped me enormously with hiccups in the "teething" stage of pano
production, and then later when I branched out into more advanced
techniques.

Surely there must still be folk starting out needing help and advice?
What about the people wanting to produce non-standard panos and "push
 the envelope" a bit? This group used to fairly buzz with innovation in
this regard.

I had imagined the more prolific posters had moved on to other
forums/media such as Facebook etc.

Are there any other thriving pano forums these days?

Keith Davison

__._,_.___

Posted by: "Keith Davison" <[hidden email]>

Upgrade your account with the latest Yahoo Mail app
Get organized with the fast and easy-to-use Yahoo Mail app. Upgrade today!

.

__,_._,___

Re: What shall we do with this group.

Danila Razin from Oslo

> Den 26. apr. 2016 kl. 18.53 skrev [hidden email] [PanoToolsNG] <[hidden email]>:
>
> Hello,
>
> one or the other might remember, I'm one of the panotoolsNG moderators.
>
> Our lovely and once so active PanotoolsNG group seems almost dead. Although we still have 1900+ members and some requests for approval each week apparently no one dares to ask or write something. Where has all this activity gone? To Panoramic Photographers on Facebook? Or to the PTGui and hugin groups?
>
> However, how shall we proceed? I guess I'm not the only one who still reads the group and is willing to answer. So why not simply revive it? Or shall we close it alltogether? What's your opinion?
>
> Please reply anyone, even if you don't have an opinion. I'd just like to know how many still read...
>
> Erik Krause

Re: What shall we do with this group.

I'm still read the posts. Just have not been doing many panos these days, hope to do more soon. Been working with some white lions and a white tiger which takes up a lot of my time.

Sent from my iPhone
12345