Quantcast

handhel lightmeter OT?

A Kielcz
Hi,
Does it make sense using handheld meter anymore, for incident light, etc.? I know that cameras now have such advanced meters today, but...
I have Gossen Luna Pro Cds and am thinking to upgrade to digital version. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

A Kielcz
Cincinnati, Ohio, U.S.A.

Re: handhel lightmeter OT?

jimbo
Hey there,
For what it's worth I truly got a kick out of your post.. It's coming form a space of how far our fancy cameras have come.. and yes they have evolved significantly. So ... that being said what now... Ok your camera works off reflective light measurement and your meter (assuming you use it the way I do) is incident which is reality..and not the same.. So yes  if you use incident light rather then reflective you'll end up with a better job.. I will say this ..that on the other end we do indeed have some wiggle room in raw.... the sad part is that most of us think we have more then what's really there..
I guess if I were to close this.. nothing will replace proper photographic techniques.. I think that for many with all fancy digital stuff going on we think we don't need to know that stuff.. but like any craft ..photography is not an absolute...thank God.....  so if you wanto be part of a huge conglomerate of just average,... well jump in..but on the other hand if you choose to cock the brim of your hat to the left and say this is an art form so I'll make my own rules thank you.. anyway keep your meter and use it..you can't get squat for it on the used market  so maybe see what value it brings to you..

jimbo

Am 24.02.2012 20:43, schrieb A Kielcz:
> I have Gossen Luna Pro Cds and am thinking to upgrade to digital
> version. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

I don't think there's a benefit for panorama shooting. A spot lightmeter
would be good to determine exactly the exposure range from darkest to
lightest region, but an average meter like this one won't tell you much.
Some quick test shots and looking at the histogram will give you far
more information.

Re: handhel lightmeter OT?

A Kielcz
I have 5 and 10 degree spot attachment for my Gossen.

A Kielcz
Cincinnati, Ohio, U.S.A.

________________________________

Am 25.02.2012 02:01, schrieb A Kielcz:
> I have 5 and 10 degree spot attachment for my Gossen.

For a Luna Pro Cds?
-> http://www.jollinger.com/photo/meters/meters/gossen_lunapro.html

This is a historical lightmeter where you don't even get the correct
batteries for (at least not in Germany)....

Re: handhel lightmeter OT?

A Kielcz
Gossen makes an adapter for a battery for this meter, so you don't have to use mercury battery anymore.

A Kielcz
Cincinnati, Ohio, U.S.A.

________________________________
> I have 5 and 10 degree spot attachment for my Gossen.

For a Luna Pro Cds?
-> http://www.jollinger.com/photo/meters/meters/gossen_lunapro.html

This is a historical lightmeter where you don't even get the correct
batteries for (at least not in Germany)....

Re: handhel lightmeter OT?

Quentin Desouza
Normally Mercury batteries are used because they have a very constant
voltage till end of life.
Hence this voltage is used as a reference standard voltage.
In the case of a measuring instrument having a stable reference is very
important.
Today with the help of modern band gap references Gossen may have made a
solid state reference voltage but this aspect should be checked with him
or your readings may not be accurate.
Quentin
Mumbai India.

A Kielcz wrote:

> Gossen makes an adapter for a battery for this meter, so you don't
> have to use mercury battery anymore.
>
> A Kielcz
> Cincinnati, Ohio, U.S.A.

Re: handhel lightmeter OT?

A Kielcz
here

A Kielcz wrote:

>Gossen makes an adapter for a battery for this meter, so
you don't have to use mercury battery anymore.

>A Kielcz
>Cincinnati, Ohio, U.S.A.
>

>________________________________
24, 2012 8:26 PM
>Subject: [PanoToolsNG]
Re: handhel lightmeter OT?

>Am 25.02.2012 02:01, schrieb A Kielcz:
>> I have 5 and 10 degree spot attachment for my Gossen.
>
>For a Luna Pro Cds?
>-> http://www.jollinger.com/photo/meters/meters/gossen_lunapro.html
>
>This is a historical lightmeter where you don't even get the correct
>batteries for (at least not in Germany)....
>
>--
>Erik Krause
>http://www.erik-krause.de

Re: handhel lightmeter OT?

Quentin Desouza
Thanks but I will not be able to tell if there is a Low dropout Voltage
regulator.
Quentin.

A Kielcz wrote:

> here
>  http://www.jollinger.com/photo/meters/meters/gossen_lunapro.html
>
> A Kielcz
> Cincinnati, Ohio, U.S.A.

Re: handhel lightmeter OT?

uricogan

--- In [hidden email], Quentin Desouza <quentin@...> wrote:

> Thanks but I will not be able to tell if there is a Low dropout Voltage
> regulator.

The light meter has its own voltage regulator. The 'Check Battery' display has a wide range of voltages over which the meter will function properly.

Most digital cameras have excellent spot meters built in. To measure incident light, all you need is to measure a standard grey card that faces the main light source, so I don't see the point of using a hand-held meter at all, unless it's for some very special situations.

Besides, what does any of this have anything to do with panoramas?

Re: handhel lightmeter OT?

Am 26.02.2012 19:29, schrieb Uri:

> The light meter has its own voltage regulator. The 'Check Battery'
> display has a wide range of voltages over which the meter will
> function properly.

May be a modern one, but the Luna-Pro CDS? Do you know how old this is?
It was built from 1961 to the late 70s. They used mercury cells
*because* they had no voltage regulator.

> Most digital cameras have excellent spot meters built in.

You think? A good spot meter has down to 1° angle of incidence or even
lower. What camera features this? Ok, you can put on a telephoto lens
for measurement, but who will ever do that...

> Besides, what does any of this have anything to do with panoramas?

Exposure is vital for any kind of photography, but it's even more
crucial for panoramas: How to balance between dark an bright parts?
Even if you shoot HDR: What should be the brightest and darkest
exposure? You are much faster decide this with a good spot lightmeter.

Re: handhel lightmeter OT?

Tived
Well, I want to chip in here,

I use both, I mean I use my lightmeter (Sekonic 608), the camera reading in-camera but also look at the histogram in my live-view, as I swing the camera from side to side.

What is handy with my lightmeter is that I can take 10 readings and average them out. I definately don't think that lightmeters are obsolite yet. One thing I think is more important, or equally as one can not do with some sort of metering (be it manual or auto) is color meters, and again we can shoot a grey card, 24-patch Macbeth chart et...

I would buy one if they were not so bl**dy expensive ;-)

anyway, just my $.02

PS: In camera 1Degree or less spot meter is archived with a very long lens ;-)