Quantcast

enfuse question / using enfuse for median stacking to de-noise

enfuse question / using enfuse for median stacking to de-noise

PanoTools NG mailing list
hi all,

i'm looking for some help from serious enfuse cracks here :-)

besides its normal use case enfuse can be used for stacking astro photo
sequences to reduce high ISO noise and remove unwanted elements like air
planes, distant car lights and satellites.

i'm using 8 images per stack and i get quite good results in enfuseGUI with:
exposure=1
contrast=0
saturation=0
mu=0
sigma=0.2
hard masks=off
... but there are faint traces left of some air plane trails.

when i use photoshops median stacking these trails can be removed
completely.

i'm not able to dive into enfuse's mathematic esoterics.

so does anybody here know with what parameter setting i can get the same
results as in photoshops median stacking? i think i'm not that far away
from the right numbers.

any help is very much appreciated!

thanks in advance
best
thomas

Re: enfuse question / using enfuse for median stacking to de-noise

PanoTools NG mailing list
Am 13.09.2016 um 11:55 schrieb Thomas Bredenfeld:
> so does anybody here know with what parameter setting i can get the same
> results as in photoshops median stacking? i think i'm not that far away
> from the right numbers.

Sorry, but enfuse doesn't do median stacking. With the exposure
parameter set to 1 it will consider pixels from each input image that
are neither over- nor underexposed (except of course they are over- or
underexposed in all images).

With the saturation parameter it looks for the most saturated pixels,
with the contrast parameter it looks for pixels with the highest
contrast to it's neighbors, which makes it suitable for focus stacking.
The parameters are weights, so you can mix them in any proportion.

For astro photography there are specialized stacking programs like f.e.
http://deepskystacker.free.fr/

Re: [[GMX]] [PanoToolsNG] Re: enfuse question / using enfuse for median stacking to de-noise

PanoTools NG mailing list
thank you for your explanation, erik!

Am 13.09.16 um 12:50 schrieb Erik Krause [hidden email] [PanoToolsNG]:
> Am 13.09.2016 um 11:55 schrieb Thomas Bredenfeld:
>> so does anybody here know with what parameter setting i can get the same
>> results as in photoshops median stacking? i think i'm not that far away
>> from the right numbers.
>
> Sorry, but enfuse doesn't do median stacking.

hhhmm, but obviously enfuse does some "kind of" a weighted averaging as
most of the plane and and satellite trails are disappearing and the
noise is significantly reduced.

> With the exposure
> parameter set to 1 it will consider pixels from each input image that
> are neither over- nor underexposed (except of course they are over- or
> underexposed in all images).

this means, the result pixel luminance is an average from each image?
this would explain the noise reduction...

> With the saturation parameter it looks for the most saturated pixels,
> with the contrast parameter it looks for pixels with the highest
> contrast to it's neighbors, which makes it suitable for focus stacking.
> The parameters are weights, so you can mix them in any proportion.

ok. this is, what i understood from the documentation as far as i can
decipher the mathematic stuff shown there :-)

> For astro photography there are specialized stacking programs like f.e.
> http://deepskystacker.free.fr/

using enfuse instead of a dedicated astro stacker has the advantage to
be fed directly from lightroom with raws (and temp tifs of couse) via
LR/enfuse or via tiffs to enfuseGUI so material for astro panos can be
processed quite comfortably and relatively quick.
and: the majority of astro apps are windows only... (i'm on a mac).

best
thomas

Re: ] Re: enfuse question / using enfuse for median stacking to de-noise

PanoTools NG mailing list

Am 13.09.2016 um 14:57 schrieb Thomas Bredenfeld:
> hhhmm, but obviously enfuse does some "kind of" a weighted averaging as
> most of the plane and and satellite trails are disappearing and the
> noise is significantly reduced.

Yes, it does. It weigts the pixels using a gaussian curve. The main
characteristics of that curve are controlled with mu (actually µ ) and
sigma. mu is the center point and sigma the width.

The reason why satellite trails disappear is that they are most likely
overexposed compared to the other images. So perhaps if you play with mu
you could make them disapear completely. enfuseGUI used to have controls
for that which make experimenting very easy.

Re: [[GMX]] [PanoToolsNG] Re: ] Re: enfuse question / using enfuse for median stacking to de-noise

PanoTools NG mailing list
thanks for your additional hints, erik!
this helps.

Am 13.09.16 um 15:48 schrieb Erik Krause [hidden email] [PanoToolsNG]:

> Am 13.09.2016 um 14:57 schrieb Thomas Bredenfeld:
>> hhhmm, but obviously enfuse does some "kind of" a weighted averaging as
>> most of the plane and and satellite trails are disappearing and the
>> noise is significantly reduced.
>
> Yes, it does. It weigts the pixels using a gaussian curve. The main
> characteristics of that curve are controlled with mu (actually µ ) and
> sigma. mu is the center point and sigma the width.
>
> The reason why satellite trails disappear is that they are most likely
> overexposed compared to the other images. So perhaps if you play with mu
> you could make them disapear completely. enfuseGUI used to have controls
> for that which make experimenting very easy.

Re: [[GMX]] [PanoToolsNG] Re: ] Re: enfuse question / using enfuse for median stacking to de-noise

PanoTools NG mailing list
Infuse! Not sure if I am doing something wrong. I have not been able to use Enfuse for years, I am on Mac though?
Ron Rack

Am 16.09.2016 um 19:19 schrieb R Rack:
> Infuse! Not sure if I am doing something wrong. I have not been able
> to use Enfuse for years, I am on Mac though?

There should be Mac builds. It should be contained in the latest hugin
package:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/hugin/files/hugin/hugin-2016.2/

Re: [[GMX]] [PanoToolsNG] Re: enfuse question / using enfuse for median stacking to de-noise

PanoTools NG mailing list
... and you can use enfuseGUI on a mac:
http://software.bergmark.com/enfusegui/Main.html

the commandline tools are living here together with enblend:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/enblend/files/enblend-enfuse/enblend-enfuse-4.2/